Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
CrownRay

Default Check those engine hoses regularly!

Ok, so this isn't Exactly a Winnipesaukee story, but it does involve a Boat, and we do have our other boat on the lake...so it COULD have happened on the lake...

Friday night, we are slowly crusing on Boston Harbor in our SeaRay 260. Once I passed the "Hyatt", I went to give the boat throttle. Suddenly, the engine struggled, then quit, and a loud alarm went off. The engine display said something like "water pressure". So, here I am, in the dark, in the middle of the harbor. Instictivly , I turn on the bildge pump. My wife yells "Wow, look at the water comming out!" It was GUSHING out of the bildge. I go to open the engine hatch...it wont open electronically! In the crazyness, I did not think of the bypass pin! So, with all this water gushing out, I quickly pick up the radio and hail the Coast Guard. Turns out we were not taking on water, but we were towed home.

Long story short, the next day, after a long inspection, I found the closed-cooling system hose dangling. The clamp holding it in place was rotted and broke. The hatch did not open becuase all the water shorted out the motor that lifts it.

So, a quick 100.00 and a few parts will get her up and running.

Maybe I over-reacted by hailing a May-Day but it was pitch dark, late at night, and I had never, in 30 years, seen a bildge pump gush so much! Thank God for Sea-Tow and the great people of the US Coast Guard and State Police. They were all very freindly, and assured me I did the right thing.

So, check those hoses folks! We have the SAME engine in our Crownline, so, I know what Ill be doing next time I go up there!
Senter Cove Guy (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
camp guy

Default Engine hoses

Thanks for the 'first person heads up' about engine hoses.

I used to work at a marina and we routinely used two stainless steel hose clamps at each end of a hose connection. The chance of both failing at once is low, and the cost of the second clamp is minimal compared to the potential cost of the damage from water.

Also, get into a routine of regularly checking all hose clamp connections for tightness.

I am glad you didn't experience any more serious trouble.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
8gv

As I was reading your post I was thinking it was a gas leak.

I'm glad it wasn't.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
SAB1

+1 on doubling up the stainless clamps. Gotta love salt water!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

And don't use clamps from the auto parts store-use marine grade stainless for everything. Don't know what the tech spec is for marine grade but West Marine would sell them. Automotive grade won't do it, in either fresh or salt water. Doubling up is the way to go too-just don't tighten them to the point where they cut into the hose.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Rich

Here's a true (related) story from when I was a teenager.

I was on my Dad's boat, and we were about a mile out from Gloucester harbor fishing. I was standing on the fantail of the boat and looked down and said to my dad "the water looks a lot closer than usual". He didn't believe me.

I had to tell him a couple of times before we checked further. Opening a hatch to look into the bilge we saw about 2 to 3 feet of water where it should have been dry (this was a 44' Egg Harbor Sport Fish)!

We turned on the bilge pumps and called the Coast Guard. Luckily the water was pumped out, and didn't seem to be coming in any more.

We started to head back to shore, keeping the Coast Guard on the radio, and noticed water coming in again. The faster we went, the faster the water came in.

We made it back in without the help of the Coast Guard.

The issue was that a rubber hose between the exhaust manifold and the stern had broken, so the cooling water from one engine was being pumped into the bilge instead of overboard.

So yes, check your clamps, but also check all hoses for any deterioration. If they look dry, cracked, or 'just not right' you're better off to replace them and be safe, than to be a cheap yankee and wait for a failure to occur.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Good Move!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
Maybe I over-reacted by hailing a May-Day but it was pitch dark, late at night, and I had never, in 30 years, seen a bildge pump gush so much!
CrownRay;

No way did you over react!

You had no idea why so much water was coming in, it was dark and you had people to take care of so you called in your mayday first as you should have, took care of your passengers safety and then attempted to eliminate the problem issue.

You did exactly what you should have and should be pleased with yourself for making a proper Captains decision!

Good going!

Dan