Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
jetskier

Default Waterskiing at the Weirs

Hi all,

I was out today and there was a rental from Anchor Marine towing a skier just beyond the Wiers Channel. First, the operator had no clue regarding the navigational rules. I was on his right and had to completely change direction to avoid him. Second, that is an incredibly dangerous place to tow a waterskier. In all the time I have been on the lake I have never seen a waterskier in that area. I hope Anchor reads this and makes sure that their rentals are more informed. I don't want to read about a fatality in the paper.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
wildwoodfam

Default Wouldn't the folks at Anchor have noticed?

It sounds like they were skiing right in front of the Weirs? I would agree - thats a horrible place to ski - not only is it dangerous - but the waves would make it near impossible to stay up! It would be odd to see someone trying to ski in that area!!

OR - are you talking about the Paugus side? I see an awful lot of skiers on that side of the channel - they come up and loop around and head back down Paugus. We would be guilty of that ourselves - never saw it as a problem - though we owuld never do it on a weekend!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
jetskier

Default The Weirs Side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam
It sounds like they were skiing right in front of the Weirs? I would agree - thats a horrible place to ski - not only is it dangerous - but the waves would make it near impossible to stay up! It would be odd to see someone trying to ski in that area!!

OR - are you talking about the Paugus side? I see an awful lot of skiers on that side of the channel - they come up and loop around and head back down Paugus. We would be guilty of that ourselves - never saw it as a problem - though we owuld never do it on a weekend!
Hi Wildwoodfam,

It was on the Weirs side! The Paugus side is not an issue at all...especially off to the side in the cove. There are a ton of tubes and skiers there...but, on the Weirs side there is huge chop and many converging boats. Incidently, the skier was not staying up. My primary concern was that someone would run him over as he was not particularly visible after falling in the chop.

I would expect the rental facilities to tell people where they should ski. There are a number of very quiet coves that people can safely ski and tube. Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Weirs guy

WOW, thats, just, WOW. I remember seeing people do it when I was a kid (and dodging the sea plane landings as well) but not in the last 10 years or so. Bet the people on the beach had a good show!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote