Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
WakeUp

Default Slowest Bike Week In Recent Memory....

I have visited Meredith/Gilford/Laconia/Wolfeboro religiously over the past number of years during bike week. I was shocked at the lack of activity this past Thurs/Friday at locations such as the NASWA, etc. Last year, I needed to wait to find a slip at the NASWA....this year there were 3 boats docked. (This was early afternoon.) Wolfeboro is normally lined with bikes. Friday morning there were only 8 along the street. The entire 'vibe' felt off this year. My theory is: Normally bike week ends on Father's Day...this year it started on Father's Day. I think people booked time in NH as early as last summer not realizing the date change. They were disappointed to find out they were 1 week early for the event. As far as the economy as a reason, not buying it. Bikes just don't drink that much gas. Plus, the difference of gas price this year vs last summer is roughly $1.50/gal. If a motorcycle uses 20 gallons, that's only $30.00. Not enough to keep someone away.

What are the results of this year? My prediction is it will go down as one of the slowest in history when factoring in all lake-shore communities.
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
dpg

The econmy and the price of gas WILL keep people home. People are busy trying to keep up with their rising bills at home let alone bringing up say $400.00-$600.00 for a week long bike rally who knows but that may be a conservative guess. How about the bike that maybe are not even working this year?

Yup, the time change probably did have a huge impact.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
froggy

You may be only partially correct.
However, several people who rent very sizable vendor space said their vendors had sales way ahead of last year!
One even said the best $$$ ever on a first Saturday!

Many many many said people do not necessarily consider Fathers Day; the calendar's dates were well-known in the bike traveling world.

The count of people were down, yes, but who cares; it's the $$$ spent, with businesses directly related.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
hockeypuck

I think you are correct about the time change for "Bike Week". I was up north fishing in Pittsburg NH on the days prior to Father's Day weekend and ran into quite a few bikers (no injuries) up there, some said they always go to NH on this week. So maybe the bike crowd was spread out over two weeks instead of just one. Many bikers don't go to Laconia but travel the northern parts of the state. Cheaper accommodations, different crowd, different experience. Some especially the not so hard core ones will trailer their bikes or throw them into the back of a pickup truck. Those vehicles suck down the gas. All in all it doesn't surprise me that the numbers might be down this year.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
chipj29

No doubt in my mind that it was a very slow bike week. I just did not see/hear the usual amount of traffic on any day in the last 2 weeks. Not even close IMO. Maybe the numbers will end up being ok, as they are spread out over almost 2 weeks. I dunno...
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Cristen

Yes, Bike Week was not very crowded this year. I think it being the week after Father's Day had something to do with it. The first weekend was a lot more crowded than the second which is unusual.

I also noticed there were not as many vendors as in years past. I heard the cost for vendor space has gone up significantly, so maybe it's not worth it for them.

All in all, it was a great week and the weather was good, so no complaints!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
vmartino26

We were up for both weekends this year. It seems the weekends were okay, but from what I've heard and read Monday through Thursday was pretty quiet. It seems Bike Week has become Bike Weekend or even Bike Day for some people. That may have something to do with the economy. Rather than spending money over the week, a weekend or day trip was sufficient. And more cost effective. My wife also thinks being in NH on Father's Day is a tradition for some, so the first weekend was busy, but things slowed after that. Oh, well. And now -- bring on the summer!
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
RI Swamp Yankee

I think they were all in North Conway. The Mount Washington Valley C of C advertised their "Rally in the Valley"

The Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce and the MWV HOG Chapter invites "All Motorcyclists" to our Mountain Motorcycle Adventure located in beautiful Mount Washington Valley in the heart of the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/pg_mwv/pg_mwv_28.cfm

Thre was no shortage of bikes in the Valley. Some motels / hotels even had "parking tents" to keep them dry during the rains.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
hazelnut

Default Hmmmm

Not sure I would agree with that. I saw pretty huge BIKER crowds this year. I never ever waited in traffic on my bike as much as I did this year in the 10 past years of bike week. I sat in traffic Saturday morning from JB scoops all the way through Meredith for at least a half an hour. Never happened before as far as I can recall. Judging bike week by boat dock space at the Nasua isn't really an indication of "bike week" attendance. Personally I thought it was typical to crowded. Just my opinion.... others who were there, am I off?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Not many people here

Judging by the traffic on Weirs Boulevard and route 11B there were substantially less people here this year. The first Saturday traffic backed up but that was the busiest day. Monday through Wednesday it looked like the same traffic you would see in April, not Bike Week. Thursday through the last weekend the traffic hardly backed up at all. In previous years the traffic has been stopped on Weirs Boulevard for a good part of both weekends and backed up for the last four days for sure. There seem to be less people here every year.

Too many Police officers tripping over each other while intimidating people, not enough entertainment or interesting things for people to do. After all, how many times do you want to go to the beer tent and get drunk, or look at the same leather goods, tatoos and t shirts that have been here for the last fourty years. Something needs to be done to spark up the event, to add some interesting things to do or different activities and entertainment, or it will soon be gone. Changing the week was a big mistake too. I hope that they go back to the correct week next year.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #11
Paugusbaby

Just to clarify - Bike week dates were not changed this year. Bike week starts the second Saturday of June - and Father's Day is the third Sunday of June, so in the normal couse, Bike Week ends on Father's Day. Because June 1st fell on a Sunday this year, the second Saturday and third Sunday fell on the same weekend. As for crowds, there is no doubt that attendance was down. I was up on both weekends. The first weekend was busy, but by Friday, you could pretty much ride anywhere without worrying about traffic. Not sure why - I think the reasons are many - but I enjoyed my time.
Paugusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Anyone think its time to downshift from a nine-day to say, a four or five day event? Isn't the Harley Davidson factory tour that sets up in the Laconia City Hall parking lot a four-day event?

How about scheduling a five day, Wednesday - Sunday, motorcycle educational experience that is not just a family event. Let's put the buzz back into MC Week!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
...After all, how many times do you want to go to the beer tent and get drunk, or look at the same leather goods, tatoos and t shirts that have been here for the last fourty years. Something needs to be done to spark up the event, to add some interesting things to do or different activities and entertainment, or it will soon be gone...

That's why I gave up on it, just boredom.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

[QUOTE=Personally I thought it was typical to crowded. Just my opinion.... others who were there, am I off?[/QUOTE]

I think your off...This was the lowest attended rally I have ever been to, and I have been to MANY. Yes the first weekend (especially the first Saturday) was extremely busy, but it completely died after that. The following Thursday and Friday, which are normally the biggest days were dead. There were many camp sites available at the seasonal place I am at and that is a 1/4 mile from Silver Sands!! All the local store owners I talked to said sales were way down compared to years past.

I have to agree with TiltonBB, something has to change. How many T-shirt vendors does the Rally really need. It's the same old stuff year after year. The Rally needs to bring in something new to keep people interested and coming.

I have a bike and I enjoy the rally but after a day or two I am all set. I do enjoy going over by boat, docking at the weirs and meeting up with friends for lunch.

Take care;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
That's why I gave up on it, just boredom.
That is certainly a factor for me- not much has changed, but I have. So we go for great rides but with few exceptions don't go to the Weirs or surrounding much. I was there for 1st weekend, worked Mon and Tuesday and did the rest of bikeweek from my house in Moultonborough (running the gauntlet!!)

Also as was noted above, bike week has spread out from the Weirs and has become a more statewide event. Conway, Meredith HD, etc never had much going on in the past at bike week, now they are destinations. I remember sitting in 2-3 hours of traffic to get from B. Maes to the Weirs on a friday or sat night.

It was kind of nice getting a parking spot Sat at 7 at the Naswa and then easily riding to the Spoke at 8 (also parked right outside the gate), but I am concerned that the event is losing steam and there will be pressure to shorten it.

The PD presence is overwhelming- I am not looking for it to be lawless, but if people don't think they can have a little fun without a hassle, they will vote with their feet!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
hazelnut

Guess I was off??

Seemed crowded where I was. I guess it's all in your perception. I'm basing my opinion on one traffic jam. I guess I'll have to rethink the time I was there and figure out if it was really that slow.

Overall I do agree with some of the sentiments on the forum here. Things are stagnant with the event and some creativity may be in order to spice it up.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

I've been to most of the last 20 years.No doubt this was the slowest.I am always on Weirs Blvd on Paugus Bay so it's a good indicator the amount of traffic.The early reports I've seen say this is now the 4th or 5th year in a row with declining attendence.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
fatnoah

I never realized that the date was set as the second week of June. I grew up in LA (as I like to call Laconia) and have always associated "Motorcycle Weekend" with Father's Day.
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
Formula260SS

Crowd seemed OK to me, Thursday we rode north but Friday we were kind of hung around. Wiers was busy and the traffic to get to harley a mile past fun spot made us turn around.

I'm sure it was slower than years past but what isn't right now ? Let's see if the lake perks up, last year I thought it was quiet overall, we'll see how it works out this year
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
redc5

It's not just Laconia, attendance at Daytona was down almost 40% this year too
redc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #21
Paugusbaby

I agree with you fatnoah. It was not until this year that I read about the second Saturday in June thing. Then again I never knew Father's Day was always the 3rd Sunday in June. Shows how much attention I pay to things!
Paugusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
froggy

Default However......

HOWEVER, let's not speculate. Counts do say lower, but so are vehicles at the toll booths on the highways, all month long.

Do we know if the visitors spent less money at places "off the beaten bike paths"? Not restaurants along their routes in weirs, but places easily found like Mame's in Meredith, or Lake House Grille? Did riders frequent Main Streets, Meredith and Laconia?
Did the take-over of municipal parking in downtown Laconia effect businesses, negatively or positively. One business owner told me a month ago that they planned to just close from Wednesday thru Saturday! To me that's a severe negative impact, but I'd guess that Black Cat was positively effected.

Oh well!!!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #23
nj2nh

While at the lake last week, I heard on the Wolfeboro station that everything for Bike Week was off - sales, income, etc. They reported that it was much tamer than usual.

nj2nh
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #24
Airwaves

I can only tell you that while I was there for the entire week (which I now think is morphing back into Bike Week End again) the bike traffic was down on 11B big time! I didn't even bother to go to the Weirs myself this year, I can get tee shirts on-line!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #25
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I work a t a time share resort in Wolfeboro. I also noticed this year the complete lack of parked bikes on Main street. I couldn't believe it when on one of the "sun" moments this year that there was not one bike anywhere in the center or near the town docks.

I also disagree with the price of agass not affecting bikers. Many tow ther bikes up, and many come from great distances.
The turn out would much greater if the rally was held during the last two weeks of July and not rainy June. This has been mentioned many times before. But because many companies also close or have there slow downs during that time period, no one ever wanted to shut down the streets to the tourists, and vacationers.

But think of it this way. By this time next year...with gas prices going to $7-$8-$9 per gallon...every week is going to be bike...well bicycle....week, and you won't see as many people up here on vacation, there will be plenty of boat parking at the Naswa...Canoes that is..and lots of people will start moving back to the cities....The tax base will plummet and kids will be back walking to school, as the busses will be too expensive to run.....So, Bike week will be a distant memory in a few years time.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #26
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post

But think of it this way. By this time next year...with gas prices going to $7-$8-$9 per gallon...every week is going to be bike...well bicycle....week, and you won't see as many people up here on vacation, there will be plenty of boat parking at the Naswa...Canoes that is..and lots of people will start moving back to the cities....The tax base will plummet and kids will be back walking to school, as the busses will be too expensive to run.....So, Bike week will be a distant memory in a few years time.
Nahh... It'll be "motor scooter week." They're kind of like motorcycles. Actually I think it'll just start looking more and more like it used to be/always was, and less like the giant it became in just the last few years. And if rail transit keeps up its current upward trend maybe you'll see people loading unloading their motorbikes from flat cars arriving with a mixed pass/freight at Weirs Beach. Or who knows, maybe it'll be all solar power bikes or something, and people will go "oooooh" and "ahhhhhh" when some guy shows off his gas powered bike and he'll get to say something like, "Back then, bikes couldn't even levitate so if you got stuck in traffic, you had to stay on the ground..."

On a more serious note, I did notice the lack of "rumble" from across the water this year. As posted on another thread, several of my friends noticed "How quiet it is on the shore" the first few days of Bike Week. It was easier to hear loons than bikes. The rumble didn't become audible until about Wednesday this year. One other thing I noticed was the rumble quieted down early in the evening compared to before when it used to go until 3 am. I was out driving on Friday and got stuck in lots of Bike Week traffic. I think a lot of people came, but they had stayed home most of the week, probably to keep up with bills and keep food/lodging expenses down.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #27
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post

One other thing I noticed was the rumble quieted down early in the evening compared to before when it used to go until 3 am.
The Harley riders are getting too old for the 3:00 am stuff. That's for the kids on the crotch rockets and you can't hear them unless they really wind it out.