Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
gravy boat

Default Ellacoya

We just went to Ellacoya and left after five minutes. Nobody acknowledged us or said that someone would be with us. Two employees in the bar area and only one table full.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
Eric Weiss (01-27-2014), RLW (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hmmmmm.

Used to see that before they remodeled, and I hoped that this situation would be solved.

Once they did the remodel, and the reception desk was totally out of the bar area, I hoped that wouldn't exacerbate the situation. Obviously it has.

We haven't been there since golf ended. We used to stop there for Burger Monday, and they had a sign to walk in or seat yourself, or words to that effect.

Sorry, GB, I hate to poor service creeping in here.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
gillygirl

We encountered the same thing last summer, so we went in and got someone's attention. It was around the same time of day as gb. We were told they were having a meeting about that night's specials. What is the problem with giving that info to a few people who can cover the restaurant while the rest of the crew gets the briefing?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
gravy boat (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
gravy boat

Default Woodlands excellent

We went to woodlands and awesome experience! Attentive staff, great service and excellent food! And they were much busier than Ellacoya....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-27-2014), Eric Weiss (01-27-2014), minni on winni (01-27-2014), upthesaukee (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
Duke's

We went there at least once a week for years, usually on Mondays. We only sit at the bar so I can't comment on the service on the floor. Over the past few years the bar service has been on a downward spiral. A few months ago we went in on a Monday afternoon. There were two customers at the bar. One man had his credit card in his hand and was trying to get the bartender's attention, but she was on her cell phone!! We managed to put our order in and received it. Then an employee came in with a tray of sweets and the entire staff went in the kitchen where they were chatting it up while we waited for service. We left there saying "never again". There are other options in the Lakes Region. It's too bad, because it's a nice place with decent food, but there's an air of indifference that's hard to ignore.
Duke's is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
minni on winni

Unhappy

We have never been and thanks to your posts never will bother to go. I hope the manager reads these posts because really How do you survive in a service field when you have no customer skills! I get so annoyed when I witness a lack of common sense and cell phone use should be limited to break time!
minni on winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Whimsey

Default I'm Surprised!

I've been there many times and have never had any trouble with service, but apparently this is more than an isolated instance. The manager, Ken, is a pretty reasonable guy. Ask for him if there's a problem. They can't fix what they don't know.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Sent a link to this thread to them through the "contact us" link on their website. ......but I'm thinking that if they're letting their customer service slip they're probably not checking their messages either. We shall see. I really like Ellacoya and hope that the place isn't becoming just ho hum. I'm sure the Woodlands Tavern will appreciate their business if they can't pull it together.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I forwarded this thread to the owner. He is a good guy and I am sure he will make any and all necessary corrections.

I frequent the Barn and Grill and have not experienced these issues, always had good service and good food. Sorry to hear about others not so great experiences.

Dan
minni on winni (01-27-2014), Slickcraft (01-27-2014), Whimsey (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Also surprised.

We stop in quite often and have never has an issue with the service or the food. Others are right about letting them know about problems and giving them a chance to make corrections.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
gravy boat

Default Ellacoya

We were very surprised and disappointed as we have been there many times. We have noticed that the service at the bar was slower the last few times.

Yesterday we walked in the front door...an older woman saw us and said nothing. We walked to be bar and sat down. I went to the loo. Someone came to the bar and filled the ice reservoir and then walked away while my husband was sitting at the bar alone. I returned. Another employee was sitting at a side table and while we were still waiting she and the older lady were chatting....

All it would have taken is one of the three acknowledging us, or telling us that someone would be with us shortly. Three employees saw us yet it was apparently nobody's job to speak to us.

We ended up happily spending our money at Woodlands, not Ellacoya, and had great service and wonderful food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
Duke's (01-27-2014), Eric Weiss (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We stop in quite often and have never has an issue with the service or the food. Others are right about letting them know about problems and giving them a chance to make corrections.
There seems to be many complaints. Why is it up to the customer to let the management know. It is their responsibility to take care of the customers. There seems to be an overwhelming bad attitude towards customer service at this place. Blame starts at the top.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (01-27-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
sent a link to this thread to them through the "contact us" link on their website. ......but i'm thinking that if they're letting their customer service slip they're probably not checking their messages either. We shall see. I really like ellacoya and hope that the place isn't becoming just ho hum. I'm sure the woodlands tavern will appreciate their business if they can't pull it together.
response.....

Quote:
mike
i would like to thank you for forwarding this information. There's no
excuse for bad service. I guarantee you theses issues will be addressed
immediately. Our guests deserve more and guests like you have been the
reason for success over the years. I appreciate you taking the time to care.
Thank again. Ken choice

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (01-28-2014), Overlake97 (02-02-2014), RLW (01-28-2014), Slickcraft (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
Webbsatwinni

Default Opposing Comments

We have been to Ellacoya multiple times and each time we have had great service, food and drinks. When we went the 1st time there was nobody there and the service was great and the 2nd time there were quite a few people and again, the service was without issue.

I know all people view service differently, but we had drinks quickly, they were never empty and the food was correct, hot and came out fast. I will go back!
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
Shore Driver

I was there for the first time recently, and the food and service were both very good. Please had a nice chill atmosphere. Would go back for sure.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #16
LakeSnake

Default Still a go to place

I along with my better half have been going to Ellacoya quite often for about 7 years now. We have always enjoyed the service, food and atmosphere. We usually sit at the bar if it’s just the two of us but will take a table if there is no room or if we have a larger group.
I think over that time period we have only had issue with the food on two visits. In both cases we were not charged for the meal that was not up to par. Correction of a mistake is one trademark of a well-run business, hence we have no reservation of returning.
On our most recent visit we did note that there are a number of new wait staff. Although our visit was enjoyable we did note that some of the new staff seemed a little "green" in comparison to some of the more tenured staff but I expect that to improve over time. I think the "Team Meeting" that is held each night prior to the 5:00 rush is a great idea and must help keep everyone on the same page. Perhaps the management could take some of the posts from this site and review them with staff (if that is an appropriate setting) so they know firsthand what customers are thinking.

My other half's family was in the restaurant business for over 20 years so we tend to be overly critical and notice everything wrong as well as everything right.

As a side note I think they did a great job integrating the new addition into the look and feel of the place.

Looking forward to the next time we get to stop by.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Thumbs up Love Ellacoya

My family and I have been going there for years and have never had a bad experience. Sometimes on a friday or saturday when the place is packed the service can be a bit slow but that is to be expected on the weekends in good establishments.

As always we give them a BIG thumbs up!!!

Last edited by joey2665; 01-29-2014 at 11:32 AM.
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
salty dog

MY wife and I always go to the Ellacoya at least twice each time we're up for vacation weeks. Love the burger and pizza nights. We've noticed on occasion when it is very busy, service can slow a bit but that's normal. The staff always seem pleasant and attentive on our visits.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #19
livenh

Default Like Ellacoya

I have been to Ellacoya on multi occasions and have never had any issues with them. They seem to be consistently busy when I have been there but even with a crowd there isn't a long wait. Food is good, the service has been fine. I even threatened to stop there every evening to read my book by the fireplace where it is warmer than my house and was told to come on down, bring the fleece blanket, and tuck in!

My favorite here is the Bleu Burger (and I totally do NOT like bleu cheese) - go figure.
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default BleuBurger

Ever tried the bleuburger at the Hungry Buffalo in Loudon? It is made with bison and absolutely the best!

Also on Burger and Beer night at the Nazbar, their bleuburger is top!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #21
island support

Default Ellacoya Barn & Grille

To Our Guests,

Firstly, we like to refer to you as our guests instead of our customers. It has always been our goal to welcome all guests and make them feel at home.

We read your postings and we hear your concerns. Our apology goes out to each of you who had bad experiences in our restaurant. We could say its growing pains, or we’re only human and make excuses of why, but there is no excuse for bad service. We are the hospitality industry, and it’s our job to take care of our guests. It’s apparent that we have been inconsistent in this area.

We have had some incredibly successful years because of you. We will refocus on you, “Our Guest” in making your complete dining experience a pleasant one. Please continue with all your feedback, all of your opinions matter.

Thank you for your support over the year’s and thank your for your voice.

Sincerely Yours,

The Ellacoya Barn and Grille Family
island support is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to island support For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-30-2014), Cindido (01-30-2014), Formula206 (01-31-2014), GTO (01-30-2014), ishoot308 (01-30-2014), joey2665 (01-30-2014), lakershaker (02-21-2014), LakeSnake (01-30-2014), mcdude (01-30-2014), minni on winni (01-30-2014), Overlake97 (02-02-2014), RLW (01-30-2014), ronc4424 (01-30-2014), salty dog (01-30-2014), Slickcraft (01-30-2014), VitaBene (01-30-2014), Whimsey (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by island support View Post
To Our Guests,

Firstly, we like to refer to you as our guests instead of our customers. It has always been our goal to welcome all guests and make them feel at home.

We read your postings and we hear your concerns. Our apology goes out to each of you who had bad experiences in our restaurant. We could say its growing pains, or we’re only human and make excuses of why, but there is no excuse for bad service. We are the hospitality industry, and it’s our job to take care of our guests. It’s apparent that we have been inconsistent in this area.

We have had some incredibly successful years because of you. We will refocus on you, “Our Guest” in making your complete dining experience a pleasant one. Please continue with all your feedback, all of your opinions matter.

Sincerely Yours,

Great post!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
To Our Guests,

Sincerely Yours,

Thanks Steve!

I have been to Ellacoya a fair number of times and have always had good service and good food. Love that buffalo chicken pizza.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

This is exactly how you respond to negative feedback from customers. Well done!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #25
Alton Lady

Quote:
To Our Guests,

Sincerely Yours,

Excellent response.
Alton Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alton Lady For This Useful Post:
RLW (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
GTO

Default Sad

Quote:
To Our Guests,

Sincerely Yours,

You would think that Eric Weiss or gravy boat would of put a thank you under that response but they only appreciate the negative posts
gtagrip (01-31-2014), KPW (02-01-2014), Lyver (05-03-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #27
gravy boat

Wink GTO...you know the saying about assuming ....

Tough to "thank" a responder when I don't spend many waking hours on the forum or online ...I just logged back on to this forum after several days.

I do appreciate that the owner reads and acknowledges what customers say. No business is immune to slip ups. But that will not change our prior negative experiences. Will we give them a shot again? Probably.

And GTO I am sure you failed to read my prior posts over the years as many were positive. Believe it or not. And I even "thanked" people. I am not some retired curmudgeon who surfs the forum looking to pick apart places of business.

I have at least 15 years before that day comes.

Susan
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #28
Newbiesaukee

.....not that there is anything wrong with being a retired curmudgeon.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (02-03-2014), NoBozo (02-02-2014), SteveA (02-22-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #29
GTO

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
Tough to "thank" a responder when I don't spend many waking hours on the forum or online ...I just logged back on to this forum after several days.

I do appreciate that the owner reads and acknowledges what customers say. No business is immune to slip ups. But that will not change our prior negative experiences. Will we give them a shot again? Probably.

And GTO I am sure you failed to read my prior posts over the years as many were positive. Believe it or not. And I even "thanked" people. I am not some retired curmudgeon who surfs the forum looking to pick apart places of business.

I have at least 15 years before that day comes.

Susan
Maybe Island Support also took a few days off from the forum and wasn't able to respond as quick as he might have wanted too. He probably would have responded quicker if you had asked to speak with him face to face....but then Mr Weiss wouldn't have anyone to thank. Tell you what, I'll go away for a few days and maybe when I come back, you will have thanked Island Support for his response, albeit, a late one
Old 02-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #30
gravy boat

Default Gto

While I certainly appreciate your energetic responses on this subject, my praise and thanks will be given when I feel appropriate....and never as a result of an internet poster trying to make me feel guilty about expressing my opinion.

GB (Susan)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
Bigstan (02-03-2014), Mr. V (02-03-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #31
Webbsatwinni

Does anyone know if there is a way to get to the Ellacoya tavern by snowmobile?
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #32
lakershaker

Thumbs up Great lunch at Ellacoya

We have gone to Ellacoya about 6 times a year or so, generally always in the summer. This past Monday we went in for lunch with 3 adults and 2 little kids, and had a great experience. It was busy downstairs, and don't think the upstairs was open. We were able to get a seat right away near the bar, and had very attentive and happy service. I went in thinking I would get the pulled pork BBQ, but the waitress (sorry - can't remember her name) told us it was burger day, and all adults went with that and I also had the soup. The kids had kid pasta, and my 4 year old niece wanted the Ceaser salad.

Everything was cooked just as requested, and served quickly. Even though they were busy, service was perfect. I have always had similar results when eating there, and would really have to think that the recent negative review here was the exception as I have never had that experience. Ellacoya's was a welcome rest after snowshoeing back and forth from Rattlesnake 2 round trips in 12 hours! Looking forward to going back again.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #33
upthesaukee

Default Since the remodel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
We have gone to Ellacoya about 6 times a year or so, generally always in the summer. This past Monday we went in for lunch with 3 adults and 2 little kids, and had a great experience. It was busy downstairs, and don't think the upstairs was open. We were able to get a seat right away near the bar, and had very attentive and happy service. I went in thinking I would get the pulled pork BBQ, but the waitress (sorry - can't remember her name) told us it was burger day, and all adults went with that and I also had the soup. The kids had kid pasta, and my 4 year old niece wanted the Ceaser salad.

Everything was cooked just as requested, and served quickly. Even though they were busy, service was perfect. I have always had similar results when eating there, and would really have to think that the recent negative review here was the exception as I have never had that experience. Ellacoya's was a welcome rest after snowshoeing back and forth from Rattlesnake 2 round trips in 12 hours! Looking forward to going back again.
...the upstairs is supposed to be a function area. At least that's what we were told by Ellacoya staff last summer.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #34
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
...the upstairs is supposed to be a function area. At least that's what we were told by Ellacoya staff last summer.

Thanks for that... )))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #35
ghfromaltonbay

Default Upstairs open for dinner

When we went last August for the Monday hamburger special the upstairs dining room was open. There is a small balcony area and then the "function room". Both were open as the place was packed. There was a small bar area in the southwest corner of the room which I guess they use when the room is used for a private function. Maybe there is no need to open that room up during the winter unless they have a full house.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #36
upthesaukee

Default Perhaps...better than turning away customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
When we went last August for the Monday hamburger special the upstairs dining room was open. There is a small balcony area and then the "function room". Both were open as the place was packed. There was a small bar area in the southwest corner of the room which I guess they use when the room is used for a private function. Maybe there is no need to open that room up during the winter unless they have a full house.
When they opened the new room and changed the entry way, one of the waitstaff said that the upstairs was to be the function area, to cut down on the number of trips up and down the stairs with trays.

I always liked sitting up stairs overlooking the downstairs, but I can see how that can be a pain, even if they had a food elevator.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #37
Cindido

Default Ellacoya

Went to Ellacoya for the first time tonight. Had the Monday night $5 burger special. Upstairs area was full as was downstairs. Excellent, friendly service. Very much enjoyed the burger, served with lettuce, tomato, pickles and fries. Also ordered a lovely side salad. Couldn't have been better!!
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #38
znh

Ellacoya has been so Hit or Miss with us. Since we are at LSP we go often or get take out often. It's either all or nothing with them it seems. The last time we got take-out a couple of months ago the young girl behind the counter gave us only half our order. Went back to pick up the other half and not even a quick 'sorry' or anything. Then the next time we went and ate there and the service and food were awesome. I just wish the consistency of the service and the food were better. We went for Mother's Day Brunch and most of the food was cold and not great...but then some of it was awesome ! Kind of frustrating since we want to like it all the time but sometimes they disappoint us...it's to the point now where half the folks in our group that usually eat together don't want to go there anymore. Hopefully they can continue to improve on the consistency of their service and food...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote