Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #101
Belmont Resident

Default Just in the local paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
The Weirs is far more "upscale" today than it was in the 60s when we had the "bike week riots." Back then, the Weirs looked like an atomic bomb had gone off in the 40s or 50s and no one had ever returned. (I still have nightmares!) I agree that the burned building is a safety hazard. But I really don't think the city has the money to tear it down either.

As far as Bike Week is concerned -- IT'S ONLY ONE WEEK OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!! And the quality of visitors has greatly improved with each decade.

IMO, the problem with Laconia is that it can't seem to escape the effects of it's past as a poor mill town and as a "dumping site" for the state's mentally ill... and then there's the prison... toxic waste sites... lack of descent jobs... etc.
There was just an article about the concerns of this area.
The lakes region in general is becoming one big retirement community.
Jobs and big business are leaving the area and being replaced by retired people who are moving up here into their 2nd homes as full time residents.
Not sure of all the logistics of this but in a nut shell it isn’t a good thing and is progressively getting worse and unless something is done to change it will continue to do so.

As for bike week it dies a little more every year. Starting this year there will be no more closing of the bridge to any traffic.
Last year being the first year my wife started riding a motorcycle we visited the Weirs several times. Each time we heard complaints from venders who are hoping for a more scaled down version of bike week, being less drawn out because they are loosing money.
One of the things we noticed was the people we saw had very few items they bought.
Most seemed content on just walking around and stopping at the many watering holes.
I know for us living here, unless we see a gotta have item, we wait till the last day when everything is marked down 30 to 50% or more.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #102
birchhaven

Default off topic

Sorry for getting off topic.
I have fun at bike week, but the idea that it is only one week so it does not effect the area year round, is an idea not followed through.
Too many properties base there income on that one week and the rest of the year are vacant or worse. In a small city economy it is far better to have a more consistent, sustainable year round operation occupy a parcel than it is to have a one week blast of income. There is no need for many property owners to "try". In my view and many others, if bike week never existed the entire city would be in a different place right now. So if bike week ended, slowly all those business owners would need to be productive with there properties, creating jobs, nicer facilities, better neighborhoods, etc.
This all comes back to the wide open saloon. I would be willing to bet that the owner may eventually tear down the building and leave it as a gravel lot so it can be turned in to a tent city during bike week and they will make enough money to satisfy them. With no bike week, they would need to actually do something with the property, create some business, that is sustainable, or sell it to someone who would do something, and I am willing to bet the property would be worth more in the "no bike week" situation. JMHO

Last edited by birchhaven; 04-11-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #103
jrc

birchhaven's theory is really interesting and a different way of looking at bike week. It's too successful and lets people make enough money that week and write off the rest of the year.

If he is right, then as bike week winds back down to bike weekend (my guess) this may be corrected. Time will tell.

His theory kind of lines up with one of my theories about the condo-fication of the lakefront. My theory is that when hotels and camps changed to condos, the client list changed from week long vacationers to owners visiting on the weekends. So the place is dead during the week. Business now have to adapt to that model.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-11-2012), GsChinadoll (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #104
Woodsy

To start, with all due respect to the Baldi family and their right to due process… be a good neighbor and tear down that ugly eyesore! To the Laconia City manager and mayor… WTH! If that building was located in downtown Laconia we would not have this issue! The building would have been razed a year ago!

The intrinsic dynamic of the Weirs has changed radically in the last 10-12 years. There used to be a lot of small mom & pop motels that people spent their vacation week in. This provided a large turnover of people on weekly basis for the Weirs attractions and kept them busy. In the last real estate boom those mom & pop motels all but disappeared… turned into condos. This process virtually eliminated 60% - 70% of the revenue stream to the Weirs attractions. Condominium owners are more likely to patronize the attractions 2-3 times a season vs. a new bunch of people staying at the local motels every week. It has always been difficult for any business to make a year’s salary in the short 3-4 month summer season here in the Weirs. Couple that with a down economy and you can really understand the struggle business owners have. Unfortunately I don’t think this can be corrected. The damage is done. The City of Laconia and local business owners need to adapt to this unfortunate outcome and think of NEW ways to attract visitors to the Weirs.

Of the 3 biggest towns on the lake, Wolfeboro has always been quiet and rather upscale, Meredith was transformed to upscale, and unfortunately the Weirs has remained somewhat stagnant. This needs to be reversed. What the Weirs needs is better planning and leadership… The Weirs needs a makeover that sticks to its honky-tonk roots! The Weirs has always been the honky-tonk spot on the lake! This should be embraced not discouraged!

Bike Week should be EMBRACED! Years of heavy handed police presence coupled with economic discouragement by Laconia City Hall have diminished the attendance of Bike Week. Other communities throughout the state such as Meredith, Rochester & North Conway have jumped on the Bike Week bandwagon looking to cash in on what the City of Laconia doesn’t seem to want. This all has an effect on attendance.

I think in order to make the Weirs a destination again there needs to be some radical shift in thinking. I would recommend the Weirs become a designated resort area… loosen the rules a little! Look at Key West for inspiration!! Awesome restaurants… Cool bars with great entertainment, funky shops. Clean the area up. Tear down that stupid eyesore. Let people enjoy themselves a little. Maintain a police presence but discreetly (think undercover cops). No need for 3 cruisers and 2 bicycle cops hanging out waiting for something, anything to happen! Let people drink along the boardwalk and enjoy the lake (plastic containers). Allow outside music in the summer up until 12:00. Encourage people to visit. Adjust the rules so that people WANT to VISIT! Adjust the rules so that people WANT to open NEW businesses!

Make the Weirs friendly and people will visit…

Woodsy
AC2717 (04-11-2012), crowsnest (04-11-2012), Dblblkdiam (05-23-2012), diz (04-11-2012), GsChinadoll (04-11-2012), Lakegeezer (04-16-2012), nhyitbos (05-14-2012), NoRegrets (04-12-2012), rander7823 (04-16-2012), Resident 2B (04-11-2012), SPT13 (04-14-2012), Sunset View (04-25-2012), VitaBene (04-16-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #105
Wetbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
To start, with all due respect to the Baldi family and their right to due process… be a good neighbor and tear down that ugly eyesore! To the Laconia City manager and mayor… WTH! If that building was located in downtown Laconia we would not have this issue! The building would have been razed a year ago!

The intrinsic dynamic of the Weirs has changed radically in the last 10-12 years. There used to be a lot of small mom & pop motels that people spent their vacation week in. This provided a large turnover of people on weekly basis for the Weirs attractions and kept them busy. In the last real estate boom those mom & pop motels all but disappeared… turned into condos. This process virtually eliminated 60% - 70% of the revenue stream to the Weirs attractions. Condominium owners are more likely to patronize the attractions 2-3 times a season vs. a new bunch of people staying at the local motels every week. It has always been difficult for any business to make a year’s salary in the short 3-4 month summer season here in the Weirs. Couple that with a down economy and you can really understand the struggle business owners have. Unfortunately I don’t think this can be corrected. The damage is done. The City of Laconia and local business owners need to adapt to this unfortunate outcome and think of NEW ways to attract visitors to the Weirs.

Of the 3 biggest towns on the lake, Wolfeboro has always been quiet and rather upscale, Meredith was transformed to upscale, and unfortunately the Weirs has remained somewhat stagnant. This needs to be reversed. What the Weirs needs is better planning and leadership… The Weirs needs a makeover that sticks to its honky-tonk roots! The Weirs has always been the honky-tonk spot on the lake! This should be embraced not discouraged!

Bike Week should be EMBRACED! Years of heavy handed police presence coupled with economic discouragement by Laconia City Hall have diminished the attendance of Bike Week. Other communities throughout the state such as Meredith, Rochester & North Conway have jumped on the Bike Week bandwagon looking to cash in on what the City of Laconia doesn’t seem to want. This all has an effect on attendance.

I think in order to make the Weirs a destination again there needs to be some radical shift in thinking. I would recommend the Weirs become a designated resort area… loosen the rules a little! Look at Key West for inspiration!! Awesome restaurants… Cool bars with great entertainment, funky shops. Clean the area up. Tear down that stupid eyesore. Let people enjoy themselves a little. Maintain a police presence but discreetly (think undercover cops). No need for 3 cruisers and 2 bicycle cops hanging out waiting for something, anything to happen! Let people drink along the boardwalk and enjoy the lake (plastic containers). Allow outside music in the summer up until 12:00. Encourage people to visit. Adjust the rules so that people WANT to VISIT! Adjust the rules so that people WANT to open NEW businesses!

Woodsy
I couldnt have put it better myself Woodsy. I've lived in eye sight of the weirs my whole life, if they could do what you said it would turn around the weirs and make it boom again. A couple cool groovy new bars would be cool, You want to attract the college kids, these are the ones that are going to be growing up and wanting to buy places on the lake
Wetbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #106
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetbiker View Post
I couldnt have put it better myself Woodsy. I've lived in eye sight of the weirs my whole life, if they could do what you said it would turn around the weirs and make it boom again. A couple cool groovy new bars would be cool, You want to attract the college kids, these are the ones that are going to be growing up and wanting to buy places on the lake
Bring back Teen Haven and Winnipesaukee Gardens! These were destination sights that brought hundreds from all over every Friday and Saturday nights. The "Gardens" changed with the ever changing demographics. My parents listened and danced to Duke Ellington. I did the same to Vanilla Fudge and The Turtles. The places were always jammed. I was a teenager and don't think there was alcohol at Teen Haven. I don't know about The Gardens. I think if you were over 21, you'd BYOB!

My parents had friends on Bear Is. that had a steel-hulled tugboat named 'Lil Toot. They'd pick-up my parents and other friends and have a bond fire burning on the steel bow (it was a BIG boat). After a night at The Gardens you could hear the "revelry" from a great distance as 'Lil Toot made the rounds returning everyone home. This wouldn't happen today! The Lake had a lot less people then, but The Weirs had a lot more!
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
laketrout (04-23-2012), nhyitbos (05-14-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #107
Resident 2B

Quote:

Woodsy
You get my vote for "Best Post of the Year"!

Well done! Let's get behind any effort to get the Weirs 'right' again.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #108
Bear247

I like your thinking man...
Bear247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #109
birchhaven

I agree with the condos changing the biz model, and I agree a new line of thinking is required and it needs to be radical, but it is easy to say and another thing to get an investor to do, with the current dynamic.
Another example is where the rotary is being built, (I am going to pick on this property for a second but it applies to all) there is the vacant parking lot that has been sitting there forever, the owner has no urgency to invest or sell the property since he makes money from bike week. No bike week... he would have sold to someone who is willing to invest in the property in some fashion that makes money year round or at least all summer, this creates local jobs, increases the population, and in-turn further drives jobs creation. All while creating a valuable tax base for laconia rather than a vacant lot, this added tax base they could use to fix the current laconia school problem, again helping draw in full time residence, etc, etc. I disagree with anything that promotes land owners to not invest in their property (leave it a parking lot) so they can make money.
So it is great to say all these things about changing the rules etc, but if the current land owners have no reason to change they won't.

Sorry if make no sense I am much more articulate in person.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #110
Belmont Resident

Default All seasonal jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
I agree with the condos changing the biz model, and I agree a new line of thinking is required and it needs to be radical, but it is easy to say and another thing to get an investor to do, with the current dynamic.
Another example is where the rotary is being built, (I am going to pick on this property for a second but it applies to all) there is the vacant parking lot that has been sitting there forever, the owner has no urgency to invest or sell the property since he makes money from bike week. No bike week... he would have sold to someone who is willing to invest in the property in some fashion that makes money year round or at least all summer, this creates local jobs, increases the population, and in-turn further drives jobs creation. All while creating a valuable tax base for laconia rather than a vacant lot, this added tax base they could use to fix the current laconia school problem, again helping draw in full time residence, etc, etc. I disagree with anything that promotes land owners to not invest in their property (leave it a parking lot) so they can make money.
So it is great to say all these things about changing the rules etc, but if the current land owners have no reason to change they won't.

Sorry if make no sense I am much more articulate in person.
Unfortunately until NH figures out how to attract businesses nothing will change.
You can tear down the ugly rebuild the ugly and attract all the tourism you want.
But all tourism creates is seasonal jobs, not the type of atmosphere to attract or support families.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #111
Woodsy

Birchhaven...

That property you mentioned was originally a restaurant that went out of business (Karl's) and later burned. The property owner did the right thing and tore down the building. The owner of the property has since used it for Bike Week parking. I seriously doubt that 9 days of Bike Week parking covered the taxes on the property.

Meanwhile, they found a buyer for the property (rumoured to be Irving Oil) who was going to transform the property into some sort of gas station/drive thru, contingent on approval from the city. The city was onboard but wanted the property developer to pay the COST of the now being built rotary. That KILLED the project dead.

Just another example of how the City of Laconia thinks....

I suspect with the rotary being built and paid for by the city & state this vacant property will be more "buildable" now. No doubt we will see something there fairly soon.

Belmont Resident...

I agree that NH as a whole needs to create jobs and attract families. The Weirs IS a tourist/resort area, no different than Gunstock or Cannon or Sunapee. I think its in the best interest of the area and the state to attract tourists in any manner possible. Unfortunately, the Weirs is primarily a summer destination. There are some fall/winter activities but it is VERY weather dependent. This year there was no snow so there was no snowmobile business at all and the ski tourist business was off as well.

Woodsy
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #112
no-engine

Thanks for the Karl's site story, which I had forgotten.
Let me add about the Lobster Pound site, especially up hill portion.
It goes unused and ugly all year, till a week before bike week when tent set up starts. When all set ups are done, I am so discouraged, since it's impossible to see that a restaurant exists!!! The Lobster Pound sign is totally obstructed! I tried to communicate that observation to the business via their website, to no avail two years ago.

The entire area looks like it could pass for a municipal transfer station (formerly referred to as the dump): this trash goes here and that used item goes over there, all waiting for recycling by third party businesses. The site is deplorable from the street! It's not inviting at all.

In Meredith, the Hart's and Harley dealer property still maintain their identity.

I think it will be difficult to design a business on the roundabout edge; I can't imagine planners approving new accesses directly to the roundabout, BUT I like the thinking in some recent posts. We can wait and see, if some group will reveal creativity in design, of which I am not.

I hope the open site downhill from Cumberland's will not become another tent/vendor city, or a mobile home/RV park, or a storage unit rental site. Maybe we'll see something attractive and useful year round.

One personal 2˘.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #113
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Birchhaven...

Meanwhile, they found a buyer for the property (rumoured to be Irving Oil) who was going to transform the property into some sort of gas station/drive thru, contingent on approval from the city. The city was onboard but wanted the property developer to pay the COST of the now being built rotary. That KILLED the project dead.

Woodsy
I disagree with your information. I went to the meetings about the development of that property, spoke with the lawyers, and attended several hearings at Laconia City Hall. The city was never "onboard" with the plans for that lot.

The demise of that plan was because the developers wanted to combine a gas station, convenience store, and Dunkin Donuts with a drive through, on a very small lot. The concerns about more underground gas tanks close to Laconia's water supply, overdevelopment of that lot, impact on neighboring properties, and the impact on traffic caused the city to reject the plan.

At all of the meetings I attended there was no mention of the property owner paying for any expenses related to the traffic circle. This happened 3 or 4 years ago and I do not recall the subject of the traffic circle ever being mentioned.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #114
Woodsy

TiltonBB

The city would have allowed the construction of the gas station. They would have demanded the same triple redundancy as Cumby's up the hill. I believe the drive thru and the roundabout construction was the sticking point for developer.

Woodsy
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #115
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Bring back Teen Haven and Winnipesaukee Gardens! These were destination sights that brought hundreds from all over every Friday and Saturday nights. The "Gardens" changed with the ever changing demographics. My parents listened and danced to Duke Ellington. I did the same to Vanilla Fudge and The Turtles. The places were always jammed. I was a teenager and don't think there was alcohol at Teen Haven. I don't know about The Gardens. I think if you were over 21, you'd BYOB!

My parents had friends on Bear Is. that had a steel-hulled tugboat named 'Lil Toot. They'd pick-up my parents and other friends and have a bond fire burning on the steel bow (it was a BIG boat). After a night at The Gardens you could hear the "revelry" from a great distance as 'Lil Toot made the rounds returning everyone home. This wouldn't happen today! The Lake had a lot less people then, but The Weirs had a lot more!
What memories ! I had such a good time at Teen Haven and the Winnipesaukee Gardens. There were so many great bands. It was such fun and the Weirs was booming back then.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #116
ChocolateGypsy

Bike week was never a "family" event. And like I said, it's only one week that people who find it annoying have to put up with it. (Not like the traffic in Meredith *all* summer long!) I had always thought of it as sort of "Spring Break for Antichrists." Until I went a few times recently and found myself thinking: "Man, this is lame... the only thing to do is walk around and shop. Where's the party?? I'm not gettin' any younger y'know?"

Unfortunately, like what's happened to Spring Break in Fort Lauderdale, I believe trying to tame the event has driven the crowds elsewhere. It used to be a week where wild, crazy, sh*t happened -- folks went home and told their friends about it: "We were THERE! We SURVIVED!" And everyone wants to go next year!!!

Come to think of it, if the bike gangs want to beat the cr*p out of each other it would be good publicity (we got a lot of mileage off the 60s riots! ) Maybe they could tear down that building for us...? We could set up a beer tent... blast ZZ Top from the Drive-In... and the building would be gone by morning!!

(you know I'm joking, right?)

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #117
onthebay

Unhappy Where is Everybody

Unfortunately I don't see a change in the Weir's until some outside money comes in and changes things on a grand scale similar to the transformation of Merideth. Looking at what those old mills have been turned into (and not overnight) is pretty fascinating.
We opened up our store on the Pier in 2008 with great promise and high hopes trying to create a fun retail experience that seemed to be missing. The first year we did great numbers even though everyone else was crying they were down 30% from the previous year and had their worst year in 30 years. Figured if business was that good when everyone else was down then things could only get better the next year. Well the next year everyone said they were down 30% and this time we were too. Had to figure the next would be better but the same story. Finally called it quits after this season. I believe Kevins on the Pier did the same.
Each and every year less and less people came. Not just to our store but to the Weirs. We had bad weather, high gas prices, the storm that knocked out the train tracks and the dockage, Ecoli that shut down the beaches, everyone had a theory. This was at the same time that everyone down the Cape was talking about how great things were. Staycations and short trips were in. It looked like they were going everywhere but the Weir's.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #118
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post

The lakes region in general is becoming one big retirement community.
Jobs and big business are leaving the area and being replaced by retired people who are moving up here into their 2nd homes as full time residents.
Not sure of all the logistics of this but in a nut shell it isn’t a good thing and is progressively getting worse and unless something is done to change it will continue to do so.

Correct. In total this is not a good thing for the area. Yes, some jobs do cater to seniors. But with little growth in industry and factories there will be a gradual decline of area.

I think that the Weirs was much better in the 1940's, 1950,s and 1960,s.

And some think that putting a few more Yuppie bars at the Weirs will help? The Weirs is a beach and a playground for kids.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #119
garysanfran

Default The Weirs is a beach and playground for kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Correct. In total this is not a good thing for the area. Yes, some jobs do cater to seniors. But with little growth in industry and factories there will be a gradual decline of area.

I think that the Weirs was much better in the 1940's, 1950,s and 1960,s.

And some think that putting a few more Yuppie bars at the Weirs will help? The Weirs is a beach and a playground for kids.
If The Weirs is going to be successful, there needs to be an economic draw. I'm not sure how you make a profit on a strip of sand and catering to kids who have no money?

It was better in the 40's, 50's and 60's because adults went there and spent money. They hadn't coined the word "yuppies" yet. Winnipesaukee Gardens was a playground for adults with money to spend. Today, it caters to "kids" as a penny arcade as do the other arcades. Lots of things for kids to spend their coins on. We need a draw for adults with dollars.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #120
AC2717

I think it would be a nice place to hit for afternoon and evening activities, some sit down restaurants some vendors, nice stores, a place where people would want to come and walk around at night, much like lets say the boardwalk in Myrtle beach, or downtown Disney. Not that crazy, but like people say above, make it so people will want to come down and spend the money. I think still have a arcade or two to get the kids involved. but some nice restaurants
maybe a dueling piano bar and grille. and a couple more restuarants with a bunch of local shops for local craftsmen and what not, a couple of arcades, with the mount. with a nice little deal like that who would not want to go up there and stroll the boardwalk. Maybe even a redesign of the road to make some waterfront restaurants

What it is turning into or already has, is been a hangout for teenages to escape from their parents and hang out and cause mischeif. there is also hints of bad elements seeping into the area because it is getting so run down. THe Town should be on the property owners and shop keeps to upgrade or refinish and if that means that somethings close down and are forced to sell, new owners (new money) will come in and revitalize the area. The town should set up a revitalization project and model it from ideas taken from Wolfboro, Meredith, and others around the country

By the way this still does not mean that bike week can't happen, it could.
Sunset View (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #121
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs1342 View Post
Hey folks, Beware of what you wish for as far as the Weirs needing to change. Change to what? Upscale is where i see it going in the future which will drive out the working class. I like it honky tonk and bike week forever. Can anyone afford Meredith Bay? If more of these type developments continue I guarantee kiss bike week goodbye. Then the beloved drive-in becomes more condos and before long what attracted people to the Weirs becomes like any other onclave for the wealthy.
PJS, I ride a Harley, am a professional business person and I value your point; mine was merely focused on the embarrassment that is the burned out, falling apart and accident waiting to happen WOS. I hope it can be torn down soon and a replacement of similar venue put up in its place. Honky-tonk is one thing, a structural pit is another. I don't think anyone on the forum ever said or suggested anything "Upscale", I'm with you, the offerings in Meredith are ridiculous.........that all said and I think you'd agree, the Wide Open Saloon is an eyesore and if anyone believes this burned out dump is attracting any people to the Weirs, then I too respectfully give up. I'd suggest to everyone/anyone that wants this type of eyesore in their backyard to forget fireworks at Funspot, The Weirs, Meredith, Winnisquam, Center Harbor or Alton; bring all your fireworks this July 4th to the front of the WOS, celebrate your love of filth, burned out buildings, no tresspassing signs and the hazard that this structure has become and light away with gusto.........welcome to Talledega Nights Weirs style. Ricky Bobby!!!!!!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #122
jtb9212

Default Wide open Saloon

Long story short. Anything owned or managed by the Baldi family will certainly be less than par. Talk about a family that knows hows to work the system for every angle they can. I am sure that eyesore will be there for years to come for us all to look at. That group of losers can play the victim for all its worth better than anyone.
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
nicole (04-18-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #123
Wreckn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb9212 View Post
Long story short. Anything owned or managed by the Baldi family will certainly be less than par. Talk about a family that knows hows to work the system for every angle they can. I am sure that eyesore will be there for years to come for us all to look at. That group of losers can play the victim for all its worth better than anyone.
I highly doubt the city will let it sit there for "years" this I am sure of
Wreckn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #124
NoRegrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckn1 View Post
The fire was in September 2010. It will be 2 years in 5 months.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
nicole (04-23-2012), Resident 2B (04-23-2012), Sunset View (04-25-2012), VitaBene (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #125
Channel Pirate

Default "Miffed" neighbor boycott

As the manager of a local hotel, I will be advising my new and repeat customers to not spend a dime @ the Drive in or Waterslide this summer and as long as the building stands.

2 people per unit x 28 units x 14 weeks = 784 people a summer that I will not be sending there way.

Until they do whats right.
Channel Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Channel Pirate For This Useful Post:
Lmurphy (04-26-2012), nicole (04-23-2012), Sunset View (04-25-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #126
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Pirate View Post
As the manager of a local hotel, I will be advising my new and repeat customers to not spend a dime @ the Drive in or Waterslide this summer and as long as the building stands.

2 people per unit x 28 units x 14 weeks = 784 people a summer that I will not be sending there way.

Until they do whats right.
Totally in favor of your policy!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
Lmurphy (04-26-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #127
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckn1 View Post
Where I am in Laconia for the moment, there are now several abandoned/condemned buildings that are home to various local wildlife, roaming teens and their drug dealers. One has been there for "years," the others met the same fate more recently. The only thing the city has done is to post a "condemned" notice on them.

Count your blessings in that even the squatters don't want anything to do with the building at the Weirs.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #128
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
Where I am in Laconia for the moment, there are now several abandoned/condemned buildings that are home to various local wildlife, roaming teens and their drug dealers. One has been there for "years," the others met the same fate more recently. The only thing the city has done is to post a "condemned" notice on them.

Count your blessings in that even the squatters don't want anything to do with the building at the Weirs.
Oh boy, sounds like a dangerous area. I bet your glad they didn't let that methadone clinic to be allowed there.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #129
laketrout

Default The Weirs

Unforunately The city of Laconia has NO leadership when it comes to the Weirs. I love Weirs beach and the area but until the city has a master plan for the Weirs and the area it will languish and suffer. The Weirs needs a master plan sort of what happened with Meredith or Hampton beach, NH. Weirs needs to keep its honky Tonkin heritage!
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laketrout For This Useful Post:
nicole (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #130
fatlazyless

Anyone know what's happening to the six acre parcel that fronts Route 3 that is just downhill and south of the Cumberland gas station. All the trees have been cut, the lot has been graded somewhat......and there's numerous wood stakes with orange marks all set into the untreed lot all over, so something seems like it has been planned out..........rumor was a storage rental business where you rent out garage style space.......from some old thread ......but that may or may not be the case.......what-o-what might be planned in there?

Also.......how long before something happens with the vacant, empty lot that used to be home to the Karl's Fine Food restaurant?

Most all of the storefronts in the nearby commercial mini mall that is home to the Weirs Post Office are vacant and show "For Lease" signs as well.......even a Dunkin Donuts that was in there closed up. So......Weirs Beach.......and just maybe the new Weirs roundabout will get things rolling along to some better year round businesses at the Weirs ......hopefully .....the roundabout center will get a real decorative garden that get's some regular garden care as opposed to the nearby Meredith roundabout which has a circle of low water perennials that look like so many ugly, dry, weed style plants as opposed to what can be done in a garden that gets watered.......and maintained......

Say-hey......is there any local garden volunteers out there that has a green thumb or two and some water for the new Weirs roundabout center spot that will be replacing the historic "malfunction junction" of Route 3 and 11A?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #131
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Dunkin Donuts

The Weirs area is difficult for property and business owners because you have to make a years income and expenses in 3 months.

I think a lot of people who vacation or spend summers in the area do not realize how deserted Weirs Beach becomes in the winter.

Did Dunkin Donuts close for good or just for the winter?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #132
Wreckn1

let me rephrase this....once the city takes ownership of the building/property, which they will, that building will be demolished within 2 months (due to the bid process etc). Believe it or not the city REALLY wants that building gone, but right now their hands are tied
Wreckn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #133
no-engine

Doesn't city, each year, need to issue permit to the Drive-in?
Or some sort of papers that say fine to open up. Place is hazardous to negotiate a car to view the screen, and/or use the facilities for movie goers!

Access right next to the burned structure, ready to collapse!
nicole (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #134
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The Weirs area is difficult for property and business owners because you have to make a years income and expenses in 3 months.

I think a lot of people who vacation or spend summers in the area do not realize how deserted Weirs Beach becomes in the winter.

Did Dunkin Donuts close for good or just for the winter?
It closed for good.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #135
Channel Pirate

Default dont sheet ware u eet

The fact that the "B" family will fight to the bloody end no matter what the impact is to the surrounding community speaks volumes about there charactor.

The area has been very good to them over the years.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #136
Channel Pirate

Default on that note

I guess we will have to wait a few more years and see what the US Supreme Court has to say about the "literally" Wide Wide Open Saloon.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #137
Mr. V

Get rid of Skee Ball and replace it with beer pong.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #138
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Oh boy, sounds like a dangerous area. I bet your glad they didn't let that methadone clinic to be allowed there.
Are you being sarcastic? The clinic's at the hospital.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #139
Belmont Resident

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
yeah I am sure all the people that are lake front that have the train embankment through their property want people and the added foot traffic to their land. (trian aside of course) Then all those people stopping to take breaks on their land, the trash that might be left there and the noise during the night of kids and people walking talking and biking up and down their property, not to mention that snow mobilers (not that I am against snow mobiles) would probably use it like the tracks now

Just think of that whole beautiful semi private property that people paid from between the Weirs and Meredith having to put up with that stuff, yeah that is fair to them,
what a joke

oh yeah with the fence requirement now these people with right away access on the water, would now have to hop over a fence on each side of the trail, yeah talk about beautification, my foot!
kinda like living in Boston hu?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #140
AC2717

Belmont Resident
why are you pulling one of my posts from another thread, the one on the walkway form laconia center to meredith

That is a different subject. This is about the weirs boardwalk area, not residential land that the city wants to take to make a walkway/bike path.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #141
Belmont Resident

Default twas a joke

Quote:
Belmont Resident
why are you pulling one of my posts from another thread, the one on the walkway form laconia center to meredith

That is a different subject. This is about the weirs boardwalk area, not residential land that the city wants to take to make a walkway/bike path.
It was just a joke. But from what I understand when the Southdown concept plan was put forth way back when, there was suppose to be a bike/walk path through the area but it was never built.
Personally I do not care either way; if it is built I would use it to ride or roller blade on.
If it doesn’t get built it won’t bother me either. Personally I would never use someone else’s property to relax on, but I do see your point.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #142
AC2717

No worries then, sometimes tough for me to read expressions over the computer
Belmont Resident (04-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #143
Sunset View

Quote:
Birchhaven...

That property you mentioned was originally a restaurant that went out of business (Karl's) and later burned. The property owner did the right thing and tore down the building. The owner of the property has since used it for Bike Week parking. I seriously doubt that 9 days of Bike Week parking covered the taxes on the property.

I suspect with the rotary being built and paid for by the city & state this vacant property will be more "buildable" now. No doubt we will see something there fairly soon.

Belmont Resident...

I agree that NH as a whole needs to create jobs and attract families. The Weirs IS a tourist/resort area, no different than Gunstock or Cannon or Sunapee. I think its in the best interest of the area and the state to attract tourists in any manner possible. Unfortunately, the Weirs is primarily a summer destination. There are some fall/winter activities but it is VERY weather dependent. This year there was no snow so there was no snowmobile business at all and the ski tourist business was off as well.

Woodsy
Or as my wife always reminds me; beauty fades, dumb is forever!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #144
no-engine

Default Wide Open Saloon

The condition is absolutely ludicrous.

Saw today, the Meredith Dover Street 2.5 story building that had serious fire over the weekend, what looked like inspectors with Fire Department protective gear, seriously looking at the second floor back deck! Speculate looking for cause of fire.

Also, People NOT dressed like that removing personal items from first floor. Two large trash containers filling with bags of stuff.

What is wrong with owners at Weirs building? Fours days in Meredith and work is being done! Come on Baldi family, move on!!!!

WE JUST CAN NOT UNDERSTAND. We hope owners of adjacent properties get together and force city of Laconia to proceed with demolition and a property lien!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #145
Belmont Resident

Default Ya the trails a tough one

Quote:
No worries then, sometimes tough for me to read expressions over the computer
I've done quite a bit of work on Southdown and have met a lot of pro and con to the trail. Me I don't care either way weather it happens or not, if it is there I might use it. I'd prefer to MTN bike in the woods not the pavement.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #146
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
What is wrong with owners at Weirs building? Fours days in Meredith and work is being done! Come on Baldi family, move on!!!!
Two issues remain here...One is can it be rebuilt or not...If not, it has to be demolished. Issue #2 deals with the insurance...the carrier is denying coverage...If I was the property owner, I would want to exhaust all avenues before the demolition came out of my wallet. Until that is resolved, the building will stand, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, the world of litigation is indeed a painfully slow one. As a former underwriter and manager with a top 25 insurance company, I saw litigation take not just months, not just years, but literally decades to be resolved. Hopefully this will not fall into the latter time frame.

All of this does not change the fact that it is an eyesore, and yes, we all would like to see it either repaired or razed, but I for one still would like the owners to be afforded their just due in the legal system.
trfour (04-27-2012), Winnisquamguy (04-27-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #147
Winnisquamguy

Default From Their Facebook Page

Looks like things are finally starting to come together. It has been a long road with not much support from the community. My love goes out to all you supports who have been there for me and my family, and understand the depths of how complicated this has all been. I know I still have a while before I reach the top of giant hill, and for all you local nasty's......well I belive in karma. I have not lost my fight or my strength, so I will continue on and remain hopeful.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #148
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Looks like things are finally starting to come together. It has been a long road with not much support from the community. My love goes out to all you supports who have been there for me and my family, and understand the depths of how complicated this has all been. I know I still have a while before I reach the top of giant hill, and for all you local nasty's......well I belive in karma. I have not lost my fight or my strength, so I will continue on and remain hopeful.
Classy (not) or what? Tear this eyesore down. It is killing property values and property sales in the area.

R2B
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (05-03-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #149
SIKSUKR

Wow! Poor me, not much support from the local nastys. What? I'm not a local but I do agree with one of the statements. Karma. Hope it bites the right hand.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #150
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Classy (not) or what? Tear this eyesore down. It is killing property values and property sales in the area.

R2B
Hey don't shoot the messenger, I just copy and pasted what she wrote on her Facebook page!!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #151
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Hey don't shoot the messenger, I just copy and pasted what she wrote on her Facebook page!!
No ill intent to you at all. I am happy that you posted the FaceBook message. It shows what strange thinking goes in the minds of some people.

How someone can be responsible for the longevity of that eyesore and call other people "local natsy's" [sic] really is hard to understand.

I am within 1,500 feet of that place. I have been trying to sell on and off for two years and the feedback from my broker is potential buyers are concerned about the rundown look of that burnt out building near the bridge and its negative impact on the general area.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

R2B
Sunset View (05-03-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #152
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
No ill intent to you at all. I am happy that you posted the FaceBook message. It shows what strange thinking goes in the minds of some people.

How someone can be responsible for the longevity of that eyesore and call other people "local natsy's" [sic] really is hard to understand.

I am within 1,500 feet of that place. I have been trying to sell on and off for two years and the feedback from my broker is potential buyers are concerned about the rundown look of that burnt out building near the bridge and its negative impact on the general area.
If I were as close as 1500 feet, I get together with neighbors and abutters, and sit in on City Council meetings, AND then during every "citizen input" time on the agenda bring the subject up for discussion in minutes of the meeting. It is beyond my understanding that an insurance provider and the State Fire Inspectors and the Courts can drag their feet so long.

Have a look at the fire damage in Meredith on Dover Street: No more than four days after the fire they are in their performing the inspection & clean-up process.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #153
no-engine

Default Saturday 5th May

Laconia Daily Sun http://www.laconiadailysun.com/

Headline: petition being signed! Bravo, Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!!!!!

I'd gladly sign, but I vote in an abutting Town, not Laconia.
Seriously, if Lakes Region voters and/or interested parties can be included, I will seek out one of the petitions.

In any case, I wish a successful conclusion to the leaders of the petition.

Contractor for roundabout has equipment on this site; let them tear it down as they wind down for summer season's traffic, the time I read they plan to put their work on hold!

Cell phone picture from a friend in January....
Attached Images

Last edited by no-engine; 05-05-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Sunset View (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #154
Sunset View

Quote:
Laconia Daily Sun http://www.laconiadailysun.com/

Headline: petition being signed! Bravo, Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!!!!!

I'd gladly sign, but I vote in an abutting Town, not Laconia.
Seriously, if Lakes Region voters and/or interested parties can be included, I will seek out one of the petitions.

In any case, I wish a successful conclusion to the leaders of the petition.

Contractor for roundabout has equipment on this site; let them tear it down as they wind down for summer season's traffic, the time I read they plan to put their work on hold!

Cell phone picture from a friend in January....
Thank you John Ganong and Don Thurston!!!!! I remember Don Thurston often saying " I'm just trying to make a living" what a challenge that must be with that eyesore so close in proximity to the business Don's father built so long ago.............times have changed for sure!

After reading the Laconia Daily Sun article I can't help but feel the Baldi family could care less about the Weirs, its neighbors, the season, or the many thousands of tourists that call the Lakes Region one of the most beautiful places on earth. The poor image they have created while ignoring the well being of their fellow buisness people says enough for me. Time to not only sign the petition but also to send a loud message to the Baldis by never frequenting their other businesses.

Finally, the article that purports the council members are intimidated says enough for me. Vote them all out next election!!! Let's all get behind the tear down of this eyesore and return the entry to the Lakes Region to its beauty. Again, many thanks to John Ganong and Don Thurston for having the courage and the spine to not only speak out but to challenge the status-quo!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #155
jtb9212

Default Idiots

You should read this. It’s a transcript of the Baldi's bankruptcy. It just goes to show you their mentality. These people only care about themselves and will skirt the rules any way they can to satisfy their own selfish needs.

They don't care about the area or anyone else but themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Baldi.Lawrence.120610.pdf (254.1 KB, 1658 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (05-07-2012), mhtranger (05-06-2012), Mr. V (05-07-2012), Resident 2B (05-06-2012), Sunset View (05-06-2012), Winnigirl (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #156
no-engine

Default FYI Yesterday's condition 5/5/12.

Another view. For those who have not driven around back on the drive-in's entry road. Taken by cell phone by friend and emailed to me.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #157
mhtranger

Quote:
You should read this. It’s a transcript of the Baldi's bankruptcy. It just goes to show you their mentality. These people only care about themselves and will skirt the rules any way they can to satisfy their own selfish needs.

They don't care about the area or anyone else but themselves.
It is funny since I do not know the owners I did a Google search and came across the same thing. What a joke that read was.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #158
Hermit Cover

Default We Vote Number One!!

As we drive thru the Weirs and drive frequently around the lake...we have decided that this is the WORST eyesore in the region....BAR none!! What a shame this beautiful lake has to contend with this ugliness. We feel for the next door neighbors...we have no feelings for the owners...they have allowed this blight to continue for toooooo long! Bulldoze that place....
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #159
Belmont Resident

Default Ha Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
As we drive thru the Weirs and drive frequently around the lake...we have decided that this is the WORST eyesore in the region....BAR none!! What a shame this beautiful lake has to contend with this ugliness. We feel for the next door neighbors...we have no feelings for the owners...they have allowed this blight to continue for toooooo long! Bulldoze that place....
And then bulldoze the owners....
Old 05-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #160
jtb9212

Default Wide Open Saloon

I also find it odd that the city won't do anything to step in and tear it down themsleves. They are getting ready to write a check for $2.16 million for the Laconia Prison property. But, I guess I don't blame the city that much, I'm sure they know if the pay the expense to tear it down they will never get a dime out of the Baldi's. I think the city would have better odds at winning Power Ball than getting a dime out of the Baldi's.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #161
no-engine

Maybe City should do it and of course place Lien on property, AND a lien on the rental revenue which contractor pays!!!!

I wonder if any Baldi family member, or any member of Chamber of Commerce, or any official in City Government, or any member of government in any neighboring community? I hope they are reading all over this forum!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #162
NoBozo

Quote:
Maybe City should do it and of course place Lien on property, AND a lien on the rental revenue which contractor pays!!!!

I wonder if any Baldi family member, or any member of Chamber of Commerce, or any official in City Government, or any member of government in any neighboring community? I hope they are reading all over this forum!
I seriously doubt that they ARE....reading this forum....and doubt that they CARE.. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #163
Belmont Resident

Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I seriously doubt that they ARE....reading this forum....and doubt that they CARE.. NB
From the FB comments it makes you wonder. She did make a comment about the local nasties. The trouble is she is the one who is the local nasty with the eyesore.
As for all those comparing this to the Meredith fire well you really can’t.
These are two totally different situations. We know nothing about what goes or is going on behind the scenes at either location. Only so much is made public thru the news media and we all know just how accurate and believable the news media is now a day.
I have a sister in law who had pipes burst in her house last December. She still has had very little work completed because of problems dealing with the insurance company.
There is between 70 and 80K worth of damage.
In her case one of the byproducts of dealing with a small insurance company, she had to threaten a lawyer because they were dragging their feet so bad with the claim.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #164
RailroadJoe

Lawyers and insurance companies. The "bane of man"
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #165
riverat

Default Maybe a Marketing campaign would help.

Point taken.
fishdc (08-19-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #166
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I heard today someone has started a petition to get it cleaned up.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #167
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I heard today someone has started a petition to get it cleaned up.
Just posted 13 posts behind you.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #168
kchadw

There was an article in the Union Leader over the weekend ( Sat. I think ) about the petition....Not sure what it said...couldn't open it up for some reason...probably my computer..

I have lived in N. H., Ma. and Florida and have never seen such an eyesore last so long as this has....it's got to be one of the worst, not only in that area, but in the State of N. H.

Usually situations like this are taken care of within 30 to 90 days. You can bet it there was a school bus stop close and little kids running around, it would have been torn down years ago...
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kchadw For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (05-10-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #169
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Pirate View Post
The fact that the "B" family will fight to the bloody end no matter what the impact is to the surrounding community speaks volumes about there charactor.

The area has been very good to them over the years.
I took the time to read the bankruptcy petition.
If you want to get an idea of the character of the family it makes good reading.
How can they have unfiled or unpaid FED income taxes and then verify and certify that the information is accurate and then say it is not right or forgot or made a mistake.
Take the time to read about the process and bankruptcy proceedings and you will get an inside view of the family, lawyers and system.
Great system.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunbeam lodge For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #170
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
As did I.

Wow.

What a piece of ... work.

At one moment he tries to come off as a distracted, clueless, disinterested victim; the next he shows great understanding of his businesses and their complicated structure, together with an astounding display of selective memory.

An arrogant dissembler who seems to be playing 3 card monte with the bankruptcy trustee.

I thought that the examiner, Geraldine Karonis, representing the U.S. Trustee, performed an effective examination of Mr. Baldi.

I am still scratching my head over his comment that he decided to go to court and legally change his name to from "Steven" to "Lawrence" when he was in the fourth grade; I was reading comics and playing baseball in fourth grade, not having existential epiphanies and lawyering up.

The examination is supposed to be continued, to be resumed upon him providing info he "forgot" to provide; please provide a link to the upcoming examination on this thread when it becomes available: this is very interesting and informative and a great way to get a read on a person's true character.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #171
jtb9212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
If you want to get an idea of the character of the family it makes good reading.
How can they have unfiled or unpaid FED income taxes and then verify and certify that the information is accurate and then say it is not right or forgot or made a mistake.
Take the time to read about the process and bankruptcy proceedings and you will get an inside view of the family, lawyers and system.
Great system.
I worked for them during Bike Week a while back. What an eye opening experiance. The amount of cash that I saw change hands was incredible, stressing the word CASH.

Listening to some of the vendors who were renting asphalt from the Baldi's was pretty disturbing. One guy way paying $3000 per day for his spot. Look at the number of vendors they have around the Water Slide, Saloon, Drive In, and the alley way to the Drive In. Try to do a count of vendors and do the rough math on how much money gets pulled in by them, again, stressing the word cash.

Then read the bankruptcy document. These people are all about the cash, hiding around the rules, and working the system for all its worth. Again, what a crew of losers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
nhyitbos (05-14-2012), Winnigirl (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #172
Resident 2B

I have also read the bankruptcy deposition, a public document.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

He was unsure what his legal name is or what his father's legal name is as they could be the same, no idea what he signed or when he signed it, falsified gross incomes, unfiled federal taxes, incomplete listing of trade names and he signed the document certifying that, under the pain of perjury, his statements were accurate and complete.

Holy cow! Still walking the streets???

R2B
Sunset View (05-09-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #173
no-engine

FYI: he has passed, about a year ago.
Wife takes over the "assets".
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #174
jtb9212

Quote:
FYI: he has passed, about a year ago.
Wife takes over the "assets".
Baldi Sr. I beleive died, but Baldi Jr. still alive and screwing the system....
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #175
no-engine

As I recall, yes, in his early 70's, and father in law to Saloon's land owner, Brandi, according to media stories.
All in the family. I would assume the drive-in owner is the widow, mother in law to Brindi.
Maybe, I'll do a search for the obit.

I think I'll drive by Thurston's to go in and ask about the petition. I'll sign, if OK as a non-Laconia voter; I am taxpayer and registered in town abutting Laconia.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #176
AC2717

No-Engine
Please let us know, I own property in Laconia but as a non resident/voter I would love to sign it
or what they should do is start a online petetion
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #177
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Just posted 13 posts behind you.
Sorry, please forgive. I was too lazy to go back and read all the posts all over again.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #178
CGI3

Default Baldi Court Transcript

I just finished reading the transcript..I have one question...How the hell does he get away with it??!! Whats the name on your liscense, I dont know, I don't have it with me,I don't recall, I forgot to list that, Not sure if I owned that, my wife may own it, or run it, but Im not sure, you would have to ask her. When going through a divorce, I had to have every bank statement, tax return, credit card statement, utility bills, reciepts for anything I bought or sold with a value of over 500.00 for a ten year period! If if I did not I was threatened with contempt of court. He pushed "playing stupid" to a whole new level!
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #179
ronc4424

I have also read the bankruptcy deposition. Could I please have a show of hands from everybody who doesn't remember the date you got married. Lawrence Baldi the third couldn't either!.......
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #180
Heaven

It seems the only chance the city has of having the court give the city the right to remove the building is if the city can prove the building is an imminent hazard. IMHO it doesn't rise to that legal level, so the preparation for that court action would be a waste of taxpayer's money.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #181
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
It seems the only chance the city has of having the court give the city the right to remove the building is if the city can prove the building is an imminent hazard. IMHO it doesn't rise to that legal level, so the preparation for that court action would be a waste of taxpayer's money.
Seems to me, especially with all this rain. there must be a ton of mold growing in there. that cannot be too healthy.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #182
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default No Mold...

...way too much ventilation, unfortunately .
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #183
no-engine

TWO OPTIONS:

1. Let kids torch it again - middle of the night, or when drive-in is playing a movie!

2. Have an intentional fire/rescue training for Lakes Region Mutual Aid, to level it.

Can't figure why contractor would park their equipment so close to building. Scroll back to see photograph.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #184
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc4424 View Post
I have also read the bankruptcy deposition. Could I please have a show of hands from everybody who doesn't remember the date you got married. Lawrence Baldi the third couldn't either!.......
Strange, strange, strange! No wonder two divorces and three marriages. I've been divorced for 18 years, and married 20 years earlier, and I can tell you the date of the wedding! I do not really intend to remember because we are not together, but I do.
I did not realize that the water slide across street is Baldi also. I wonder if there is a relationship to person who has "yard sale" in upper portion of parking lot on an unpredictable basis.
I really skimmed the file, but caught a statement that Busby Construction is owed some funds. Now, what's that conclude when we see that Busby is the contractor for the roundabout and is using Baldi land for their site office and staging area?
Then, I did not follow along the relationship with the Scott Farah FRM firm which I think has been convicted of Ponzi scheme, investors loosing much money! What's with that name?
Sunset View (05-10-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #185
no-engine

Quote:
No-Engine
Please let us know, I own property in Laconia but as a non resident/voter I would love to sign it
or what they should do is start a online petetion
I had timing issues and never did find out if petition signors was required to be a Laconia voter. I reside/vote in neighboring town. I don't know where to find John Ganong.

I did call Thurston's Marina one day; lady said no Thurston was on the property, and she was not aware of details of the petition. Maybe I can stop today, Saturday 12th.

I hope making a comment, bumps this thread up.
If I were part of Busby Construction, I would never park equipment so near the building. Apparently the drive-in is open weekends, and certainly is not good public relations to movie attendees!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #186
Mr. V

You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

A group of protesters picketing the property would be a unique, inexpensive and effective way of bringing this matter to a head.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #187
jtb9212

Default Drive in

Maybe the best way to petition to have the Wide Open torn down would be to boycott going to the Drive In, hurt them where thier heart is, the wallet. Hate to see a business go out of business, but wouldn't mind if its a Baldi owned business. The public has the voice and the power to make them wake up, although I doubt they would get it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #188
no-engine

Quote:
Maybe the best way to petition to have the Wide Open torn down would be to boycott going to the Drive In, hurt them where thier heart is, the wallet. Hate to see a business go out of business, but wouldn't mind if its a Baldi owned business. The public has the voice and the power to make them wake up, although I doubt they would get it.
Agreed! Personally, I have not gone to drive-in or theater downtown Laconia for many years. Also, I have not gone to the water slide, or recommended any.

I remember reading an inn/motel owner (not identified) on this thread posting that they plan to NOT recommend any of those businesses to their clients.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #189
Belmont Resident

Default Problem with that

Quote:
Agreed! Personally, I have not gone to drive-in or theater downtown Laconia for many years. Also, I have not gone to the water slide, or recommended any.

I remember reading an inn/motel owner (not identified) on this thread posting that they plan to NOT recommend any of those businesses to their clients.
Although the drive in theater has become a run down neglected place that one would cringe to use the bathrooms at the options could be worse.
Imagine it as the sight of just another mega hotel, resort or even worse condo’s that instead of tying up traffic at night on the weekends creates more traffic and adds another eye sore to the lake.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #190
jtb9212

Default The Weirs in its older glory!

Click on the link and see what the Wide Open looked like when it was a hotel in its early days. What a beautiful majestic building. What a total shame to see it now and what is has become.

http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...ctanhotel.html

The Weirs was such a beautiful destination and has so much history. It is such a shame to see it where it is today. Enjoy the link to the photos. It really makes me sad to see that area in the state it is in today.
Attached Images

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
dykg (05-13-2012), fishdc (08-19-2012), Just Sold (05-14-2012), moose tracks (05-13-2012), NoBozo (05-13-2012), Pontoon Goon (05-13-2012), RailroadJoe (05-13-2012), Resident 2B (05-13-2012), trfour (05-13-2012), Winnigirl (05-14-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #191
RailroadJoe

Not enough money coming in. So, out it goes.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #192
Belmont Resident

Default You forget one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Lawyers and insurance companies. The "bane of man"
Don’t forget politicians! Lawyers and politicians have to be the lowest form of life on the planet. There is no low they will not stoop too.
When you need a lawyer you need one, but you feel dirty the whole time you are around them and glad to be away when it is over.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #193
no-engine

Quote:
Click on the link and see what the Wide Open looked like when it was a hotel in its early days. What a beautiful majestic building. What a total shame to see it now and what is has become.

http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...ctanhotel.html

The Weirs was such a beautiful destination and has so much history. It is such a shame to see it where it is today. Enjoy the link to the photos. It really makes me sad to see that area in the state it is in today.
Thanks for the link.

AND we could remember the Ho-Jo's next door...
Also the victim of fire, whose origin is undetermined... In 70's or 80's?
inquiring one (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #194
nhyitbos

Default Wide Open Saloon Petition to City Council tonight @7:30p.m. Live on local tv.

There was a great response to the petition signing. Yes, you don't have to be a resident because it is about "the community". The petition doesn't really need hundreds of names to make it's point. The city manager is all for this effort by Mr. Ganong. However, making it clear, Community encompasses those who pass by this burnt out eyesore on a daily basis. John Gagong will be presenting the petition, along with some residents, to the city council tonight at 7:30 p.m. The petition is to ENABLE the council to notify the state that "Time is of the Essence" for the residents and business owners in the Weirs. The legal problem is that the Supreme Court (there are multiple suits) has "dubbed" the suit by the city as "not detrimental to safety" and therefore has ranked its importance "low". The goal is to petition the court to "rank" it higher for a decision to allow the city to remove it. Rumor in the Weirs is that by June 15th there should be a decision. Unacceptable. That's the end of bike week and the beginning of tourism. Say what you will of the business owners and residents but they have been very quiet on this subject to allow the city, state and the owners (both title and lienholders) to work their way through the recovery of funds process. However, after almost two years this legal chess game is becoming too taxing upon the hotel/motels and cottages and affecting their livelyhoods of business income. The Lobster Pound has the most to loose from what I witness yesterday at brunch. The building is prominent from their dining room windows and it was the topic of discussion of some viewing patrons. Not sure they lived here so they didn't have the background of why it's still there. It is a known stat that the Weirs is over 35% of the city's income no matter how it is achieved. Bike week is a financial boom doggle for the businesses in Laconia also. The businesses that benefit the most are some that you wouldn't expect...Laconia Savings, TD Bank, Citizens, and Meredith Savings gives away thousands of dollars how? Collection of ATM fee's during bike week. Lowes, Ace Hardware, Trustworthy revenues rises from vendors needing construction supplies. Shaw's, Hannafords, Vista and Walmart for simple quick needs (coolers/prescriptions forgotten etc). Telephone company for vendor hook-ups, Amerigas and Rymes for hundreds of propane tanks and yes the City of Laconia stopped playing "fuzzy" math 9 years ago. In addition, many don't realize that the Weirs PO has extended hours during bike week (or used to) for tourists shipping leather home that they can't carry on their bike. Yes, time is of the essence to remove this building, tourism (not just bike week) season has arrived. I agree with one previous writer that I would rather be charged to the demolishing of this building for $400k (that's the estitmate) than $2.1M for the old prison or 1.5M for the Baldi's other property, the Colonial Theatre. The city likes to spend money except where they achieve the most money, the Weirs. just saying.
nhyitbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nhyitbos For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (05-14-2012), dykg (05-14-2012), kchadw (05-14-2012), Winnigirl (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #195
pelican

I agree with one previous writer that I would rather be charged to the demolishing of this building for $400k (that's the estitmate) than $2.1M for the old prison or 1.5M for the Baldi's other property, the Colonial Theatre. The city likes to spend money except where they achieve the most money, the Weirs.

But, without a valid court order to demolish the building we're all at a standstill. If the city were to bulldoze this property without the court's consent there's a good chance they'd have to pony up the funds to rebuild for the Baldis. So, $400k for the demo and then another million or more in damages - whoo wee. Do you really want the property re-built @ the city's expense?
And I respectfully disagree - ALL the properties in the Weirs are being hurt by this eyesore, not just the Lobster Pound.
And if my memory isn't completely shot - I don't think the city was ever going to buy the Baldi's downtown theatre.
And if I had the financial means, I'd love to buy the old prison property for $2.1 million - that's a steal - about $8,000 per acre. Beautiful views, prime farmland, great investment potential. Sell off the parts that aren't a hazard and use the funds to clean up the parts that are and you're left with a really nice piece of property.
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #196
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Although the drive in theater has become a run down neglected place that one would cringe to use the bathrooms at the options could be worse.
Imagine it as the sight of just another mega hotel, resort or even worse condo’s that instead of tying up traffic at night on the weekends creates more traffic and adds another eye sore to the lake.
I can envision when state legislature OK casinos and Bruton Smith go ahead with his plan on a maga casino complex across from the speedway.

I'm willing to bet Canterbury will fight tooth and nail against the proposal. I would suggest Bruton buy out the Weirs and turn it into a mega casino complex. It is the only way we can really change the eye sore.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #197
Belmont Resident

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I can envision when state legislature OK casinos and Bruton Smith go ahead with his plan on a maga casino complex across from the speedway.

I'm willing to bet Canterbury will fight tooth and nail against the proposal. I would suggest Bruton buy out the Weirs and turn it into a mega casino complex. It is the only way we can really change the eye sore.
Everyone is talking about what an eye sore that one building is, but the truth is the whole Weirs is an eye sore. So, the run down drive in and burned out building fit right in.
The burned out building catches my eye less then the big ugly open parking area that gets used once a year for bike week, the clear cut area just up the hill and the boulevard itself is pretty run down.

Hey if they put a casino in it’s just another example of direction the area is going. And why it’s great for the visitors but once they move here and realize what it’s really like 7 days a week they become frustrated as well.
dykg (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #198
Woodsy

Personally.... I think the whole thing STINKS!

The Baldi's dont want it torn down but yet they dont take the initiative to rebuild it?? WHY? If it is truly a salvagable building, then rebuild it!

Its been well documented that the insurance co, Lloyd of London is refusing to pay. So we know there is a lawsuit looming there. We also know that there is a third party that has been granted interest in the lawsuit vs the city. Whats thier deal? hmmmm..

Once that building is torn down, the chances of collecting from Lloyd's goes from slim to ZERO... thats what this is all about.

I think the ownership/leasing/insurance of this property is all one big shell game....

Woodsy
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #199
nhyitbos

Default Reply to Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
I agree with one previous writer that I would rather be charged to the demolishing of this building for $400k (that's the estitmate) than $2.1M for the old prison or 1.5M for the Baldi's other property, the Colonial Theatre. The city likes to spend money except where they achieve the most money, the Weirs.

But, without a valid court order to demolish the building we're all at a standstill. If the city were to bulldoze this property without the court's consent there's a good chance they'd have to pony up the funds to rebuild for the Baldis. So, $400k for the demo and then another million or more in damages - whoo wee. Do you really want the property re-built @ the city's expense?
And I respectfully disagree - ALL the properties in the Weirs are being hurt by this eyesore, not just the Lobster Pound.
And if my memory isn't completely shot - I don't think the city was ever going to buy the Baldi's downtown theatre.
And if I had the financial means, I'd love to buy the old prison property for $2.1 million - that's a steal - about $8,000 per acre. Beautiful views, prime farmland, great investment potential. Sell off the parts that aren't a hazard and use the funds to clean up the parts that are and you're left with a really nice piece of property.
The purpose of the petition is to expedite the court TO take down the building.. did you read the post? I never said that we should unilaterally demolish it. It's at a "standstill" because we haven't made an issue at the slowness of the courts. The courts ranking of the suit is the issue. Of course, a $1 turns to a million in value when seized. Second, the prison property for 2.1M would be off the tax rolls, therefore it would generate no property taxes. True, if you bought it then be on the tax rolls, so I hope an individual does purchase it and is able to sell it off in pieces. When has the city ever obtained a piece of property and sold it off in "pieces"? Excuse me, they have..the business park off of 106. However, has the initial investment of $400 ever been re-couped to date? No.
nhyitbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #200
jtb9212

Default Wide Open

Maybe the city should do the demo, pay the bill, put a lean on the property. They would end up with the property because the Baldi's would never pay the restitution on it. In turn to compensate the city back they should say thank you and take the Colonial Property as the compensation instead of paying the $800K for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
nhyitbos (05-14-2012)