Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
coley

Default Lake Traditions

I was wondering if anyone had any lake traditions to share. I know that when I show up at the home I rent in Wolfeboro for one week each year on Jockey Cove, I kiss the dock when I arrive and leave.
I thought I was soft but I was talking with someone at work today and he tells me that on the day of ice out every year, he drives to his summer home at Suissevale from Tewksbury MA and jumps in the water and goes under-no matter what the temperature-he has done this for ten years or so.....
coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
wildwoodfam

Red face Lake Traditions

Well - I sure don't do ice out - but Memorial Day each year - no matter the weather - I go in - and under - and Columbus Day I repeat the process to end my season of swimming in the Big Lake!

We also watch On Golden Pond once a month (at least) during the winter - and then on Sunday night of Memorial Day we watch it one last time before we put it away for the summer!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
tricia1218

I alway take a leave from the ground in the late fall when we close down for the winter and put the leave in the corner of a picture frame in the living room, to await spring. Don't now why, but just always have. (crazy)
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Pineedles

Default It's the way I am

Although it is a debatable inanimate object, I always say goodbye to the Lake whenever I am leaving for an extended period of time.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
RumGuy

Default Tradition

I just sob uncontrollably when I leave. It usually stops sometime in Barnstead.
Aside from telling the same stories on the trip up (it makes my kids nuts, so I make sure to do it now), the only tradition that I have is going down to the dock and taking it all in when I first arrive.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
gtxrider

Default Me to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumGuy
I just sob uncontrollably when I leave. It usually stops sometime in Barnstead.
RumGuy, I know the feeling had it since I was a kid.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
coley

Default Add our names to the list.............

I forgot about the crying bit-its crazy how many people mention this, but add our car to the list-it usually stops at the Alton Traffic circle....
Old 12-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
RumGuy

Default Stories

One of the stories that my kids know by heart now is the airplane that used to be in the swampy area off of 28, near Green's Marine in Hooksett. Anybody remember that? Or how good the Chinese Restaurant (also in Hooksett )smelled when you drove by.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
ghfromaltonbay

Default Never fully unpack

When I leave I also say goodbye aloud to Sandy Point & Lake Winni. Arriving home, I always leave a few small items in the duffle bag that I use as my main luggage. That way, I already have a few items in the bag in anticipation of the next trip back!

A late neighbor of ours at Sandy Point always made up the bed with fresh linens before closing up for the season in October. He said that guaranteed he'd be back in the spring.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #10
phoenix

always great when we get to Meredith center and first see the lake. real tradition is going around the house, yard and dock to see if everything survived the winter.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
joann721

Default We have a tradition that we didnt even realize we had...

Reading these posting I realized that we do the same thing every weekend. Friday night when we arrive in Alton Bay - we stop in the parking lot- if only for a few minutes and just look at the lake. Sometimes we get out of the car sometimes we dont. We then proceed to Meredith. On the way home we do the same thing... pull in the parking lot. Park or at least pause for a few minutes - take a deep breathe and drive home to reality. Strange huh !!!...
I love the idea of a Leaf... I'm going to do that next year !!

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumGuy
One of the stories that my kids know by heart now is the airplane that used to be in the swampy area off of 28, near Green's Marine in Hooksett. Anybody remember that? Or how good the Chinese Restaurant (also in Hooksett )smelled when you drove by.
I sure do remember the airplane, it was there for years and was part of an old jet fighter. Regarding the chinese restaurant with the big dragon. My son then being a youngster of about 4 use to start singing the song Puff the Magic Dragon as we drove by. Old memories are fantastic aren't they at least the good ones.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
murph

wasn't there some kind of Indian Post Store in Hooksett.
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph
wasn't there some kind of Indian Post Store in Hooksett.
Yes there was and the last time I went by it was still there and in business. It had changed hands several times, but the last time I went by the cabins where being used along with the little store.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
real tradition is going around the house, yard and dock to see if everything survived the winter.
This happens at our place every weekend all year long with the better half as she can never get enough of it and she has been going up to the same lake since 1941, but to a newer and better home now. Her favorite saying is, "Did I ever tell ya I love this place".
Old 12-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
John A. Birdsall

Default happenings

Ever since we could speak, as we drove into the Alton Bay area it was I see the lake first. We used to put our hands over my Lil sisters eyes so she could not see the lake first. And then their is I see the Mount first.

So many family memories on the lake. The work my father and Grandfather did year after year after year on the boat house. Taking the Bobbi B a 26' lake launch thru sallys gut., and other areas.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
Island Life

Every summer I get a coffee shake and fries from Sawyers and dip the fries in the shake. Once is enough each summer; this year I waited until Labor Day weekend, but looked forward to it every time I drove past or stopped for something else. Tastes exactly the same as it did every summer when I was a kid!

Also, every time I boat into and out of Smith's Cove with my kids (which is often), we wave to the lawn-ornament little boy with the fishing rod and a small fish at the end of the line sitting on a rock near the log-cabin style house. And every time we say "he moved."
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Here is the Key

I never say good bye to the lake. Although I don't live at the lake all year around. Mainly because with out water no one would be able to stand my odor after a few weeks once the lake froze and the water was out of the camp. But I make excuses all year long to go over at least for a day and do a little something at the camp. That way I am never gone to long, and it never seem like I have had to say good bye.

On the other hand, I am always trying to be the first on the road to have my boat in!!!!!!!!! The one year around resident always seem to beet me though
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #19
nj2nh

Default Lake Traditions

I love all of your traditions. We come into Alton from off of Route 28. We never, ever, drive the quick way to Echo Point by taking the highway towards Wolfeboro. I swear my husband slows down the closer we get to the bay just to torture us.

I, too, sob like a baby when we leave. My husband and kids think I am nuts.

I guess our tradition is a relatively new one. Most evenings, we take the boat into the bay. My boys play mini-golf at the Blue Jay while my husband and I read the Weirs Times or one of the other free papers. Then, we get ice cream at Shibley's and walk back down to the town docks to sit, eat and look at the boats. We head for home just as the sun begins to set.

Our other tradition, if you can call it that, doesn't even involve the lake. After my husband returns to Jersey, my boys and I stay for a week or so. We always drive up to Mount Washington one day and stop at Dondero's Rock Shop in North Conway. They love that! Another day, we drive the Kancamagus Highway, stopping at the turnouts so we can take a dip in the freezing water.

I will miss it when my boys decide they are too old for mini-golf or swimming along the Kancamagus Highway or, even worse, too old to spend their vacations at the lake. That's when it is time to retire and finally move up there once and for all.

Jersey Girl
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #20
Aquadeziac

I don't remember the airplane but I sure do remember The China Dragon, best Chinese food (and drinks) around, and the Indian Cliff Gift Shop. I think the Indian statue is still up on the side of the hill.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #21
Lucky2Bhere

The many years that we were seasonal at the lake we always played the Narada Wilderness CD on the stereo as soon as we arrived at the cottage. It let us know that we were "home". The thought of waking up and having coffee at the lake almost always made me jump out of bed in the morning. When we left my wife always said "goodbye lake". Closing weekend was always a teary affair with the following summer an eternity away.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #22
jerseyonbear

Default So many traditions

Reflecting back I guess the points for being the first to see the mount on each of her rounds would be the first. Jersey Girl they never get too old. My own are 40 today and still on vacation each year with me along with the grandchildren. We all love it, a special place to each of us and my parents before me. Now we look forward to making homemade Baileys and enjoying it on a screened porch, hearing the loons singing their song and the moon rising.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:53 PM   #23
Belkin

Default I see it!!

We never say goodbye when we leave the lake because we never expect to be gone long.

However, as kids, when we were driving to the lake we always competed to see who could see the lake first and yell out "I see it!". We learned all of the spots where you might get the first glimpse of the lake.

My wife continued the tradition too and now often beats me if I am not paying close enough attention. The kids just think we are silly.
Belkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #24
mets3007

Smile Traditons of A New Yorker

I go to NH 3 times a year and I have a few traditions

1. Stare at the Lake Winnisquam when I get to route 3/11 or whatever its called in Tilton going toawards Laconia, its the first sign of beautiful water when I get there

2. Walk on the Weirs Boardwalk and realize you have made it

3. Eat dinner at Galley in Laconia followed by a Hot Fudge sundae at Lilikulani's

4. Wake up in the AM and smell the fresh NH air ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5. Enjoy each day there and realize life is good at the Lake

Ill will be doing these traditons for my 19th yr at the lake in July 2007 and I am only 26
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #25
WakeUp

Default "Twisted" tradition...

Upon arrival, I twist-up a monsterous doobie and pay hommage to the Great Spirit. (One day I'll get a Peace Pipe.) Then...I go see the Medicine Man down at the Tavern and marinade myself in several Martinis....crazy tradition, so I'll always blame it on my Native American blood!
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #26
gtxrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
I love all of your traditions. We come into Alton from off of Route 28. We never, ever, drive the quick way to Echo Point by taking the highway towards Wolfeboro. I swear my husband slows down the closer we get to the bay just to torture us.

I will miss it when my boys decide they are too old for mini-golf or swimming along the Kancamagus Highway or, even worse, too old to spend their vacations at the lake. That's when it is time to retire and finally move up there once and for all.

Jersey Girl
I hope your boys never tire of the LAKE! We/I arrive on Rt.11 and as the car approachs Parker Marine and the first glimpse of the bay comes into view I am back to the little boy in the back seat of dad's car. After over 45 years I have not grown tired of the lake. Perhaps in the future I can retire to NH but intil that time its trips north.

Now I will break into the song from "Fiddler on the Roof"....Traditions, traditions.....
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #27
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Mount One!

More than 20 years ago, an older gentleman that lives on Long Beach at Lake Shore Park, used to shout out Mount One! every time the the Mount came into view.. (even if it was just a speck coming into the Broads). It caught on with everyone who was at the beach and became a fun game for all the kids, and adults at the beach. If you happen to be on the beach.. someone will still yell Mount One!... more than 20 years later.

In our family, we expanded the contest to any time you see the Mount... driving into the weirs, going by the Scenic drive on RT 11, or out on the lake in the boat. The game is to be the first to spot her.... silly, but it has become tradition in our family.

Great Topic...
Old 12-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #28
Waterbaby

Default Traditions I Love

Cruise over by Sleeper Island to look at the "Castle", then over to Rattlesnake to see the huge carved alligator....... visit Wolfeboro, of course, where we lived on the cruiser in the summer, walking around and reminiscing about the past........
Old 12-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #29
Dave R

Good stuff. Been a Winnipesaukee boater, off and on, for 30+ years and I don't have tradition.

I can recall turnning down Robert's Cove Road on Saturday mornings and seeing the lake for the first time (on that trip). That's such a nice view. I can also recall seeing white caps from that spot and getting excited 'cause dad always like to take the old wooden Grady White Catalina out to play in the white caps. That was such a nice boat...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #30
Silver Duck

Our "tradition" is Weirs Beach pizza (eaten at those rickety little tables), followed by an ice cream cone eaten while sitting at a boardwalk bench. This is something we like to do many times a Summer, and dates back many, many years to when we were dating as teenagers (actually, I suspect that the tables are the same ones we ate at 35+ years ago!)

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #31
Island Life

Default "The Mount"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
More than 20 years ago, an older gentleman that lives on Long Beach at Lake Shore Park, used to shout out Mount One! every time the the Mount came into view..

Funny, we have a similar tradition in our family. Every time we see the Mount (and we're there all summer and see it several times a day) one of us yells "the Mount" and then the rest of us chime in "the Mount." I guess it's getting kinda old.

Reading through the posts, I notice that so many of us had traditions when we were younger at which our kids now roll their eyes or we simply don't participate. When I was a kid, we had certain things that the whole family said as we passed certain landmarks on the way to the Lake. Once we got off Rte 93, all the kids were on the edge of our seats trying to be the first one to yell out the familiar phrases. I thought we just didn't do stuff like this anymore until I reread what I wrote above and pictured my kids yelling "the Mount" several times a day.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #32
HomeWood

I always like to make Heaths grocery my first stop, even if nothing is needed, I just like to stop their and get a few things. Then it's onto the lake house. The first thing, probably like many, is to walk down to the lake and just stare and take it all in. One tradition of mine is to thank the lord for having the privlage of being at the lake. For me, it is heaven on earth. My dad told me the other night that he has thought about selling the house in Mass and retiring on Winni. It just about brought a tear to my eye.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #33
Misty Blue

Default Tradition

Whenever I turn off of the Moultonborough Neck road on to Kona Farm Road the radio goes off and for the next two and a half miles I just take it all in. All the way to our beautiful dirt road. This helps me to remember to never take the Lake or life for granted.

Misty Blue.

Oh yea...

Whenever I visit Pine Island Guy's place, I leave a little clue for his webcam.

Last edited by Misty Blue; 12-25-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #34
NHKathy

Default Great Thread!

What a great thread to start, Coley!

I have truly enjoyed reading everyone's "Lake Traditions"!

Some of my Lake Traditions have been listed already, as they are common, but here goes:

stoping at the rest ares off rt 93 to get the Weirs Times and the Laker

when arriving, we always stay on the highway (rt.93) as long as possible (exit 23) to get there the quickest; but when we leave, we always go the "long way" winding around the lake via rt.3, so it takes longer to get to the highway!

always look forward to the 1st glimpse of the small lakes on rt 104 in Meredith, then as we make our way to the cottage in Moultonborough, we always stop in the parking lot of the docks in Meredith and just look out at the Big Lake, then we continue on and stop in Center Harbor too (usually the Mount is there!)

when we arrive at the cottage, I always 1st walk out to the edge of the dock, look over towards the Castle in the Clouds, and just sit and take it all in, perhaps a Loon will be in sight or in ear shot ("the Loons Norman!")

a more recent tradition - dining at Peking Tokyo is a must!

going to the Old Country Store in Moultonborough, always a must stop, even if i don't buy anything, just have to go there!

I always say "good bye" out loud to the lake and the cottage when leaving, even if only for a little while

each night that we are at cottage (and not out doing something else) I always have to go down to the deck on the Lake with my camera and watch the sunset and try to get that "perfect picture"! nothing beats a sunset at Lake Winni!

and as Mets3007 stated in his #5:"Enjoy each day there and realize life is good at the Lake"

Oh how I love it at the Lake!!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #35
Porch Sitter

Default Mount One

Our family has the same tradition as Steve A.! The first person to see the Mount on her daily rounds yells Mount one! Then the next person says Mount two!
It was probably the same person that started two family traditions because our Winni family roots also come from Lakeshore Park!
Porch Sitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #36
KEEPER

Default Some traditions are better than others...

I have an "ice out" ritual that I would argue is even more stressful on the body's central nervous system than jumping into a freezing lake.

I make it a point to visit the lake with a full ice cube tray and ceremonially toss in 2 to 3 (depending upon recent and forecast weather conditions). You see, the full tray represents the annual allotment of free time that Little Miss Winni has set aside for me in the coming year - and each year she demands her share of attention. Some years are better than others, but I'd just as soon she didn't as demanding and she has been in the last two.

I do relish a challenge though...

Keeper
KEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #37
chattypatty

Default Mount One!!

I logged onto the Bear Island cam one day just in time to see the Mount cruise on by on the way to Center Harbor. The whole office thought I was crazy when I yelled out "Mount One" !!! (old habits die hard, even though it goes back to the 60's & 70's when my daughter was young &, by the way, her father came from Lake Shore Park)
chattypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #38
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Mount "Washing Machine"

The kids have always been thrilled to see the Mount coming into Wolfeboro Bay. When my daughter was first learning to talk, and she'd see it in the distance, she'd yell out its name, but it came out sounding like "the Mount Washing Machine". Makes me smile to think about it.

Growing up, as my folks would drive into Wolfeboro from Alton, my brother and I would strain ourselves to be the first one to see the Windrifter sign and yell out "I see it!" (The Windrifter was our first "residence" at the lake.) 30 years later, and I still yell it out it in my head, even though the Windrifter isnt our final destination any more.

When leaving, I always have to take a detour down to the town docks to see the lake "one last time" even if leaving only for a week.

Great thread!
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #39
Waterbaby

Default Windrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro Matt
Growing up, as my folks would drive into Wolfeboro from Alton, my brother and I would strain ourselves to be the first one to see the Windrifter sign and yell out "I see it!" (The Windrifter was our first "residence" at the lake.) 30 years later, and I still yell it out it in my head, even though the Windrifter isnt our final destination any more.
Is the Drifter still there? Were you a timeshare owner?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #40
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Waterbaby: I'm pretty sure it's a time share now with an excellent golf course and indoor pool....
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #41
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Windrifter status

The Windrifter is indeed still there and still a timeshare. There is the main property right on South Main Street and smaller lakefront property on Lake Street downtown.

The Golf Course is under separate ownership, but people staying at the Windrifter can play there. Not sure if its public or private. And yes, there is an indoor pool.
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #42
Waterbaby

Default The "Drifter"

Matt, got your message and responded. McDude, thanks for the photos!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #43
BBS2

Default silliness

One "tradition" that has developed for us is as we go by the big BARK sign on the way into Alton, I do...bark : that is. All the tension flows away and silliness and fun now reign. Anyone know what that sign is for anyway?

Also...always make your bed before you leave on Sunday and leave the laundry in the bathroom ready to be done when you come back on Friday night!
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #44
ghfromaltonbay

Default I thought I was the only "loony"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS2
One "tradition" that has developed for us is as we go by the big BARK sign on the way into Alton, I do...bark : that is. All the tension flows away and silliness and fun now reign. Anyone know what that sign is for anyway?
I have also started to BARK, that sign just struck me when I first saw it. I believe they're offering mulch, but I saw it "differently" too.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #45
Weirs guy

thanks bbs2 and ghfromaltonbay, now I've gotta bark every time I see that sign.

This time of year we like to load up and head over to Center Harbor to visit the "girls" in their winter homes. Its funny how much we miss them when they aren't tied up here, and we still all stop each time one of them leaves or arrives during the summer and take a minute to enjoy it. The Mounts all dressed up in her Christmas lights and the kids were excited to see SANTA behind the wheel. Now if the Winni Flagship Corp. would show a little love to the Sophie and Doris with some lights of their own.....

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #46
JL Girl

What a terrific thread, Coley - this has been one of the best threads and I have truly loved reading everyone's comments. One used to think about the fun little things we did as “lake traditions” and wonder that if anyone ever heard us, would they think we were nuts, and after reading all the replies to this thread, found that we were not. I now have the great good fortune to live here full-time so don’t have to say “goodbye lake” and “goodbye camp” anymore. Our family rented here for 20 years before I bought here but these were some of our traditions below, arriving and leaving. I do have to comment, though, about the “Indian” on the top of the hill that Aquadeziac spoke about. Wasn’t there a teepee too with a spotlight shining on it, just adjacent to the Indian? As a small child with a very vivid imagination (including an imaginary friend), and inspired, I’m sure, by the Indian statue, I solemnly told my parents every time we passed by it that I had “come from the Indians”!

Arriving:

Getting excited the nearer we got to the lake and swiveling our heads back and forth, trying to take in all the changes from the year before…Meeting our relatives at Frankensundae’s in Meredith (which we called Frankenstein’s) for a sandwich and ice cream…Stopping at Jojo’s on the Moultonborough Neck Road on the way in to pick up ½ gallons of Weeks Ice Cream – particularly their coffee fudge…Unlocking the cottage or “camp” as we called it (we grew up with our own cottage on Cobbetts Pond in Windham that we called “camp” too) and putting up all the blinds/drawing back the drapes to “let all the good air in” as we called it…Making my bed up reversed (pillow at bottom, feet at top against the headboard) so that I could lie awake every night with the drapes back, the window open, all nice and cozy in my blanket, and listening to the sounds of the lake and if you were real lucky, for a loon’s call…Quickly unloading the car and putting the stuff away (always so much fun) and then racing to be the first one asleep for a nap that first day (how delicious!)…Hoping that we would see a loon out front and (we never failed to see one)…That first night, going out to the deck that ran the length of the house – with its built in seats with open backs and climbing into them backwards so that your feet hung out over the side, resting your head on your arms on the top board of the seats, and listening to Taps from Camp Tecumseh, sighing, and trying desperately to hang on to that first day, knowing the 2 weeks were going to fly by…Putting our handmade “Camp Loons R Us” calendar on the refrigerator and writing in who was arriving when.

Leaving:

For years we always made it a point to clean the camp on the last day till we wised up and had someone come in and clean it while we took all the remaining ½ gallons of ice cream down to the lakeside and ate them…Saying “goodbye, camp” and “goodbye, lake”…Hoping that a loon would appear that last day (like the Thayers in OGP) and it always did…Trying to catch the very last view of the lake (from the 2 scenic views on Route 11) and then Alton, and stopping for a hot dog and ice cream at Shibley’s. One thing we did as small children when we had our camp at Cobbett’s was to be lucky enough to stumble across a blanket at home that we had had at camp, inhale deeply of its fibers, and announce to everyone “Smells like camp!” Our parents would groan and mutter "it's only musty" and we'd yell back "uh uh, it's camp!"
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #47
BBS2

Default pretty soon

Does your dog look at you like you have a screw missing when you bark? I kind of assumed it was bark mulch that they were advertising.

One really important tradition of each arrival is to clean and fill the bird/chipmunk feeder...have to keep them fat and happy through the winter so we see them in the spring!

This is a great, positive thread that makes me realize just how truly fortunate we are to belong to such a place. For us its only been three years but it feels like always...

Happy New Year Everyone...only 12 more weeks until...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #48
tricia1218

This is a great thread, and i am glad to know we are not the only people who say bye to the lake when leaving. Right around Lukilani's Icecream on Paugus Bay when going home my fiance gets this look on his face :-\ half pout, half sad face this half pout sad face :-\ will remain until about exit 15 on 93.

We have friends that head up for the weekend to their own place near ours, so it is a race to see who is leaving work when, constant text messages U LEAVE? WHAT EXIT? TRAFFIC? PICK UP BEER the whole ride up.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:05 PM   #49
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Girl
One thing we did as small children when we had our camp at Cobbett’s was to be lucky enough to stumble across a blanket at home that we had had at camp, inhale deeply of its fibers, and announce to everyone “Smells like camp!” Our parents would groan and mutter "it's only musty" and we'd yell back "uh uh, it's camp!"
I know that smell! I have a pair of shoes with that smell and I know it comes from the months they spend hanging out in our camp during the summer. Sometimes, when we go into a place that has that smell, I say to the kids, "isn't this great? It smells just like the Lake." To which my husband says, in disgust, "that's mildew you smell."
Old 12-31-2006, 04:44 PM   #50
coley

I started the thread with our summer traditions but I have to tell you the kids have started a new one (now three years running) where we have to leave Danvers and go to the lake for lunch the week I am off between XMAS and New Years. Went up 93 to Meredith yesterday to have lunch at Guiseppe's and then took 109 to Wolfeboro to stop at the place we rent (with our friends permission), kiss the dock, and head to downtown for some window shopping before hitting 95 South and heading home. Boy, what I would give to be able to live up there year 'round....
Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #51
mets3007

Default Franken Sundae's

The 2nd person to mention Franken Sundae's I loved that place and use to go there when I was a little kid back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Today I go to Lilikulani's instead, but I surely miss Franken Sundae's.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #52
JG1222

Thumbs up Great Thread

Fantastic thread!

My wife's family (parents, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. - about 20 in all) vacationed together for thirty years during the same two weeks nearby in Gilmanton. Each of the individual families had their own "first night of camp" traditions, but my wife's family would come down the hill into Alton and have dinner at Pop's.

I've been coming to the lake since I was five years-old. My parents would rent a cottage just before the Black Cat Island bridge on Moultonboro neck. Just to make the long trip from Burlington, MA even LONGER - when we were ALMOST there, my father would stop to fill-up our plastic jugs with spring water from this little building on the side of the road. I'm sure the whole process took only a few minutes, but when you're young, and almost "at vacation" and have just spent the past 2 hours crammed in the "way back" of a 1976 AMC Pacer with a black & white TV pressing on your bladder the entire ride, it seemed like it took forever for those jugs to fill.

I accidently stumbled on the "Spring Water Building" about 15 years ago on a little road trip I took after I graduated high school. I saw it out of my peripheral vision as I drove by it, but the memory of it "clicked" as I passed it. I remember locking-up the brakes in my Olds Cutlass Supreme, taking a picture and just hanging out there for a while reminiscing.

+1 on Franken Sundae, by the way (although my love for Common Man Ale and Rock Crab Cake Sandwiches at "The Town Docks" has far since replaced my ice cream cravings at my age).

Last edited by JG1222; 01-03-2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #53
mets3007

My ice cream fix has lead me to Lilikulani's at Weirs area and sometimes JB Scoops or Dairy Queen.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #54
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1222
My wife's family (parents, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. - about 20 in all) vacationed together for thirty years during the same two weeks nearby in Gilmington.
What part of Gilmanton? My folks had a camp at Valley Shores for years and we used to camp there weekends. Funny, between that camp and the Weirs, growing up in Franklin, NH I spent a lot of time "vacationing" a half hour from my house!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #55
Waterbaby

Default So How Old Are You Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1222
I've been coming to the lake since I was five years-old.
Just curious, to put it into perspective!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #56
JG1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
What part of Gilmanton?
They were on Manning Lake. I was lucky enough to be able to join them for three years before the cottages went from two to 6-week rentals to make it easier on the owners.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #57
JG1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby
So How Old Are You Now? Just curious, to put it into perspective!
I just turned 33.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #58
mrportjeff

Default Traditions

The first thing I do is walk out to the end of the dock and say to my wife and kids - I'm home! I dont live on the lake, don't own a house but have been renting at the old Saunders Bay Motel & Cottages since I was a baby and now my family and I come back to what is now Yacht Club Vista and rent a condo at the same place for a week. This year it was very strange as my son started college and could not come with us the last week in August! It just was not the same! So this year we are trying to move up to the begining of August, but we are having problems finding a place to rent that week (Most of the owners want to come up that week).

The last thing do before we head home is to take a swim and walk out to the same dock and say "till next year". The next day, at home, I am never in a hurry to jump in the shower as I don't want to wash the lake out of my hair.
mrportjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #59
escaped from NJ

Every year, on the inside of the kitchen cabinet door, we write down the day we opened the cottage in the Spring and the day we closed in the Fall.... on closing day, seeing the continuation year after year is just one more reminder that we'll be back.
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #60
joann721

Default I love this

So many great traditions. Coming to the lake is truly coming home. Someday it will be home..

Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #61
Grant

I have a number of quirky, minor traditions that've accumulated over time. Too many & too obscure to list, since the Lake has been my only consistent "home" since birth.

But my twin daughters (now 15...how'd that happen?) have a classic, yet weird, tradition they developed on their own: Years ago, they acquired a small, cheap doll of "Burt" (of Sesame Street fame). Each year, before they leave the Lake for the last time, they "stash" Burt in a secure outdoor location -- known only to them. The location varies from year to year.

(See? I told you this was weird...)

Anyway, this has gone on for at least six or seven years, from the time they were 8 or 9 years old. In November of '05, when one of the girls and I were up to check progress on our "new" road, she dug up Burt.

Anyway, here's Burt hanging out on top of the TV in Melvin's Pine View Lodge that weekend (our water was off).

http://www.pbase.com/gfevans/image/52262324
Old 01-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #62
mets3007

Default In Perspective

I have been at the lake before I was born lol my mother was pregnant with me when they came to Weirs Beach in July1980 they stayed at the Howard Johnson's. I have been there each year since 1988 when I was 7 years old. I am 99 percent sure I will be up to the lake 3 times this coming summer. I read these forums each day 2 or sometimes 3 times a day and also the online Citizen once a day.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:27 AM   #63
BBS2

Default amen

Joann721...
Amen to that...only 9 more years for me!:
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #64
Deep Cover

Default So I'm not the only one.....

What a great thread. Now I know I'm not the only one who's completely nuts.

Have you noticed that the longest part of the trip is from the exit from 93 down the 104 to Meredith. I noticed it as a child and now my kids are noticing it. I remember feeling so gratified when they started calling out to each other to look from the top of the hill on Rt 3 to be the first to see the Lake.

The BIG tradition for me is to get everything unloaded and march off the dock. Usually I'm coming from California so my day has been full of planes and lines and car rental agents and whether or not i can remember what the toll is. So I get everything from the dock to the kitchen and into the lake I go. Sans clothes if possible. But this year, i was so glad to get to the island that - my neighbor had brought me over, and as he pulled away from the dock, I just plunged in. Luckily my cell phone was in my purse. And I have to swim down deep to the deepest coldest part I can find. I came back up and floated on my back, staring up at the trees. i must have sighed because my neighbor laughed and said, "That's renewal." ANd it's true, all the cares and frustrations and anger are gone by the time I surface.

I have to say, I admire anyone who can go in the water on ICE OUT or in May. It's like pins.

Well, other traditions include - going through the drawers and rearranging the pictures on the bookcase. It's a great walk down memory lane - you can hear people laughing and singing.

Sweeping out. Checking for carpenter ants. Getting the pine needles off the roof. Discussing for the fiftieth time with my sisters how we really need to get a chimney cap made - although the board and boulder system still works fine.

I try to bake all my bread when I'm here. When we first moved into our cottage (I was three) the kitchen was dominated by a big black cast iron stove. I like to get back to basics.

Having a cup of coffee in the morning sun on the front steps. Having a cup of tea and watching the Lake from the front porch. Looking for the moon as it rises above the point. Taking the boat out to the buoy with a glass of wine and watching the sunrise. Taking the boat out late on a starry night and turning off the lights. STanding on the front porch and going OOO and Ahhh over Weirs fireworks.

I don't cry when I leave, but i do try to take a last look to freeze the image in my mind. I now have a shot of my cabin on my cell phone. I love seeing it, but I'm not sure that I approve of it. Like it's better as a memory? Not clear on this one.

Well, here's to the Lake lovers all of stripes.

SED
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #65
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
I have also started to BARK, that sign just struck me when I first saw it. I believe they're offering mulch, but I saw it "differently" too.
OK, make that 3 loonies. I remember the 1'st time I barked at the sign when coming to the cabin with "Mee". She first asked what the #$%% I was doing and then why. I said I was just doing what the sign said. "What #$%#$^* sign ?" was the reply. It took a couple of trips but I eventually pointed out the sign to her. She stills says I'm "looney". Woof
Old 01-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #66
Grant

I guess my only consistent "tradition" (aside from things I just have to do) are the swims. Must swim shortly after arriving, and must swim RIGHT before leaving.

This does not apply to Nov-Dec visits, or any time the lake is solid, but the wetsuit might change that.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #67
Pineedles

Default Best Tradition

At least Burt looks pretty clean... Albeit a bit dismembered! Love the tradition your daughters have adopted. You have my vote for the best "Tradition"
Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #68
Just Sold

Wink Just Too Many Memories

I cannot pick just one specific memory to have a tradition related to the lake but if I had to describe one it is the first view of the lake. To see Winnipesaukee just brings peace to my soul. When I am at the helm of the Just Sold I am at the peak of serenity. It does not matter where I travel on the lake I always find something new or an old memory that brings me peace.

During the winter months I enjoy exploring the areas around the lake including the smaller lakes, ponds and brooks that are absolutely beautiful.

I know that I want to have my retirement and final resting place in the vicinity of the big lake. As long as I can captain a boat I will and nothing else in my life brings me so much joy and peace as boating and being on Lake Winnipesaukee. Just ask RG & McD they know how I feel and have experienced it with me.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #69
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
At least Burt looks pretty clean... Albeit a bit dismembered! Love the tradition your daughters have adopted. You have my vote for the best "Tradition"
Well, their tradition may end this year... Although they keep Burt's location secret each year, they've shared various hiding spots over time. But this year, right before we left, I saw one of the girls eyeballing a hole in a tree near the water. If that ended up as the final spot for '06-'07, the red squirrels will certainly appreciate the addition of Burts "innards" to their nests...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #70
JED

Default this says it all

Like diamonds thy waters
Like velvet thy trees
So pure is thy air,so soft is thy breeze
That I am loathe to leave thee and from God I implore
The grace to return again to thy shore
written in the 1940's and said to myself each time i leave the island
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #71
parrothead

Default Great Thread

My folks have now moved to the Lake full time. But when their house was seasonal, my Dad and I would spend a long weekend openning the house for the season. We would putter around the house, putting out all the porch furniture and cleaning up any debris that fell during the winter, taking off the skylight covers and the chimney cover, etc.. Every evening we would go for a boat ride around Meredith Bay, and through the channel at the Weirs. Then off to dinner somewhere in the area. It was alot of fun, except for the year I got elected to go into the Lake in the first week of May to retrieve the flag pole that ended up in the lake from the end of the dock. Talk about COLD!!!! Now that they are there all year we try to ski a couple times a winter, and we play golf for that long weekend at the beginning of the season.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #72
Pineedles

Default Grant's Children"s Hiding Place

"If that ended up as the final spot for '06-'07, the red squirrels will certainly appreciate the addition of Burts "innards" to their nests..."

Don't worry, with the warm weather this season the squirrels have much better stuff to munch on, as well as stuffing to build their nests with.

Are people "that" depressed up there with the warm weather? I guess if I didn't have to drive to work each day and encounter absolutely IDIOT drivers when there was a dusting of snow on the roads, I could have some sympathy. But I guess if you decide to live year-round in the Northern Tundra you kinda expect it to snow. BTW, Winter will begin on Monday! Wait for it, it will come! It will last longer than than all the complainers will want it to! Ice Out will be May 1st this year.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #73
Mee-n-Mac

Question Jan 1 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
Ice Out will be May 1st this year.
What is the written definition of ice out ? If it's the first date of the calendar year that all the Mount's ports are free of ice I think it's already happened. 2007 .... the year we had 2 ice outs ?

ps - yes I'm being optimistic
Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #74
Grant

Wow -- considering the relatively high lake temp and the downright balmy conditions to date, May 1 is quite a guess for ice-out.

I wonder if we'll have a lack of ice-in this year! Looks like we're still a few degrees above the average water temp for this time of year, and it's still unusually mild.

Then again, it's only Jan. 5 -- plenty of time for the weather to turn.

I feel badly for the owner/operators of ski places and the businesses that rely on their traffic. Same down here in PA. A friend in the Poconos has a brew pub near a major ski resort (which, in the summer, has a water park). The 50 degree temps are killing him. They can't even make snow at those temps.

Meanwhile, given the oil prices, I am not complaining about 69 degrees down here tomorrow. Just wish I could find a dive buddy...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #75
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
What is the written definition of ice out ? If it's the first date of the calendar year that all the Mount's ports are free of ice I think it's already happened. 2007 .... the year we had 2 ice outs ?

ps - yes I'm being optimistic

It's something like when the Mount can travel between all its ports ice-free.

I remember cross country skiing across the Lake on the weekend on January 8 in 1982. Everything was solid. Wish I had those photos.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #76
NHKathy

Default Anybody else?

Just wanted to refresh this thread - anybody else have any traditions to add? I have SO enjoyed reading these!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #77
jkjoshuatree

Wink It's Not Unique Or Exciting...

...but it's mine (like all of you who have posted-it's yours and it has special meaning to you).

Every year when we open up the cottage and I step out of the boat onto the dock I say, "it's good to be home."

That's it. Sometimes people hear me and sometimes they don't and it does't really matter either way, because I hear it (in mind, body, and soul), and that DOES matter.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #78
ApS

Question Sound familiar?

When I leave in Autumn, I grasp the porch rail and try to take in and memorize the a panoramic expanse of the now-deserted lake scene. The memory must last four/five months—until I return.

Upon arrival, I again grasp the porch rail, recall the beauty of a still-deserted lake , listen for any signs of Spring returning, and inhale the delightful oxygen of a newly-stirring New Hampshire.

Then I go prime the water pump.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #79
Cow Man

Default Tradition

My tradition is to wander down to the dock at sunset, after the kids are settled and toast the artist with a glass of fine cabernet, thankful for another day!
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #80
nj2nh

Default One more tradition

This is going to sound corny, but every year my husband and I ask ourselves why on earth we live in NJ and not in our little piece of heaven along the lake. Really, why do we live in NJ?????

Jersey Girl
(who would rather be Hamphire Girl)
Old 02-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #81
nj2nh

Default Yet one more

Almost forgot this one. I also like to find one picture that defines the summer and have it framed and hung in my house. I use is as the cover page for my annual NH scrapbook as well. The picture is almost always a sunset, but it was different this year. Thought I would share it with you all.

Jersey Girl
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #82
secondcurve

Jersery Girl:

I have also asked myself that same question and then I realize that the lakes region might not be as special if I lived there full time. There is something about returning to the area after being away for several weeks that is magical. I 'd be curious to hear from those who have moved to the area full time. Is my assumption accurate?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #83
Peechee

Wink moving full time/traditions

Thanks for a nice discussion. I would also like to hear about those who made the leap to the Granite State. I think about it too, but wonder if my sissy self could cope with wintertime, and being an "outsider."
As far as traditions, there is nothing like that first cup of tea — or coffee or cocktails as the case may seem — and the favorite view, upon arrival. I love roast chicken and gravy and mashed potatoes, blueberry pancakes, scent of pine, sparkle and sound of water. The first swim of the season is very reassuring. On leaving by boat at vacation's end, I stare steadily at our house until we round the corner and it is out of sight.
Peechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #84
ghfromaltonbay

Default Especially from NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
This is going to sound corny, but every year my husband and I ask ourselves why on earth we live in NJ and not in our little piece of heaven along the lake. Really, why do we live in NJ?????

Jersey Girl
(who would rather be Hamphire Girl)
My family says the same thing. It's especially true for those of us living in congested and EXPENSIVE northern NJ. We just got back yesterday from 4 days on Echo Pt. and I for one am ready to head back after this morning's commute to work.

PS - Jersey Girl: we were 3 houses away from yours, just 2 places south of the tan boathouse across the cove in your picture right next to the yellow house with the big barn/garage.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #85
Lucky2Bhere

Default As good as advertized

We moved up full time 3 years ago and have zero regrets. September is the best month of the year (after labor day!). The people are great, the restaurants know you, and there is no traffic or congestion. People who are shoppers and need to be very busy socially may feel isolated. The cold can be brutal but not very often. That feeling of being at the "Lake" never leaves but if you bring your mail and bills with you it does add a dose of reality. People who love the outdoors, nature, and small town living will never be disappointed! Every time I travel and return home I realize why I'm "Lucky2BHere"!
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #86
mets3007

I gotta agree NH is a different world than living here in Queens, NY where it is busy and congested all the time. The people know who you are and everyone is nice. Another new tradition we started is going to Galley in Laconia for dinner the 1st night and then to Ames for Breakfast Monday. The best part is stopping on Weirs Blvd at Lilikulanis and looking at the lake and saying wow how nice it is to be back. This is our 20th season of going to the great Lakes Region in July.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #87
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default 21 Years and counting...

We moved to Gilford 21 years ago this coming June.

Our kids were young, and we were looking to get out of the small house we had in Saugus MA. We looked all over the North Shore.. and couldn't afford the houses we liked.

In the middle of Jan. 1986 we took the kids to our "summer place" at Lake Shore Parkfor little winter fun. I went to a local store to pick up some supplies and came home with a real estate magazine.

The rest was easy... we sold our place in Mass.. and bought a house 3 times the size in Gilford for less than what we sold our house in Saugus for. Best thing we ever did for our kids, and ourselves. The people were not at all hard to get to know. Our kids loved it.. the schools were great and now our "summer place" is 6 miles from our home. (saves big time on the commute home after a weekend at the lake! )

Lot's of talk out here on the "New Hampshire Advantage" and most of it is focused on the dreaded tax issues. To us the Advatage really was raising kids close to nature in a safe place.

The lakes region is still close enough to the culture and wonderful medical facilities in Boston... but miles away from the traffic, taxes and general hassles of life in greater Boston.

I'm lucky.. as a salesperson I can live wherever I want. High paying jobs are few and far between in the lakes region unless you're a Doctor, Lawyer or own your own successful business. Property "on the lake" is very expensive.. but if you back away from the lake a few miles.. prices are very reasonable for the value received.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #88
Peechee

Red face Life in Gilford

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and wisdom in moving to Gilford. We used to dock the boat at Fay's Boat Yard; was wondering how Mr. Merrill Fay was doing, health wise, etc. Any news on him and the business? He must be looking at...70 or so?
Peechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #89
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peechee
Thanks for sharing your experiences, and wisdom in moving to Gilford. We used to dock the boat at Fay's Boat Yard; was wondering how Mr. Merrill Fay was doing, health wise, etc. Any news on him and the business? He must be looking at...70 or so?
Peechee,

As of mid-September, when I was last there, Merrill looked like he was doing fine. Yeah, I'd guess he is in his late 60s/early 70s. The business is doing well - very busy.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #90
codeman671

He is in his seventies and had a newborn child in the last year or so. He has more ambition than me, thats for sure! I had heard also that his wife was quite young, in her thirties I think.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #91
kayakn

Default on a sweet day like today

My tradition on a day like today is to get a chair, a good book, my sunglasses and a "nice" hot drink, find a spot on the lake out of the wind, and relax for a few hours. Some think I am crazy ...maybe...(another time) but it is actually quite nice. Esp after a nice long walk. These days do not last long enough.
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #92
John A. Birdsall

Default Bark

When I saw that sign, I thought it was for all the bark that was dumped close by. But my wife went looking and its a place that takes care of dogs. So if you bark real loud you will get a collar put on....

This is a nice thread, I have thought of a lot of things that I never thought of as traditions, but As I travel by boat from north of Echo point to the bay, I go by places that I had friends live and I always think of them, some are still their and I speak with them every year, One just north and East of Sandy point I went to High School in Mass, and she died just a couple years ago. But to remind oneself of all the friends we had and still have.

It used to be to watch the lake launches going down the bay, They have all but disappeared, so now we watch for the Varnish boats. Summer is not that far away.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #93
Just Sold

Talking Puddy-Tat

J A B

I know of one tradition you must remember fondly....the ritual of pulling the drian plug on the Puddy-Tat and then taking off to drain off the water that had accumulated. I remember being with you a few times especially the first and watching the water just disappear. I miss seeing that boat.

BTW does the boat in my avitar look familar? It is the ELBO 1 a 55 Lyman with mid seat streeing that we had with a 25 Evenrude. Later upgraded to a 35.

JS
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #94
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Lake Traditions

It takes five hours to drive to our camp. I never thought of our "car talk" as a tradition, but...we try to guess how much the gas prices are going to be in NH, usually 25-30 cents cheaper a gallon. Then there's the..."I wonder who is at their camps this weekend..." As we wind our way to camp, the car windows are rolled down and the sweet pine smell...aahhh. We know we're at camp, when the neighborhood mascot, a year round resident golden retriever stops by or swims out to greet us. As for leaving camp, a quiet stare at the lake, a final walk down of the property. We gas up at the country store, get a cup of coffee and the local paper and settle in for the ride which now feels longer than ever.
moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #95
Island Life

Default camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose tracks
It takes five hours to drive to our camp. I never thought of our "car talk" as a tradition, but...we try to guess how much the gas prices are going to be in NH, usually 25-30 cents cheaper a gallon. Then there's the..."I wonder who is at their camps this weekend..." As we wind our way to camp, the car windows are rolled down and the sweet pine smell...aahhh. We know we're at camp, when the neighborhood mascot, a year round resident golden retriever stops by or swims out to greet us. As for leaving camp, a quiet stare at the lake, a final walk down of the property. We gas up at the country store, get a cup of coffee and the local paper and settle in for the ride which now feels longer than ever.
Moose Tracks, I notice another tradition in your comment. You lovingly call it "camp." Ours is very much a camp and - for tradition's sake - I wouldn't think of calling it anything else, but there are fewer and fewer places around the lake that can be called "camp." I wonder how the owners of those mcmansions-by-the-lake refer to their places?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #96
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Talking "Camp"

Good thought....we can thank my mother-in-law for our "camp" lingo tradition.
How do you know it's a camp? When you're driving up with 14 gallons of water in your trunk...when you hope the local spring is still running or nobody gets to flush...if a tree isn't across the driveway, you may get the honor of pulling up to the camp...when you use rabbit ears covered with aluminum foil to get your one snowy channel so you can watch Fritz Weatherbee's NH Chronicles...and you check the basement to see if the local mice have met their demise at the DeCon diner...
moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #97
Waterbaby

Default New Lake Tradition

I've been "Laking It" for, well, more years than I admit to being alive , but just started what's going to be a tradition with my 11-year-old son....... Thursday I took him on a road trip to see the iced-in lake for the first time in his life. (He's only seen the Lake from ON it.) Picture it..... we're driving into Alton Bay, I told him to get ready and look -- he sees what he's used to being "blue" water, and tells me "Mom, something doesn't look right, it's a lot of white!" I went........ and explained that's how the Lake looks when frozen!!!!! We stopped by the Alton town docks, he saw men drilling in the ice and a plane land We continue on our way up toward Laconia, stopping at both scenic views. Continued up to Meredith, where he was fascinated by the BobHouse Village -- ya'll should have seen his face after I got him 15' onto the ice and said "when we get home you can tell Dad you walked on the Lake". YIKES! said his expression, as he froze in place -- he thought he was still on land! I saw a BobHouse (called "The Lodge") -- the generator was running and the padlock was not on the hasp, so I knocked on the door and introduced my son and myself and explained he had neither been on the ice nor seen a bobhouse before, and could my son see the inside? The gentleman inside was gracious enough to invite us in. In addition to all of that excitement, my son saw a plane taking off from the ice in Meredith, and several snowmobiles going onto the Lake from the Inn from Bay Point Inn(I think it's called), and he also spotted the WMUR camera atop the roof. All in all, a fabulous day for him and I! I loved being able to show him another "side" of Winni, and now he can't wait to go up at the end of March or beginning of April to see part of the "ice out" process......... another tradition to start!

Sorry to ramble on so, it was just such a precious day for us as the beginning of a new tradition, and I wish all of you many more traditions!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #98
SIKSUKR

That's good stuff Waterbay
Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #99
joann721

Default Similar Experience

We brought our Nephew who is 5 to the lake last weekend.

He also had never seen the lake frozen. He was taken with the planes and
the snowmobiles. But he didnt want to "walk" on the lake. He was very hesitant about it, and that type of caution is good so we didnt push it.

His best comment of the day- IT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT ICE CUBE !!!

I love the lake and all that it represents ...

Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #100
KBoater

Default Home

I always consider that I am “Home” when I see the lights or houses of Wolfeboro from the Rt. 28 “Hills” in East Alton. What are those hills really called?

Also a fall foliage trip around the lake by boat is a must. This is getting harder every year since my commitments in FL start in Oct.