Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Just Sold

Post Changes at Alton Bay

I learned today that Amylyn's (Busy Corner) had been sold a while back and it is now owned by the same people who own the Chinese restaurant across the street. New Name "Bear's Bizzy Corner". They are doing a nice job refurbishing the building. Wonder how the new name spelling will go over with those that remember the original "Busy" in the name.
Attached Images

Last edited by Just Sold; 03-29-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
mcdude (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
MGWillia

So glad they brought back the Busy Corner theme... Now people won't stare at me like I'm crazy when I call it that....
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

They applied to get "Busy Corner" but that name is in use in NH. Mary's husband's nickname is Ted (or Teddy Bear), hence the name. Also, just as a point of clarification, Mary and Ted are leasing and running the store. The owner bought the store which also includes the building housing Mahoney Plumbing, and also bought the Olde Bay diner last fall, and Donna is leasing and running that. The store was hoping to open on April 1st, but that may be a little optimistic. Oh, and I think "Bizzy" will end up being a topic of conversation.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

From the Baysider
Quote:
Breathing more life into Busy Corner
Murphys set to open Bear’s Bizzy Corner Store April 1
BY CATHY ALLYN
Contributing Writer
ALTON — On April 1, 1978, John and Cindy Duffek opened the Alton Bay Busy Corner Store. This year, on April 1, the doors will open again as Bear’s Bizzy Corner Store, under the new management of George and Mary Murphy.
The store has changed hands several times in the interim, of course, but it’s now seen as the beginning of a new vision for Alton Bay.
The Murphys and Richard D’Angelo of New State Realty Management LLC plan to redevelop the bay area by purchasing and rehabbing several buildings. All dreams start with a first step and Bear’s Bizzy Corner Store is just that.
Mary Murphy is spearheading this part of the venture. "The public is so enthusiastic about us doing this that I’m really excited. I can’t go anywhere without someone stopping me to ask questions about the store."
A motorcycle enthusiast, years ago Murphy had been in the area for Bike Week and wanted to give her children the same kind of childhood she’d had in Cape Cod. "I fell in love with a place
where my kids could build forts and not have to ride bikes in a parking lot."
So she arrived in town in 1997, fresh from college, with a goal of doing something with police departments, hopefully with juvenile offenders because she had a knack with troubled kids.
With two children already, Murphy’s plan to put her minor in criminal justice to work was "paused" by a third pregnancy. Instead, she and her husband at the time started a cabinet business, and then she branched into operating a daycare so she could be home when her kids were young.
A background in food service served her well when she supplemented her income by working at JP China. When a divorce was thrown into the mix, the restaurant became even more important to her.
"I offered to purchase the business in 2010," Murphy said. She took over running it the following year, leasing the place until she purchased it last July.
The business entails more than just the popular Chinese restaurant. There are also five apartments and a motel of six rooms on the property.
"There are things to do," she understated. "It’s not hard work, but it’s time consuming."
Her rise to business owner all sounds straightforward, but it was far, far from that. The deeper story is more
telling as to who Murphy is.
"When I first moved here, I had some dire straits and the town helped me out. I told myself if I was ever in the position to give back, that’s what I would do, and that’s what I’ve done."
She received help from another direction early on, also. "I purchased a house when I didn’t have much of anything. The seller gave me a break and let me get my feet on the ground. She trusted me to pay her back."
Murphy has been paying it forward ever since. She volunteered for the town newspaper Main Street, acting as the advertising person. She painted the bandstand, and gives regularly to the food pantry and End 68 Hours of Hunger. Non-profit organizations are allowed to bring their events to the restaurant, and she’s done benefits for people struck by illness.
telling as to who Murphy is.
"I’m always trying to raise money," she said.
She explained that Tom Montague’s accident upset her greatly. "He is a patron who became a friend." So she coordinated building a ramp for his home and scheduled people to stay with him so his daughter could return to work.
She treats her employees with the same kind of respect and affection. "Everyone who works here is a member of the family. I believe in fixing mistakes, not getting rid of them, so I give people several chances."
Not surprisingly, it has paid off. "The staff has far surpassed any expectations any owner could have in loyalty and having the community’s back. We feel you have to give to the community in order to receive."
Giving to the community pairs with revving up the bay. "The whole time I’ve worked at JP China, I’ve paid attention to the place across the street," Murphy said. "I’ve been listening to the community and thought it was important to bring back Busy Corner."
It’s true that there is a lot of nostalgia associated with the store. "To make it more personal, I chose the name Bear’s Bizzy Corner."
Bear is husband George, whom she married in 2012, known as Ted. "Ted and I were thinking about leasing the store."
In the meantime, D’Angelo purchased the local diner and become friendly with the Murphys. "I told him we were interested in taking over the store."
A meeting quickly became a deal. "Rich is a great guy; he’s fantastic to work with and I can’t say enough about him. I’m going to make him proud."
In typical fashion, it’s become a family affair. "Ted and I spent
18 hours sanding the floors. We don’t have a pocketful of money, so we’re doing the work inside ourselves."
The staircase has been replaced as have all the windows, and vinyl siding has been added. "We’ve cleaned, painted and refreshed the whole place."
Ted and his brother David will be working at the store and brother Gary may be involved with caring for the properties.
"Friends of ours will take over the gift shop and bait shop," Murphy said, "so we’re not spread too thin. This is a great opportunity for them and they’re excited about it."
Murphy said she plans on "keeping it simple so we can customize to suit the needs of people in this area. I’m hearing that people want subs and cookies."
Bait, RV and fishing licenses will still be available, as will deli and baked goods. "We’re going to be the home of the honey bun and bear claws."
As opening day approaches, Murphy is calm. "I do research and planning before I make a move; I analyze things." A good sense of humor no doubt helps, too.
"People have trusted me to pay them back twice," she said. "And now Richie trusts me to run the store."
Murphy has a deep belief in the town. "Alton has so much to offer," she said. "We want to give people more options."
Her theory is that Alton Bay can be made its best by working together. "When businesses open, I post that information at the restaurant so people are aware. I try my hardest to band all of these businesses together because the more people we draw, the more likely we all are to be successful."
One of her ideas is a pole at the docks with fence pickets pointing the way to different businesses so arriving boaters "can tell what is here."
Murphy is grateful for everyone around her. "My husband has made me a better person. We’re in this together." She is also grateful to her employees and the community.
And she’s never forgotten the person who helped her buy her first home. "I wrote her a letter telling her my life has gone so well and thanking her for the opportunity she gave me."
Things don’t always pan out the way you hope. Murphy didn’t wind up in law enforcement. Some of her other dreams were thwarted, too.
"I always wanted a place where I could cook," she said. Chinese cooking takes years of experience, so she’s never been behind the stove at her own restaurant, and it looks as though Ted will be doing the cooking at Bear’s Bizzy Corner Store.
Murphy is unperturbed. "I roll with things. I do have a good life. Plan A never works."
Fortunately for her community, her Plan B and C, D, and possibly even on to E all bear her touch of success.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (03-30-2015), Leoskeys (04-03-2015), MGWillia (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
They applied to get "Busy Corner" but that name is in use in NH.
There can't be two stores in NH with the same name?? copyright?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Nice article.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
There can't be two stores in NH with the same name?? copyright?
If it is an LLC or Inc. then the answer is no.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
If it is an LLC or Inc. then the answer is no.
A quick search on Google reveals a Busy Corner Store in Portland, Oregon, Gloster, Mississippi, Blackduck, Minnesota and Jefferson, NH.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A search of the NH State Corporate division

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
A quick search on Google reveals a Busy Corner Store in Portland, Oregon, Gloster, Mississippi, Blackduck, Minnesota and Jefferson, NH.
I checked it and there is a Busy Corner Barber Shop active in Laconia (I think), and The Busy Corner in Jefferson NH. I believe the latter is the one that caused the problem.

Of interest was a reference to Butler's Busy Corner in Alton, which was Busy Corner when it was owned by Sid and Mary Butler, who was the great uncle and great aunt of my girlfriend back in the day.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I think that it was Steve (2 owners back) who told me that it was the Busy Corner in Laconia that threatened legal action if the name was used at the Alton store. I recently noticed that the Laconia Busy Corner store is closed.

Anyway the updates to the building look great and best of luck to the new proprietors.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (03-30-2015), upthesaukee (03-30-2015)