Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
challmec

Default four winns question

I have a horizon 194 2005.
It has a19x6.5 prop and with 4or more onboard it is difficult to get on plane.
it has a 5.0 eris motor.
I expect that the prop is not correct and would like feedback as to a better setup.
boat was purchased new from winnisquam marine. Not much help there
Thanks
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Dave R

The prop spec you wrote is weird and inaccurate. Please check and re-post.

What is your WOT RPM? WOT RPM with a typical load, correct trim, and an engine in a proper state of tune, is the correct starting point of propeller selection. Post that and I can recommend a prop that will make you happier.

If you have a 3 blade aluminum prop, you will probably enjoy the upgrade of a 4 blade. V8s and 3 blade aluminum props are a bad mix in my opinion. Too much blade area and torque makes for a "mushy" feeling prop with excessive slip. Stainless steel props are a nice upgrade as well.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default info

There was just a long thread on the same subject and I believe same type of boat. I believe Woodsy posted a link that had the specs of props and boats.
You might want to search that thread.
Sad that the dealer isn't any help to you.
challmec (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post

What is your WOT RPM? WOT RPM with a typical load, correct trim, and an engine in a proper state of tune, is the correct starting point of propeller selection. Post that and I can recommend a prop that will make you happier.

If you have a 3 blade aluminum prop, you will probably enjoy the upgrade of a 4 blade. V8s and 3 blade aluminum props are a bad mix in my opinion. Too much blade area and torque makes for a "mushy" feeling prop with excessive slip. Stainless steel props are a nice upgrade as well.

I just had the same scenario last week . had disscussion with my dealer. It seems when lake testing a new boat, that If it meets minium factory specs., WOT RPM thats good eneough for the dealer. changing the props on my 4 winns 258 cruiser to F-3s Improves that dramaticly. gets on plane much faster. overall performance Is much better.Down side is the props cost me $1200.00 Installed.

challmec (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
I just had the same scenario last week . had disscussion with my dealer. It seems when lake testing a new boat, that If it meets minium factory specs., WOT RPM thats good eneough for the dealer. changing the props on my 4 winns 258 cruiser to F-3s Improves that dramaticly. gets on plane much faster. overall performance Is much better.Down side is the props cost me $1200.00 Installed.

Ouch. I always check ebay for props.

Boats tend to carry more weight, the longer you have them, especially cruisers. People tend to add electronics, cookware, anchors, tools, canvas, chairs, tubes, floats, fenders, towles lines, spare parts, motor oil, drive oil, batteries etc. They rarely remove things and that stuff really adds up. Combine that with a full tank of gas, and the boat can be a real pig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
challmec (05-06-2012), fpartri497 (05-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
challmec

Quote:

OK will do thanks much
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
fpartri497

Quote:
Ouch. I always check ebay for props.

Boats tend to carry more weight, the longer you have them, especially cruisers. People tend to add electronics, cookware, anchors, tools, canvas, chairs, tubes, floats, fenders, towles lines, spare parts, motor oil, drive oil, batteries etc. They rarely remove things and that stuff really adds up. Combine that with a full tank of gas, and the boat can be a real pig.
and dont forget the water holding tank being full at 8.5 lbs per gal. plus whatever you may be carring In the waste tank.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by challmec View Post
OK will do thanks much
If it's always been slow to plane, it should be easy to fix. If it's a recent problem, it's probably not the propeller.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
challmec

Quote:

sorry for the delay.. I will get the correct prop i nfo asap and relay to you