Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Jeanzb1

Default Swimmer's Itch = Duck Mites?

What's this I hear about "duck mites?" Our eight-year-old granddaughter spent the entire day in the lake yesterday, and by 4:00 she was in tears from incessant scratching and itching. Benadryl helped, but she is covered with bite marks from head to toe. Neighbors have told us that duck mites are the culprits. Any way to prevent this? Thanks for any and all help.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
This'nThat

Here's an interesting article on Swimmer's Itch.

And another one on treatment and prevention.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
winni for fun

Default duck itch

This is commonly referred to as duck itch. The itching will last for about a week. I have found that lathering in sun screen will prevent the parasite from getting to the skin. Also making sure to wash swim suites (especially around the waist bands), and shower once swimming is done will help a lot too.
winni for fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
eillac@dow

Wow, I cannot believe I saw this post. About 4 hours ago, I spoke with my sister who was on her way home from the lake with my daughter and my neice. She was telling me that both girls were complaining about being itchy and had bite marks on them. My sister thought it was duck itch. So as you can see, I was suprised when I saw this thread.

Needless to say, I went to Walgreen's and grabbed some Aveno so she could take a warm bath and hopefully it would help the itching. I also have some benedryl and 1% Hydrocortisone cream....as a just in case.

Now....I think I will start a thread under "pets" to see if dogs can get it.....since the girls were in the water yesterday playing with the dogs!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Guy

I know it does not help much if you are a child in and out of the water all day but the research we have done indicates 2 important rules.

Try not to swim where ducks swim.

Vigorously dry with a towel when you get out of the water and try to avoid evaporative air drying.

I think I had a case 7 years ago. No one has ever had a case again at our camp.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Skip

Post Duck itch information.....

Great wiki article on Duck (swimmer's) itch can be read HERE!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Nagigator

Default where were you?

I'm curious to know where your grandaughter was swimming. I always remember the duck itch coming later in the season. Was it a public beach, or private property? Not to be too nosy............
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
KonaChick

Some of us get it to varying degrees every summer no matter what (my nephew gets it the worst). We've found lots of cream based sunscreen, rinsing off immediately after getting out of the lake and a large supply of benadryl help.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
eillac@dow

Nagigator....I am not sure where Jeanzb1's granddaughter was but my daugter was at our island, private beach, in Moultonboro. It has been years since any of us picked it up.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Nagigator

Default must have missed it

We've been swimming all week at my in-laws in Moultonoboro along with family memebers and had no problem. We did not take any of the precautions you guys advise. We usually wait until later in the season when the water really warms up to get serious about the duck itch..
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Jeanzb1

Default For Nagigator

We are at Smith Point. Unfortunately, yes, there are ducks in the cove.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 AM   #12
Sunbeam lodge

Default Duck Itch

I was cleaning up some leaves in the water yesterday and got a lot of it. We never seem to get it too bad but it seems very heavy this year and I haven't seen a lot of snails. I wonder how long they last and does one area get infected and then stay infected all season.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #13
lakers

Default Ivy-Dry DEFENSE spf25

our kids seem to get it each year...last year we tried Ivy Dry Defense sunblock..it claims to "protect your skin from plants oils and resins" in addition to the sun..it seemed to work...BUT rinsing and vigorous drying immediately after getting out of the water is important as well...good luck
lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #14
AC2717

Default Well

Any way to get rid of this once it is here?

Can we start listing where cases of this are turning up, We are coming back up on Thursday night and my 3 year old is going to want to jump right in on Friday morning

Thank you
Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #15
hilltopper

Default AfterBite maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Tender Corporation (based in Littleton, NH) makes a product called AfterBite. This product works incedibly well for black fly and mosquito bites. It does not "get rid of" the bite but it does get rid of the burning/itching. Might be worth a try...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #16
AC2717

Default Meant

Sorry meant any way to get right of the Duck Mites in the water for the rest of the season? Not for the bites on the skin, sorry
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #17
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post

Can we start listing where cases of this are turning up, We are coming back up on Thursday night and my 3 year old is going to want to jump right in on Friday morning

Thank you
It's an occupational hazard of swimming I guess, beaches/swim areas don't close down because of duck itch (not that I'm aware of anyway). Let the kids swim....perhaps use some of the mentioned precautions and when they get out rinse off well and towel dry vigorously. We have been swimming in the lake for 9 summer's now and have had it on and off and to various degrees. It has never once stopped us for enjoying ourselves in the water.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
weim2

Years ago we never had this "Duck Itch", we did not have many ducks either. Water was perfect and clear. Too bad people thought it was cute to feed the ducks, so they hung around. Maybe reducing the duck population would help. We never had Canada geese either.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim2 View Post
Years ago we never had this "Duck Itch", we did not have many ducks either. Maybe reducing the duck population would help.
I understand there are several tasty ways of "reducing the duck population".
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #20
AC2717

Default Be my guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
I understand there are several tasty ways of "reducing the duck population".
Too greasy for me, then too much work to de-feather
Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #21
ApS

Arrow It's the Algae...

Quote:
Years ago we never had this "Duck Itch", we did not have many ducks either. Water was perfect and clear. Too bad people thought it was cute to feed the ducks, so they hung around. Maybe reducing the duck population would help. We never had Canada geese either.
The Duck Itch plague will last all summer. Occasionally, I'll get two or three bites in one hour of swimming near shore.

I asked my camper-friends at the Camp Wyanoke forum if they could recall any Duck Itch cases. (Camp Wyanoke closed in 1975, and the forest converted to at least a dozen year-round residences).

Nobody at the Wyanoke site could recall any Duck Itch cases—nor any ducks or Canada Geese, either. (Loons are affected by the snail's spreading of Duck Itch too—and we certainly had Loons in 1975).

What is new is algae and the snails that graze on it.

Snails spread Duck Itch to ducks (successfully) and to humans (unsuccessfully, but stressfully).

Algae needs the elements of nitrogen and phosphorus to flourish: Both elements are provided by lawn fertilizer.

http://www.uvm.edu/~vlrs/doc/lawnfert.htm

Last edited by ApS; 07-01-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: "the 70s" changed to "1975"...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
Jeanzb1

Default Thank you for all your advice!

I am very grateful for all the advice you have provided. This duck itch is really miserable. I know, because now I have it, too! It looks like the chicken pox and the itching is non-stop. But we don't want it to ruin summer fun on this awesome lake (that is, if the sun would ever shine again.) So from now on we shall heed all of the precautions you have posted. Again, many thanks to everyone.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
weim2

Question

In my opinion, this duck itch is a public health issue. This is pretty bad if it lasts a whole week and really interferes with the enjoyment of the lake. What does the state think of this issue?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It is interesting, I didn't know it came this early. I wonder if it is this bad because of all the rain and damp weather.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #25
hilltopper

My wife told me that our daughter's day care had a flier posted warning of duck itch cases at the Leavitt Park beach in Meredith. Wonderful...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #26
KonaChick

Quote:
In my opinion, this duck itch is a public health issue. This is pretty bad if it lasts a whole week and really interferes with the enjoyment of the lake. What does the state think of this issue?

e.coli is a public health issue, duck itch is not.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #27
weim2

Why is it not a public health issue if you get this awful rash for a week and spread by a parasite? Pretty widespread throughout our lakes now.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #28
Newbiesaukee

I put this in the category of mosquito bites, black fly infestation and poison ivy. It is annoying, uncomfortable but it doesn't really have any serious consequences. Also, there is no easy solution from a governmental perspective that would be truly acceptable or practical. Information is available from public health authorities, but I do not see the necessity or practicality of more drastic public measures.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #29
Coolbreeze

If you don't like snails stop giving them nitrogen to eat, they did fine before society decided to run lawns up to the lake. If you don't like ecoli, fix your septic tanks, wash your food and practice good hygene, it will always be present as long as there is poop. We created these problems by our lifestyles and cultural practices. The only way to resolve them is to begin to change our ways. As said earlier in the post stop talking and start doing. If you see a landscaper fertilizing next to the lake, take a picture and get the id numbers off the truck, soon enough someone will get the message.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #30
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I put this in the category of mosquito bites, black fly infestation and poison ivy. It is annoying, uncomfortable but it doesn't really have any serious consequences. Also, there is no easy solution from a governmental perspective that would be truly acceptable or practical. Information is available from public health authorities, but I do not see the necessity or practicality of more drastic public measures.
I don't know how to do that "thumbs up, thank you" avatar but thank you, my thoughts exactly.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:09 AM   #31
ITD

DON'T FEED THE DUCKS!!!!!! Haven't had duck itch yet, hopefully I won't this year either.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #32
AC2717

Default Happy to Report

No Duck itch in my little neck of the woods in Paugus bay, I am happy to report
Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #33
navymom01

My son just returned from vacation and they had one day of sun. They took their 3 year old to Leavitt Beach in Meredith for a couple of hours and he is covered with Duck itch. I appreciate all the advice I have seen on line and will pass it on. Are there any beaches where this is NOT a problem. I would rather drive a little more than see little ones suffering with this. There was so much of it all last year, both at Center Habor and Meredith, that it is really a shame.......We all love the lake....but if you have a child that is super sensitive to this, it is an issue...
navymom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #34
Rattlesnake Guy

Went to Wolfborough today. Could not believe the amount of duck crap on the docks. Don't feed the ducks and have the guts to tell others who are about the parasites they bring to the water.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #35
MissPlaced

My brother's dog got duck itch last summer--ended up getting some type of shot from the vet because her skin was so red/itchy--making her crazy--
MissPlaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #36
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy Duck Itch - Yuck!

Duck Itch or Swimmers Itch

Preventive measures can be taken to either reduce exposure or attempt to prevent the penetration. Swimming rather than playing or wading in shallow water will reduce exposure. If swimmer’s itch is known to be present, avoid swimming when winds are likely to be carrying cercariae into the beach. Swim offshore if possible. Brisk and vigorous toweling immediately after leaving the water can crush the cercariae before they can penetrate the skin. Some recreationists have noted that some sunscreens and lotions reduce the infections, and a professional aquatic biologist reports applying a waterproof sunscreen before swimming has personally been successful to prevent swimmer's itch. Once the irritation has developed, various soothing lotions or ointments may be applied to relieve the itching. For severe cases, prescription antihistamines and topical steroid creams may be prescribed by a physician.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #37
travaler18

Default sand bars

just wondering about swimming off the boat at the sand bar on paugus bay.there are ducks there due to the idiots that feed them ,but we are usually a couple hundred feet from shore on the sand bar when we swim . are the mites out that far out from shore.
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #38
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Wear Waterproof Sunscreen & Towel Vigorously!

Swim offshore if possible.

Swimming rather than playing or wading in shallow water will reduce exposure.

Brisk and vigorous toweling immediately after leaving the water can crush the cercariae before they can penetrate the skin.

Professional aquatic biologist reports applying a waterproof sunscreen before swimming has personally been successful to prevent swimmer's itch.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #39
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
What is new is algae and the snails that graze on it.

Snails spread Duck Itch to ducks (successfully) and to humans (unsuccessfully, but stressfully).

Algae needs the elements of nitrogen and phosphorus to flourish: Both elements are provided by lawn fertilizer.

http://www.uvm.edu/~vlrs/doc/lawnfert.htm

Yep As I was saying to my neighbors last year there is a price to pay for all those nice beautiful chemically enhanced lawns.... that why I prefer my yard just the way it is, no grass.... just the sandy soil that has been there for years.....
Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #40
weim2

Unhappy

I have been swimming in the Lake for over 50 years and have never gotten this itch and if I did and it was a problem in our cove I would be outraged!! That picture was awful and duck itch is unacceptable!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #41
ApS

Unhappy For Cercariae, Life's a [Wind-Driven] Beach...

1) A Canadian site provided this life cycle of the duck-itch "Cercariae":

I looked for cases where seagulls might be part of the life cycle, but found no indication of that. (Only "waterfowl").

2) Less frequently encountered (and just as itchy) are more extensive skin rashes due to blue-green algae.

Examples are seen in the lake towards August. Those float within a few feet of surface waters and appear like fuzzy grains of fine sawdust. When they get concentrated near shore, they can produce rashes just as itchy and far more extensive than duck itch.

3) For either case, my M.D. prescribed "Aristocort" (triamcinolone acetonide), which has served me well for both kinds of rashes. A generous 80g tube lasts me up to three years, and I alternate prescriptions between "ointment" and "cream" types. (The "greasy" ointment holds up better around water).

What seems to help is the CVS zinc-based sunblock I use (UVA/UVB spf-46+). It has, as one ingredient, bees-wax!

4) This is the Cercariae culprit greatly enlarged:

5) The free-swimming Cercariae are attracted to sunlit surface waters, and get concentrated against beaches by the wind.

If the beach you selected for swimming is getting a direct on-shore wind, you'll need to find a different beach.

6) A recently found photo makes it appear that the fascination for study of Lake Winnipesaukee's aquatic life started early for me. Very early :
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #42
jmen24

Sounds like a call to the legislature to create a law banning ducks from the water.....Wait, they were here first, so, make that a law banning US from the water.

What else is unacceptable:

-Getting poison ivy rashes that make that photo look like an acne breakout.
-Having 5,000 black fly's swarm my head as I try to clean up the yard in the spring or tee off at the golf course.
-Being on river for four days and having to swat at a herd of mosquitos while doing anything around camp.
-Having bloodwork taken everytime I go to the doctors to check for a spike in antibodies to see if Lyme has in fact taken hold in my body from the tick that I never saw bite me.
-Having one of my customers high water alarms call me at 1:00 in the morning on a 0 degree January night.
-Having a deer run out in front of my new truck.
-Having someone tell me that I need another law or something needs to be done for me but they have not realy been affected by it, but if it does happen near them, then watch out.

Welcome to Northern New England, this is just a small part of life in this area, some of us have chosen to live our lives in these conditions because there is more to the area than the small list of things that is wrong with it. If it is not to your liking please pay the toll on the way out.

Thank you Newbiesaukee for being the first to mention this, you are not alone in the "that is the way it is" crowd regarding natures wonders.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #43
weim2

Cool

Whoa, somebody has issues.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #44
KonaChick

[QUOTE=weim2;99436]Whoa, somebody has issues

I don't see it as someone having issues at all. Perhaps just a litte sick of "The Sky is Falling" attitude about duck itch is all.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #45
weim2

If I ever got that red itchy stuff on me The Sky Would Be Falling!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #46
KonaChick

If it makes you feel any better, we've never had it to that extent. We've have assorted spots all over perhaps 10-20 (that's what we consider a bad case) and not all clustered together like that, kind of like random mosquito bites. I don't think this picture was from a person on Lake Winni, I think they took it off the internet. I remember seeing that picture when I was researching duck itch.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #47
Argie's Wife

If you don't want that "red itchy stuff" on you then simply stay out of the lake water. Simple solution. Get a pool, maybe?

How's the song go...? "That's just the way it is, bay-bee!"

Acres Per Second - Love the photo! Too cute!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #48
jmen24

Default Thanks KonaChick

You hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #49
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Sounds like a call to the legislature to create a law banning ducks from the water.....Wait, they were here first, so, make that a law banning US from the water.

What else is unacceptable:

-Getting poison ivy rashes that make that photo look like an acne breakout.
-Having 5,000 black fly's swarm my head as I try to clean up the yard in the spring or tee off at the golf course.
-Being on river for four days and having to swat at a herd of mosquitos while doing anything around camp.
-Having bloodwork taken everytime I go to the doctors to check for a spike in antibodies to see if Lyme has in fact taken hold in my body from the tick that I never saw bite me.
-Having one of my customers high water alarms call me at 1:00 in the morning on a 0 degree January night.
-Having a deer run out in front of my new truck.
-Having someone tell me that I need another law or something needs to be done for me but they have not realy been affected by it, but if it does happen near them, then watch out.

Welcome to Northern New England, this is just a small part of life in this area, some of us have chosen to live our lives in these conditions because there is more to the area than the small list of things that is wrong with it. If it is not to your liking please pay the toll on the way out.

Thank you Newbiesaukee for being the first to mention this, you are not alone in the "that is the way it is" crowd regarding natures wonders.
Can we outlaw stupidity while we're at it?
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #50
eillac@dow

This post started with a someone asking a question about Duck Mites, people offering articles, advice or comments about it, and someone else (me) saying, “hey we picked it up this weekend as well”. And now it has turned out as a thread that has received criticism? Why? It was a new topic that was being raised. Guess I thought the forum was to be a place of discussion. Is it not?

“No, the sky is not falling for me”. But was it a pain in the A for me, as yes, I have a 16 year old daughter that moaned and groaned about it. I am sure it was not as bad as she made it out to be…but I hated to listen to it and if I can prevent it for the rest of the season, I will try. It has been years since anyone in my family picked up duck itch and it was nice to see people respond with recommendations on how to treat or prevent.

Will we stop swimming because of it? No… and if the temps stay where they are we will be in the water more and more. But thanks to some forum members who offered advice as to towel off immediately or use sunscreen to help prevent it, perhaps my family will not have another outbreak this summer.

I do realize this is just a small part of life living in Northern New England and I have chosen to live my life here. I won’t be paying any tolls as I won’t be leaving.

I sure hope I just read to much into some of the responses.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #51
Jeanzb1

I'm the one who posted this topic to begin with, and I can say with much certainty that the picture of Duck Itch posted by Rattlesnake Gal is NOT a fake! I have now had Duck Itch for 16 days, and most of the 75+ "spots" are well healed, but there are a few remaining that became inflamed due to non-stop scratching. When you are highly sensitive to it, you look like you have the Chicken Pox and are really miserable.

That having been said, I will continue to swim in Lake Winni all summer long because it's a magnificent area and we cherish every day here. Thanks to this forum, though, I have lots of invaluable information on prevention.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #52
jmen24

eillac,
I should have quoted the person that I was directly responding to, that stated it was an outrage and something MUST be done. I believe the tips that were presented were valid and good things to know. I just have a low tolerance for the "something must be done" crowd with regard to the things nature hands us from her bad side. Because honestly, what can be done about such a thing, other than take the tips that were posted above. I was simply stating that there is a small list of things that are created in nature that cause big headaches for some of us and we do not need to go overboard with our reactions, just take the bad with the good and live happy. Perhaps I need to learn to hold my tongue, but I was not raised to be a mouse. So, if you or anyone else took offense to my response as something other than a "this is what we put up with" statement, I appologize.

jmen24
Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #53
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
eillac,
I should have quoted the person that I was directly responding to, that stated it was an outrage and something MUST be done. I believe the tips that were presented were valid and good things to know. I just have a low tolerance for the "something must be done" crowd with regard to the things nature hands us from her bad side. Because honestly, what can be done about such a thing, other than take the tips that were posted above. I was simply stating that there is a small list of things that are created in nature that cause big headaches for some of us and we do not need to go overboard with our reactions, just take the bad with the good and live happy. Perhaps I need to learn to hold my tongue, but I was not raised to be a mouse. So, if you or anyone else took offense to my response as something other than a "this is what we put up with" statement, I appologize.

jmen24
Same here. I found this topic very informational.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #54
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Next on the agenda

So is it time to start a thread about milfoil ????
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #55
eillac@dow

Default I agree and onto the next.....

Thanks Mee-n-Mac....Yes onto the next....but first....a thank you to Jmen24 for his response. I appreciate it. Just had to get that off my chest.

Let the summer begin...hopefully Will be up there next week....looking for hot, hot, hot temps!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #56
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Picture of Duck Itch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
If it makes you feel any better, we've never had it to that extent. We've have assorted spots all over perhaps 10-20 (that's what we consider a bad case) and not all clustered together like that, kind of like random mosquito bites. I don't think this picture was from a person on Lake Winni, I think they took it off the internet. I remember seeing that picture when I was researching duck itch.
You are correct KonaChick, the photo was from the internet for educational purposes. It is a real photo, not doctored up.

Jeanzb1, sorry you got such a nasty case. Hope you are feeling better.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #57
winnipugs

Default duck itch

this is an annual thing for our daughter who swims every day. the way to prevent it is to towel dry immediately and then go home and shower. this way the parasite doesnt get into the skin. and if you still end up with it , lots of aveeno baths and benadryl. lol
winnipugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #58
wifi

Default What would you do ?

I was looking at posts on Winni.com and heard what sounded like fireworks outside my M'boro* bay window this morning. I see a bunch of ducks being chased by a jetski (or is it a PWC?) and smoke from what ever these fireworks were rising around the JS (or is it a PWC?). I then observed the JS (or is it a PWC?) running over a group of ducks several times and shooting more fireworks off. I did not see any duck bodies floating after this act as this would have driven me further to action.

I then grabbed the phone to call F&G, but then I realized all they would want is my national ID # (aka SSN) to fill out a report and nothing would really be done about it. I thought of grabbing a picture, but I'm not trying to mess up the JSkier (or is it a PWCier?).... is it the ducks fault or that people feed them so they proliferate?

Sort of like why the Lakes Region relative to decades ago is so overpopulated. Do we line up a firing squad to take care of excess people, or do we control the insane subdivisions? I'm really releasing here and trying to let others see the behaviour I saw was. This is not acceptable IMHO, yes, the family of ducks did swim off to other areas. When I was a kid, the lake was crystal clear and swimming and drinking from it was a pleasure and we will never EVER see this again. But really.....

Last edited by wifi; 07-18-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: emphasis needed
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #59
Argie's Wife

Default Call me - I'll fix 'em!

I'm not clear on whether or not you completed your call to F&G but that's what I would have done. You need to talk with the Wildlife Division of the Department. Crap like that ticks me off.... I can't type what I'd like to do to someone like that cuz this is a g-rated forum (most of the time.)

I had to call them a couple of years ago because there was a bear in a tree (doesn't sound like a problem BUT it was right at a school bus stop and there were kids pestering it!). I don't recall them asking me my social security number but that would be the least of my worries - they're not supposed to disclose a complainant's name or info if they're filing a complaint against someone.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #60
wifi

I did not complete the call because of past experiences with them only wanting my ID for their report and no contact after that. Sort of justifying their existance relative to my complaint.

Other reason was my teenager is known by them with his snowmobile and I didn't want an association... LOL Teenagers, what can I say

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, and I'll give the division a call on Monday when I might get someone other than a report taker that might care and do something about it.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #61
ApS

Question A Possible "Crystalline Entity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by travaler18 View Post
"...just wondering about swimming off the boat at the sand bar on paugus bay...we are usually a couple hundred feet from shore on the sand bar...are the mites out that far out from shore..."
In Winnipesaukee's shallower waters, I'd guess that a few could be out there—depending on the winds.

The "mites" (cercaria )are just large enough to see! From my aquarium experience with other tiny critters of about the same size, the cercaria could be visible using a strong light.

Try using a silk cloth as a seine, then release the filtered contents into a clear glass. In the right light—watching the sun refracting through their bodies—you may be able to see them swimming around as tiny "Crystalline Entities".

After local winds have driven them near shore, perhaps ask a town lifeguard about this test at a beach?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #62
LHemy

Default Duck mites/shallow water?

Does anyone think that duck mites are either present or not present in lower vs. higher water.
I've been involved in the discussions about water levels on Winona and Waukewan and one person brought this up.
I've never had a duck mite "bite" or reaction in my life and can't imagine that the lake level has a thing to do with weather or not one can be affected.
LHemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #63
ApS

Talking Maybe I Read It Wrong, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHemy View Post
"...Does anyone think that duck mites are either present or not present in lower vs. higher water...I've never had a duck mite "bite" or reaction in my life and can't imagine that the lake level has a thing to do with whether or not one can be affected..."
IMHO:

You got me thinking this week: I haven't had a bite this season, either—not one. It may be how I "exit" the water.

Every day—sometimes twice a day—I "hike" myself out of the lake at a dock that stands in about 30-inches of Lake Winnipesaukee. In securing the boat for the night, I'm usually already dry by the time I "need-to-dry-off-vigorously-with-a-towel".

Duck-itch critters get congregated in the shallows by winds. In shallows, it may be impossible for swimmers to avoid lakewater that has those critters concentrated right-there. Each swimmer needs to find a way to exit the water that keeps them out of those "shallow-concentrations".

From the deepest water around where you're swimming, I'd "exit' using a boat ladder, breakwater, or a dock—with permission.

With the water collecting at one's lower legs (and ankles), that would explain the majority-presence of bites in that area—as each little critter's "world" evaporates.

That said, I don't understand why Bear Islander thinks the answer is his thread on power-washing!
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10553

If pressure-washed too closely, it's a procedure that is potentially cruel to the animal, makes a fowl mess anyway, and won't solve the Duck-Itch issue for man or beast.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #64
mg2107

I remember when I was a kid not so long ago. The only ducks you saw in the lake were wild ones also few and far between. You know why?
Nobody fed them and they were migratory. Now they are bums that hang around all winter in the open water created by dock bubblers and wait for hand outs. They also breed profusely in the summer raising 2 or 3 broods with little predation. So folks don't complain its our fault.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote