Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
Vwjay

Default 2-Stroke Restrictions

Are there currently any restrictions on 2-stoke powered boats or PWCs on Lake Winnipesaukee? I'm an avid boater in the Long Island NY area and have a planned trip to lake Winnipesaukee this Aug with several other boaters. However currently my only operating boats have 2-stoke outboards. My 3.0L powered Starcraft is being prepped for a re-power and won't be ready for the trip. My concern is many areas are banning 2-stoke water craft on fresh water lakes. And I'd rather not trailer my boat or Jetski all the way to NH to find out I can't use it. Also are there any tourist or traveler use permits required for out of state boaters? Parks passes or ramp use permits that I would need to get on the lake legally? Or just current registration in my home state? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to some lake boating for this summer.
Vwjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
Dave R

There are no 2 stroke restrictions and no special permits needed (unlike Lake George, for instance). You do need a NASBLA boating certificate though. I hope you have a great time and spend lots of money locally.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

There are no 2-stroke restrictions. Some lakes, mostly small ponds have pwc bans but those are only on 2 seaters or less. Winni does have a few small coves with that restriction. A 3 seater is considered a boat in NH so it can be operated anywhere boats are allowed. You can use any public ramp that allow boats without a permit. You do need a boaters certificate if one you hold from another state is not accepted. These can be had at most marinas when you rent there but I'm not sure if you don't. Marine Patrol headquarters for NH is located right on the lake so you could check with them before you arrive.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
Lakeboater

Default Prison property

I believe that the Marine Patrol Headquarters has been temporarily moved to the jail property off of Rte 106 in Laconia. This is just while they construct the new lakefront building.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Vwjay

That's great news. I do hold a NYS boaters Saftey License/permit. Required for PWCs in NYS, suggested but not required for boaters born before 1996. I'll check with the marine patrol if that's acceptable or not. I appreciate the responses. Looking forward to the fresh water lake expierence. Only other lake I boated on was Lake Tahoe.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
AC2717

as long as it is NASBLA approved you are all set
Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwjay View Post
That's great news. I do hold a NYS boaters Saftey License/permit. Required for PWCs in NYS, suggested but not required for boaters born before 1996. I'll check with the marine patrol if that's acceptable or not. I appreciate the responses. Looking forward to the fresh water lake expierence. Only other lake I boated on was Lake Tahoe.
How did you like Lake Tahoe? I love it out there but have only been during the winter...

I imaging Lake Winnipesaukee is much warmer.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Vwjay

It was real nice, beautiful blue water, awesome scenery. Cold though, water was 55-60 degs and that was in July. And because it's so large it had surf at times just like the ocean.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
DesertDweller

Lake Tahoe never gets much above 70 degrees (surface temperature) so I am not surprised to hear your numbers. That is a really deep lake. Pretty sure it's 1500 feet deep in some spots.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
Vwjay

Another quick question. How are the public ramps? Are they well enough maintained and engineered that I could use my 04 Toyota Sienna to launch and recover my boat? Or do I need my full size 4x4 diesel Blazer to get it and out? I'll most likely be bringing my 16' fiberglass boat or 3 seater Seadoo PWC.

On another note, I checked with NYS Parks and it appears my Boaters Saftey certificate is indeed NASBLA approved. One less thing to worry about.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Another quick question. How are the public ramps? Are they well enough maintained and engineered that I could use my 04 Toyota Sienna to launch and recover my boat? Or do I need my full size 4x4 diesel Blazer to get it and out? I'll most likely be bringing my 16' fiberglass boat or 3 seater Seadoo PWC.

On another note, I checked with NYS Parks and it appears my Boaters Saftey certificate is indeed NASBLA approved. One less thing to worry about.
Most ramps on the lake are in decent shape and not overly steep. The Siena should be fine!

Have a great vacation!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #12
Vwjay

Great, thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Don't the Marine Patrol's patrol boats use twin 200-hp two-strokes, so what's the deal with not allowing two-stroke outboards? Winnipesaukee is a big lake, and except for the sunny summer weekends, it is basically empty of hardly any boats for most of the time, on a year-round basis.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Don't the Marine Patrol's patrol boats use twin 200-hp two-strokes, so what's the deal with not allowing two-stroke outboards? Winnipesaukee is a big lake, and except for the sunny summer weekends, it is basically empty of hardly any boats for most of the time, on a year-round basis.
As I am sure you already know, 2-stroke outboards are perfectly legal. The OP is from out of state and was just asking the question, as 2-strokes are actually illegal in some states.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #15
AC2717

Quote:

All set with the license then
also Meredith and center harbor launches would be just fine for the minivan with a 16 or a pwc
Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #16
Vwjay

Ordered a Bizer chart to try to familiarize myself with the area before the trip. I believe I'm staying on Mark Island. Will be nice to know what's around and where the problem areas are beforehand.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
dpg

I'm really not much into boating but haven't they stopped selling two stroke motors? Thought I heard they were phasing out their usage but that would be over a good number of years because so many people owned them or something like that?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I'm really not much into boating but haven't they stopped selling two stroke motors? Thought I heard they were phasing out their usage but that would be over a good number of years because so many people owned them or something like that?
Evinrude Etec outboards are two stroke and widely available. Old fashioned two strokes are hard to find because they produce too many emissions to be legal, but the law only states the allowable emissions, not the required technology to meet the standards. Evinrude figured out how to make them run cleanly despite being two strokes.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Evinrude Etec outboards are two stroke and widely available. Old fashioned two strokes are hard to find because they produce too many emissions to be legal, but the law only states the allowable emissions, not the required technology to meet the standards. Evinrude figured out how to make them run cleanly despite being two strokes.
So there's no restrictions on using a 25 yr old two stroke is there?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
So there's no restrictions on using a 25 yr old two stroke is there?
Nope. That motor is so under-stressed that it will typically last forever too.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #21
loony

don't forget to get familiar with the unique hazard marking system in NH.
basically go north an east of a white with black top and south and west of a white with red top marker. Solid black and red markers indicate a channel so you go between them. A white/black near a white/red is not a channel so you go around both of them. You must also go no wake speed if you're within 150ft of basically anything.
Attached Images

loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #22
fatlazyless

There's a guy in craigslist.nh in Allenstown who sells old Johnson and Evinrude outboards for aprox $250-750, size 2-10-hp., 1955-1974 He has about 30 different motors in stock, and he replaces the needed parts with new parts made by OMC.

His name is either Johnny Johnson, or Dr. Evinrude ...... cannot remember?

Just go to craigslist.nh, boats, and do a search for Allenstown to see photos. For $300, I got a 1967 Johnson 3 1/2-hp 20" shaft for a sailboat, and it beats the pants off a 2015 Honda 3 1/2-hp four stroke. OIl ration is 25:1, and it runs great on blue Wal-Mart 2-stroke Tech oil for $3.94/quart which will easily last all summer.

Old 2-strokes can last forever if they were made by OMC.

Probably, if he sold these in California, he would go to jail ...... but here in New Hampshire, it's a different story ..... Live Free or Die! What the heck.....even the NH Marine Patrol runs with 200-hp two-strokes?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #23
ursa minor

Just for clarity, there's a big difference between older 2 strokes (carbureted or fuel injected) and the newer 2 stroke engines. Mercury uses a low pressure air injection in their Optimax engines (these are what the Marine Patrol runs on several of their patrol boats), Tohatsu has a similar LPDI system for some of their engines. Yamaha had several high pressure direct injected two stroke engines in production a few years ago, not sure if they still manufacture these. Evinrude E-Tec engines are all high pressure direct injected and are EPA 3 star rated for emissions which is equivalent to or better than ratings for 4 stroke engines (depending on size and manufacturer). The "new tech" 2 strokes are typically significantly lighter than the same HP engine in a 4 stroke. Weight can be a big factor especially when trying to repower an older boat so it's good that "new tech" 2 strokes are available.

Any of the newer 2 strokes mentioned above have almost zero smoke / odor, nothing like the old school engines. I had a Mercury 115 "tower of power' back in the day, on a cold start it looked like the boat was on fire!

Last edited by ursa minor; 07-30-2015 at 02:17 PM.
ursa minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #24
SIKSUKR

Even my older(2004) Yamaha pwc had oil injection and never smoked.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #25
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
There are no 2-stroke restrictions. Some lakes, mostly small ponds have pwc bans but those are only on 2 seaters or less. Winni does have a few small coves with that restriction. A 3 seater is considered a boat in NH so it can be operated anywhere boats are allowed. You can use any public ramp that allow boats without a permit. You do need a boaters certificate if one you hold from another state is not accepted. These can be had at most marinas when you rent there but I'm not sure if you don't. Marine Patrol headquarters for NH is located right on the lake so you could check with them before you arrive.
What coves on Lake Winni have a restriction that prohibits 3 seat PWCs? I have never heard of this.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
What coves on Lake Winni have a restriction that prohibits 3 seat PWCs? I have never heard of this.
3 seat PWC's are considered boats. There are restrictions for PWCs with less than 3 seats. Not having a PWC, I can't give you chapter and verse of where the restrictions are.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
You need to reread my post.I said nothing about restrictions on 3 up pwc's.
upthesaukee (07-30-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #28
Vwjay

So here's a question I now have. Since the state of NH considers 3 seat PWCs boats. Can they be lit and operated at night? Or is there still a night time restriction on them?
Old 08-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #29
fatlazyless

That's a great question ...... attach a red/green plus a white light and use your 'pwc/3-seater NH boat' as a boat with navigation lights for boating at night...... seems reasonable?

With the New Hampshire Republicans now in the majority, maybe a donation to the NH Marine Trades Assoc., a boat dealer lobbyist group in Gilford, could make this night navigation item become the law? If they can define a 3-seater pwc to be a boat then ......

Believe a paddle canoe or paddle kayak only needs a single white light which can be a small battery lantern or even a just a candle lantern.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #30
chipj29

Quote:
So here's a question I now have. Since the state of NH considers 3 seat PWCs boats. Can they be lit and operated at night? Or is there still a night time restriction on them?
The answer is no, you can not run them at night.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #31
Woodsy

We should ask the MP...

But I do believe if the proper lights are attached, the PWC can be legally operated at night BECAUSE they are classified as a boat and registered accordingly. I have seen several PWC's with a "light kit" out at night...

Woodsy
Old 08-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #32
Vwjay

I'm not sure I'd actually do the lights. But I'm intrigued enough that I may reach out to the MP just to hear what they have to say.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #33
chipj29

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd actually do the lights. But I'm intrigued enough that I may reach out to the MP just to hear what they have to say.
I just found a thread on this forum that covers this topic.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13943
Old 08-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #34
FWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
The answer is no, you can not run them at night.
Question ? can you absoulty prove that statement ?

FWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #35
fatlazyless

You know the Gilford-Laconia Wal-Mart had a couple sets of these red-green/white battery operated, after-market, l.e.d. boat navigation lights in the marked-down discontinued section of their boating section with the red discount pricing ..... just the other day...... whoa-baby!.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #36
SIKSUKR

Looks like the answer is yes according to the MP.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #37
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWP View Post
Question ? can you absoulty prove that statement ?

Nope, not since I read the link that I posted
Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #38
Vwjay

Returned from my trip. Was a great time. It was a bit of a learning curve with the red/white and black/white buoy systems. And there was a lot well hidden rocks but a good trip none the less. Would definitely comeback again. But next time with a GPS unit and a lake card.