Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
jerseyonbear

Default Who turned the lights out on bear

What a wild night on Bear. I can't remember the power on and off several times even this morning again.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
GTO

Default lights out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyonbear View Post
What a wild night on Bear. I can't remember the power on and off several times even this morning again.
We lost power in Meredith around midnight for about 20 minutes and then a 4am thunderstorm. Someone didn't want me to sleep last night
Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
wifi

At 8:15 this morning, the lights went out all around Moultonboro. Time Warner's head end in Moultonboro is down too, no video, phone or internet service. It's hard to believe they don't have power backup.

It's now 10, and services seem restored

Last edited by wifi; 07-28-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Power/Cable back up
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Everything seems on again in Moultonborough.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
dpg

every time we get there the lights are all flashing. It would drive me crazy to be full time and lose it so often.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Pretty tough on business'........power company has been playing with connectors and the screwed it up.Lady I talked to tried to blame on everyone using their A/C.....yuh,right...at 8 in the morning.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
...power company has been playing with connectors and the screwed it up.
Can you explain this? I've been trying to figure out what's been going on this summer. We've lost power in Meredith probably eight or nine times (including twice today) for 1 to 2 hours each time. Weather was only a factor in a couple of these events. Last summer this didn't happen.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #8
dpg

At least in Mass anyway we've seen the opposite happening. I was just commenting the other day how I haven't even heard any warnings about trying to conserve electricity during peak hours. Why is that, maybe it really hasn't been all that hot or possibly everyone going solar is helping out?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #9
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
At least in Mass anyway we've seen the opposite happening. I was just commenting the other day how I haven't even heard any warnings about trying to conserve electricity during peak hours. Why is that, maybe it really hasn't been all that hot or possibly everyone going solar is helping out?
Winter is the big issue in Mass right now. Not enough natural gas supply to keep gas plants and heating customers satisfied in cold snaps, so they fire up the diesel generators during cold snaps greatly increasing costs. I believe the last coal plant in Mass. is scheduled to be shut down this fall with nothing built to replace it, might get interesting in Mass. unless someone comes to their senses.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Winter is the big issue in Mass right now. Not enough natural gas supply to keep gas plants and heating customers satisfied in cold snaps, so they fire up the diesel generators during cold snaps greatly increasing costs. I believe the last coal plant in Mass. is scheduled to be shut down this fall with nothing built to replace it, might get interesting in Mass. unless someone comes to their senses.
Hmmm seems I always remember hearing the opposite about gas supply?? But I guess I'm really not sure.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
The Real BigGuy

There is abundant natural gas in the US. Unfortunately there aren't enough pipes running from the west (NY state) into New England to move that gas east. The gas companies are trying but there is a lot of push back in New England. CT cities and towns are waging a major battle to keep a pipeline out of their state.

Kinder Morgan just finalized a plan to run a main across Northern MA, up into southern NH, then back down into eastern MA. If it gets built it will solve the problem of getting gas to the electric generating plants. They expect huge opposition from the environmentalists.

Funny how everyone in New England wants cheap reliable electricity like most of the rest of the country but doesn't want the infrastructure (pipe lines or power lines) to get it done. NIMBY once more.
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I think the problem is that the power companies want to install new systems in as cheap a manner as possible, which often means destroying views, landscapes, etc., much of the draw for tourism. The difference between the proposals in Vermont and Northern Pass in NH are perfect examples.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #13
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Hmmm seems I always remember hearing the opposite about gas supply?? But I guess I'm really not sure.
The real big guy nailed it. There is plenty of natural gas in the US, just no way to deliver it to Massachusetts. The pipe lines are buried and once they are in you wouldn't know they were there unless you looked for them. They do require compressor stations but those are few and far between. No matter how it gets done, we need more natural gas in Massachusetts and New England.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
wifi

Has anyone seen a media article of the wide spread power outage in Meredith, Center Harbor, Sandwich, Tuftonboro, Tamworth?

It was a big event to us, but no one seems to want to offer any kind of an explanation. We are supposed to be "members", why is this being kept quiet?

On another tact, bravo to the NHEC, for what looks to be the beginning of high fence around the "Center Harbor" substation. Hopefully they are installing other things to protect the NHEC infrastructure from the bad guys
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
Lakeboater

Default Co-Op

The problem in Meredith is New Hampshire Electrical Co-op. I have dealt with and worked with multiple electric companies and have never seen one worse than New Hampshire Electrical Co-op. They charge you $30 a month just to have service.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
HHopefully they are installing other things to protect the NHEC infrastructure from the bad guys
They probably doing that against their will. Electric utilities are being forced by regulations to protect their infrastructure. IMO, it's a good thing, but they're not doing that just because they want to.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:32 AM   #17
Misty Blue

Default Nheco-op

I think that the CO-OP has a tough gig. With all of the new, big, air conditioned places being built in their area they have to maintain a pretty hefty infrastructure. But many of their customers only use power nine months a year. It has to be costly for them.

I am at work right now and as I write the gas turbine plants are producing 58% of the power being consumed in New England. Since it is Summer and no one is using heat the price of gas is very low and so they can charge way low for their power. Remember, all power plants in New England get paid pretty much the same for the power that they produce. It is run by ISO New England who control what plants run and what we get paid. The cheapest usually get run first until more expensive plants are needed to maintain load.

If you check your NHECO-OP bill you will find that overall we pay about 19 cents per kilowatt hour. The ISO is paying about two to three cents per kilowatt hour to the producers today. That will go up when the air conditioners come on but it is tough to make a buck in the electricity business.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote