Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Bear Islander

Default Life Jackets for Children

Starting today children 12 and under must be wearing a PFD.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Good!! That is a good rule.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
KTO

Wow I didn't even know that was under discussion. I did believe that it was a stupid rule before (what was it 3 or 4 years old?).

Good though, it's safer that way.

Wasn't there a higher age a few years ago (Wasn't it 12 at one point in time in the recent past?)
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
NightWing

Previously 5 years and under (under 6).
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
ApS

Based on what we've seen about being visible "in the water", I'd suggest yellow or orange vests. I watched a mom distribute five little PFDs last weekend when getting on plane: all PFDs were black in color.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Caruso

Default Life Jackets

Bear Islander, where did you see the 12 year old rule is now on the books? I looked on the Marine Patrol and department of Saftey but there was no mention.

Thanks
Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Bear Islander

New Hampshire PFD Requirement

On June 18, 2007 Governor John Lynch signed into law House Bill 519, changing the minimum age for mandatory wear of PFDs. Currently, children 5 years and under are required to wear a Coast Guard approved PFD, this new law would increase the PFD age requirement to children 12 years and under. This new law will go into effect on August 17, 2007. House Bill 519 may be viewed at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...07/hb0519.html
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default It about time

I think this is a great thing. I was a little upset a few years back when I went looking and found that life jackets by law where only required until age 5. At least now I know there won't be any arguments until age 12. Of course as my niece and nephew have found out..... There is the law.... and then there is the Captians rule..... I keep them in jackets until the prove to me they are strong swimmers.....
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
..... There is the law.... and then there is the Captians rule.....
The captain's word is law
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #10
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO
The captain's word is law
Except when his wife is also in the boat!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
winnilaker

Default Alert supporting new bill

One of the reasons the new bill was introduced was from this Boating Safety Alert from National Transportation Safety Board.

http://www.ntsb.gov/alerts/SA_007.pdf

While we didn't quite enact 13, 12 was better than 5. So we have 2 of the 3 recommendations in this report. I wish we could do they the 3rd.
winnilaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Skip

Smile NH is definitely 3 for 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnilaker
...While we didn't quite enact 13, 12 was better than 5. So we have 2 of the 3 recommendations in this report. I wish we could do they the 3rd...
Actually we do meet all three. The report you reference recommends "under the age of 13" and NH law requires all children "12 and under" wear PFDs. While the legalese is slightly different, they both say the same....that all children under thirteen must wear a PFD.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Actually we do meet all three. The report you reference recommends "under the age of 13" and NH law requires all children "12 and under" wear PFDs. While the legalese is slightly different, they both say the same....that all children under thirteen must wear a PFD.
Likewise the "5 years and under" is actually under 6.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Island Life

Do 12 and unders need to have their life jackets on at all times when they are out on the boat or just when the boat is moving? If we're anchored to fish or swim, can they take them off?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #15
Caruso

Was this law based on stats of how many 12 and under kids have drowned in NH in the last X amount of years or is this another law to help me protect my self like the seat belt law, oh yea there isnt one? In my recolection all the people drowning in the last 5 years, in Winni at least, have been over 40. So I ask why is there any age limit for life jackets?

The current seat belt law is 8 and under. My conclusion is there must be less car accidents then boating accidents.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #16
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruso
The current seat belt law is 8 and under. My conclusion is there must be less car accidents then boating accidents.
Wrong. The current law is under 18.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #17
Skip

Exclamation Only when the vessel is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
Do 12 and unders need to have their life jackets on at all times when they are out on the boat or just when the boat is moving? If we're anchored to fish or swim, can they take them off?
Very good question, and the answer is "...only when the vessel is underway..."

However, hopefully everyone will use common sense and still have flotation devices available and worn when the situation dictates, regardless of whether the vessel is underway or not.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #18
winnilaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Actually we do meet all three.
I was actually referring to the 3rd recommendation requiring a boating operator license. We meet the children PFD and the boating safety course requirement but I don't believe NH requires a boating operator license. That's how I read the recommendation, maybe the boating operator license is our certificate.
winnilaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #19
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnilaker
I was actually referring to the 3rd recommendation requiring a boating operator license. We meet the children PFD and the boating safety course requirement but I don't believe NH requires a boating operator license. That's how I read the recommendation, maybe the boating operator license is our certificate.
In New Hampshire, you need a Boating Education Certificate. The term "license" is not used.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
secondcurve

"Was this law based on stats of how many 12 and under kids have drowned in NH in the last X amount of years or is this another law to help me protect my self like the seat belt law, oh yea there isnt one? In my recolection all the people drowning in the last 5 years, in Winni at least, have been over 40. So I ask why is there any age limit for life jackets?"

Caruso: You should ask Boat Guy 64 what he thinks of the law. I'll bet it saved a few lives last week when 4-kids got dumped into rough waters due to a catistrophic failure of a brand new Cobalt. Finally, the law isn't in place to protect you from yourself, it's in place to protect your kids from you.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #21
Phantom

First off -- I am a strong proponent for Life Jackets on children 12 & younger and I'm sure I'll take a lot of "bullets" from the forum for that.

It has always amazed me that NH has had it's mandatory Life Jacket age so low in years past. The rational of the proposed update may be as innocuious as getting the State more in line with the majority of the rest of the States (i.e. seat belt law's). Remember we all say there should be "one" boating licence good for all states? Well then the Laws need to be more uniform.

I also believe many times these (and other) Laws are put in place to protect the ones who travel with an Angel on their shoulder (i.e. the Idiots). Consider a bow rider, 2 or 3 ten year olds -- naturally goofing around -- then you enter the Broads with 3 foot swells and some cross-chop for good measure. I'm personally happy as #ell that I don't have to argue with the kids that "now it's time to put on your jackets" ........ ! We come from Mass -- every child under 12 has always worn a PFD in our boat. And quite frankly, if it's a Toddler -- they get jacketed "on the dock" - I've seen enough adults slip and take a dip getting in or out of a boat - I sure as heck don't want a 5 or 6 yr old down there. Makes for a bad boating day.

I know NH loves to live by the "Live Free or Die" motto -- and I commend that -- but come on -- we're talking common sense here, and child safety. If the parent isn't smart enough to require it -- the State does!! Similar to the requirements before and after getting a drivers license for teenagers (who know and are experts in everything).
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #22
Caruso

Sorry, Night Wing, 18 is correct. (Fat thumbs)
Old 10-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #23
bigpatsfan

Wink

Why only up to 12 years old?? Why not up to 18 years old which is the age of adulthood??? After all, anyone under the age of 18 is not considered an adult so why shouldn’t we protect them against the North Sea like waves of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Lets face it, teenagers and coordination?? Shouldn’t we protect these kids? How can we turn our backs on these young adults?

As I think about this law, what I am thinking is that we should institute a test to determine swimming ability. Given the fact that most of the boats on the lake are small (less than 40 feet) I would guess that being tossed overboard is a very real hazard so if you want to travel on the lake sans a life vest you need to pass a swimming test… you know tread water for 30 minutes.. swim a mile…etc. If you do not pass the swim test, you will be required to wear a life jacket at all times.

Also, we need to protect the elderly, maybe require someone older than XX to wear a life jacket. We need to protect these people as they typically do not want to admit that their physical abilities are not what they used to be.

Hey, I just wanted to have some fun and had extra time to kill..
bigpatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #24
Alton Bay Bob

Default Enough laws

As a Massachusetts resident, I used to love the NH live free or die mentality. (can't buy the motor cycle law different discussion) But I believe the laws regarding people under 12 is a good one. As captain of my little boat I will absolutely make certain that everyone who can not swim wear a life preserver. that would include people between 12- 18 and senior citizens and everyone in between.. I agree that "we" need to protect these people however, The "we" that need to protect people are not the police or the lawmakers of this state.... the "we" are the captains of our little boats who use common sense and intelligence!! I believe it is time to honestly say that it is not the state... but it is "us" who have to take safety to the next level!!!
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #25
SBC

Default PFDs for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
There is the law.... and then there is the Captians rule..... I keep them in jackets until the prove to me they are strong swimmers.....
So long as the Captain obeys the laws. Why stop enforcing it when you feel they are good swimmers? PFDs are analogous to seat belts. Both will save lives but only if you wear them. The use of both doesn't have to stop at the age that the law says. When I see adults wearing their PFDs, I see someone practicing safety and using good common sense.

I believe that this new law puts us back on par with the federal requirements (USCG) for mandatory PFD usage. Less confusion for boaters coming from those states that are already there.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote