Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
GodSmile

Default Windlass advice needed

Just bought a larger boat - moving from a 21.5 cuddy to a 26.5 cruiser. Aside from getting accustomed to docking and maneuvering the larger boat, I wanted to try anchoring. One of the features I liked about the cruiser is that it has windlass (Lewmar v700). We went out to Braun Bay one weekday morning (early but not early enough as it turned out) to try out anchoring. I thought the windlass would make things easier... didn't work out quite that way. The anchor (plow anchor) dropped upside down and so simply dragged. We tried pulling it back up, but it seemed to hang up, particularly when the chain got back to the windlass. Wanted to play some more with it, but the bay started filling up, and I got nervous so we left. Any quick insights into what I may be doing incorrectly?
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
GodSmile

Default oh yes and

We did manage to get the anchor fully back into position on the bow before we left... don't want anyone thinking I was back out on the lake with the anchor half in the water
Old 09-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
Dave R

My Delta plow anchor will also, on occasion, land upside down and not set. It seems to happen about 10% of the time. I am pretty sure it's more likely to happen if the boat is moving when the anchor is dropped and I always try to make sure the boat is stationary before I drop it. It's one of the limitations of that style anchor.

Rocna and Manson anchors have a roll bar that makes them self-right if they land upside down and may be worth looking into if you continuously struggle.

A Hanson anchor:

Make sure you have tons of scope before you try to set the bow anchor. Once it's set, you can reduce scope. I like to get at least 10:1 scope, deploy my stern anchor, then reduce the scope on the bow anchor to tighten up the rode (and increase the scope) on the stern anchor.

If you don't have a swivel between your chain and anchor, you should put one in. It may help with the anchor getting crossed up going into the bow roller. The machined stainless steel ones look nice, but the forged and galvanized ones are probably much stronger (and cheaper).

Machined stainless swivel:

Forged galvanized swivel:
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Rich

Not to say that a plow style anchor isn't OK, but I got tired of dragging mine when trying to anchor in tight places with a lot of boats around, so I switched to a Mantus anchor after someone on this forum mentioned it to me.

It seems to grab faster than my plow ever did.

Of course you still need to use any anchor correctly, but I'm more than happy with the Mantus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (09-04-2015), salty dog (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
depasseg

Can you post a picture of your anchor?

Also, do you have any chain? 10' of some heavy chain really helps set and hold in tight spaces.

This doesn't sound like a windlass problem to me.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
GodSmile

Default Thanks for the responses

thanks for the responses.... couple of quick replies... I do have a chain (approx. ten feet); will post photo as soon as I can; my first assumption is operator error . I had two problems:
1. The anchor landed upside down and therefore wouldn't hold
2. the windlass hung up as the chain began to wind up onto the windlass.
Hope to get to the lake for an early AM ride tomorrow and will take a photo.
Thanks again for the responses.