Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
RUGMAN

Default pontoon boat

I am new to boating and pretty sure We are going to buy a used pontoon boat this fall. Looking at Bennington, Starcraft, South-bay ect. How do you decide. Looking for thoughts and recommendations as to quality of these or others. would love some guidance.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Dave R

Condition is more important on a used boat than brand. I will only buy "cream puff" used boat and highly recommend you do the same. Boats that have been lovingly maintained are a pleasure to own. Boats that have been neglected are a pain to own.

There's no such thing as too much power on a boat. Get the biggest engine you can afford.

I like to have a good canvas package to enclose the cockpit on those days when the weather turns to crap. It can also extend the boating season extensively.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Where are you located? If near Moultonborough, I'd be glad to meet with you, show you ours, and go over what we've figured out in one year of pontoon ownership (too much to list here).

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
RUGMAN (08-28-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
pjard

Ditto offer from me, I'm in Gilford.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
RUGMAN (08-28-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
Dad sold the C * C

Premiere is also a good line and Irwins is now the local dealer for them. Something I didn't realize is that not all Tri-toons are the same; some are the performance types, that turn sharp and bank a bit in the turns. then there are non "performance" Tri-toons, these stay more level during a turn but don't turn as sharp. Both handle chop very well and ar very stable. You will pay more for a "performance" tri toon such as Premire's PTX, in our case we went with a plain tri-toon.

As others have said you can get good deals as Marinas try to sell their rental fleet. Yes I know, do you want something that may have been used hard? Ask, I have seen some that go into service in the middle of summer and are really good deals.

Good luck and have fun looking,
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Greene's Basin Girl

I would try to purchase a tri-toon. They handle the chop great on the windiest of days. We purchased our Harris FloteBoat at Melvin Marina and we love it. We travel all over the lake from our place in Green's Basin every weekend. If you are going to be on Winnipesaukee I would get a boat that is 23 feet or longer.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
noreast

Buying used, the motor will be your biggest expense so have it checked by a pro for sure. as has been said I don't think brand is as important as layout (personnel preference) and condition. Alot of rentals are way under powered. But some are in great condition, I wouldn't rule one out. All brands have entry level and high end, just know which is which. Try to get the most hp the boat can handle or you'll wish you had. Happy shopping. quick edit. one way to tell build quality is underneath, best are built 16" on center cheaper models are 24". and get at least a 25" tube if your buying a boat over 20' long.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
chasedawg

Default used pontoon purchase

Maybe I can help. I researched and test drove the pontoon market for two years. I have a pretty good idea what each pontoon has to offer for quality, performance, ride and resale value. What is also important is to know that the dealer will cover you for any used boat issues. Like others have said on Winni only buy a tritoon. I know of some great deals out there right now that I wish I was in the market. I am very happy what I purchased two years ago.

PM me if you want me to share with you what I learned.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
RUGMAN (08-17-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
Nedlam

Default Pontoon

I have a Regency 25.4 footer and love it.
Nedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Bennington has a 7 year bow to stern warranty........they pay actual shop labor rates to the dealers so they are always happy to do warranty work.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote