Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Donna44

Angry flys(Moultonboro)

Wanted to know if anyone else is a problem with flys in their house.

Don't know were they are coming from. If anyone is having the same problem. what are you doing about it.

thanks Donna
Donna44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Donna, if you just opened your house back up and turned the heat up, you likely just woke them up!

From and online article:

"As the winter nears many insects become scarce. Adult house flies, for example, die off. Thank goodness for that I hear you say. Just remember though, that house fly eggs live on and are to be found in their larval or pupal stage hiding in some dung or in some rubbish somewhere. They may also be laid in warm attics or rafters. Flies are opportunistic and will lay their eggs anywhere that is a food source. For instance, if a mouse of bird has died in your attic, flies will use its rotting corpse as the perfect host for its young.

If the pupae or larvea were outside they would stay dormant through the cold weather. The trouble with lofts though, is that warm air tends to rise and keep them relatively warm. The eggs won't stay dormant for long. The warmth in the loft will result in continuous development until the young flies are finally hatched and, as is their nature, start to rove around looking for food."
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
wifi

Good thing you don't watch "The Haunting"
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

They just had a thing about that on Channel 9 this morning. The lady that is always on there from UNH said those flies are not the regular house flies we have in the summer. She said they are slower and easy to kill. I had some too, so it was nice to hear. I wondered why they acted so "numb".
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
RLW

We have them also and was told that they come in via the firewood that we bring in. They are very slow and one can get them without even trying. SmileyCentral.com
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Real easy....just suck them up in the vacuum.........no squashed bugs, no mess.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Pepper

We've had four or five of them this season, only one at a time. We don't have a woodstove, nor a wood fireplace, so there must be some other way they get into the house. They're very slow and quite easy to remove using Samiam's method!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
blitz

Default !

Hi Donna, We had these flies a few years back for 2 winters in a row in Meredith. Had samples checked out because we had quite a few (mostly dead) by the time we discovered them in the spring. If I remember correctly we were told they were "cluster flies"; they breed outdoors only (phew) in the ground, and only seek the indoors for shelter in the late fall. They like the upper levels/warmer windows of homes. They can be controlled from the outside with repellents and insecticides. However we haven't had the problem since, and I hope the same for you. Good Luck!
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

We have Franconia Flys as we like to call them. The ski house is turned down to 50 during the week and when you walk in everything looks great. Turn the heat up they appear on all the windows. Dozens of them. They are very lethagic and easy to vacuum up but they appear with the heat turned up every weekend.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/r...531_Rep553.pdf

I think this is what we are seeing.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
Pineedles

I think all of you need to contact the author of the Amityville Horror for a possible sequel.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Natt

Lightbulb Fly tape

We get fly tapes from Heath's Hardware and put them up in our cupola. Each week we change it and has it collected a ton (maybe not literally a ton) of flies. A bit on the gross side, but no insecticide in the house. Works great.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Flys Fear me!

Here’s how to effortlessly get rid of your flies and boost your husband’s self esteem! Simply buy him a Zapper!

We had a warm day in late October and about 20 flies appeared from nowhere in the upstairs bath to bask in the sunlight coming through the windows. Tried sucking them up in the vacuum, but they were too fast, and the wife wouldn’t let me squash them on the light colored walls.

As fate would have it, that evening a friend stopped by with a joke gift of a Zapper, a badminton sized racquet with electrical wires instead of strings. You may have seen them on America’s funniest Home Videos, where the idiot faction tries them on their tongues!

As crazy as it sounds, these things work great! You can try swatting them in the air, (not recommended if there are light fixtures in the vicinity!) or wait till they land and place the racquet over them. When they try to fly they hit the grid and get zapped with the electricity.

It got rid of the flies, and all future combatants in short order! Of course, the parallels to the old west gunfighters came to mind, so the wife was treated to my new theme song, set to the tune of “The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance” at the end of each shootin’ match as I emerge victorious blowing the smoke off the end of my Zapper. I especially like the last line of the song, which goes, with all due modesty, “The flies all feared Mr. Prop-B-Gone, He was the greatest of them all!”

It costs $5 at Ocean State Job Lots, and even includes your first set of batteries and that all important holster that can be strapped to your hip! Your husband will thank you!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
Pineedles

Gadgets are OK but if you want to "hunt" them effectively then clap your hands about 6" above where they have landed. It works 90% of the time. I'm serious.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Gadgets are OK but if you want to "hunt" them effectively then clap your hands about 6" above where they have landed. It works 90% of the time. I'm serious.
It does!!! Kind of 'fun', actually
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote