Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
rnlovely

Default Maintenance Facility Options

My husband and I are considering bringing our boat to the lake but beforehand want to know maintenance facility options. The facility capabilities related to our boat are: diesel engine knowledge, electrical/electronic, Awlgrip paint and varnish. I was given Goodhue & Hawkins as a decent facility.

Any input and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RNLOVELY
rnlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
fatlazyless

For about 45 dollars you can enroll yourself at the Huot vocational night school that's attached to Laconia High School, and learn diesel mechanics and epoxy paint application technique, and do-it-yourself. For more advanced training try the Marine Technician, one or two year course, at NH Technical Institute, Laconia, that is well-endowed by Mercury Outboards and MerCruiser engines. And then, on the way back to Wolfeboro, stop at the Wal-Mart for a $2.25 quart of lower unit, gear grease. What the heck, grease is grease, no need for that fancy synthetic stuff.

The Y-Landing Marina, tucked away behind Pine Island, definately sells diesel fuel, as well as premium high-test gasoline, milk, beer, newspapers, bread, and now has a small retail boating store with items like bilge pumps, replacment rubber foot-steps, bowlines, cleats, bow eyes, air horns, etc. And, since they work on the diesel engine of the MV Bear, they have some diesel experience, and are the only factory authorized, Suzuki outboard dealer on the lake. Y-Landing is one of the best outboard repair marinas on the lake for Mercury outboards too, imho.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-13-2008 at 09:20 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
jrc

Not a lot of diesel boats on the lake. I'm sure you can get service, but it will be limited to a few big dealers. If I remember right Goodhue & Hawkins is a recent restart of an old name. You might call Silver Sands and Irwin Marine, they might sell a diesel boat once in a while. Call Fay's Boatyard if you're talking sailboat. Check under Lake Links then boating for contact info.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Resident 2B

Default Fuel?

I am not aware of who sells diesel fuel from a dock on the lake. I know the Mt. Washington uses diesel, but I also see a tanker truck at the dock in the wee hours of the morning giving her a drink or possible filing holding tanks at the Weirs dock.

Please do not take this as a message that there is no diesel fuel on the lake. If there is diesel on the lake, perhaps someone can let you know where they sell it.

In any case, welcome to the site and to the lake. Both are great places.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
jrc

Previous posts seem to indicate that Y-landing has diesel and maybe Fay's
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
secondcurve

Goodhue has decent people running the show and they do good work. However, be prepared to pay one of the highest rates on the lake.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Previous posts seem to indicate that Y-landing has diesel and maybe Fay's
I am pretty sure that Fay's does not do diesel as that is where we gas up. I also think that Silver Sands uses a truck to come in and fuel the few diesel boats that are docked there.

I didn't think that Y-Landing had it either... ???
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Y-Landing has hi-octane premium boat gasoline, and diesel, too. The MV-Bear III fuels up on diesel there at its' Bear dock, plus maybe runs into the little store for a beer, a frozen pizza, & the National Enquirer.....all the necessities!

Diesel is the same dirty, smelly stuff as #2 heating oil, except diesel is dyed blue, and #2 is dyed red just like a fine wine.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-14-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Bear Islander

Y-Landing has diesel but not at the gas pumps. A boat has to pull way into the launch slip to access the diesel hose that comes from an above ground tank on shore.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Grady223

Default MV Bear III

Hey Less,

How about a picture of the MV Bear III!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Y-Landing has diesel but not at the gas pumps. A boat has to pull way into the launch slip to access the diesel hose that comes from an above ground tank on shore.
Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware of that. It does make sense with the MV Bear III in the area.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Bear Islander

There is history to the connection as well. The Y-Landing was where the YMCA Camps, Lawrence and Nokomis, Landed their boat, the Bear.

The Lawrence Mass. YMCA owned the marina until it was sold to the current owners 25 years ago.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Oh - and I always thought it was called the Y-Landing because it was located between the X & Z Landings.

The Y-Landing: I always go there looking for their 93 octane gasoline, so's I can coax the most out of my twin 1982, Evinrude 9.9hp- tiller-handles on the old Alumacraft 14'er. Some smart person needs to invent a 'one for two' tiller handle controller, but until then, I just sit real even and control each tiller with a different hand!!!

Saturday afternoon, and it's time to let it rip & roar all the way down the broads......with the bow pointed towards what I know is Bob's cottage....and the wide-open & empty space between Steamboat Isl & Clay Pt.....it's time to bounce along in my souped-up rowboat.......it's scream & fly time....and planing along at 22mph....tops....from wave crest to wave crest......wow!!!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-15-2008 at 08:26 AM.