Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Captain Zipper

Default How often do you pop the hood?

In light of the boat sinking thread are any of you checking your engine compartment more often?

Since day 1, before I start my engine I always check under the hatch; fluids, belts, etc. Quite often I'll re-check it once the motor is running. (In doing this I once saved myself quite a bit of trouble due to the fact that "my" raw water intake was leaking.)

How often do each of you check under the hatch?

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Once a weekend

I usually Pop the the sundeck at the begining of every weekend..... usually before I put the blower on.... checking for fumes, moisture, etc....and then at some point I usually pop the sundeck after I have the engine running......
Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
sgold44

Default Check daily

I've been boating for 30+ years. When I board my boat for the first time of the day, I always open the engine compartment, check the engine oil level, do a visual on belts, hoses, etc, then start the engine & do another visual w/engine running. Several times over the years I've found leaking hoses, loose belts, etc. It only takes a few minutes, but it can save a whole lot of trouble.
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Winnipesaukee

EVERYTIME YOU START THE ENGINE!!!! PERIOD!

You MUST open the hatch, with the blower running, stick your face as far down as it will go, and SNIFF for gas fumes EVERYTIME. And while you're at it, you should check vital parts of the engine.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Guy

Question,
I have always been concerned with doing anything like raising the hatch before the fan has had time to reduce any potential gas fumes below the LEL. (lower explosion limit) I doubt they make the lift motor explosion proof. Do I have this wrong?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy
Question,
I have always been concerned with doing anything like raising the hatch before the fan has had time to reduce any potential gas fumes below the LEL. (lower explosion limit) I doubt they make the lift motor explosion proof. Do I have this wrong?
You bring a valid point. I myself do not have an automatic Hatch.... therefore I feel quite comfortable manually opening mine. But I know most new boats do... erroring on the side of caution is never a bad thing.

I like to check the engine compartment before hand because I feel that if there is a problem starting I will detect it sooner....
Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy
Question,
I use the same logic, since I have an electric lift for my engine hatch. I imagine the lift, having been installed at the factory, is indeed marine rated, but so is the starter and ignition I'm venting the bilge for... I do put my face right in the output of the blower and take a nice long pull prior to every time I start the engine though. Gas fumes are easy to detect that way. I think may be addicted to bilge fumes now.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
bigpatsfan

I saw the following information on the Powerboat.about.com WEB site.. Also, checking “under the hood” will verify that your bilge pump is actually working… nothing like opening the “hood” to find your starter sitting in water because the float valve in the bilge pump failed..

Powerboat posting”
“Each boating season brings a rash of boat explosions where people are either killed or badly burned. With modern power ventilation, grounding systems and proper safety procedures, these disasters never need to occur.
Fact: Gasoline fumes are heavier than air. As a result the fumes sink downward to the lowest possible point. This is not a problem in the engine compartment of a car, because the bottom is open to the outside and the fumes can escape. In a boat, however, those same fumes sink into the bilge. They will stay there until removed by the ventilation system or explode when exposed to any kind of spark or flame. I have been told that a ¼ cup of gasoline, mixed with the proper amount of air, has the explosive force of a stick of dynamite.”

WEB site:
http://powerboat.about.com/od/safety..._explosion.htm
bigpatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
I use the same logic, since I have an electric lift for my engine hatch. I imagine the lift, having been installed at the factory, is indeed marine rated, but so is the starter and ignition I'm venting the bilge for... I do put my face right in the output of the blower and take a nice long pull prior to every time I start the engine though. Gas fumes are easy to detect that way. I think may be addicted to bilge fumes now.
Dave R,
Thats pretty funny. God forbid if you ever do have a gas fume problem you can stay alert long enough to do something about it. (Just kidding)

Reminds me of a time at work when a coworker asked me if a jug was distilled or tap water in the lab. I took a "nice long pull" so I could detect the chlorine that would be in the tap variety. Turns out it was a jug of Hydrochloric acid and I nearly hit the floor. Lost my sense of smell for about 2 years. The guy who asked me still laughs hysterically when he describes the story.

Be careful what you smell for, you might find it.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Captain Zipper

Default Carbon Monoxide

Fuel isn't your only enemy...........While looking up an article on electric sun pads I found this website..........thought it might be a reminder to folks.......... http://www.carbonmonoxidekills.com/boats.htm

I know that some boats have a hole with a small cover plate mounted on the sun pad/engine hatch. These holes are for stuffing the end of a fire extinguisher into if you have an engine fire. (You never want to lift the hatch if a fire is already going. KA-BOOM!) Perhaps if you have an electric cover you have one of these smaller holes and could whiff thru them.

I agree with the other poster to sniff the blower exit line (but then you run the chance of the blower start up igniting the fumes).

CZ
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
I agree with the other poster to sniff the blower exit line (but then you run the chance of the blower start up igniting the fumes).

CZ
Unless there's a stiff breeze, lifting the engine cover or hatch will not let gas fumes escape. They are heavier than air and need to be pumped out so the blower is a necessity either way. The blower is spark shielded and mounted quite high in the engine compartment, or even outside of it, so it's not likely to cause any combustion, even if it did cause a spark.

Theoretically speaking: Running the blower with the hatch or cover shut is more efficient for getting rid of dangerous concentrations of fumes. Boat ventilation requirments call for a fresh air duct to be plumbed all the way to bottom of the bilge, opposite the blower inlet. This brings turbulent fresh air in to replace the gas fumes, right where they can be dilluted as efficiently as possible. Opening the hatch with the blower running allows air to come in gently from all directions and could, in theory, leave a pocket of gas fumes undisturbed. Running the blower fotr 4 minutes is a great idea, but I'd bet the blower is perfectly effective at preventing bilge gas fumes from being combustible in the first 10 seconds.

Many boats have automatic fire suppression system in the engine compartment. Mine does. That hatch is stying shut until the fire department or insurance company decides to open it, if it ever catches fire...

Last edited by Dave R; 09-15-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Guy

Dave R,
Great post.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
Cal

At the beginning of every boating day
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Cal

At the beginning of every boating day
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
Captain Zipper

Default Misquoted?

Dave R,

I'm still trying to figure out why you quoted what I wrote and then wrote what you did. ????

I always use my blower before starting the motor.

Happy motoring,

CZ
Old 09-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
Dave R,

I'm still trying to figure out why you quoted what I wrote and then wrote what you did. ????

I always use my blower before starting the motor.

Happy motoring,

CZ
Just the part about the blower igniting the fumes. I'll fix it.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
HomeWood

I guess that's an advantage to having an outboard like I do. Inboards and inb/outb are much nice for pleasure boating though, unless your outboard is a 4 stroke. I have two fire extinguishers onboard at all times. Never know when somebody else might need one or both!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote