Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
JasonG

Default What is the least expensive way to live on Lake Winni?

Regardless if it is year round or seasonal, what is the least expensive way to live on Lake Winni?

I am not just talking houses or a duplex. Condo's, townhouses, cottages, joint communities with community beach & dock, etc

I see small shared communities and condos in the early $200k range.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
TheProfessor

Move in with relatives is probably the least expensive way.
You could rent a house.

Not sure the meaning of the question.

If buying a place - then one of the condo - campgrounds.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Red apple

Try south down shores. Yes most on the forum may trash it but 500 plus family's love it. It's close to everything and there are many options in that price range. The condo fees are different in every community so look into that.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Options

Try Misty Harbor in Gilford. Great beach, great location, if it meets your needs.

Or, buy a boat and buy a slip at Mountain View Yacht Club. With condo fees of $1,500 and real estate taxes of about $1,500 you can live on a boat all summer, utilities included, for $3,000. Grab a winter condo rental for $500 per month and you will be living large for short money!

There are condos on the lake available, with a boat slip, from $200,000 and up.

Plenty of choices!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
WeirsBeachBoater

I have a great 2bed 2 bath condo with dock I'll sell ya for $185k
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
jazzman

Best bang/buck are the islands. Rather than have a condo with crowded beach/docks (and condo fees), you can own a private house with 100+ feet of frontage for under $300k. Midweek and all week in May/June/Sept/Oct, I frequently go days without seeing anyone. Sometimes a whole week.

Of course you'll need a boat and a mainland dock. If you're really cheap you get a place on Rattlesnake and use Rattlesnake landing, but you'll have to pull your boat when you leave. Not a huge deal if you get something small and light.

Of course you can't do year round unless you're a very hardy soul and own a hovercraft.

A really nice place sold on Rattlesnake for $229k last year, but deals that nice are few and far between.

There is currently a good sized updated place for sale on Cow for $265k. It is beside a "public" beach and stuck in a dark North facing cove. I assume that's why nobody is biting.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
Bear Islander

There is a Mobile Home park just north of Weirs Beach. You can buy a mobile home there for very little money. Right now there is a two bedroom unit for sale for $9,500.

The homes are not really very mobile they are built in. You own the home but not the land, you rent that from the park for a yearly fee. You have beach access and can get a mooring. Many units have a fantastic view.

I know people that have lived there and love it. I doubt there is a cheaper option to own a place on Winni.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
NH_boater

I agree that the mobile home route is probably the cheapest. There is risk too. The average mobile home is probably 40-50k. If the park or associationn closes (sale, land development, owner dies, etc.) Your investment is probably basically worthless. This happened to my parents in the region. For a bit more, if you are patient, diligent and creative, you maybe able to purchase a property on lakefront where you own the building and acre of land. Then you rent a slip. This would avoid much of the risk and also avoids association fees. By owning the land, your investment is more likely to appreciate.

I recognize these deals are not always available but you can occasionally find a seasonal 2BR house, nice property on lakefront, with a decent view, on a decent lot for little more than many mobile homes. This makes your investment real estate rather than captive dwelling. If you buy the right lot, you may be able to upgrade the building at a later date.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Lakes Region

If you live on the other lakes in the region you will find it far cheaper than living on the big lake. The family was taxed off of The Broads in the 90's. The family had the spot since 1892. The family now has a nice spot on Lake Winnisquam overlooking the biggest part in Laconia.

I have two jetskis on Winnisquam. The family talked replacing them with a pontoon boat. I can walk to Lakeport where the boat is to cruise Winnipesaukee. I love this arrangement as it is not crazy on Winnisquam on weekends.
trfour (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I agree that the mobile home route is probably the cheapest. There is risk too. The average mobile home is probably 40-50k. If the park or associationn closes (sale, land development, owner dies, etc.) Your investment is probably basically worthless. This happened to my parents in the region. For a bit more, if you are patient, diligent and creative, you maybe able to purchase a property on lakefront where you own the building and acre of land. Then you rent a slip. This would avoid much of the risk and also avoids association fees. By owning the land, your investment is more likely to appreciate.

I recognize these deals are not always available but you can occasionally find a seasonal 2BR house, nice property on lakefront, with a decent view, on a decent lot for little more than many mobile homes. This makes your investment real estate rather than captive dwelling. If you buy the right lot, you may be able to upgrade the building at a later date.
I don't think it is accurate to say you can purchase an acre of land on the lake "For a bit more" than the cost of a mobile home. The minimum price for a build-able waterfront lot has got to be around $200K. And the minimum price for lot and home $300k.

The two bedroom mobile home I mentioned is listed here at $9,500. Even with the park fees that is on an entirely different price scale than traditional ownership. The original poster was asking for the "least expensive way to live on Lake Winn". Look at the pictures of the mobile home.

http://www.newenglandmoves.com/prope...-NH-03246.aspx
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
By owning the land, your investment is more likely to appreciate.
I have to disagree with you here. I sold a lakefront property during the recession in the late '90's for $300,000. In 2005, the guy 'flipped' the same property for 1.3mil! In 2007, it was foreclosed and put on auction for $700,000. The bank finally short sale for $400,000 in 2010. The current owner replace the 1800's style Victorian with a huge ugly looking Adirondacks glass house. The property is accessed by the state for $750,000. I was told he wants to put it on the market for 1.5mil. Good luck with that!

I moved on to Winnisquam for $89,000 in 1998. Current appraisal value is $135,000. Not much of an appreciation for lakefront property.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have to disagree with you here. I sold a lakefront property during the recession in the late '90's for $300,000. In 2005, the guy 'flipped' the same property for 1.3mil! In 2007, it was foreclosed and put on auction for $700,000. The bank finally short sale for $400,000 in 2010. The current owner replace the 1800's style Victorian with a huge ugly looking Adirondacks glass house. The property is accessed by the state for $750,000. I was told he wants to put it on the market for 1.5mil. Good luck with that!

I moved on to Winnisquam for $89,000 in 1998. Current appraisal value is $135,000. Not much of an appreciation for lakefront property.
You can live in Winnisquam for 135k?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
DesertDweller

I would agree the absolute cheapest route would be the mobile route.

Based on my personal experiences, I think you get the best overall bang for your buck in a lake access community (big or small). You can get a pretty nice place with lake access for a decent price.

Make sure to look at your total cost of ownership not just the initial cost of the house. Pay attention to the property taxes in the town you are buying in. For example, Laconia's rates are more than double those in Moultonborough. I agree that you can get a pretty deal on a condo but they often come with a pretty hefty monthly condo fee. I looked at some that were $500/month.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
MikeF-NH

If you are just looking for season, campgrounds can be considered. Long Island Campground has seasonal sites and a private beach as well as moorings for boats. West Alton Marina rents slips and I see many many tents that line the docks there. They have a laundry and restroom/shower facilities on site. I don't know the price of either.

If year round is the requirement then probably mobile homes are the way to go. Also consider a place away from the water on the northeast side of the lake (Moultonboro/Tuftonboro) for land that might be cheaper (um...less expensive) and rent a slip at a marina like Melvin Village marina. You wouldn't be technically on the lake but being near the lake with easy lake access is a good compromise.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Seriously
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I am surprised too. I had no idea Winnisquam was that much cheaper.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
feb

Default Doubt it

I don't think you can get onto Winnisquam for below $300k these days. I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule. Maybe one of the trailer parks at the south end. But not waterfront.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Default Winnisquam

I'm talking about beach and mooring access to the lake. Some even have a view to the lake but they are not on the water. A little homework and you should find a just sold year round home an Shore Drive for $169k. A number of units at Wildwood Village sold around 150K or less. All have beach and possible mooring as the mooring field is on lottery. Since the 2007 recession, there were no need for a lottery. This year there is one mooring not taken!
Before 2007, the same units were selling for quarter mill or more.

There was a duplex and a ranch house on the lake sold for $400K last spring. It was an estate sale. The realtor who was suppose to list it bought it and remodeling the duplex and the house. He is hoping to flip them as condexes at 250K a unit. I seriously doubt they will sell over 150K. It does have a nice beach. Because of current laws, he will be lucky to have more than one dock as there are currently no docks. I think there is a 200 ft frontage so they may be 2 possible mooring. The units do have a fantastic sunset view!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
If you are just looking for season, campgrounds can be considered. Long Island Campground has seasonal sites and a private beach as well as moorings for boats. West Alton Marina rents slips and I see many many tents that line the docks there. They have a laundry and restroom/shower facilities on site. I don't know the price of either.

If year round is the requirement then probably mobile homes are the way to go. Also consider a place away from the water on the northeast side of the lake (Moultonboro/Tuftonboro) for land that might be cheaper (um...less expensive) and rent a slip at a marina like Melvin Village marina. You wouldn't be technically on the lake but being near the lake with easy lake access is a good compromise.
Long Island Bridge has a LONG waiting list for seasonal sites. I camped there for a week in July. I asked about the possibility of a seasonal and was told that they are still working on getting people in that signed up in 2007.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #20
feb

Default Wildwood Village

Good recommendation.

My brother had a place in Wildwood Village 2 streets up from the waterfront. It has a very nice beach. In fact, when we bought our lakefront spot years ago we would make the drive over to that beach since the kids were young they enjoyed the beach better than just being on the waterfront.

That's a nice spot with moorings and a ramp if I recall.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feb For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #21
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
... Or, buy a boat and buy a slip ... Grab a winter condo rental ...
If you go this route I'd suggest asking f the marina will receive your mail year-round and you may wish to verify that you can list this as your legal residence.

The 'legal residence' rules are not that onerous. The last time I dealt with the issue 30 years ago, it was a place where you stored some clothes and slept there once a month. Since snow-birds are away 3-6 months I don't think anyone cares about that. If you winter store your boat at the marina I'm sure you'll leave something on board.

...And that's all I think I know about that!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Default Happy skipper

There are a number of cruiser owners at the marina that lives on the boat during the summer and has another boat in FL to live during the winter! Only drawback is FL slips are almost three times more than Winni slips.

I know of one skipper, who would trailer the boat to Portsmouth and cruise down to Key West for the winter. And return every year! Now that is life!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #23
kauriel

There are condos for under 200k but it depends on what you are looking for. Our condo has beach rights and was under $100k but it is quite a walk to the beach. We don't have much of a lake view but other units have more of a view.

Some condo associations that start under 200k:
Village At Winnipesaukee
Evergreens Drive
Marina Bay
Samoset
Stonecrest

Seasonal:
Arcadia Campground

There's also Southdown shores, Balmoral, Suissevale, etc. that might have some affordable homes.

If you want a better sense of what is out there go to realtor.com and check waterfront as your criteria. That will give you mobile homes, land, condos and/or homes. If you sort low-to-high you can see lowest price options.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #24
polarisman14

I think buying a mid-size cabin cruiser and doing a yearly slip would be the easiest way--no taxes, just fees to pull and launch the boat and whatever they charge for shore power if it isn't included in the slip fee. You could get a good sized boat (30'?) from the late 90s like this one:

http://nh.craigslist.org/bod/4612171936.html

...If you had a place on the water you'd likely have a boat too so the fact that you are paying maintenance on the boat is kinda a wash--just more expensive if it's a larger boat than you had planned on with a cabin. Only issue is no opportunity for making money on the deal and no family cabin to pass down through the generations. Those are becoming more and more difficult to come by.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote