Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
WGW Tuftonboro

Default Snowmobile Service?

Where would you recommend having snowmobiles tuned up and serviced (in the Tuftonboro/Wolfeboro area). I am new to sled ownership and am looking to have my Arctic Cat and Ski Doo serviced before the snow flys.
WGW Tuftonboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
RLW

Just an add in as to who I believe new in doing snowmobile service in the Alton area is Gillan's Marine. I noticed a sign hanging there the other day stating that they now service snowmobiles .
WGW Tuftonboro (10-26-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default DaSilva

I took a sled into DaSilva Motorsports and had clutch problems after.
The year before I had the clutch completely rebuilt. After service the primary clutch assembly had a crack in it. Service dept that worked on it said the most likely cause was over tightening after it was cleaned during service.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
WGW Tuftonboro (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Irrigation Guy

A word of advice. Look back at other posts written by someone who's opinion you are considering and use that as a guage for how much credibility you give those opinions.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
Skip (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
A word of advice. Look back at other posts written by someone who's opinion you are considering and use that as a guage for how much credibility you give those opinions.
Well said....you stole my thoughts!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (10-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Well said....you stole my thoughts!
If the two of you are referring to my reply concerning the Ford truck problems you obviously didn’t take the time to read into the thread. I posted nothing but true facts, concerning problems associated with my truck and was backed by others who also felt the same way. It was not until I was called a clown by someone, that I wrote back with my comments which I stand behind. Yes they were childish, but so was posting the PM that I sent.
As with my comment concerning snowmobile service at this dealership my problem did in fact happen. It wasn’t until the dealership in Maine sold my old sled that I was able to get his opinion on how a solid chunk of aluminum could have gotten a crack in it without any marks on it.
If you go back and look at old posts, at one time I had positive comments concerning interaction with this dealership.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

I think the reference is directed at those that seem to complain about anything and everything in virtually every post.
Irrigation Guy (10-27-2011), Skip (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Irrigation Guy

Someone hit the nail on the head. Moving back to the post.

One dealer blaming another is sooo old. Clutch faces do crack on occation. They are subjected to tremendous amount of abuse and heat. The most common reason for cracking is due to exessive heat that often results from towing or running hard with a belt out of deflection(they are supposed to be adjusted as the belt wears). My guess is that Dasilva's is getting the finger pointed at them about a problem they weren't even aware of.

That said, locally Dasilva's has a great reputation and experienced tech's, both which are not all that common these days.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
dan (10-27-2011), Shreddy (10-27-2011), Skip (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Shreddy

Quote:

One dealer blaming another is sooo old. Clutch faces do crack on occation. They are subjected to tremendous amount of abuse and heat. The most common reason for cracking is due to exessive heat that often results from towing or running hard with a belt out of deflection(they are supposed to be adjusted as the belt wears). My guess is that Dasilva's is getting the finger pointed at them about a problem they weren't even aware of.

That said, locally Dasilva's has a great reputation and experienced tech's, both which are not all that common these days.
Although somewhat pricey, I have come to find daSilva as a pretty reputable dealer. Chuck is straight forward and Joe is easily one of the better techs around.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I think the reference is directed at those that seem to complain about anything and everything in virtually every post.
Yes I post negative things but I also try to offer positive feedback on the same subject. You also post negative feedback as well as positive. I try not to post comments where I have no knowledge and always try to build off of my experiences not just hearsay. If it is second hand knowledge then I post it as such. I don’t lower myself to the level on name calling unless starts it.
Realtor & shreddy I know all about clutches and things that can and will go wrong. I never said it was Chucks fault but it is odd that a sled can all of the sudden come out of a shop after service work was done and wind with problems. Not to mention talking with several dealers who all said that usually when the clutch sheave cracks it is almost always human error, but yes it can be mechanical. And before making any conclusions I called and was told yes they do take the clutch apart during a service, clean it, then reassemble it.
While we are on the subject of DaSilva, before this happened I’d sent someone over to Chuck as he was looking to purchase a new sled. He knew what he wanted and had cash to pay for it. Chuck told him straight out he did not want the sled he chose. Now this person is in a wheel chair and wanted a sled that would hold his chair on the back in a custom rack. I recommended a Skidoo Renegade which he researched and agreed would be a good match for him and his requirements for the chair. HE found Chuck to be very disagreeable and left vowing not to consider them for a purchase.
Maybe he will confirm what I've said as he also reads these posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
While we are on the subject of DaSilva, before this happened I’d sent someone over to Chuck as he was looking to purchase a new sled. He knew what he wanted and had cash to pay for it. Chuck told him straight out he did not want the sled he chose. Now this person is in a wheel chair and wanted a sled that would hold his chair on the back in a custom rack. I recommended a Skidoo Renegade which he researched and agreed would be a good match for him and his requirements for the chair. HE found Chuck to be very disagreeable and left vowing not to consider them for a purchase.
Maybe he will confirm what I've said as he also reads these posts.
BR is correct Chuck was not a very friendly salesman, basically telling me to get lost I have phone calls to make and other things to do. I would not recommend them to anyone!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
ITD

I highly recommend Chuck. I've been using him for years and never had a problem. Had him service my snowmobiles a while back, bought a sea doo from him and have had my sea doos serviced by him every fall. He sold a jet ski for me and it was one of the most painless transactions I have ever had. I've always had great service from him and Joe, his service manager.

Chuck is not big on small talk, but has never been discourteous and has always been true to his word.

If you want to hang out and talk for an hour, then Chuck is not for you. If you want great service, I recommend them, DaSylva motors.

BR, sorry for your troubles, but that clutch could have cracked from any number of causes including a bad casting. I probably would have brought it over to Chuck and at least gotten a response from them.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Skip (10-28-2011), VitaBene (10-31-2011), watrskir (10-28-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
hampfarms

If you are just looking for good mechanics call Griffin-Learn Contracting. They are the go to guys for almost anything. Home contracting, boats, snowmobiles, plowing. EXTREMELY RELIABLE and DEPENDABLE...

Give them a call 603 393-5885
hampfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
BR is correct Chuck was not a very friendly salesman, basically telling me to get lost I have phone calls to make and other things to do. I would not recommend them to anyone!
I used to feel the same way, but some days are different than others. He's definitely a businessman, no question. However, he's got a lot of experience and Joe is extremely hands on.

BR, I'm not questioning what did or did not happen with you and daSilva. All I was doing was providing another side (a positive one at that) to support this dealership. Stuff breaks, no need to cry and throw someone under the bus without knowing if you're even correct in your accusations. It was a clutch...it's not like he poured water into your gas.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Well like anything mechanics are a dime a dozen, but good mechanics are typically hard to find. That's the reason why I insist on servicing my own stuff, from the cars, boat, sleds, whatever. If you can't or don't want to do that yourself, I'd defiantly get a recommendation because these are expensive toys and parts aren't cheap either. I would suggest a couple things, find a large, active snowmobile club and drop them a request for a recommendation. You can get a list of clubs by general area on www.nhsa.com. I'd also drop a posting on www.hardcoresledder.com where there are very active forums and is a great resource for anything and everything snowmobiling. Some of the folks on there are more knowledgeable than the guys at the dealers. I believe some may be so obsessed with snowmobiling they probably have a clinical problem but hey I've gotten some very good advice from there in troubleshooting various problems with my two machines. I'm sure you can get some suggestions from folks on there as well.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (11-04-2011), Winnisquamguy (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
. I would suggest a couple things, find a large, active snowmobile club and drop them a request for a recommendation. You can get a list of clubs by general area on www.nhsa.com. I'd also drop a posting on www.hardcoresledder.com where there are very active forums and is a great resource for anything and everything snowmobiling. Some of the folks on there are more knowledgeable than the guys at the dealers. I believe some may be so obsessed with snowmobiling they probably have a clinical problem but hey I've gotten some very good advice from there in troubleshooting various problems with my two machines. I'm sure you can get some suggestions from folks on there as well.
Good advice Max. Some of the respondents to WGW's post include the VP of the NHSA, officers of the Moultonborough Snomo Club, and HCS members.

I would add, check out slednh.com

BTW, my son has that clinical problem- you should have seen my front yard after the storm the other day!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
BTW, my son has that clinical problem- you should have seen my front yard after the storm the other day!
Probably looked just like mine!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
Sunset View

Quote:

I have had my sleds serviced by DaSilva for over 10 years now.......Chuck DaSilva is a top-notch owner operator. He knows sleds/PWC and makes it his business to speak to every customer. Joe the main mechanic is sensational and always ready to help. I wouldn't let anyone near my sleds or PWCs other than DaSilva!!!

If you care about quality and more importantly service after the sale...go see Chuck DaSilva he is outstanding!!!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote