Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
martbri7

Default Big orange DOT trucks on 93 today....

Went from Meredith to Tilton on 93 today, In New Hampton under bridge police car lights on noone pulled over ambulance no lights on top of bridge didn't think much about it.....traveling on...every State police strip they hang out on had a big DOT truck with lights on blocking the strip...thought maybe it was lunch hour, but now on the way back they were still there....came off exit and the New Hampton car still under bridge. Now I'm thinking someone of high importance must be traveling on 93. Big trucks to block access road...police car under bridge for protection of bridge....boy I think I've watched to much CSI.
But as far as $$ seemed like alot of people were getting paid to sit around which I assume we are paying for.

Should have done my homework now it makes sense

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...m0L_story.html

Last edited by martbri7; 10-20-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelling....added article
Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
sluggo

Bidons in town
Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Big orange DOT trucks on 93 today

Biden...why?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Raising $$$ I would say.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Raising $$$ I would say.
I didn't think anyone in NH who was paying attention to what is happening with the economy would give money to Biden at this point in time.

Maybe he was just "hoping" someone would give him some "change".
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
The Following User Says Thank You to TOAD For This Useful Post:
goldengirl (10-20-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
NHBUOY

Mr. Biden was in Plymouth today.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
tummyman

Biden flew into Manchester this morning to deliver Obama's papers for the upcoming NH primary. Joe was the mailman! He was later going to Plymouth for something. Anyway, we saw the same thing...all the way from New Hampton to Manchester. Seemed the NH DOT ran out of trucks, as some crossovers had front end loaders and road graders. Some even had two people in the truck. We left RT 104 heading south around 9:30 this am. At around 11am as we approached Manchester, we saw the motorcade heading north. They closed 93 North to allow him to travel without any cars and they even stopped our traffic southbound while we were in the vicinity of Rt. 101. Assuming he first stopped in Concord to deliver the "mail", he would not have arrived until just after 11. Then do his work in Concord before heading to Plymouth. I would guess some of these trucks were parked with people on board for over 4 hours...doing absolutely nothing. A huge waste of money, but I guess this is what we have to expect with all the terror stuff. Wonder why he didn't take a hop on a helicopter......would have save a huge amount of NH $$$$"s. And then there is the return trip from Plymouth to Manchester. Plus add the costs for SS and airplane from Wash. DC.....no wonder we are in debt !!!! UGH.....
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
martbri7 (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
martbri7

Maybe Washington will pay us back...lol.....now I wonder how much this trip to Plymouth cost the taxpayers....and how come they couldn't contract the trip and have local companies "man" the stations? I do understand that he's a important person figure...but if this is what had to happen for him to show up how do the other States deal with it?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
JPC

Default I 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by martbri7 View Post
I do understand that he's a important person figure...but if this is what had to happen for him to show up how do the other States deal with it?

The same way.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Biden flew into Manchester this morning to deliver Obama's papers for the upcoming NH primary. Joe was the mailman! He was later going to Plymouth for something. Anyway, we saw the same thing...all the way from New Hampton to Manchester. Seemed the NH DOT ran out of trucks, as some crossovers had front end loaders and road graders. Some even had two people in the truck. We left RT 104 heading south around 9:30 this am. At around 11am as we approached Manchester, we saw the motorcade heading north. They closed 93 North to allow him to travel without any cars and they even stopped our traffic southbound while we were in the vicinity of Rt. 101. Assuming he first stopped in Concord to deliver the "mail", he would not have arrived until just after 11. Then do his work in Concord before heading to Plymouth. I would guess some of these trucks were parked with people on board for over 4 hours...doing absolutely nothing. A huge waste of money, but I guess this is what we have to expect with all the terror stuff. Wonder why he didn't take a hop on a helicopter......would have save a huge amount of NH $$$$"s. And then there is the return trip from Plymouth to Manchester. Plus add the costs for SS and airplane from Wash. DC.....no wonder we are in debt !!!! UGH.....
Hi Fedex...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Hi Fedex...
I think that FedEx should join forces with UPS, to form a new company called FedUp, which is what I am with All politicians, irrelevant of their party affiliation or level of government.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
LakeSnake (10-21-2011), Nagigator (10-21-2011), RailroadJoe (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
secondcurve

Joe was the mailman!

A task he probably could handle, assuming some extensive training.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #13
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
He went to the Tilt'n Diner for some apple pie from what I understand. He should did make a mess of traffic!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Rolie

Default Primary time

We in NH have the distinction and the ability to personally meet and chat with our future President because of the structure of the primary elections. Hardly anywhere else in this country is this possible.
I believe that it is quite an honor to meet and greet these Presidential contenders and absolutely worth the inconvenience of a traffic jam and some delays here and there during the process.
Regardless of your proclivity to the left or to the right, I feel that this is an honor and a priviledge that should be embraced by the citizens of NH.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
Onshore

Default Now imagine...

...life with a presidential vacation home in Wolfeboro...
Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
...life with a presidential vacation home in Wolfeboro...
That's on another thread.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
ITD

If there were only some method of transportation, say through the air, that didn't require an airport and could land anywhere, let's say with in a mile or two of where the VP wanted to visit thereby not inconveniencing thousands of people by shutting down interstates...... It's very sad that our government doesn't have that technology or that our leaders are either not bright enough or so narcissistic that they don't use it.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Big Picture...

I don't think anyone from NH should complain about anything that has to do with the politicians from either party that want to come to our state.
Combined, our 1st in the Nation Presidential Primary, is worth hundreds of millions of dollars to our economy.
NH is .4% of the US population, kudos to the folks that got this moneymaking scam started 60 years ago this year!

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar..._tight/?page=2

The clip below is from the above Boston Globe article about the 2008 campaign. Just imagine what it going to bring to the State this election year.

Let them have all the big Orange Trucks they want!

"In New Hampshire, candidates from both parties have spent more than $23 million on TV ads - $12.3 million on WMUR in Manchester and about $10.8 million on Boston stations. Romney, now trying to fend off McCain's resurgence in New Hampshire, accounts for $9 million of the total. He alone among candidates can dip into his personal wealth to keep his campaign afloat and has already spent at least $17 million of his own money, and possibly much more.

Since February, Romney has purchased $3.9 million in ads on WMUR in Manchester, the state's only network affiliate television station, according to running tallies kept by Dante J. Scala, a political science professor at the University of New Hampshire. That accounts for nearly one-third of the $12.3 million purchased by all candidates on WMUR. As of late last week, Romney's campaign had also bought almost $5 million worth of air time on Boston stations, according to a service that tracks ad purchases by all the campaigns, plus a small amount of time on a Portland, Maine, station.

Also on the GOP side, McCain has spent about $3.6 million on New Hampshire ads; former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, about $2.4 million; Texas Representative Ron Paul, $625,000; and Huckabee, $175,000.

Among Democrats, Obama has spent about $4.2 million on Manchester and Boston TV, followed by Clinton, at about $3.5 million; Edwards, about $1.6 million; and Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico, about $700,000.

The American Federation of Teachers has also purchased more than $300,000 in radio air time for New Hampshire ads in support of Clinton, part of a $1 million "independent expenditure" of direct mail and ads on her behalf in Iowa and New Hampshire, according to reports filed with the Federal Election Commission."
Winnigirl (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
If there were only some method of transportation, say through the air, that didn't require an airport and could land anywhere, let's say with in a mile or two of where the VP wanted to visit thereby not inconveniencing thousands of people by shutting down interstates...... It's very sad that our government doesn't have that technology or that our leaders are either not bright enough or so narcissistic that they don't use it.

A good idea, but I think personal jetpacks are still a ways off.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Jonas Pilot

Default Someday soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhF4gu87rn0
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I don't think anyone from NH should complain about anything that has to do with the politicians from either party that want to come to our state.
Agree from the standpoint of the income of the CANDIDATES. Certainly the VP's trip yesterday was not a money maker but an expensive negative cost. Does Nh get reimbursed for that? Don't know that answer.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
A good idea, but I think personal jetpacks are still a ways off.
True, jetpacks aren't the answer, if there were just something else. A machine that could take off vertically, travel large distances through the air and then land practically anywhere. Something that could carry many passengers, be reliable and commercially available since the '50s. If only the government owned thousands of them and made a few available to the president and VP at anytime they needed them, imagine the angst that could be prevented by not inconveniencing the regular folk......
Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Welcome to New Hampshire; Mr Vice President Joe "Bad-Ass" Biden...........you the man......and come on back again and again.......everyone in New Hampshire loves Joe Biden.......and if they don't love him now......then they will starting with the second incredibly successfull term of Obama-Biden, which will run from January 20, 2013 to January 20, 2017.....so's you all need to just get used to it!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #24
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Welcome to New Hampshire; Mr Vice President Joe "Bad-Ass" Biden...........you the man......and come on back again and again.......everyone in New Hampshire loves Joe Biden.......and if they don't love him now......then they will starting with the second incredibly successfull term of Obama-Biden, which will run from January 20, 2013 to January 20, 2017.....so's you all need to just get used to it!
That's a strange view to have based on all the complaining you do about taxes!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #25
RailroadJoe

ITD They call them helicopters.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
ITD They call them helicopters.
Problem is our government is not practical
Old 10-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #27
RailroadJoe

Not practical, heck they aren't even anything I can think of.
Or can't print.
Closed Thread