Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Chilly Day!

Our weather services are reporting 30 degrees at Laconia on June 10th.

(it's really closer to 55)
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
ApS

Default June "10ths" in New Hampshire History...

Today, NOAA radio gave the records for the ranges of all of NH's "June 10ths". The range went all the way from the 90s—down to the 30s (set sometime in the 1970's). The wind at Mt. Washington was only 9-MPH, and the temps there were in the mid-30s.

Until just a minute ago, only one boat had appeared this afternoon: earlier, even in this drizzle, a soloed J-80 sailed by—while lookin' good.

(Example of a J-80 follows):
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Formula

Default 28 degrees?

Is it really 28 degrees right now at the lake??
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Island Girl

Default no

It is in the 50's. On the way here tonight, accuweather said it was 32!!! It is chilly, dark and damp. Tomorrow promises a much better day.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
trfour

Post Ya, Als been layed off...

I'm getting the same readings from Dallas/Fort Worth these days.

June 10th 2010 after 9:00 PM.

BTW, if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Intellicast says:

it is 28 right now. I think perhaps the Laconia temp is putting out erroneous data, although the Weather Channel is showing 56, which is about the same temp that my digital thermometer says at the house.

For all you snowmobilers, I calculate there is about 11 inches of ice on the lake now, with just enough snow to make the ride silky smooth.

Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
old coot
Deceased Member

Default Whacko Temperatures

Earlier tonight, (June 10th) I noticed the Forum temperature for Laconia said 30 degrees. So I clicked on my computer's "dashboard thermometer" which is set for Wolfeboro temperature and it too said 30 degrees.
It seems to me that the Wolfeboro and Laconia sensors and readouts should be independent, but if that's so, I wonder why they've both gone berserk at the same time and to the same extent?
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

All the channels and the radio said that temp this morning. I think it was Kevin Mannix on ch. 6 who said there was something wrong it, mentioning it was automated. All of them said it couldn't be right, which of course it wasn't. I am so glad it wasn't!!!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
VtSteve

Most of the online weather services have become so robotic, I use the look out the window method now. Even the local station which used to be very good, spends far too much time devoloping really neat stuff that doesn't work well. They even managed to screw up the radar maps and make them useless, which has to be hard to do
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
Earlier tonight, (June 10th) I noticed the Forum temperature for Laconia said 30 degrees. So I clicked on my computer's "dashboard thermometer" which is set for Wolfeboro temperature and it too said 30 degrees.
It seems to me that the Wolfeboro and Laconia sensors and readouts should be independent, but if that's so, I wonder why they've both gone berserk at the same time and to the same extent?
There is no Wolfeboro sensor. Many sites will display whatever town you wish, but use the data from the nearest reporting station-- in your case, Laconia.

Some sites such as weather.com feed all the stations in a given area into a database and interpolate it to fill in the gaps. This is how they report temps for places that have no actual reporting station.

It appears someone went over and gave the Laconia station a good whack with a rolled up newspaper this morning. It's functioning normally now.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
This'nThat

No, the temperature did not get down to 30. There's a malfunction somewhere. If you look at the graph for that day, You'll see that it dropped more than 20 degrees in less than 1/2 hour. With no dramatic change in pressure. And no change in wind speed. This simply doesn't happen in the real world.

Also, take a look at Concord for the same day. No dramatic drop. Which re-enforces the malfunctioning weather station readings. You simply can't have 20-degree temperature differences within 30 miles under calm conditions!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
old coot
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
There is no Wolfeboro sensor. Many sites will display whatever town you wish, but use the data from the nearest reporting station-- in your case, Laconia.

Some sites such as weather.com feed all the stations in a given area into a database and interpolate it to fill in the gaps. This is how they report temps for places that have no actual reporting station.

It appears someone went over and gave the Laconia station a good whack with a rolled up newspaper this morning. It's functioning normally now.
Thanks Scott for both your explanation and the vocabulary lesson (interpolate).
Now, however, I've become disillusioned about the faux temperature readings. Seems as if in this era of rapid communication we should be able to view the actual temperature at a given location, not some estimate of what it might be based on someone's mathematical formula.
oc
NOTE TO MODERATOR/WEBMASTER:
I'VE SUBMITTED THIS EDITED POST IN ORDER TO CORRECT A SPACING ERROR IN MY FIRST POST. THANK YOU.
oc
Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
old coot
Deceased Member

Default There goes another Theory

This morning, while most are sleeping, the Laconia temp on this Forum says 34 degrees but according to my computer's dashboard we're warmer here in Wolfeboro at 36 degrees. Someone must have take the two readings out of "lock step" to make me happy! (Hey, it's a theory.)
The thermometer outside my home in Wolfeboro reads 58 degrees.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
old coot
Deceased Member

Tonight, June 14th, WBZ-TV's temperature map showed the Laconia temperature as being 32 degrees, the same as was indicated on this Forum tonight. I think that there are more thermometers in our local hardware store than anywhere else in New England.
oc
Old 06-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
Tonight, June 14th, WBZ-TV's temperature map showed the Laconia temperature as being 32 degrees, the same as was indicated on this Forum tonight. I think that there are more thermometers in our local hardware store than anywhere else in New England.
oc
I know it is automated, but it is surprising to me that they would actually report that. You would think the weather guy/girl would know by looking at other reporting weather stations in the area that this is faulty data.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I know it is automated, but it is surprising to me that they would actually report that. You would think the weather guy/girl would know by looking at other reporting weather stations in the area that this is faulty data.
I think they're all computers at this point A lot of data, including radar, used to be more dependable for boating and planning. It seems they even have models masquerading as radar nowadays. I was getting poured on a couple of Saturdays ago, and the "doppler" didn't even have a green spec on the display.

Some weather sites show a fantastic Friday coming up. But that's somewhat changing. Accuweather ans INtellicast have made a mistake. On one site, they show my forecast for the weekend, which differs in temperature and sun/cloud ratio from the people forecast and picture below.

I still try to predict my own weather now. If it's going to be miserable in Ohio and the GL, I add a day or two, and imagine that to be my weather. I just wish they could have left well enough alone and kept things like they were 3-4 years ago.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #17
trfour

Post Absolutely!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I think they're all computers at this point A lot of data, including radar, used to be more dependable for boating and planning. It seems they even have models masquerading as radar nowadays. I was getting poured on a couple of Saturdays ago, and the "doppler" didn't even have a green spec on the display.

Some weather sites show a fantastic Friday coming up. But that's somewhat changing. Accuweather ans INtellicast have made a mistake. On one site, they show my forecast for the weekend, which differs in temperature and sun/cloud ratio from the people forecast and picture below.

I still try to predict my own weather now. If it's going to be miserable in Ohio and the GL, I add a day or two, and imagine that to be my weather. I just wish they could have left well enough alone and kept things like they were 3-4 years ago.

Just try to keep in mind, Mother Nature taught us all very well here to keep an eye on the sky and pay attention to her art [ works for me ]. Since Van Gogh and others have gone, She has continued to paint a very clear picture!
For instance, and from a recent full timer/year rounder, a look out of your window during winter would give you an instant review of her art works in frost, hopefully on the outside of your viewing window.

Reminds me of an old hit tune, 'Baby Its Cold Outside'!

Here, let me double check...................
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #18
bigdog

Default Chilly Day!

Tired of the false and bad weather predictions by weathermen, and websites like AccuWeather !

I have my own fail-proof weather instrument, my 'weather rock' !
Hangs from a tree outside my window.

If the rock is 'white' it's snowing !
If the rock is wet, it's raining !
If the rock is swinging.... You guessed, 'it's windy' !

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Tired of the false and bad weather predictions by weathermen, and websites like AccuWeather !

I have my own fail-proof weather instrument, my 'weather rock' !
Hangs from a tree outside my window.

If the rock is 'white' it's snowing !
If the rock is wet, it's raining !
If the rock is swinging.... You guessed, 'it's windy' !

BD
Cool, where'd you get it???
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote