Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
winterh

Default Lake/ocean-what to buy

I have been enjoying the lake for over 10 years with my Searay240 SD. It was the perfect boat for my situation. Tubing with the kids, trips with the family for ice cream.... Work issues are forcing me south and I will be moving to the seacoast. Any suggestions on what would be a good boat that I could use on the ocean yet still be towed to the lake when needed. I have never had my own boat on the ocean before and am unsure what I should be looking for.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Dave R

An outboard powered dual console boat would be ideal. Something like an Edgewater 245CX.

There's tons of other brands like it too. Salty, fishy, and family friendly. The self bailing cockpit, high freeboard and Carolina flare make it better suited for ocean use than your Sea Ray.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
secondcurve

Dave:

Do you think a 250 is the right motor for the boat you posted or ideally would it be a little bigger?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
winterh

What is a Carolina flare?
Are outboards preferable and what are the pros and cons of those?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
NoRegrets

The Carolina Flare is the large lip on the bow that pushes the water away from the boat when you hit the waves. It redirects the splash reducing how wet you get. The large sport fishing boats made out of Hateras NC all have this style. Some are more pronounced than others....

I have a few friends that have the SerRay 240 Sundeck on the cape and they enjoy them with no problem. The Sundeck is fairly heavy so it does handle well. However the self bailing cockpit and Carolina flare sure are sweet!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
NoRegrets

Outboards can be trimmed to be out of the water when not in use. Inboard outdrives stay in the water if you leave in in all the time. Elecrolitic corrosion will eat the metal once the sacrificial zincs disolve.
I do not think there is a big difference if you trailer but if you plan to leave it in the water I would lean towards outboards.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
jrc

Depends on the situation. If you are trailering, I would keep the Sd240 for at least the first season. Then you can decide if you need something a little saltier. A lot depends on where and when you go out. If you stay in protected waters and avoid the worst weather, you can still keep your boat.

If you are going to leave your boat in the salt water, I would get something without outdrives. Your boat probably has a Mercury Bravo 3, they have huge corrosion issues. I would not keep that in a slip, but if you do make sure you have the right anodes and a working Mercathode device.

Finally if you want to have less worry about wind and water, get something self bailing. Most Searays and similar family bowriders boats are not self bailing. Water that comes in from waves and chop can not easily and quickly leave the boat. The water needs to be pumped out by the bilge pump, this is too slow and dangerous in really rough water. A boat aimed at fishing will have a deck above the water line and scuppers to allow water to self drain. Much safer in rough water.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
winterh

Getting lots of good info on both here and private messages. Thanks to all. If my Searay was newer I would keep it for a while but it is 12 years old now and I was thinking new boat even before the move. Anyone interested in a 2000 Searay 240 sundeck? CHEAP!
I like the look of the boat above. What are some of the better brands. I know about Grady Whites and Whalers, anything else?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Dave R

Scout, Robalo, Century, Key West, Polar, Sea Hunt, Hydra Sports, Sea Swirl, Pursuit, Cobia, Pro-Line, Trophy, and Sea Pro. That ought to get you started. Most are better built than a bowrider, but priced higher too.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Dave:

Do you think a 250 is the right motor for the boat you posted or ideally would it be a little bigger?
It's nicely powered with a 250. That engine weighs considerably less than an I/O and it's weight is placed better. Performance should be on par with the same size boat fitted with a 300+ HP I/O; maybe better, except for top speed. OBs are pretty snappy out of the hole. Fuel consumption will be lower with the OB and it will have a MUCH bigger fuel tank than you'd get with a 24 foot I/O bowrider, so range will be substantial. For typical day use, 1/2 to 1/3 of a tank would leave plenty in reserve. That said, that thing would be a rocket with a 300 ETEC...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-24-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
An outboard powered dual console boat would be ideal. Something like an Edgewater 245CX.
That is one sweet boat.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Fargo

Default Ocean boat

We had boats on the ocean for 20 years and are now back at Winni. I'd never get a bow rider for the ocean and depend on a piece of canvas over the bow to keep from sinking. Every time we went for a boat ride we were gone for 8 hours or more. You'll want to be comfortable, out of the wind, spray and sun. Easy access to the bow, a great windshield and lots of canvas. I'd look at 25 ft Grady Whites. Get Sea Tow, remember that everything that floats eventually gets to the ocean, you'll hit some of it.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
That is one sweet boat.
Agreed, I like the lines on that one the best out of all the DC boats I've ever seen.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
fresh h2o

Default Where on the coast are you headed?

Where are you headed? That would have some bearing on what you should have. I know the Freedom Boat Clubs have all different types of boats at their clubs. That might be the way to go until you decide what would be best for your new area.
fresh h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Grady White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
We had boats on the ocean for 20 years and are now back at Winni. I'd never get a bow rider for the ocean and depend on a piece of canvas over the bow to keep from sinking. Every time we went for a boat ride we were gone for 8 hours or more. You'll want to be comfortable, out of the wind, spray and sun. Easy access to the bow, a great windshield and lots of canvas. I'd look at 25 ft Grady Whites. Get Sea Tow, remember that everything that floats eventually gets to the ocean, you'll hit some of it.
I love Grady Whites- especilly with twin OBs. I just saw one coming into Miami- Biscayne Bay coming out of 6-8 footers, trimmed and running the seas well.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
trfour

Post Best Of Both Worlds

Grady White would be my choice as well. Many different styles to choose from.
If you should want to fish for blue fin tuna out in the Atlantic, they are very attracted to a Grady White. And oh yes, I have pictures!

Now, not to say that Lake Winnipesaukee can't get pretty snarly and bumpy too. I've been out there when you couldn't see land over the tops of her waves... And let me say that I am trying to stay on topic, over here.

A couple models for you to look at; http://www.google.com/search?q=grady...w=1920&bih=985

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote