Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Lakegeezer

Thumbs up Lake Riding

We had freezing rain last night. By 11PM, it was hard to walk on any cleared surface. The snow piles just sucked it up. Overnight, there was a dusting of grapple like snow, which fused with the ice sheet and make walking pretty good. Today, it has been spitting snow since morning, but only produced a very light dusting. The trails could really use the snow. Lake riding has been pretty good.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
nightrider

Default Lake Riding

I agree that lake riding has been good. Rode up to Greens Basin from Winter Harbor Monday. Made it to Murphy's for fuel. The trails were passable but thin from the lake to Murphy's.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
SAB1

Would be nice to know how the trails are. Last Sunday we took off from 20 Mile bay up thru Melvin and up into the woods to Shaw Mnt. The trails after we got across Rt171 were really pretty good. The higher we went the better. We then road over to Ossipee to that Smoke House/Barbeque place on the corner of Rt25. Wasn't bad at all. Couple places dirt was showing but overall better than expected. Hoping to ride again Saturday but not sure the drive up for Mass will be worth it. I am new to this thing. My impression first off is the that the clubs dont really update their trail conditions that often.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Would be nice to know how the trails are. Last Sunday we took off from 20 Mile bay up thru Melvin and up into the woods to Shaw Mnt. The trails after we got across Rt171 were really pretty good. The higher we went the better. We then road over to Ossipee to that Smoke House/Barbeque place on the corner of Rt25. Wasn't bad at all. Couple places dirt was showing but overall better than expected. Hoping to ride again Saturday but not sure the drive up for Mass will be worth it. I am new to this thing. My impression first off is the that the clubs dont really update their trail conditions that often.
I'm new to this also but have found when they do update the conditions the report can be very misleading....i.e. the trails are poor instead of the reported 'good'.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
nightrider

Default Lake riding

Even if the trails are not that good, riding the lake is great right now. I went and swung out into the Broads on the way back from Murphy's and it was smooth as silk. No whoops at all. Stayed on the east side of the Broads away from the areas reported to have open water recently. I was on my 500 XCSP and was going with the wind (gusting to 30 MPH) at 90 or so and hit a short stretch of bare ice and junped up to a hundred. I didn't think the 500 would go that fast. Shows what wind resisitance accounts for when going fast. Got right back on the snow and cooled those sliders. Did not see any pressure ridges out there. That was only from the distance from the exit from Moultonboro Bay to Winter Harbor. Have fun and drive safely.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
I'm on the BOD of a local club and my long lasting impression is there are very few people who are willing to lift a finger to help out these all volunteer run organizations called snowmobile clubs and many have no idea how much work it really is for the same 10 people. Maybe you could volunteer to be run PR for a club, it could be done from anywhere. My club could sure use a person in this position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I'm new to this also but have found when they do update the conditions the report can be very misleading....i.e. the trails are poor instead of the reported 'good'.
Would you care to speculate why a club would want to do that?

I can tell you there is nothing to gain from a clubs standpoint except disappointed people.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-21-2013), chipj29 (02-21-2013), Lakegeezer (02-20-2013), secondcurve (02-20-2013), surfnsnow (02-21-2013), trfour (02-21-2013), Winnisquamguy (02-21-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post

Would you care to speculate why a club would want to do that?

I can tell you there is nothing to gain from a clubs standpoint except disappointed people.
That's a good question, one that I cannot answer. Just stating my observation, no need to blow it out of proportion.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
That's a good question, one that I cannot answer. Just stating my observation, no need to blow it out of proportion.
Just a simple question.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default My thoughts

I am avid snowmobiler who owns property in another state that just happens to be the state I ride in. I used to be part of that small percentage that helped with trail work. Same same small percentage consisted of about 70% none residents.
My thoughts are if you want to get help especially from none residents then eliminate the huge gap between registrations rates. After all if a person owns property here then technically they are contributing money to the state, yet putting almost no burden on the system.
I feel if none residents are going to be expected to pay more then they should not be expected to drive, sometimes hours to be involved.
I used to be one of those who drive the 4.5 hours to Maine, at a cost of more then $100 round trip. For years I did this, until the last fee increase which went up $20 for none resident and $5.00 for residents, I never realized just how much of a difference there was in the registrations.
So now I'm one of those who pays there $89.00 along with all my taxes, the same taxes that residents pay while only paying $40.00 to ride those same trails that I do.
Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly pay the $100 a year for the trails we ride, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that much while residents who ride the same trails pay less then half of what I pay while doing nothing to help out.
And yes you can go through and explain how all the money comes from nothing but snowmobile fee's and that being a resident and paying taxes how none of our tax money goes to the trails. Bottom line is if you want to get none resident help then charge them the same rates as residents. This whole pay more if you are a none resident thing just isn't working.
This is a very sore topic for me, because that whole system is terribly flawed in all of our states when it comes to snowmobiling. Just curious, why isn't it like this for boats?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I am avid snowmobiler who owns property in another state that just happens to be the state I ride in. I used to be part of that small percentage that helped with trail work. Same same small percentage consisted of about 70% none residents.
My thoughts are if you want to get help especially from none residents then eliminate the huge gap between registrations rates. After all if a person owns property here then technically they are contributing money to the state, yet putting almost no burden on the system.
I feel if none residents are going to be expected to pay more then they should not be expected to drive, sometimes hours to be involved.
I used to be one of those who drive the 4.5 hours to Maine, at a cost of more then $100 round trip. For years I did this, until the last fee increase which went up $20 for none resident and $5.00 for residents, I never realized just how much of a difference there was in the registrations.
So now I'm one of those who pays there $89.00 along with all my taxes, the same taxes that residents pay while only paying $40.00 to ride those same trails that I do.
Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly pay the $100 a year for the trails we ride, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that much while residents who ride the same trails pay less then half of what I pay while doing nothing to help out.
And yes you can go through and explain how all the money comes from nothing but snowmobile fee's and that being a resident and paying taxes how none of our tax money goes to the trails. Bottom line is if you want to get none resident help then charge them the same rates as residents. This whole pay more if you are a none resident thing just isn't working.
This is a very sore topic for me, because that whole system is terribly flawed in all of our states when it comes to snowmobiling. Just curious, why isn't it like this for boats?
First off, you can't really blame the clubs for the fees that the state charges, and the system that the state implemented for the fees.

Regarding the bolded, bodies of water on which you boat are not maintained by local clubs. The water is more or less self-maintained. You don't have to cut trees every year, create new trails when landowners close their trails, etc etc.

You cannot compare boating to snowmobiling. Completely different concepts.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Cobalt

I believe BR is not blaming the snowmobile clubs for the difference in registration fees, but drawing attention to the inequities in fees for Residents, and Non Residents who own property and pay taxes who are classified with Non Residents who are visitors.

I understand these policies are established by elected officials at the State level. Since Non Residents cannot vote in state elections, it is an easier call for legislators to increase their fees.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
SAB1

I do intend to get involved. I no problem helping out with trail work. Thats another opportunity to get in the woods! I am new to this all so I dont know when they do trail work but I will find out.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
SAB1

See the larger issue for me as a newbie here is that the trail conditions are not updated often by clubs. For example Moultonboro Club last updated 2/15. So for an out of state'r how is one to make plans for tomorrows hike up there without updates? Alot of guys in independant threads have commented the trails are poor. I didnt find that last weekend when I rode from 20mi.bay up Mt Shaw and then over to Ossippee. There were a couple thin spots going to Ossipee but they werent that bad. Maybe being new I have nothing to compare it to. Again, Wolfeboro Club site kists there trails as "rolled". What the heck does that mean? It has said that for a week. The only club I see good out of is out of Wakefield, Seven Lakes Club. THey seem to update conditions frequently.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default Exactly what I ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I believe BR is not blaming the snowmobile clubs for the difference in registration fees, but drawing attention to the inequities in fees for Residents, and Non Residents who own property and pay taxes who are classified with Non Residents who are visitors.

I understand these policies are established by elected officials at the State level. Since Non Residents cannot vote in state elections, it is an easier call for legislators to increase their fees.
Until something is changed the clubs will continue to suffer.
I personally have done every job except drive a groomer. That all came to a head when I started adding up my cost and took a good look at just who the volunteers were and where they were from. In my case and in the case of many of the surrounding snowmobile clubs it seemed to always be the none residents who showed up and took an interest.
Now I pay my registration fee and I ride.
All of these state officials, many of which probably don't know a snowmobile from a snow blower need to get with the program before it is to late. Registration rates should be the same for everyone regardless of what state your from. Every single one of us rides the same trails why should one pay more then the other. It just so happens that the state, Maine, that I ride in happens to be the worst. Then if you make everyone pay the same you have a reason to expect help from none residents and would probably get more willing volunteers.
OK I'm done now.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
RailroadJoe

Why is it when I register my car or motorcycle, I can drive in any state. But if you register a boat or snowmobile you have to most likely register in any other state you wish to ride. Does not seem fair to me.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
HellRaZoR004

I agree with BR.

On the same note, wouldn't you want to give out of state residents the same treatment so they come to the state and spend money on other things like lodging and food?
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Until something is changed the clubs will continue to suffer.
I personally have done every job except drive a groomer. That all came to a head when I started adding up my cost and took a good look at just who the volunteers were and where they were from. In my case and in the case of many of the surrounding snowmobile clubs it seemed to always be the none residents who showed up and took an interest.
Now I pay my registration fee and I ride.
All of these state officials, many of which probably don't know a snowmobile from a snow blower need to get with the program before it is to late. Registration rates should be the same for everyone regardless of what state your from. Every single one of us rides the same trails why should one pay more then the other. It just so happens that the state, Maine, that I ride in happens to be the worst. Then if you make everyone pay the same you have a reason to expect help from none residents and would probably get more willing volunteers.
OK I'm done now.
You of all people should not be bitching about the prices on a normal year you ride 5000 x 2 sleds = 10,000 miles on Maine trails for $180 bucks seems pretty cheap to me.Whats that's a mile? You say the trials are unbelievable to ride on so they must be taken care of very well.I know you and I have gone back and forth with this many times and with the amount of miles and land you use off trial riding you are getting your monies worth. Try looking at it that way. VT is only $32.00 for non resident $25.00 for resident or you could head over to NY were its a $100 non and $35.00 for resident.

Hunters have to pay a non resident fees to hunt in NH, ME, or MA . If you want a Maine moose permit and you are a non resident you pay $ 585.00 compared to a resident of $52.00 are they getting ripped off too?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
You of all people should not be bitching about the prices on a normal year you ride 5000 x 2 sleds = 10,000 miles on Maine trails for $180 bucks seems pretty cheap to me.Whats that's a mile? You say the trials are unbelievable to ride on so they must be taken care of very well.I know you and I have gone back and forth with this many times and with the amount of miles and land you use off trial riding you are getting your monies worth. Try looking at it that way. VT is only $32.00 for non resident $25.00 for resident or you could head over to NY were its a $100 non and $35.00 for resident.

Hunters have to pay a non resident fees to hunt in NH, ME, or MA . If you want a Maine moose permit and you are a non resident you pay $ 585.00 compared to a resident of $52.00 are they getting ripped off too?
Every time this comes up you say the same thing over and over and over then when I explain it to you in person you finally get the point I'm trying to make.
Mike it isn't and never has been about the cost it is about the principle and the fact clubs are loosing out because of it. If you took the time to READ my post instead of breezing over it you would have read just that.
Yes same thing for hunting and fishing which is consistently loosing out as well as more and more choose not to pay the higher fee's.
I'll pay $100 to ride the trails, but so should residents. OR and here is where it gets tricky, don't charge me double and ask me to help out, it isn't right and it isn't fair, regardless of how many miles we ride in a given season.
Obviously I am not the only one who feels this way either.

Now back to the storm,12+ for Sunday and it looks like another one coming for Wednesday-Thursday that was supposed to be rain, now could be all snow.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Why is it when I register my car or motorcycle, I can drive in any state. But if you register a boat or snowmobile you have to most likely register in any other state you wish to ride. Does not seem fair to me.
Ever since New Hampshire did away with the small steel motorboat plates that were similar to a small car license plate in about 1988, NH entered into the nationwide federal reciprocity agreement so boaters from Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Quibec, and all other states and provinces can go boating in NH for the first 30-days without reregistering, or something like this!

With the old small steel plates, someone from Massachusetts needed to have a NH plate, but this is no longer the case as of about 1988. Something to do with receiving federal money and 50-state motorboat reciprocity. Just like prior to 1986, trucks needed a seperate registration sticker for each of the 50-states along with multiple drivers licenses, and now they just need the one home state plate, and only one drivers license.

So, now that you know this, you can go trailer your Lake Winnipesaukee NH boat, about two hours time, down to the free-to-use Magazine Beach boat launch in Cambridge on the Charles River and boat out to Boston Harbor via the free-to-use, Charles River boat lock system for some salt water fishing!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
Winnisquamguy

Talking

Quote:
Every time this comes up you say the same thing over and over and over then when I explain it to you in person you finally get the point I'm trying to make.
Mike it isn't and never has been about the cost it is about the principle and the fact clubs are loosing out because of it. If you took the time to READ my post instead of breezing over it you would have read just that.
Yes same thing for hunting and fishing which is consistently loosing out as well as more and more choose not to pay the higher fee's.
I'll pay $100 to ride the trails, but so should residents. OR and here is where it gets tricky, don't charge me double and ask me to help out, it isn't right and it isn't fair, regardless of how many miles we ride in a given season.
Obviously I am not the only one who feels this way either.

Now back to the storm,12+ for Sunday and it looks like another one coming for Wednesday-Thursday that was supposed to be rain, now could be all snow.
So you're a non resident and put on 5000 miles but the resident who rides a few local club trails rides 500 miles . You still think the resident should be out there before you. What your not understanding is you ride the trails the most you should be the first guy in line to help out not the guy who rides 500 miles. If the trails got shut down because there was no help who would hurt more the guy who rides 5000 miles or the guy who rides 500. Resident or non resident its the guy who rides 5000. It comes down to you use them more so you should help out. When the state says we have to close this whole part of the state because we just cannot get the help, what are you going to do? Move to another part of the state?

Look nobody wants to do it but it needs to be done to ride the nice trails you ride. What about you getting something off on registration? Say you do 10 hrs of trail work you get resident price or if a resident does the same he get $20.00 off. Nobody wants to do a thankless job anymore than the next guy. But come on, you ride a lot of the same trails with your ATV's as well and not to work on any of them doesn't seem right.Why do you think The Forks owns 4 groomers? So they get people to their place to ride their trail system. You have to put the work in to have what you do.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Just like prior to 1986, trucks needed a seperate registration sticker for each of the 50-states along with multiple drivers licenses, and now they just need the one home state plate, and only one drivers license.
I think you are confusing those with fuel stickers, so anytime you went through at state you had to write how many miles you did. Then at the end of the year you paid fuel taxes for each state you went through.Never heard anything about multiple driving licenses. You need a medical card.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
Macblood

Default Winnisquam Ice

Looking to ride on Sunday afternoon. Is Winnisquam safe to ride on? Trail heads at Ferry Point, Ahern Park, North End by Loon Nursery? Thanks in advance.....
Macblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
See the larger issue for me as a newbie here is that the trail conditions are not updated often by clubs. For example Moultonboro Club last updated 2/15. So for an out of state'r how is one to make plans for tomorrows hike up there without updates? Alot of guys in independant threads have commented the trails are poor. I didnt find that last weekend when I rode from 20mi.bay up Mt Shaw and then over to Ossippee. There were a couple thin spots going to Ossipee but they werent that bad. Maybe being new I have nothing to compare it to. Again, Wolfeboro Club site kists there trails as "rolled". What the heck does that mean? It has said that for a week. The only club I see good out of is out of Wakefield, Seven Lakes Club. THey seem to update conditions frequently.
Hi,

As the president of the Moultonboro Club, and PT trailmaster, I am responsible for the trail reports. Unfortunately, our club like most others are run by volunteers that have to still work on our real jobs!! I would like to update more, but at this point am only doing so when things change. My last update a week ago noted that the trails are open and passable. I believe that is still the case, though I have not been out, but I do see people still using them. There is not enough snow for us to process or work with. I know grooming looks like we just cruise through the woods with a drag behind us, but there is a lot of science behind it.

Hopefully, we will get some snow this weekend and can get back out there. What is out there now will make a great base and only 6 inches of relatively high moisture count snow will put us in good shape.

My contact info is on our website moultonborosmc.org. Feel free to contact me regarding conditions. I do try to check and respond to member's queries daily. Also contact me if you are interested in helping. We do trail work basically Sept through first snow and then again in April/ May putting the trails to bed and removing signs, snow fences, etc.

I will also take members for groomer ride alongs.

John
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (02-22-2013), secondcurve (02-22-2013), surfnsnow (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblood View Post
Looking to ride on Sunday afternoon. Is Winnisquam safe to ride on? Trail heads at Ferry Point, Ahern Park, North End by Loon Nursery? Thanks in advance.....
I am not home at the moment but my wife said there are bob houses and lots of sleds out there, but I have no idea how many inches. Ride safe.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
tpabrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Hi,

As the president of the Moultonboro Club, and PT trailmaster, I am responsible for the trail reports. Unfortunately, our club like most others are run by volunteers that have to still work on our real jobs!! I would like to update more, but at this point am only doing so when things change. My last update a week ago noted that the trails are open and passable. I believe that is still the case, though I have not been out, but I do see people still using them. There is not enough snow for us to process or work with. I know grooming looks like we just cruise through the woods with a drag behind us, but there is a lot of science behind it.

Hopefully, we will get some snow this weekend and can get back out there. What is out there now will make a great base and only 6 inches of relatively high moisture count snow will put us in good shape.

My contact info is on our website moultonborosmc.org. Feel free to contact me regarding conditions. I do try to check and respond to member's queries daily. Also contact me if you are interested in helping. We do trail work basically Sept through first snow and then again in April/ May putting the trails to bed and removing signs, snow fences, etc.

I will also take members for groomer ride alongs.

John
We did 120 miles today starting from the lake in Wolfeboro down to New Durham, over Moose Mtn, up through Ossipee, and back over the lake. The conditions ranged from awesome to "I wish we wouldnt have gone this way". Generally, the higher we got the better the trails were. From my little experience, seems like the snow this weekend will help a ton.
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tpabrad For This Useful Post:
SAB1 (02-23-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #26
VitaBene

We did receive a decent amount of snow and are currently grooming. Please look out for grooming equipment!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
XCR-700

Any update on trail conditions?

Is the lake safe to ride on?

Thanks - GH
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
NHWakesurfer

When I was on the trails in Moultonborough Monday they were in great shape but we have had a lot of melting so not sure how they are at this point. As for the lake there is a lot of slush out there, its getting worse by the day. I was out on the lake some yesterday but sadly I'm done at this point just to much slush to deal with

I hope you find some good riding if you go.
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #29
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Any update on trail conditions?

Thanks - GH
Low elevation trails are not looking good at this point... Even high elevation trails will probably not be groomed. It hasn't been below freezing at my place for three days now.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
SAB1

Is the lake rideable tomorrow for a quick ride?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #31
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Is the lake rideable tomorrow for a quick ride?
From what I could see it is glare ice. I didn't see any snow on it in my drive from Belmont to Black Cat Island.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
Lakegeezer

Default snow shower

We had a snow shower around dusk and now there is at least a heavy dusting on the ice. The rain got rid of much of the snow, so it was not really good for riding before that.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #33
Belmont Resident

Default Snowed last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
We had a snow shower around dusk and now there is at least a heavy dusting on the ice. The rain got rid of much of the snow, so it was not really good for riding before that.
I just got up and there is a solid 2" of snow outside. Acuweather has 6-10 inches for Tuesdays storm on their home page.
I guess the lake is open for riding. Problem is knowing where it isn't safe to be on.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #34
SAB1

Anybody ride this weekend on the lake? I was tempted but didn't. I hear you could get 10-12 Tuesday. May be able to sneak a last ride in.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #35
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Anybody ride this weekend on the lake? I was tempted but didn't. I hear you could get 10-12 Tuesday. May be able to sneak a last ride in.
Depending on who you watch the accumulations are all over the place. With temps forecast to be below normal through the end of this month you may be riding the lake for a couple of more weeks. Temps have been down in the teens so ice is staying, or from my observations getting thicker.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #36
Cobalt

Default Lake Riding

I saw 4 machines riding the Lake on Saturday 3/16 coming out of Braun Bay and getting off the Lake just before the Long Island Beach on the right. There were also a couple of ice fishermen out there.

Does anyone have any information on whether there are snowmobiles riding on the Moultonboro Bay side? Projected 8-10 inches of snow should help out provided the ice is safe.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #37
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I saw quite a few snowmobiles all around Welch Island, Round Island and Timber. Think most of them were coming in from the Gilford town beach whose shoreline is in great shape and plenty of ice!

I did not see any snowmobiles crossing the broads however.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
Belmont Resident

Default Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I saw 4 machines riding the Lake on Saturday 3/16 coming out of Braun Bay and getting off the Lake just before the Long Island Beach on the right. There were also a couple of ice fishermen out there.

Does anyone have any information on whether there are snowmobiles riding on the Moultonboro Bay side? Projected 8-10 inches of snow should help out provided the ice is safe.

Thanks
I'm not sure if it will change especially considering some of the ground has already turned muddy but the Moultonborough trails that I have seen are posted as closed.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #39
VitaBene

Quote:
I'm not sure if it will change especially considering some of the ground has already turned muddy but the Moultonborough trails that I have seen are posted as closed.
We reopened the gates today, we will see!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-19-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #40
Lakegeezer

Default Trail update

Quote:
We reopened the gates today, we will see!
Hi Vitabene. Can you update the trail report on the web site? There is no date noted for what is there and the information seems long outdated.
http://moultonborosmc.org/trail-maps/trail-conditions/
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
SAB1

How much snow has fallen up there in Tuftonboro area? Lake rideable Saturday?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #42
VitaBene

Quote:
How much snow has fallen up there in Tuftonboro area? Lake rideable Saturday?
Snow totals will be all over the place, but we certainly received a fair amount- enough to sled on the ice. What I can't vouch for is the ice itself! Be Careful!!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
SAB1

Thanks. I don't wander far on the ice. Just like to get a last ride in if possible. Tuftonboro had a good 18in of ice last weekend in the 19/20 mi Bay Area.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #44
carno

Default Ambrose

Hey Vitabene, do you have any updates for corridor 15 @ ambrose cove?...curious if it is still open from lake coming from states landing/power line trail...thx...looking to finish up with last ride..thx
carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #45
VitaBene

We have the gates open and we did receive approx 8 inches of snow in that area, maybe a bit more. It did settle pretty well yesterday- but still ride-able, I think. I am not sure how the lake is coming on and off the trail. Best of luck, we are intending to keep the gates open through the weekend at this point but are not grooming.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Cobalt (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
Lakegeezer

Default 3/21 - Good lake riding

Lake riding in M'boro bay is pretty good. The ice fishing crowd says the ice is a foot thick where ever they drill and there is surprisingly little open water near the rocks or shoreline, especially given the strong sun today. However, the narrows between M'boro bay and the paths to Greens Basin or Lees Mills (around Whaleback Is) looks dangerous. Lots of open water there. No doubt someone will try it, but I didn't feel comfortable getting close. The entrance to Arey's/Ambrose-cove trail (Route 15) had two tracks, but the dock bubblers in the area have done a number. Again, I wouldn't try it. The bay down to Melvin Bay and by the camps looks great. Some tracks here and there. A bit slushy, but not as bad as it was because the snow is not as deep. It should make for some weekend riding, but use your judgement.

Someone that drove by the Kitchen said the gate to Red Hill was closed. Does anyone know if the Castle trails are open?
Cobalt (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #47
SAB1

Thanks. I will give it a try this weekend but stick to Moultonboro/Melvin/20/19. I heard Pittsburg did real well with 14 inches in town and the hils got over 24 in.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #48
carno

Default conditions

Thanks for the info on conditions..coming from states landing...prob go via trail from skellys... Ambrose cove sounds a little sketchy..Ossipee site is reporting that state has opened trails to castle and is grooming...from ossipee side...
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #49
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club INFO 3/20

Lakegeezer

Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club

Storm & Trail Update!
Leave a reply
3/20/2013

We have re-opened, in conjunction with the State. Expect spring like conditions…the State is packing up and over the Castle and we will do what we can with our woodlands trails!

I did not see anything posted today on either the Ossipee Club or SLedNH websites so far.

http://www.ossipeevalleysnowmobileclub.com/

http://www.slednh.com/forums/

http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.p...m/2-club-news/
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #50
Belmont Resident

Default The snow is going fast

I came out of the house I'm working on today in Moultonborough and the 8" or snow now looks like 3-4 inches or slush.
Temps have been up near 40 and are going to be even warmer by the weekend. Sled tracks on the lake are now slush and it may all be slush by tomorrow.
Sorry for the negative post but I'd sure hate to see someone drive up and expect all that snow we had especially if they are towing up.
Cobalt (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #51
hilltopper

Trails that had no base before Tuesday's storm will be junk by Saturday (probably are already). Trail 15 (powerlines) through Meredith had no base before the storm. Woods/shaded trails did manage to hold a 2" to 5" base before the storm. I wouldn't bother trail riding on the northern end of the lake. Other than maybe a 4 day stretch at one point, I've been saying that all winter.

Out of curiosity, did trail 15 between Moultonborough and Meredith ever see the groomer this year? Not being critical...didn't seem like that stretch ever had good snow this year.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #52
SAB1

Love the consistent reports. Lake geezer said lake riding was good. Belmont says it slush. All I want to do is get a last ride in for a couple hours on the lake but yes I gotta tow an hour and half to get there.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #53
Irrigation Guy

Corr 15 between Moultonboro and Center Harbor(Coe Hill Rd) saw one groomer trip this season. Once we finally had enough snow to begin working it the snow disappeared with the warm temperatures and the rain.

As mentioned above, today we saw 40ish degrees and what was dirt before this last snowstorm is quickly turning back to dirt and mud. The club has once again officially closed the trails and will also be closing gates. We value our relationship with the landowners and hope that snowmobilers will use common sense and hold off riding when there is little on no snow.

We wish it were not this way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
hilltopper (03-22-2013), ITD (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #54
carno

Default Trails

Are all gates closed??? just looking to get to shaw from 109 to avoid trailering to parking area..anybody been by that gate..just before states landing. thx for the info..
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #55
carno

Default disregard

just read the official news on the web site...glad i took the day off tomorrow...looks like its time to get the boat ready
Old 03-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #56
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Love the consistent reports. Lake geezer said lake riding was good. Belmont says it slush. All I want to do is get a last ride in for a couple hours on the lake but yes I gotta tow an hour and half to get there.
Sorry, I wish I had better news and you were the one I was thinking of when I posted my findings. The temps are dropping down to the 20's at night so you may be able to ride the lake early in the morning before temps warm it all up.
SAB1 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #57
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
Corr 15 between Moultonboro and Center Harbor(Coe Hill Rd) saw one groomer trip this season.
Just curious...is the Meredith club responisble for the Coe Hill Road to Keyser Road section of 15?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #58
sluggo

Was riding on winni all day yesterday. The lake has plenty of ice and the conditions are pretty good. A little soft getting on and off in a few spots but all in all it was great. Was on kanasatka also and conditions were perfect for ice riding. Still 10 to 15 inches of ice across the lake. The ice ridges around were small but wet on one end as normal. If you go out have fun and be safe.......
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #59
Cobalt

Default Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Update

3/22/2013

The State has closed the trail to the Castle, and the gates to Corridor 19 (Railbed) this morning. George groomed last night so we are asking the State to keep the gates open in the Park at least through the weekend. Needless to say the snow from the last storm is going fast!

Biting the bullet, and heading to Pittsburg.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #60
SAB1

Pittsburg should be good. They got decent snow there. Web cams look good. I couldnt find any lodging.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #61
sluggo

a few of the guys left for Rangeley Maine this morning. We were going to go to Pittsburg but we were told it was real slim around town and better in the elevations and the conditions fair. In Rangeley they got 30 inches of snow and the trails were awesome, and that was the last call I had today.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #62
ishoot308

Sluggo;

What's the walking like out on the lake right now? Is there much slush or deep snow? Would snowshoes be required?

Thinking of walking out to my camp tomorrow and just want to be prepared...

Thanks!!

Dan
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #63
SAB1

From what I read on Pittsburg, the town got 14 inches but the hills got 24+. Supposedly the riding in the hills was best the season has had. WHo knows. Wish I was there though. I dont mind trailering a little to hit the woods. Oh well.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #64
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Unhappy Trail alert

Ossipee Valley

TRAIL ALERT

3/22/2013

The State has closed the trail to the Castle, and the gates to Corridor 19 (Railbed) this morning. George groomed last night so we are asking the State to keep the gates open in the Park at least through the weekend. Needless to say the snow from the last storm is going fast!

http://www.ossipeevalleysnowmobileclub.com/

Moultonboro

Club Info:
Trail Report 3-21-2013 7:00 pm:
Trails Closed
We had hoped to have riding through the weekend but, with temperatures close to 40 degrees the warm weather took its toll on what snow we did have. The trails are already getting down to dirt, rocks, and mud. We need to keep in mind we are travelling across the property of others. Please do not ride through dirt, mud, and rocks and jeopardize our relationship with the landowners. The trails are closed and we will be closing gates effective immediately. Thank you!

http://moultonborosmc.org/
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #65
Irrigation Guy

Yes. As a side note MSC has been trying to find a way off the paved section and in the past year made some encouraging progress.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #66
ishoot308

Default Plenty Of Snow

I walked out on the lake yesterday afternoon and there is plenty of snow for riding! Looks and feels like great riding snow also. Snowmobiles are still riding all around Welch and the broads this A.M.

Enjoy while it's here cause it won't be here much longer!

Dan
Old 03-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #67
Bear Island South

Default Great riding conditions

Just came off the lake from riding, great conditions!
No slush at all, there is a 6" layer of snow and I measured 12" of good ice in several places.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #68
NHWakesurfer

I will second that. We just got back being out most of the day. Great snow, no slush and flat no pressure ridges were we were in moultonborough. Enjoy it while its here.
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #69
SAB1

Us too! 70 miles on the lake today. Was a lot of fun.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #70
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Us too! 70 miles on the lake today. Was a lot of fun.
Glad things froze up for you. Honestly it was not that way on Friday, soft & wet. Things at my house also slowed way down after the freeze up on Friday night.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #71
SAB1

Thanks Belmont! I suspect that was the last ride of the year. My son cleaned the sleds up and shined them today. Hate to put them away. I seem to enjoy it more than boating. Next year I am making a point of going to pittsburg and Maine. Luckily my wife has even taken a liking to it. Spending the money for good quality riding gear is worth every cent. I can't believe how warm you can stay even when it's 10 degrees out.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #72
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Thanks Belmont! I suspect that was the last ride of the year. My son cleaned the sleds up and shined them today. Hate to put them away. I seem to enjoy it more than boating. Next year I am making a point of going to pittsburg and Maine. Luckily my wife has even taken a liking to it. Spending the money for good quality riding gear is worth every cent. I can't believe how warm you can stay even when it's 10 degrees out.
Same here, I used to boat every weekend, then it just got boring. Now I break summers up with ATV riding, mountain biking and kayaking. The older I get the more I enjoy the cooler weather of winter more then I can take the heat of summer. But then again I work outside all summer, so for me the perfect summer would be low to mid 70's all summer long and dare I say rain only on the weekends. I can't work in the rain
Glad you got to ride this weekend.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #73
Cobalt

Default Trail Riding in Pittsburg

The trails in the higher elevations of Pittsburg were great and fast. Some of the best in a long time. The groomers were out and it snowed lightly all weekend helping with slowing the melt.

By Sunday PM, trails along Route 3 near Youngs and the Arctic Cat dealer were in tough shape.

It was not crowded, and it seemed like most riders have packed it in for the season.

Hated to leave.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #74
SIKSUKR

Had 3 friends that spent the weekend in Jackman and said the riding was very good.One of them had about 30 minutes of go-pro video and all of that footage had untracked 4-6 inches of fresh powder.Looked great.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #75
VitaBene

Default Cleaning

Quote:
The best product I have used is lemon Pledge furniture polish on sleds. Thanks to forum member OldHubbardRoad for the suggestion!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #76
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default # 1 Cleaner

Quote:
The best product I have used is lemon Pledge furniture polish on sleds. Thanks to forum member OldHubbardRoad for the suggestion!
John, I will back you up on that one.

I another Life I used to fly Model Airplanes competitively and at these Competitions each plane was Judged on the "FINISH" of the plane. You would normally take a few practice flights before the Judging took place. We tried all sorts of "cleaners and degreasers to get the CASTER OIL off the planes. Nothing came close to Lemon Pledge. It took the grease off and polished the planes all in one step.

The only thing that came close was a polish called AURI. It was one of the original "AS SEEN ON TV" items. I used on every thing. Then one day it disappeared off the market. EPA must have caught up to them. Back then you could use the really GOOD chemicals that made things really work.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #77
SAB1

I have used the Mequires detailing spray on the sled that I use on the bike. Shines it up great. Lemon Pledge does wonders. I have used it on my eisenglass (boat plastic windows) to keep them clear and soft. My boat is a1997 and I have the orginal zip on/off eisenglass windows in the bimini and they look like new. Just be sure not use the pledge from the aerosol can. The propellants in the can will ruin the glass. I used to use the pledge they sold in a spray pump bottle but they no longer offer it so for the past few years I have used the pledge wipes.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #78
Belmont Resident

Quote:
I have used the Mequires detailing spray on the sled that I use on the bike. Shines it up great. Lemon Pledge does wonders. I have used it on my eisenglass (boat plastic windows) to keep them clear and soft. My boat is a1997 and I have the orginal zip on/off eisenglass windows in the bimini and they look like new. Just be sure not use the pledge from the aerosol can. The propellants in the can will ruin the glass. I used to use the pledge they sold in a spray pump bottle but they no longer offer it so for the past few years I have used the pledge wipes.
Buy the stuff in the bottle and transfer to a spray bottle. You can buy them just about anywhere. I suspect this would be a lot cheaper then the wipes.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #79
ishoot308

Default It's Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post

The only thing that came close was a polish called AURI. It was one of the original "AS SEEN ON TV" items. I used on every thing. Then one day it disappeared off the market. EPA must have caught up to them. Back then you could use the really GOOD chemicals that made things really work.
Here ya go WINNOCTURN. Looks like it's back!!

http://www.auri.com/index.php/cPath/21_30

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #80
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Here ya go WINNOCTURN. Looks like it's back!!

http://www.auri.com/index.php/cPath/21_30

Dan
It was the easiest polish to take off. One pass the my wife's best towels and it was gone. I never did try setting the hood of my 67 Chevelle on fire as they did in the commercials.

THANKS!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #81
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
It was the easiest polish to take off. One pass the my wife's best towels and it was gone. I never did try setting the hood of my 67 Chevelle on fire as they did in the commercials.

THANKS!!!

If you decide to try setting the hood on your car on fire now, please video it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #82
Bear Island South

Looks like this guy still can still enjoy the lake for a little longer.

Even with all the ice, the shoreline was tough getting on and off last weekend.
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #83
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
Looks like this guy still can still enjoy the lake for a little longer.

Even with all the ice, the shoreline was tough getting on and off last weekend.
I heard someone went through in a truck at Harilla Landing earlier this week.
Apparently he had made several trips out before the truck went through.
Saw someone out on the ice with an ATV the same day off Black Cat.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #84
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation New Hampshire Bureau of Trails Report 03/29/13

March 29th, 2013 Update
Thank you riders and clubs for a really good 2013 snowmobile season. Good spring riding still exists in higher elevations and in northern NH; specifically areas around Pittsburg, Diamond Pond, Errol and Jericho Mountain State Park. Check local club websites for updates through April. Grooming will likely end in all areas after this weekend but riding will be open in some places as long as snow remains. Riding at Boundary Pond and Deer Mountain areas in Pittsburg anticipated through most of April.

Thank you again for registering your snowmobile and supporting the local clubs. Your registration sticker is the only source of funding for trail grooming and construction.

Pittsburg- Trail system is 90% open. Grooming is ongoing as weather and conditions permit. Trails to the north are good to great. Trails to the south are poor with spring riding conditions. Corridor 20 below Indian Stream Eatery is cloed. Inlets to First Connecticut Lake and Lake Francis have begun to open up. Stay off lakes and ponds. For specific trail information, please visit http://www.snowmobilepittsburgnh.com/

Colebrook- Some riding in the Diamond Peaks and Diamond Pond area. All gates into Colebrook and in East Colebrook are closed. Rail bed between Colebrook and Beecher Falls is closed. Gates in the Bungy/Columbia areas will close this morning. No grooming at this time.

Groveton/Nash Stream- 2-6” base. Trails are groomed and riding is fair to good.

Diamond Pond/Coleman State Park- 1-2” of new snow on a 5-8” base. Trails are groomed and riding is good to great.

Errol- 2-6” base. Trails are groomed and riding is moderate to good.

Cambridge- 3-6” of new snow. Trails are groomed and riding is good.

Milan- Trails are groomed and riding is fair.

Berlin- 2-8” base. Trails are groomed and riding is fair to good.

Berlin/Success- Trails are not groomed and riding is fair to moderate.

Gorham- Trails are groomed and riding is fair to good.

Jefferson- Trails are groomed and riding is good.

Lancaster- Trails are not groomed and riding is fair.

Whitefield- Trails are not groomed and riding is fair.

Franconia Notch- 1-4” base. Trails are groomed and riding is fair to good.

Campton/Thornton- Trails are groomed and riding is available in higher elevations.

Bear Notch- 6-8” base. Trails are groomed with spring riding conditions. Railroad tracks exposed. Gates will be closed at Sawyer River Road and at Newts Brook.
Rail Lines:
Trails on active rail lines are now closed; Concord to Lincoln, Bennington, Ossipee to Conway, Twin Mountain

All recreational rail trails have vehicle gates closed and the surface on most of them is now dirt.
Additional Resources and Information
Please be safe and ride with caution.
Respect our landowners.
Watch speeds and stay to the right.

For more information contact megan.denutte@dred.state.nh.us.