Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Jidge

Default Where was the Marine Patrol?

Does anyone know where the Marine Patrol was today when all the Donzis and "Go Fast" boats were flying into Chestnut Cove, all under 150' from eachother as well as being about 70' off my "anchored" boat with my neice, nephew and wife swimming in the wake filled water. I really appreciated it , especially when everyone of them looked right at me as they flew by. Race or Poker Run doesn't give you the right to break the law. By the way, I ended up finding the Marine Patrol over by Sandy Point nudging people into ticketable offences. ......Just blowin off steam......
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
ApS

Cool Tuftonboro and Wolfeboro Benefitted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidge View Post
"...Does anyone know where the Marine Patrol was today..."
In "High-Season"—and for a Saturday—I had a record number of MPs (2) actually hanging around motionless in the area between Tuftonboro and Wolfeboro. There were no "stops" that I could detect.

One of those Marine Patrol boats was the slow, noisy, but ever-vigilant MP11 inboard.

Our usual "zip boat", who usually exits his locale at a quiet idle, came by noisily late in the afternoon and disappeared from our view. Interestingly, at about 1½-miles away, you could pick up the "Doppler Effect" note in the exhaust and predict his return into view.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
MDoug

Blue lights were flashing off Pine Island near Y landing at dark, as usual.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
JDeere

If you had called them they would have responded.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Kamper

phone - 603-293-2037 - Glendale NH

VHF - Channel 16
. "New Hampshire Marine Patrol, Marine Patrol, Marine Patrol.
. "This is Jidge, Jidge, Jidge.
. "Reporting unsafe operations at Chestnut Cove, Chestnut Cove, Chestnut Cove.
. "Over."

Expect conversation to folow.

Altnernate on VHF channel 16
. "Security. Security. Security.
. "High speed vessels in Chestnut Cove.
. "This is Jidge. Jidge. Jidge.
. "Be advised there are swimmers in the water.
. "Swimmers in the water.
. "Swimmers in the water.
. "Request you reduce speed.
. "Reduce speed.
. "Reduce speed.
. "Over."
This will probably draw in the NHMPfor a look-see. They may not contact you for clarification but Glendale HQ would dispatch them over their internal channel.

Waiting until you get to the computer is not really an effective way to help your immediate situation.

Better luck next time!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
KonaChick

About 25 GFBL's went flying past our place yesterday morning coming from the direction of Ctr. Harbor. It had to be a Poker Run and they were breaking the speed limit and 150' rule, all of them. MP would never have been able to stop all of them and I'm sure there's some unwritten rule where MP looks the other way during poker runs. It was an awesome sight to see, I'm just glad none of us were out on the jet ski's or tubing in front of the house.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Unhappy Ganzy Island.

Between Ganzy Island and Richardson Shores was crazy yesterday. Lots of PWCs, pontoon boats and bass boats at above headway speed passing each other within feets. Clear violation of the 150' rule. Sad part of this that there was an inflatable patrol boat sitting there off to the side toward Balmoral. Was he taking a lunch break?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
travaler18

Default dont understand

from what ive read on a poker run ,you dont need to be the first , or even collect the chips as long as you signed up for it and payed your fee you were entered in any drawings. so what is the need for speed
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

This exciting event did not look like a poker run as many came back as a group a while later. We took some pictures and at the point they passed the island, they did appear to be observing the 150 foot rule. They were widely dispersed over a wide and long area. It was quite a sight. I could see how the spacing could become a challenge when they ran out of lake in Chestnut Cove.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
EricP

They were protecting me and my friends kayaking in Hubbard Bay
Old 07-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Woodsy

Default kinda weird...

I was participant in the 10th Annual Donzi Poker Run yesterday. Its kinda funny how people have VERY different perceptions as to what constitutes hi-speed or 150'...

The NHMP shadowed us the entire run! They were there lurking at every stop ( and along the route) looking for violations! We pulled a proper permit and it was with the condition that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES were we to exceed the 45MPH speed limit. Any violation of that provision would result in the event permit not granted ever again... needless to say we heeded that warning!

KonaChick, There were two Donzi pace boats, both flying a yellow flag, they set the pace using GPS at 45 MPH. Any passing of the Pace Boat would result in an immeadiate disqualification. The only time my GPS read over 45 was when we were running the Broads getting our pictures taken by Lakes Region Aerial Photography... then my GPS briefly hit 51 MPH!

I can understand Jidge being a little upset when we went into Chestnut Cove... he had no idea we were coming and I am sure that sight can be quite unsettling. No doubt the boat wakes stirred up the water fierce. I can totally see his point especially if he had some swimmers in the water. I apologize for any stress we may have caused. We were all very concious of the 150' rule and while I witnessed a few violations during the duration of the Poker Run (100' apart vs 150') they were few and far between.

Woodsy
Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
VtSteve

Nice update Woodsy, and congrats on resisting the temptation.

Gives a little more insight into what people's "perceptions" really are. Too bad that much venting wasn't reserved for the boneheads out there. But I guess it's easier to target the go-fasts than a bunch of bowriders with tubers, cruisers with drunks, and PWC's jetting around like sea lice.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
KonaChick

Not knocking it at all, like I said it was an awesome sight to see. I'm just glad we weren't in the way when they went bombing through. We have company up and we all watched from the deck cheering you on.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Dave R

We saw the Donzis in Braun Bay. Some nice looking boats. I'm rather partial to the "Classics". I did not witness any unsafe operation.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
Not knocking it at all, like I said it was an awesome sight to see. I'm just glad we weren't in the way when they went bombing through. We have company up and we all watched from the deck cheering you on.
But you stated that they
Quote:
were breaking the speed limit and 150' rule, all of them. MP would never have been able to stop all of them and I'm sure there's some unwritten rule where MP looks the other way during poker runs. It was an awesome sight to see, I'm just glad none of us were out on the jet ski's or tubing in front of the house.
It just didn't sound like cheering

This thread certainly points out why some of us could not understand the other side of certain topics. Perception is a huge factor in many of these discussions. If Woodsy's take is pretty accurate, which I'm sure it is, then many people just have to figure out what 150' is. not to mention, 45 mph is not Roaring or Bombing or any of that.

It does make for a funny thread though.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
KonaChick

And my perception is that 25 boats going 45 - 50 mph down the lake (as stated) and within 150' of each other ( I stand by my perception) is bombing AND an "awesome" sight to see!!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
4Fun

Woodsy,

What was the permit for?? If everyone followed the law couldnt you just do it without one?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
winnipesaukeenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidge View Post
Does anyone know where the Marine Patrol was today when all the Donzis and "Go Fast" boats were flying into Chestnut Cove, all under 150' from eachother as well as being about 70' off my "anchored" boat with my neice, nephew and wife swimming in the wake filled water. I really appreciated it , especially when everyone of them looked right at me as they flew by. Race or Poker Run doesn't give you the right to break the law. By the way, I ended up finding the Marine Patrol over by Sandy Point nudging people into ticketable offences. ......Just blowin off steam......
Instead of wondering where they were, you should have called Marine Patrol Headquarters to report the activity. It's a large lake to patrol and they can't be everywhere at once.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
Woodsy

KonaChick....

We did stick to the rules, but I bet it did seem like we were "bombing around"! Sorry if we caused you any stress or grief! I would love to see a video of all the boats running.

4Fun...

We usually have an MP officer give the safety speech prior to the run. A few years ago, it was thier opinion that the Donzi Poker Run should be/was classified as an "event" and a special event permit was required. We have pulled a permit every year since. It keeps them happy, and the permit process is fairly easy. The permit gives the MP our "route" around the lake and the approximate start/finish times. The NHMP have been nothing short of cooperative and fantastic. Thier main concern is safety and as I mentioned previously they had several boats "shadow" the run to make sure nothing goes wrong.

The Donzi Poker Run is free, there is no entrance fee and if you win well you get a nice plaque! LOL! It is really just an excuse for us local Donzi guys to host our out of state friends for a fun day of running around and showing off the lake. We had boats in from all over the Eastern Seaboard, this year I think the farthest boat came from North Carolina! We have had a boat travel from Texas in previous years! While I am sure techinically we could have just been "a bunch of friends running around the lake" none of the particpants minded the NHMP presence and nobody got stopped for any violations. All in all it was a great day for us Donzi owners.

I do apologize to Jidge for any stress we may have caused when we went into Chestnut cove.... I can totally understand his point of view!

Woodsy
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
KonaChick....

We did stick to the rules, but I bet it did seem like we were "bombing around"! Sorry if we caused you any stress or grief! I would love to see a video of all the boats running.

4Fun...

We usually have an MP officer give the safety speech prior to the run. A few years ago, it was thier opinion that the Donzi Poker Run should be/was classified as an "event" and a special event permit was required. We have pulled a permit every year since. It keeps them happy, and the permit process is fairly easy. The permit gives the MP our "route" around the lake and the approximate start/finish times. The NHMP have been nothing short of cooperative and fantastic. Thier main concern is safety and as I mentioned previously they had several boats "shadow" the run to make sure nothing goes wrong.

The Donzi Poker Run is free, there is no entrance fee and if you win well you get a nice plaque! LOL! It is really just an excuse for us local Donzi guys to host our out of state friends for a fun day of running around and showing off the lake. We had boats in from all over the Eastern Seaboard, this year I think the farthest boat came from North Carolina! We have had a boat travel from Texas in previous years! While I am sure techinically we could have just been "a bunch of friends running around the lake" none of the particpants minded the NHMP presence and nobody got stopped for any violations. All in all it was a great day for us Donzi owners.

I do apologize to Jidge for any stress we may have caused when we went into Chestnut cove.... I can totally understand his point of view!

Woodsy
Too bad I didn't know this was going on. I would have like to check out some old 18 classics and sweet 16s
Old 07-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Lol pace boats keeping speed down....

Woodsy,

Although at least your making an honest post...... you admitidlty went over 45 mph..... I hope you where disqualified.... or disqualified yourself..... Oh how did you stay behind the official Pace Boats

As for Pace boats keeping speed down... that is a bunch of bull..... fall off to 30 fall behind, and do 60 to catch up.... your not fooling anyone.... in short the PACE BOAT theory is a bunch of crap.....

Now I don't have an issue with the Poker Run.... or any event really, however don't try and hide behind obvious hocus pocus.... Just tell the dam truth.....

Boats where going faster the 45... not a big deal, if the event was indeed sactioned
The Marine Patrol followed the group and made sure it didn't get out of control.....
PACE BOATS MADE SURE THE OVERALL SPEED WAS BELOW 45!!!!!!!!! ---- notice the slight tweaking of the words......

Now as for the people that seemed to have issue with this event.....
-- this event has been held yearly I believe for several years....
-- If it was sactioned as an event and approved by the MP there is no complaining....
-- unfortunately the event causes multiple boats to be running together... this cause a lot of wake action.....it doesn't however indicate any wrong doing by the people involved, it just means it is going to be rough while the go by......Woodsy shouldn't need to be here defending the event like he is having to. Although he is being nice enough to at least let everyone know what is going on.

In short people don't be so uptight..... special events happen, they are what makes being on the lake fun.... Are people going to complain when the old wooden boats make thier rounds.... in a pack.... I don't think so.... but you know what they turn the water up just a much, and make just as much noise, and OMG even run just a close together.......
Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #22
onlywinni

I was anchored over in Centre Harbor and saw all you guys blast by...

I LOVED IT!!!!!

It was a cool display of go fast boats.

My only complaint is that they were all Donzis and not Bajas
Old 07-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
searay220

That's a good one "Don't be so uptight" come on. I was heading out of the mouth of Alton Bay when that group of boats were heading in. I felt the only safe place to be at that time was off the lake. The group took the hole width of the bay flying along with no regard for others. The only thing I could do was come off plane and hope I don't get hit.Then a short time later I was in Chestnut Cove with a wakeboarder in tow and of course here they come again flying in this small cove with no regard for others. Come on with the uptight stuff. I guess when you run in a pack who care about others.

With that said: If this group showed the respect of other boaters I wouldn't be so ticked. However most all of the boats I saw were great looking. I love those smaller ones they look to be of an older vintage.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Too bad I didn't know this was going on. I would have like to check out some old 18 classics and sweet 16s
The classics definitely get my votes.... I know of a guy over on Welch Island that has a small 18 feet? Cigarette. Sharp looking boat.

Don Arronow is my idol. My Formula hull was designed by Don. As are the Cigarettes, Apache and Donzi hulls.

Maybe I should get a Formula poker run going. Seems there is enough people on the lake who likes to see the classic boats run.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Alton Bay Bob

"I was heading out of the mouth of Alton Bay when that group of boats were heading in. I felt the only safe place to be at that time was off the lake. The group took the hole width of the bay flying along with no regard for others. The only thing I could do was come off plane and hope I don't get hit."

We also were in Alton Bay tubing. It was an incredible awesome sight as all those boats came into the bay. Because they were about 150 feet apart I came off plane because there was no where to go without being 75 feet from two of them. We just waited until they all passed and enjoyed the view. They were beautiful. I was wondering what else I could have done to stay "legal' I suppose I could have gone the other way and let them catch up to me. At least then I would be the stand on boat. But i was worried about the kids on the tube.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
NoBozo

I'm thinking this 150' rule is really a bit much. In flying, planes are "normally" discouraged from flying close to each other..although I don't know if any particular distance is mentioned in the FARs. However, "Formation Flying" is authorized ..where planes fly within a few feet of each other if such arrangements are Agreed To by the participating pilots.. and they fly as a Unit with respect to Air Traffic Control. (ATC)

When did someone come up with the 150' rule on the lake..? Just wondering.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
Happy Gourmand

Default another point

Interesting that you should bring up Air Traffic Control.......You can fly at 500 or 600 MPH....and I can fly at the same speed or more....in the direct opposite direction....at just 1000 feet apart and be considered "safe". BUT.....if you're dead in the water and I'm going 7 MPH and get within 150' of you, I'm in violation.........things that make you go HMMMMMMMMM !!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #28
Coolbreeze

What a sight woodsy!
I saw it and heard it and it was cool. I'm sure that the operators of those boats are skilled with their boats and professionals with reagrd to other boaters.
In fact I am going to have a poker run for sea nymphs! Anyone interested. I plan on a two day run from Wolfeboro town docks to the Alton town docks with a fill up station somewhere near Bahrs place. Hmmmm maybe he will sponsor a watering hole! I think I'm on to something.
Donzis are beautiful boats... the ferraris of water!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #29
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm thinking this 150' rule is really a bit much. In flying, planes are "normally" discouraged from flying close to each other..although I don't know if any particular distance is mentioned in the FARs. However, "Formation Flying" is authorized ..where planes fly within a few feet of each other if such arrangements are Agreed To by the participating pilots.. and they fly as a Unit with respect to Air Traffic Control. (ATC)

Probably the same people that know exactly the 72', 45' 12' 6 inch distance that boats on the fly are from one another This thread reminds me of high school. Those that were petrified of everything, those that imagined terror in everything, and those that just lived life.

This wasn't a life or death event folks. If you want to worry about something, look at the real problems happening everyday around you. Lots of accidents, drownings, PWC's crashing into boats and docks, bowriders in trees.

Interesting, no comment.

There was a reason that these type of people didn't make our nation's rules for centuries. I'm sure at one point, we'll return to normal.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #30
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
It isn't just on the lake. It is on all bodies of water in the state under the MP jurisdiction (10 acres or more).

Many other states have similar rules. Vermont's safe passage from shore is 200'.