Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Loon Cove Station

The old Loon Cove Station (albeit modified over the years) still exists in the woods off Rt 11 in Alton. See:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=6122

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=4669

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=4674

The Alton Downtown Revitalization Committee is currently working with the building owner and DOT (it is on DOT land) to have the building moved to the B&M Railroad Park in Alton. The park is located behind the Town Hall, left of the Police station on the old railroad bed. The park currently includes an old freight building and a caboose surrounded by many recent landscaping improvements. The committee members are really excited about the prospect of saving and restoring the building.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
mcdude

From the Baysider
Quote:

A new addition for the railroad park?
Downtown Revitalization Committee (DRC) Chairwoman Judy Frye approached the board, along with resident Marty Cornelissen,
to request their support for the idea of accepting the former Loon
Cove station building as a donation from the state, and moving it from its current location on Route 11 to the B&M Railroad Park behind Town Hall.
Cornelissen explained that the state had claimed the land on which the station house originally sat by eminent domain in 1968, just prior to the reconfiguration of Route 11, and planned to tear it down unless a party such as the DRC could take it off their hands. “It needs work, but it’s all
there,” he said, adding that the Loon Cove building is the last of its kind available in the area. “You’ve got our support to go ahead,” Sherwood said after gathering a consensus from the board. A public hearing on the acceptance of the building has been scheduled for Monday, Oct. 20, at 6 p.m.

For more on the Railroad Park and the Alton Village Station CLICK HERE
Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
mcdude

Default From the Baysider

More PROGRESS!
Quote:

Selectmen accept donation of historic railroad station
BY BRENDAN BERUBE
Staff Writer
ALTON
— A new addition will soon be joining the B&M Railroad Park behind Town Hall, thanks to an unexpected donation from a local resident. The board of selectmen voted Monday night to accept the donation of the historic Loon Cove station (originally part of the Lakeshore Railroad) on behalf of Alton’s Downtown Revitalization Committee (DRC). “I think it’s a great opportunity for us to have a really important part of Alton’s history,”
DRC Chairwoman Judy Frye said, adding that her committee found the project “exciting and challenging.” Although the building was offered to the DRC by its present owner at no cost, she explained, there are “many
steps along the way” to its becoming a part of the railroad park, including the tricky process of moving it from its current location on the other side of Alton Bay. Historical Society member Marty Cornelissen,who is assisting
the DRC with the project, explained that the hardest aspect of the move will be maneuvering the building underneath cable and telephone lines.
While the top five feet of the building will be removed, reducing its height to 16 feet, six inches and making it easier to clear overhead lines, he
said, a section of cable located in front of Alton Home and Lumber could present a problem. “It’s going to be an interesting move,” he added. Although the DRC has secured the funds needed to hire a contractor to lift the building onto a trailer (which will be donated by resident Scott
Williams), Frye said, they would welcome additional private contributions toward the restoration process, which will include the demolition of some additions in order to bring the station back to its original condition. “I think it’s a wonderful project,” Historical Society President Nancy Thomas
commented. “It’s something that I’m looking forward to seeing down at the park.” Selectman Steve McMahon commended the DRC for their work on the railroad park,which he said has come a long way from where it was
two years ago, and has provided a “nice, added attraction” to the town.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Spit'n Image Farm

Default Loon Cove Station

Just an update on the Loon Cove station, plus a couple of pictures I took just before snow flew to show what it looks like now. There is a picture posted on this forum as to what it looked like before we started. The station is ready to be lifted to remove the foundation and lower it onto the trailer we are going to use to move the station. We have contracted with Prescott & Sons to lift and then lower the building. They gave us a superb price and Thank them tremendously. We are now in the process of getting approvals from DOT, Metro Cast, Phone and NH Electric Co Op, who we need to coordinate the move. So far, so good. We are tentatively looking at the first week in May to make the first attempt to move the station. Watch the newspapers and I'll try to post the exact date on this forum. Marty C
Attached Images

Spit'n Image Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
mcdude

Arrow

From the Baysider 4/9/09

Loon Cove Station to be Moved on Sunday April 26

Quote:

Loon Cove move set for April 26
Bailey informed the board during his bi-weekly report that the historic Loon Cove railroad station was slated to be moved from its present location
on Route 11 to the B&M Railroad Park at 6 a.m. on Sunday, April 26.
Due to the amount of work involved in disconnecting utility lines and ensuring minimal traffic along the route, he said, the move, which should take roughly two hours, will entail closing a portion of Route 11 and redirecting traffic. Bolster thanked Prescott Brothers of Barnstead for
giving the town’s Downtown Revitalization Committee a “really good deal” on some of the equipment necessary to complete the process.

sounds like a good photo op!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Here is a photo taken April 1st of the station in a "ready to load" condition.
We will plan to be there on the 26th.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Spit'n Image Farm

In case of severe weather on Sunday 4/26, the move will be on Sunday May 3, same time. You will need to pick a spot to watch the move. The police and fire depts will be holding all vehicles from getting to close behind or in front to prevent any interference of utility crews. Both sides of the road will have no parking or stopping permitted along the whole route including the bay bridge. It's going to be a tight squeeze at the bridges, Busy Corner/Post Office and the intersection of 28a and Rte 11 at Parker Marine. The building will be taking up the whole road, both north and southbound. Traffic will be diverted except between Busy Corner/Post Office and Parker Marine where Route 11 will be closed down completely until we get past Parker Marine, possibly until we get to the Letter "S" road. Marty C
Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Slickcraft

Thumbs up clear sailing

The move went off without a hitch, other than needing to swap for a bigger tractor at the start.
Hard work and good planning pays off. Others will have more photos and more of the story; I am off to ride the Harley right now. Too bad Judy was sick and did not make it to see the move.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Great!

Glad to hear that things went well with the move. Even more glad that something this historic is preserved.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
Argie's Wife

I had planned to go to the move yesterday but wasn't able to make it. Thanks for posting the pics - do you have any more? I'd love to see them!

Glad to hear all went well - the kiddos love the RR park and it will be neat to see what happens with this!

Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
Slickcraft

Default more move photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I had planned to go to the move yesterday but wasn't able to make it. Thanks for posting the pics - do you have any more? I'd love to see them!
OK here are two more, I'll leave a cd at town hall with pat.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (04-27-2009), Tallyho (04-29-2009)
Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanks for posting those. Looks like quite a crowd showed up!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
Spit'n Image Farm

The move of the Loon Cove station couldn't have been any better. Even the weather was great. I wish to thank all who helped make the move a great success. Special thanks need to go to Russell Bailey, the Town Administrator who coordinated all the utility co.'s and town agencies to make it a smooth and flawless move. Here are some of the pictures I took from when the station was leaving, up to the RR Park. Marty C
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Spit'n Image Farm For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (04-27-2009), DRH (04-27-2009), Jonas Pilot (04-27-2009), Just Sold (04-27-2009), mcdude (04-27-2009), Moccasin (04-27-2009), Resident 2B (04-27-2009), Senter Cove Guy (11-11-2010), Tallyho (04-29-2009)
Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

How awesome is that?! Love it! Looks like things went really well and it was all planned out - YEA!

Man, I love my town!

PS
Walked the dog tonight at the RR park - the little Loon Cove Station has so much promise. I'm excited to see what's next?!

PSS
The spring peepers will about make you go deaf there at night now! They were l-o-u-d!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
mcdude

From the Laconia Citizen
Quote:
New chapter for a RR depot of yesteryear Alton:

By GAIL OBER
gober@citizen.com

Monday, April 27, 2009

Alan MacRae/for the Citizen A SEMITRAILER backs the Alton rail depot into its new home at Railroad Park in Alton on Sunday.

Before the sun even came up, people lined the streets of Alton waiting for a glimpse of the old train station as it made its trip through town.

"Hey it's not every day you see a train station drive through town," said one man to another as more and more people with cameras lined Route 11 and Route 28.

With State Police leading the way and Alton Police diverting traffic whenever necessary, the depot began its final trip at exactly 6 a.m.

Accompanied by workers from Union Telephone, MetroCast Cablevision, and New Hampshire Electric Cooperative, the station slowly made its way about two miles through the center of town.

As the depot, which reached about 16 feet into the air, came to a telephone, cable or power line, the appropriate company would lift the line to allow it to sneak under as the structure made its way to Railroad Park where it will become the centerpiece.

Built around 1890, Marty Cornelissen said the old half-yellow half-green wooden depot with the slate roof was one of the first train stations in Alton.

"The Lakeshore Line started running in 1890," said Cornelissen who waited behind Town Hall for the depot's arrival. "It was originally in the woods because that's where the tracks were."

According to Cornelissen, the road that serviced Alton and Alton Bay was actually Rand Road and the train tracks were along Route 11.

As passenger cars began to replace branch line passenger trains, the small depot stayed in the woods on what is now state land.

At some point, it came the property of Maggie Moore who converted it to a home and lived there until her death.

"I knew her," said neighbor Nancy Malone. "Her husband converted it into a little home, but she got old and had to live in a nursing home."

Cornelissen said Moore's son donated it to the town of Alton, with the stipulation it be removed from state land.

Cornelissen and his brother took off the topmost portion of the slate roof so it would clear the power lines during its trip through town. The town will rebuild the roof and restore the depot in its new home behind Town Hall.

Gail Ober/Citizen Photo A PROCESSION THROUGH Alton was lead by State Police, town public works employees, and all three utility companies. Bringing up the rear, the old Alton Train Station.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
mcdude

Default Set Your VCR / DVD Recorder

Set Your VCR / DVD Recorder
Quote:

ALTON
— It is a rare experience to see a railroad station (and not a train) go past a railroad station. Yet, that is what happened last month when the 1890 Loon Cove Railroad station was moved to its new location at the B&M Railroad Park behind Alton's Town Hall. For those who were not up at 6:30 a.m. and roadside in Alton Bay on April 26, they have a second chance to see the Loon Cove station pass the former Alton Bay railroad station without so much as a fare-thee-well. LRPA-TV is winding down
its playing of "Alton's April News" on Metrocast's Channel 25 this week. The various program times are shown on Channel 24 at the top of the hour, but a sure time to capture the historic RR station move for posterity on viewer's VCR's is either 10:20 p.m. tomorrow, Friday, May 22, or 12:27 p.m. on Sunday, May 24. Set the recording time for eight minutes. This video news was produced by Alton resident Bob Longabaugh.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #18
mcdude

Default From the Baysider

From the Baysider
Quote:

Loon Cove bids welcome
Along with the many new additions at the park, Fry said, the committee recently put the first phase of the Loon Cove station restoration (the repair of the roof, floor joists, windows, and doors) out to bid. Local contractors interested in tackling the project are encouraged to obtain a
specification sheet from Town Hall, she said, adding that all bids are due by Oct. 10. Originally built sometime around 1890, the Loon Cove
station served as one of 11 Alton stops on the Lakeshore line, which ran from Rochester to Lakeport during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Closed down by the Lakeshore Railroad in 1935 when increasing automobile
traffic made rail service obsolete, the station was purchased by Thomas L. Moore II and his wife, Margit, in the mid-1960s and moved from its
original location near the entrance to Route 11-D to a new spot further east on Route 11. After placing the building on a stone foundation, Moore
added a chimney for the wood stove, two decks on the outside, and a new set of stairs leading up to the sleeping loft and connected it to a
well and septic system to convert it into a seasonal cabin. After being instructed by the state Department of Transportation to remove the station from its former location (which was located within a state right-of-way), Moore’s son, Thomas Moore III, donated it to the DRC last fall.
Following extensive renovations and prep work undertaken by resident Marty Cornelissen and his brother Mike, the station was transported
from Route 11 to the B&M Park on the morning of April 26. The DRC’s plan, Fry said, is to use as many of the original building materials as possible to restore the station to its former glory. Thanking the Cornelissen
brothers for the hours of hard work they spent renovating the station at its former site on Route 11 and the Historical Society for its assistance
with the restoration project, Fry said donations toward the upcoming repairs are welcome, and can be mailed to the DRC at P.O. Box 659, Alton, NH 03809.
Brendan Berube

Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
mcdude

Loon Cove Station renovation nearing completion
$2,500 more needed to finish off building in town park
from the Baysider
Quote:

ALTON — Many improvements have been made to the Alton B&M Railroad Park since its creation in 2004, with the latest being a walkway that connects the
park through the woods and over to Hannaford’s Supermarket. But with a little help from the public, the restoration of the Loon Cove Railroad Station can be completed. According to Marty Cornelissen, a total of $2,500 is needed to finish the work inside the park and complete the walkway around the park.
Cornelissen has been involved with the park since its creation in 2004 when the
Downtown Revitalization Committee, which is no longer in existence, helped
create the railroad park. The Loon Cove station was one of 11 stops on the
railroad that ran through Alton and is one of only four still standing. Inside the station contains a waiting room, an agent’s room and a men’s and women’s bathroom. The Lake Shore line was abandoned in 1935, and the tracks were removed the same year. The Loon Cove station was boarded up until sometime
in the 1960s, when it moved a short distance to make way for improve-
ments along Route 11 and then modified for a residence. In 2005, it became vacant and was being vandalized heavily. In 2008, the building was donated to the town of Alton to be moved to the park behind the Alton Town Hall. In order to make the move in 2009, the top of the building was actually removed, which allowed the building to be moved without taking down power lines throughout
town. A tremendous amount of work has been put into the building in order to restore it back to its 1891 state. Additions have been removed, windows have been restored back to their original location, 1,000 pieces of missing slate roof have been donated by Doug Pellowe of Alton, who got them from a period building in Concord, tin work on the roof has been repaired and the building has received a coat of primer to seal it. All repairs and changes were based on the information
from the 1915 Boston & Maine revaluation and assessment field notes.
Cornellisen has been working with his brother Mike Cornellissen on the project of restoring the building. The Alton B&M Railroad Park was voted one of the
top 10 Little Adventure Parks for 2011 in New Hampshire by NH Magazine.
Anyone interested in making a donation to the project can send a check to:
Town of Alton Loon Cove Station Project, PO Box 659, 1 Monument Square, Alton,
NH 03809.
Tim Croes can be reached at tcroes@salmonpress.com

Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Slickcraft

Default July 2012 update

Here is a photo taken today, an amazing bit of work done by Marty plus his brother Mike and many others.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Tallyho (07-23-2012), Winnigirl (07-24-2012)