Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Broken Glass

Default Boat Ramp still open

Does anyone know if there are any boat ramps with open water on the southeast side of the lake? I am contemplating a visit to Rattlesnake if I can launch the boat today. Any information would be helpful.
Merry Christmas
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
sluggo

We just used the ramp the other day at minge cove to get out to rattlesnake. Had to break some ice up to get out then but I would say its clear now.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
We just used the ramp the other day at minge cove to get out to rattlesnake. Had to break some ice up to get out then but I would say its clear now.
Minge Cove is not a public ramp so it's possible there could be a locked chain blocking access. Marina members have a key to the lock.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

As far as I know, the one in Wolfeboro by the Libby Museum is always open. They use it in the winter for cars and snowmobiles.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass View Post
Does anyone know if there are any boat ramps with open water on the southeast side of the lake? I am contemplating a visit to Rattlesnake if I can launch the boat today. Any information would be helpful.
Merry Christmas
Did you make it out to the island?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Don't know but I took a trip over to Bear Island the day after Christmas by boat. The good news is the water is pretty high right now, about normal what it is during the summer where not so long ago it was really low.

Lots of debris down from the storm over Thanksgiving. Some big old branches came down, lots of saplings got broke, the trail down the post office is a mess. Will take some cleanup that's for sure. Still pretty weird to take the boat out so late in the year... late sun at the Bear Island Post Office 12/26/2014 followed by a sample pic of the tree carnage. You can't really see to well that as far as the eye can see there are trees down across the trail from all directions. Some pretty good sized. Next time I get out there I guess I'll bring my chain saw and start cleaning it up.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Don't know but I took a trip over to Bear Island the day after Christmas by boat. The good news is the water is pretty high right now, about normal what it is during the summer where not so long ago it was really low.

Lots of debris down from the storm over Thanksgiving. Some big old branches came down, lots of saplings got broke, the trail down the post office is a mess. Will take some cleanup that's for sure. Still pretty weird to take the boat out so late in the year... late sun at the Bear Island Post Office 12/26/2014 followed by a sample pic of the tree carnage. You can't really see to well that as far as the eye can see there are trees down across the trail from all directions. Some pretty good sized. Next time I get out there I guess I'll bring my chain saw and start cleaning it up.
Thanks Maxum. It looks like quite an adventure.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Let's just say boat traffic was light and parking at the ramp wasn't a problem.

Other than that fabulous day. I mean how can you beat hot dogs over the campfire at the camp the day after Christmas? Talk about living large... doesn't get much better than that!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Broken Glass

Default I did get out

I should have follwed up. I launched at the Rattlesnake Island Ramp with no problem. We were happy to get out for a couple of hours to look around. All is well out on the island so far. I was thinking of minge as that is where I keep my boat in summer but the landing is closer. We used a small boat for the trip over so we were looking for the closest launch possible. Can't wait for ice so I can get out on the four wheeler and get some work done!
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Lakegeezer

Default It ain't over...

This morning, the whole bay was open. Even though it was cold last night, the wind kept the ice from forming. Mid-morning, the wind calmed down and ice started forming in front of our eyes along the shore. Then, to our surprise, along came the first boat we've seen in weeks! If the wind is calm tonight, that was probably the last opportunity to boat in this part of the lake. It has been frozen and thawed three times now.
Attached Images