Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Knomad

Default Boat hauling

We are looking for some help moving a old 23' centerboard sailboat that is currently on blocks and jackstands in the backyard of a house in Meredith. It is a pretty tight spot to get in and out of. We have a trailer with bunks on it (that is meant for a 24' motor boat) that we were hoping to get it on so we could get it over to Tuftonboro so we can work on it.
I think the biggest problem is going to be to get it off the jackstands and on to the trailer. Any suggestions on someone who could help us or do it for us?
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
NightWing

I would suggest Fay's Boat Yard for anything to do with sailboats. It probably won't be cheap but they are fair with prices. They have the equipment and the knowledge.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
pmj

I second NightWing's suggestion. Fays Boatyard (www.faysboatyard.com) is, I believe, the only marina on the lake specializing in sailboats. They will have the know how and the equipment. Moving a 23 ft sailboat off jack stands is not something you should do without safety precautions in place. Also, a trailer designed for a motor boat might not be sufficient, first for the keel design and second for the weight.

Good luck and have fun working on your boat!
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
ApS

Lightbulb

Since you plan to work on your boat and have a trailer provided, you're really looking for DIY advice?

The boat arrived there on a trailer, presumably, so all you have to do is "undo" how it got there!

An old fiberglass sailboat is likely to be overbuilt, heavy, and probably even withstood a marginal storage arrangement.

If you can get another jackstand, and using two 2x10x10s (sizes depending), jack up the opposite (non-jackstand) side. Then you can slide the trailer most of the way under it. Use the newly-released jack stands to support the new 2x10s. Measure first to be sure that the 2x10s will clear the trailer's bunks when lowered!

If that's not possible, place a stack of smaller wood pieces to knock out from under the boat when finished lowering. Repeat for the stern.

I'm lucky to have a sturdy oak branch overhead, but in your case you'd need to rent a chain hoist if the boat's really heavy. A cable-winch won't be safe enough IMHO.

Good luck—and hey—take some pictures!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Winnipesaukee

Also be advised there may be water in the hull (the hull, not the cockpit) even if you pull the plug and drain it; the foam may be saturated with water and add hundreds of pounds.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Nomad...it's cost at lot of $$ if you call a boat yard.I live in Meredith and have a 4x4 .If you can figure out how to get it onto the trailer,I'd be glad to move it for you.Just send me a PM if you need help.Usually a couple of old yankees can figure anything out.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote