Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
jogator1

Default Recommended depth/fish finder with gps

Hello everyone. I'm headed up to the lake in 3 weeks for the month of July with a new pontoon boat. I live in South Florida and fish in the ocean. I am familiar with electronics that are best suited for my needs down here but need advice for the lake.

Can you recommend a quality depth/fish finder with gps for the lake? I want one with a good display and capable of accepting a c-map. I know some of the newer models have tremendous displays marking fish at considerable depths. I am interested in doing some deep trolling so I want to be able to mark fish between 60 and 150ft. Thank you once again for your time.
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Dave R

Far as I know, you are limited to either Standard Horizon or Navman, unless you don't mind spending some big Furuno money.

I would tend to think that the transducer selection is far more critical than the display selection with regards to resolution.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Knot Droolin'

Default Northstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Far as I know, you are limited to either Standard Horizon or Navman, unless you don't mind spending some big Furuno money.

I would tend to think that the transducer selection is far more critical than the display selection with regards to resolution.
I researched many and settled on the Northstar (Navman) 657. It has everything you are looking for and a 5" high resolution screen. Price was $650 with shipping and includes a transom mount transducer (dual freq, 50 & 200). Boatersland.com shipped quickly and had the best price. I was so happy with the unit that I also upgraded my VHF to a Northstar VHF. Now my VHF can talk to my GPS
Knot Droolin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
AC2717

Default Gps

I like the standard Horizon CP180i (i means internal antenna) Great color screen, accepts C-map chips which I woudl recommend the Bizier C-Map chip for the Lake and then you can buy the "black box" it is called fish finder that attaches to the model. They make a all in one unit but I would it was cheaper to buy them separately especially since i was not sure if I wanted the fish finder unit, still have not purchased that part yet but the GPS system is great
AC2717 is online now   Reply With Quote