Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
camp guy

Default Handicap docking spaces for boats

At the risk of wading into dangerous waters, and, certainly, not wanting to offend anyone, does anyone know what's up with the handicap docking spaces in Wolfeboro. Is this an extension of the ADA ? Saturday there were many boats milling around waiting to dock in Wolfeboro and at the same time most of one whole finger pier was empty due to a Handicap parking sign affixed to the pier.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Pineedles

Default ADA Parking

Being the type that will jump right into a controversial subject, I hope you don't see someone dock in the Handicap spot and hop out of their boat like I see many automobile drivers parking in H spots with the proper sticker, but with no discernible handicap. It doesn't take much to get a doctor to write a note to get one of these stickers. With all the abuse, I wonder how often a truly handicapped person doesn't have a spot to park?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
White Rook
Deceased Member

OK, I'll jump in. As someone who is a longtime boater and is also disabled, I'm glad to see something like this. I also have a handicap plate for my motorcycle. The whole purpose is to allow those like myself that are genuinely disabled to still participate socially in both work and play with the least amount of discomfort and expenditure of energy. There are many factors that make someone disabled and it's not restricted to being wheel chair bound. Are there any other docking areas on the lake that have handicap docking spots?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Pineedles

Default Disabled

White Rook, I didn't mean to imply that someone who is truly disabled is only in a wheelchair. However, I know by personal experience that my son's orthopedic surgeon offered a letter to him after an ACL operation. My son refused saying he was perfectly capable of mobility. I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that many people do accept, for probably as little as being too fat or for swollen ankles. I do support the ADA, and wonder if there are spots at the Center Harbor docks. I'll check it out next time I'm up there.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Cal

Maybe I'm missing something here or just unsympathetic but if someone can get on and off a boat and from the end of a dock (on land) to a store or restaurant , it doesn't seem like a handicapped dock space would make much difference.
Automotive handicapped spots are wider to accomodate vans with lift gates for wheel chairs. The only one I've ever seen like that was a flat bowed john boat with an aluminum ramp and it had to be nosed into the dock. and not parallel.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Kamper

I once used a tempotary handi-cap tag due to a legitimate need. It was incredibly frustrating to sometimes get to my office and have to hobble across ice or snow to get in the building because all the spots were filled by people I knew. I was told there was no "good" or even less dangerous way to fall... If you dont have a need for a handicap space please dont use one even if you are operating a vehicle with a legal tag.

On the other side if the coin, my father had a service related permanent disability. Some days he could go quite a ways before needing to sit down and other days less far. It was usualy not obvious that he was legally handi-capped.

I bring up the example of my father to discourage folks from making a judgement and taking any acton on their own. If you believe a handi-cap space is being abused you should report it to the authorities. The cops can investigate the situation and take any action appropriate.

Thank you!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
wires1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Maybe I'm missing something here or just unsympathetic but if someone can get on and off a boat and from the end of a dock (on land) to a store or restaurant , it doesn't seem like a handicapped dock space would make much difference.
Automotive handicapped spots are wider to accomodate vans with lift gates for wheel chairs. The only one I've ever seen like that was a flat bowed john boat with an aluminum ramp and it had to be nosed into the dock. and not parallel.
I think I'm missing something too. What is the difference in these docks? I've never seen them so I honestly don't know how they work. Is there someone there to help them get on or off. I completely understand and obey the handicap parking restrictions but can't imagine how this works for boats. Are they posted anywhere else on the lake? Confused
wires1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
wires1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook
OK, I'll jump in. As someone who is a longtime boater and is also disabled, I'm glad to see something like this. I also have a handicap plate for my motorcycle. The whole purpose is to allow those like myself that are genuinely disabled to still participate socially in both work and play with the least amount of discomfort and expenditure of energy. There are many factors that make someone disabled and it's not restricted to being wheel chair bound. Are there any other docking areas on the lake that have handicap docking spots?
I understand parking spaces and ramps, but why do you need a dock? Is it different in some way or is it provided just so you don't have to wait like the rest of us? The purpose you mention, seems to me, to grant you some kind of preferential treatment. None of us waiting for a place to dock likes to be uncomfortable and waste unnecessary energy. What is your disability that requires you to have a spot before anyone else?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Things arn't always as they aprear...

I have handicap plates and for the most part I don't need them, however, there are times I do. I have a degerterative nerve problem that gets worse at the most inopportune times... If you watch me jump out of my truck walk briskly into the store, you'd think I'm abusing the privilege, but after just a few minutes of walking, I'm in trouble and may not get back to my tuck without several rest breaks.

There is something about being big burly guy that makes me think I'm invincible, but the reality is I’m not any more. I fall quite often and I know I should bring my cane with me all the time, but I just can't seem get it to through my head that I may need it.

I had to cut short my holiday this weekend, because the one dive I did looking for a friend's glasses and service to another mooring triggered an attack and I had to be helped home, where I sat out the whole day recovering. I know my diving days are numbered, but I’m not giving up… Yet!

Now to the point: Would I park in a handicap boat spot? No. However, now that I am one of the handicap, I sincerely hope someone can make use of it and it helps them enjoy the lake.

Remember, things aren’t always as they appear.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
wildwoodfam

Default Do they make Handicap Tags for boats??

I am not saying that I am against the practice of this - I just have never heard of this before.

Something sounds weird about handicap boat docks.

There are too many questions about this. Which dock is more accessible for a handicap person? How many docks are required to be handicap docks - there is a formula used for parking lots - do they use the same for docks? Would love to see further commentary on this - its intriguing.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
secondcurve

Default A Better Way

My take on the subject is that there is most probably a need for handicapped docking. However, as the original poster noted, the majority of one finger peir was designated as handicapped! Certainly too much space by from my standpoint. Perhaps a better way to approach the problem would be for there to be a designation on a handicapped boat that would let them move to the front of the waiting line?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 AM   #12
Rinkerguy

Default Handicap Dock ???

I too was at Wolfboro over the weekend, and did notice the Handicaped sign

There was one located in the middle of the dock, and another at the right end.

I was confused as to weather the whole dock, both sides, was designated as Handicapped or just the spot located nearest land.

Can anyone clearify the issue ???
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #13
ApS

Lightbulb Needs paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
"...as the original poster noted, the majority of one finger peir was designated as handicapped! Certainly too much space by from my standpoint..."
Wolfeboro needs to paint the intended portion of the dock blue, to correspond with the usual handicapped space designations seen.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 AM   #14
Phantom

Rinkerguy -- I had the EXACT same dilemna !!!

Someone (in the know) Please Clarify
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default On second thought...

Who do I see for getting handicap plates for my boat?

No, seriously would I have a handicap placard on to hang on my review mirror or plates I could screw in to the hull or would I replace the Jolly Roger with the Jolly Roger in a wheel chair banner and fly it from the port spreader???

Can I get handicap plates for my Yaks too? Maybe a handicap dive flag as well. That’s it… I’ve got to modify my boat… I’m throwing out the sails and use the mast a boom as a derrick to get me out of the water and on and off the boat at the town docks… Someone got to make use of those unused spots at the town docks… Now, if I could just think of a reason to want to go there.

Isn't it great to be associated with such a progressive town... Now, if they would just let a McDonalds in or maybe a cell tower... We'd be styling.

Last edited by Winnipesaukee Divers; 05-29-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Here's The Deal

Glad to hear we weren’t the only ones confused by the sign.

I just spoke with Dave Owen, the Town Manager of Wolfeboro and got some clarification and gave him some feedback. From what I understand, the town was trying to do the right thing by supplying handicap boaters with dock access; there are several islanders, which are handicapped that use the Wolfeboro town docks. The State Disability Commission chose which dock should be designated to have the handicap access sign. I explained that the sign was very confusing and he understands it should be made to be clearer.

Basically at this point anyone can dock anywhere. He did say that we should leave a space for a truly handicap person. I brought up the idea that designating some spots closer to land or the parking lot for someone with a disability might be better than the dock they chose, making it very clear which spots those are. At this point, if you are handicap, this sign really doesn’t help you. You will have to wait just like the rest of us for a spot that would be best for you. There are no “official” handicap permits. So far anyway and there will be no tickets given out to violators at this time.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
Phantom

Well, like Winni divers, I had second thoughts too --- and thankfully Rattlesnake Gal you talked DIRECTLY to the source and appears it was/is a noble jesture that just needs a little more refining (perhaps clearly designating one side).
Old 05-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
wires1999

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
My take on the subject is that there is most probably a need for handicapped docking. However, as the original poster noted, the majority of one finger pier was designated as handicapped! Certainly too much space by from my standpoint. Perhaps a better way to approach the problem would be for there to be a designation on a handicapped boat that would let them move to the front of the waiting line?
Front of the waiting line? Why? That practice would surely be abused, I'm sure.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #19
White Rook
Deceased Member

Quote:

A couple of individuals balked at the idea of handicap docking spaces. Here's my own personal view. I had assumed that the handicap docking space would be the closest to the parking lot. I don't expect to have a "wait priority" over someone else who's waiting for a docking space and arrived before I did. Once docked, I can hold one of the dock uprights while my wife gets out and ties up the boat.

With caution and planning, I can manage to get in and out of the boat and then rest a minute on the dock before walking away. I can walk short distances before having to stop and rest. At Wolfeboro for example, the shortest walk from the docking space to the parking lot would be very beneficial to me.

Since becoming disabled a few years ago, I have been blessed with individuals at docks rushing over to help if for example, the water is rough and we're having difficulty tieing up the boat or leaving the dock and a little bit of help is needed. At the marina, several individuals go out of their way to help me carry persoanl belongings down the dock.

God willing, a medical procedure I'm scheduled for over the next six months will help me be stronger and more independent. That's about all I have to say on a post that I somewhat regret originally responding to.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
Pineedles

Default White Rook

Don't regret your response. These issues have to be talked about. I would imagine that most of us have very little personal information as to what the ADA is all about. Having someone like yourself post as you have, gives us all more information. And I've never heard of more information being detrimental.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default Handicap space

My objection to handicap spaces is that all too often they are used by people who are overeaters. I know of three people that have the handicap signs only because they are so big, that walking is a problem. Don't get me wrong, I also have a weight problem, but not one of them signs. For those people they should have to park farther from their destinations and could use the walk.

Now for the boats, I think if the boat deck is not level with the pier they are gonna have trouble no matter what. For the truley handicaped I would think a floating dock would be better for them. And how do you know one boat that is hancicaped from another? Simple put another decal on the bow! And a big blue H on the stern.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #22
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
Don't regret your response. These issues have to be talked about. I would imagine that most of us have very little personal information as to what the ADA is all about. Having someone like yourself post as you have, gives us all more information. And I've never heard of more information being detrimental.

Thank you for your response. By the way, I'm 5' 9", 171 LBS. Walking is an issue because of respiratory problems requiring the use of supplemental O2. In spite of that, I try to lead a productive and self reliant life.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
GTO

Default my turn

Quote:
A couple of individuals balked at the idea of handicap docking spaces. Here's my own personal view. I had assumed that the handicap docking space would be the closest to the parking lot. I don't expect to have a "wait priority" over someone else who's waiting for a docking space and arrived before I did. Once docked, I can hold one of the dock uprights while my wife gets out and ties up the boat.

With caution and planning, I can manage to get in and out of the boat and then rest a minute on the dock before walking away. I can walk short distances before having to stop and rest. At Wolfeboro for example, the shortest walk from the docking space to the parking lot would be very beneficial to me.

Since becoming disabled a few years ago, I have been blessed with individuals at docks rushing over to help if for example, the water is rough and we're having difficulty tieing up the boat or leaving the dock and a little bit of help is needed. At the marina, several individuals go out of their way to help me carry persoanl belongings down the dock.

God willing, a medical procedure I'm scheduled for over the next six months will help me be stronger and more independent. That's about all I have to say on a post that I somewhat regret originally responding to.

The docks aren't that long in Wolfboro. I'm sure if you parked at the very begining of the dock near the parking lot, you wouldn't look out at the end of the dock and say, "man, I'm glad I didn't have to park all the way out there and have to walk in". And I for one, don't want to come over to Wolfboro on the weekend and have to wait for a spot while there are 3-4 empty handicap spots.
And no, I'm not one of those people that parks in handicap spots at the mall so don't even start. I just don't think the lake and docks is the right place for handicap parking. How has the lake survived these past hundreds of years without them? My point!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #24
Woodsy

I really have no problem with handicap spaces, with the exception of one issue that hasn't been discussed... boat size! Parking spots for cars are pretty standard in width and length and the number of handicap spots is determined by the overall number of normal parking spots. Boats are completely different in that there is no uniform size... Given the limited amount of public dock space, one has to be concerned about how much is set aside for handicap parking. 19'? 26'? 50'? What if one 50' cruiser takes up all of the available handicap space??

It just seems to me that its a good idea that has the potential to go really bad...

Woodsy
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #25
Knot Droolin'

Default Disabled Vets

I think handicaped dock spaces is a great idea and I would just like to point out that the number of disabled, yet vibrant young people is skyrocketing with the number of casualties from this war. I am sure some of these brave folks will find boating a great past time and if we all have to wait a little longer for a space to help them out, so be it! God bless them, especially the US Cavalry.

http://www.dav.org/
Knot Droolin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #26
Pineedles

Default Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
What if one 50' cruiser takes up all of the available handicap space??

It just seems to me that its a good idea that has the potential to go really bad...

Woodsy
If all the H spaces are taken up with one vessel ,then there will be no more H spaces. What's the problem with that? Do you resent the ADA, or the potenial that some H stickered boats won't have a parking space?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #27
Mee-n-Mac

Question Is that better

Quote:

With caution and planning, I can manage to get in and out of the boat and then rest a minute on the dock before walking away. I can walk short distances before having to stop and rest. At Wolfeboro for example, the shortest walk from the docking space to the parking lot would be very beneficial to me. {snip}
Is the closest (to the lot) the best ? I can see where not walking the length of the dock is an advantage but in windy weather having to navigate the narrow passage between already docked boats might not be desirable. Nothing stops you from waiting for a better slip but that tends to mitigate the advantage of the handicap slip. Moreover once off the boat it'll be a fair distance to wherever you're going that I wonder if the "savings" on the dock are significant ?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #28
Pineedles

Default All

The issue, IMHO is not the maneuvers for docking, but rather the distance to be traveled once ashore and ambulatory. I believe the Cappy should be just as qualified and proficient as a non disabled Cappy. Otherwise, no boating license! And yes, I know there is no "piloting" test for becoming a Cappy on the lake. Give it time they, (the gov't) will come.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 AM   #29
Woodsy

Quote:
If all the H spaces are taken up with one vessel ,then there will be no more H spaces. What's the problem with that? Do you resent the ADA, or the potenial that some H stickered boats won't have a parking space?
Pineneedles...

I don't resent the ADA at all... I was just pointing out a potential flaw that nobody was discussing.

Woodsy
Old 06-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #30
MJM

Quote:
The issue, IMHO is not the maneuvers for docking, but rather the distance to be traveled once ashore and ambulatory. I believe the Cappy should be just as qualified and proficient as a non disabled Cappy. Otherwise, no boating license! And yes, I know there is no "piloting" test for becoming a Cappy on the lake. Give it time they, (the gov't) will come.

Totally agree. If a physical disability is extensive enough to limit boating abilities, then (unfortunately) the person should not be driving a boat. In order to drive a car, regardless of disability, you still have to be physically able to drive safely.

So I still don't get it. The dock is no different. There is no lift, or special ramp or anything. So what difference to the handicapped boater does designating a certain dock do?
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #31
White Rook
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM
Totally agree. If a physical disability is extensive enough to limit boating abilities, then (unfortunately) the person should not be driving a boat. In order to drive a car, regardless of disability, you still have to be physically able to drive safely.

So I still don't get it. The dock is no different. There is no lift, or special ramp or anything. So what difference to the handicapped boater does designating a certain dock do?

From May 30 reply:

Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #32
White Rook
Deceased Member

Quote:
From May 30 reply:

I should have added:

"Assuming of course that the H docking space is closer or the closest to the parking lot.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #33
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM

So I still don't get it.
What if:

The disabled person were a passenger or is that not allowed, in your mind?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #34
MJM

Quote:
I should have added:

"Assuming of course that the H docking space is closer or the closest to the parking lot.

Exactly - and it is not. It is the dock that's the furthest to the right as you're looking at the dock from the water. In terms of the parking lot, it is the furthest dock away.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #35
Rattlesnake Guy

Default An honest attempt to do the right thing

This weekend I took the family to the town dock and made what I think was the best decision I could. The docks were about 80 percent full during our early morning visit. The H dock was sitting there with 8 open spots looking very lonely and odly far from town. I decided to make a calculated compromise. My family and I would take the spot on the H dock that is farthest from town. This would give the closer spaces on the other fingers to someone in need of a shorter walk. I will admit I was uneasy walking by two elderly couples sitting on the grass at the gazebo. I had my questionable logic and reasoning ready to explain to anyone who would question us. No one did.

I am also confused on the actual advantage of the H dock. The confusing sinage coupled with the location make it a no win situation.

I am not sure if I will continue to park in these unused spots but I hope if you see an able bodied person spring from their boat and walk easily to town from these distant sapces you will know that at least some of them may have given it some consierable thought.

Perhaps a few spots with actual technical advantage for those needing an easier docking experience will replace this first pass at trying to do something helpful.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #36
MJM

Can someone provide an email address where an inquiry can be sent regarding this? Town Manager? Harbor Master? I'm not even sure who to contact!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #37
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Wolfeboro Town Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM
Can someone provide an email address where an inquiry can be sent regarding this? Town Manager? Harbor Master? I'm not even sure who to contact!
Contact
David W. Owen, Town Manager
wolftmsec@metrocast.net
via Anne Marble, Secretary

Wolfeboro Town Office
84 South Main Street
Wolfeboro, NH 03894

Telephone
(603) 569-8161

Fax
(603) 569-8167

Office Hours
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Monday - Friday

In case you miss my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Glad to hear we weren’t the only ones confused by the sign.

I just spoke with Dave Owen, the Town Manager of Wolfeboro and got some clarification and gave him some feedback. From what I understand, the town was trying to do the right thing by supplying handicap boaters with dock access; there are several islanders, which are handicapped that use the Wolfeboro town docks. The State Disability Commission chose which dock should be designated to have the handicap access sign. I explained that the sign was very confusing and he understands it should be made to be clearer.

Basically at this point anyone can dock anywhere. He did say that we should leave a space for a truly handicap person. I brought up the idea that designating some spots closer to land or the parking lot for someone with a disability might be better than the dock they chose, making it very clear which spots those are. At this point, if you are handicap, this sign really doesn’t help you. You will have to wait just like the rest of us for a spot that would be best for you. There are no “official” handicap permits. So far anyway and there will be no tickets given out to violators at this time.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #38
beaner

I've gotta agree with Cal on this one. It seems to me that the new handicap docking spaces will only make a bad situation at the town docks worse. Who is responsible for enforcing the new Handicapped docking spaces... Marine patrol? Town of Wolfeboro parking fairies? Do they ever bother enforcing the existing time limits for docking?
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #39
Islander

Next time I'm there I am parking in these spaces.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote