Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
motionxxusxx

Default Garmin LakeVue Ultra Maps

We are looking to pick up a garmin 53DV echomap for our boat. We plan to purchase the lakevue ultra maps. Does anyone have experience with these maps? Are all bouys marked? How's the autorouting? I've got some positive feedback on the maps from a few people on this board. Currently I'm just using my iPhone with navionics+. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
motionxxusxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionxxusxx View Post
We are looking to pick up a garmin 53DV echomap for our boat. We plan to purchase the lakevue ultra maps. Does anyone have experience with these maps? Are all bouys marked? How's the autorouting? I've got some positive feedback on the maps from a few people on this board. Currently I'm just using my iPhone with navionics+. Thanks for any info.

The maps are very good.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Dave R

I just bought a 741XS that came loaded with LakeVu standard charts last month. If yours does too, try them before you drop coin on the ultra. The standard LakeVu charts are excellent and show the preferred route around the markers, so auto routing is not really needed. Also, if the 53DV is anything like my 741XS, creating a route on it is incredibly easy and intuitive. I made some 100+ mile routes on mine in about 5 minutes. You just pick a destination on the chart, click "route to" and it draws a straight line from your boat to that point. You then simply drag the straight line around obstacles and add turns, working from the destination back to your boat. I cannot think of a route on Winni that would take more than 2 or 3 minutes to create.

Regarding missing markers, the red topped spar at Umbrella Point is not on the LakeVu chart. That's the only one I've noticed missing. Two other things to note, if there's an FL, LakeVu does not show the corresponding spar with it on my GPS, but that might be due to the level of detail setting I use. LakeVu does not show rocks like the Bizer chart. You must be very careful exploring the wrong side of markers with LakeVu. This is a non-issue for me.
Dave R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
motionxxusxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I just bought a 741XS that came loaded with LakeVu standard charts last month. If yours does too, try them before you drop coin on the ultra. The standard LakeVu charts are excellent and show the preferred route around the markers, so auto routing is not really needed. Also, if the 53DV is anything like my 741XS, creating a route on it is incredibly easy and intuitive. I made some 100+ mile routes on mine in about 5 minutes. You just pick a destination on the chart, click "route to" and it draws a straight line from your boat to that point. You then simply drag the straight line around obstacles and add turns, working from the destination back to your boat. I cannot think of a route on Winni that would take more than 2 or 3 minutes to create.

Regarding missing markers, the red topped spar at Umbrella Point is not on the LakeVu chart. That's the only one I've noticed missing. Two other things to note, if there's an FL, LakeVu does not show the corresponding spar with it on my GPS, but that might be due to the level of detail setting I use. LakeVu does not show rocks like the Bizer chart. You must be very careful exploring the wrong side of markers with LakeVu. This is a non-issue for me.

That's great to know. I'm curious if the lakeVu ultra shows the rocks like Bizer. I know navionics + shows the rocks. Anybody know?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
That's great to know. I'm curious if the lakeVu ultra shows the rocks like Bizer. I know navionics + shows the rocks. Anybody know?

I use both--since the Bizer map doesn't show rocks within 150 feet of shore, there's very, very few places that it matters.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Rattletrap

Default Garmin

I have that exact set up. Still new to boating but, I've only seen one or two markers that weren't on it...sorry don't remember where they were. The Auto Guidance works really well there are a few places it will avoid like the GI bridge for height restrictions. But being that we've been all over the lake and I still have all my prop blades attached I'd say it works excellent especially if your new to the lake. I really liked the compass feature which gives true E/W N/S in relation to your heading.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
I have that exact set up. Still new to boating but, I've only seen one or two markers that weren't on it...sorry don't remember where they were. The Auto Guidance works really well there are a few places it will avoid like the GI bridge for height restrictions. But being that we've been all over the lake and I still have all my prop blades attached I'd say it works excellent especially if your new to the lake. I really liked the compass feature which gives true E/W N/S in relation to your heading.
You should be able to adjust your boat's air draft in the GPS settings so that it will allow routes to pass under bridges that you can fit under.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
DesertDweller

Might just want to try the unit with the standard built in maps first and see if that is sufficient. I have the Ultra chip but have only tinkered with it as I find the standard stuff to be sufficient for what I do. With that said, you can get the Ultra chips for $130 or so now a days.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Rattletrap

Default Motionxxusxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
Might just want to try the unit with the standard built in maps first and see if that is sufficient. I have the Ultra chip but have only tinkered with it as I find the standard stuff to be sufficient for what I do. With that said, you can get the Ultra chips for $130 or so now a days.
FYI The Auto Guidance will only work with the upgraded maps
Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
DesertDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
FYI The Auto Guidance will only work with the upgraded maps
Yep. The Ultra chip also has a bunch of other enhancements as well such as dynamic lake level, high resolution shading, and enhanced sonar images.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
motionxxusxx

Default Garmin LakeVue Ultra Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
Yep. The Ultra chip also has a bunch of other enhancements as well such as dynamic lake level, high resolution shading, and enhanced sonar images.

I noticed that if I try autorouting with navionics + from smith point to 19 mile bay it very often can't find a route and takes you over land. Can the garmin find a auto route? We are on the northeast side of the lake near Smith Point. Lots of rocks around here.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
Rattletrap

Quote:
I noticed that if I try autorouting with navionics + from smith point to 19 mile bay it very often can't find a route and takes you over land. Can the garmin find a auto route? We are on the northeast side of the lake near Smith Point. Lots of rocks around here.

Yes it can but even when I do use it. I still make sure I'm on the right side of the buoys .....using the "compass tape" on the GPS
Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #13
Phantom

It's great that you all can plug in a route and the GPS will "Auto Guide" you ..... makes me feel a lot safer that you all know where your truly going, Know the names of the Islands & landmarks your passing and understand Navigating the Lake !!

But where are you when the GPS craps out for some unexplained reason and your on the opposite side of the Lake at the end of one of your "Auto Guided" tours with your chart upside down in your hands trying to figure out where the heck am I and what exactly was that route back the GPS was gonna take me?

Sorry guys -- too much reliance on electronics for me ....... although I do have & love my GPS, it is used 99% of the time at night and this is as a secondary comfort that I am where I think I am.

As anyone who regularly "night rides" knows .... some moonless nights can get pretty BLACK out there and the Islands all blend together as one with no discernible passage. Ever stare at a Floating Light, off in the distance, so long that your eys go blurry trying to maintain steerage towards it? In those cases -- I admit -- the GPS is a welcome addition to my boat .......... my wife clearly feels better too and we all know the phrase -- Happy wife, ....

As an "Old Fart" on the lake ... having boated here more than 35 yrs .... I simply think people should pick their head up, look around, enjoy the beauty and as Capt. .....LEARN the lake visually. Before you know it, you'll be anticipating the red top or black top having them all subconsciously logged and filed in your head (the best GPS of all)!!

Last edited by Phantom; 06-09-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
It's great that you all can plug in a route and the GPS will "Auto Guide" you ..... makes me feel a lot safer that you all know where your truly going, Know the names of the Islands & landmarks your passing and understand Navigating the Lake !!

But where are you when the GPS craps out for some unexplained reason and your on the opposite side of the Lake at the end of one of your "Auto Guided" tours with your chart upside down in your hands trying to figure out where the heck am I and what exactly was that route back the GPS was gonna take me?

Three weeks ago, I started the second day of a 400 mile, one-way cruise on unfamiliar waters with a chart plotter that had suddenly quit working. I was really glad that I had purchased paper charts and had them out and ready to use. That said, I used the paper charts to navigate to a port that had a store that sold chart plotters where I promptly exercised my credit card and roughly doubled the cost of my vacation. It's awesome to be able to navigate with paper charts, but it's vastly safer, easier and less stressful to use GPS. I use my boat solely for pleasure. Anything I can do to make it more pleasurable is a plus. I was really glad I had all the tools and supplies required to install a new chart plotter, already on board. The purchase and installation only absorbed a couple of hours at the most.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #15
motionxxusxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

Sorry guys -- too much reliance on electronics for me ....... although I do have & love my GPS, it is used 99% of the time at night and this is as a secondary comfort that I am where I think I am.

As anyone who regularly "night rides" knows .... some moonless nights can get pretty BLACK out there and the Islands all blend together as one with no discernible passage. Ever stare at a Floating Light, off in the distance, so long that your eys go blurry trying to maintain steerage towards it? In those cases -- I admit -- the GPS is a welcome addition to my boat .......... my wife clearly feels better too and we all know the phrase -- Happy wife, ....

As an "Old Fart" on the lake ... having boated here more than 35 yrs .... I simply think people should pick their head up, look around, enjoy the beauty and as Capt. .....LEARN the lake visually. Before you know it, you'll be anticipating the red top or black top having them all subconsciously logged and filed in your head (the best GPS of all)!!

Got my laminated Bizer map right next to me at all times.