Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Hillcountry

Default April boating with a trailered I/O

I know there are "no stupid questions" but here's one anyway...
Brand new to the I/O world of boats...
This time of year is there any "freeze" danger in using my new TRAILERED I/O Bowrider on nice days and trailering it home to sit in my driveway until the next outing without draining the block after each use?
The salesman at the marina had the block drained after our shakedown cruise and before we left with the boat to take it home.
So, it is "basically" winterized and sitting in my yard. What are the chances the water left in the motor will do damage by freezing if I take it out for a cruise then trailer home?
Is it necessary to drain the block after each outing in April?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Outdoorsman

Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Being "trailered" has no effect one way or the other.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #3
jeffk

Yes, there IS a danger and the cost of replacing an cracked engine block is $$OUCH.

My boat is in for maintenance and part of that process is a test drive. The initial work was done weeks ago but the water test drive wasn't done until yesterday because of the risk of freezing or the expense of re-winterizing it after the test.

Why now? Because the 10 day forecast is all above freezing and by the end of the month the average daily low is well above freezing (37). Even the record lows from that point are not a HARD freeze, only 29 or above. The engine block would retain heat and a mild and short duration of freezing air would not be enough to freeze the block.

Also, I suspect the risk is greater for a boat sitting on a trailer (like mine also) than in the water. The lake temperature is around 40. Any boat sitting in it is going to have a hard time getting to freezing. A boat on a trailer is surrounded by the air which if cold enough will cause the boat to freeze as well.

For YOUR situation, if you are parking the boat around the lake or further south you could probably put it in from this point on. If parked further north, maybe soon. Check the weather records for your area. On the other hand, to be perfectly safe and not risk $10,000+ for a engine for your new boat, you might want to wait a couple more weeks and then look at the 10 day forecast for your home.

I'm feeling pretty safe for right here because the marina is quite experienced with this issue and if they are comfortable, so am I. However, I did double check them.

BTW, NOT a stupid question at all.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
jeffk

Default Addendum

Also, if you put it in and were surprised by an unexpected hard freeze, you could probably put a tarp over the back of the boat to the ground and put a 100 watt light (not a CFL) under it to keep it a bit warmer.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Being "trailered" has no effect one way or the other.
True but a boat's engine compartment stays warmer sitting in the water than in open air. I second the drop light, but would put it in the engine compartment.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #6
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
True but a boat's engine compartment stays warmer sitting in the water than in open air. I second the drop light, but would put it in the engine compartment.
RE: light, I would worry about gas fumes in the closed engine compartment. I figure slightly warmer air under the boat should keep things OK on a night that drops to 25 for a few hours.

If you wanted to get fancy you could even get one of those infrared lamps like they have in bathrooms. That would keep things toasty.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I answered your statement before I read the later answers which confirmed the fact that a boat in the water would have less chance of freezing.

The salesman where I purchased the boat said that "actually, a boat left in the water stays somewhat insulated from the surrounding colder air" being that the water temperature is nearer to 40 degrees.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Yes, there IS a danger and the cost of replacing an cracked engine block is $$OUCH.

My boat is in for maintenance and part of that process is a test drive. The initial work was done weeks ago but the water test drive wasn't done until yesterday because of the risk of freezing or the expense of re-winterizing it after the test.

Why now? Because the 10 day forecast is all above freezing and by the end of the month the average daily low is well above freezing (37). Even the record lows from that point are not a HARD freeze, only 29 or above. The engine block would retain heat and a mild and short duration of freezing air would not be enough to freeze the block.

Also, I suspect the risk is greater for a boat sitting on a trailer (like mine also) than in the water. The lake temperature is around 40. Any boat sitting in it is going to have a hard time getting to freezing. A boat on a trailer is surrounded by the air which if cold enough will cause the boat to freeze as well.

For YOUR situation, if you are parking the boat around the lake or further south you could probably put it in from this point on. If parked further north, maybe soon. Check the weather records for your area. On the other hand, to be perfectly safe and not risk $10,000+ for a engine for your new boat, you might want to wait a couple more weeks and then look at the 10 day forecast for your home.

I'm feeling pretty safe for right here because the marina is quite experienced with this issue and if they are comfortable, so am I. However, I did double check them.

BTW, NOT a stupid question at all.
Thank you for the knowledgeable, answer to my question.
I live West of the big lake and at a few hundred feet higher elevation and I watch the temperature drop each time I drive up from the main road (route 3A) to my house...usually several degrees and sometimes as much as 8-10 degrees.
The temperature has been below freezing the last few nights here and the even though the extended forecast has temps generally, in the above freezing category, I do believe that it will be lower at my elevation.

I think, in the interest of not doing any harm to my new boat's motor, I will wait a couple more weeks to take her out even though the temptation is great, especially with a couple of 60-70 degree days (today and Sunday) in the making.
As much as I want to go cruising and fishing, I think I'll wait based on your knowledge and experience.

Thanks again! Great forum here!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
RE: light, I would worry about gas fumes in the closed engine compartment. I figure slightly warmer air under the boat should keep things OK on a night that drops to 25 for a few hours.

If you wanted to get fancy you could even get one of those infrared lamps like they have in bathrooms. That would keep things toasty.
Yup...thought of that too...we have a garage that would accommodate the boat and trailer (folding tongue) and I did think about a light bulb in the engine compartment with perhaps a small fan to move the air around.
That said, I guess the next question would be "would a light bulb be dangerous in the boat rather than beneath it? Ahhh...decisions,decisions...
Old 04-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
jeffk

If you put the boat in a closed garage I doubt it would get down to freezing inside with the lowest temps, even in your area probably around 28. In that type of situation you could put a small space heater with a fan blowing under the boat and it would be plenty warm but again, I doubt you would need it.

Next year, having got past new boat fever, you will probably be more willing to wait for warmer temps.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

My attached garage almost never gets below freezing--we've had one frozen puddle in ten years, and that was in a super frigid January.

I'd be in the water tomorrow!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
dpg

I assume you don't have a garage it'll fit in? If so just put it in there.....
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I assume you don't have a garage it'll fit in? If so just put it in there.....
I do have a garage and if I take it out early I'll back it in there...thanks!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

The other thing to consider is it may dip below freezing but not for an extended period of time. Remember that it takes a while to get the temperature of the water cold enough to freeze even if the ambient air temps are below freezing.

At this point I would not at all be terribly concerned about it. Not unless we were to get a cold snap where temps were staying at or below freezing for a couple of days.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Good point. I never considered that water temp. would be a factor when the boat is sitting in the water. Thank you for the insight.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-18-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #16
dpg

If you have a garage you can utilize your out of the woods now, go for it...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-19-2016)