Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Pricestavern

Default Weather This Weekend?

Could someone fill me in on what the local weather is expected to bring this weekend? We're headin' up from NY and don't know what kind of clothes to bring.

Thanks!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Jonas Pilot

Default As of 9:54 am Friday ...

... partly cloudy Saturday and Sunday. High mid 70s Sat. and low 60s Sun. Low 50s at night. (Intellicast).

Check the Black Cat Island weather center on the home page winnipesaukee.com
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Pricestavern (09-24-2010)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Windy!

It's supposed to be VERY windy on Saturday!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Pricestavern (09-24-2010)
Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
chipj29

This time of year, I would bring both warm and cold weather clothes. This weekend shouldn't be too chilly during the day, but with a breeze, it might feel that way.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Pricestavern

Default Windy Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan

Thanks all for your prognostications! As long as the wind calms down by Sunday noontime, we'll be alright for our return to mainland. Not a fan of running the Broads when they've got their dander up.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Jonas Pilot

Pricestavern said, "Thanks all for your prognostications!"

Hey! Watch your language. This is a family site.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

Wish I could tell you better about wind tomorrow, but The Broads will probably be rough tomorrow. There's a USA pattern change coming this weekend, with cold front now approaching us from the Great Lakes where storm warnings are now posted for ship-sinking weather on Lake Superior. Gale warnings for Lake Michigan. High wind warnings for the upper peninsula of Michigan. Lower Michigan along with parts of Ohio and northwestern Pennsylvania have wind advisories for tomorrow.

That's to the west of us... and it's moving east. It won't be as windy where we are, but the winds will be picking up quite a bit. 20 mph sustained wind in the middle of the lake tomorrow is not out of the question.

The National Weather Service forecast for Lake Winnipesaukee is on the Lake Winnipesaukee WeatherCam's newly-redesigned site. On the main navigation bar, click on "Forecast." For more information, explore the sidebar links.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
CGI3

A few days of rain would be nice. I re-seeded my lawn last week, assuming we would finally get some rain, but to no avail! I had to water every single day, and I see no REAL rain in sight. We need it bad. I'm afraid my well might run dry. I am honestly getting sick of all this "beautiful" weather we have had over the past 5 months. Bring on the rain!!
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
ApS

Wink Whether It Is Better to Stay Ashore—or Go Whither, to Challenge the Weather?

"Twenty", you say???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
On Saturday morning's gentle breezes, I went for a nice sail—but stayed close to home base.

As the wind gradually increased, I headed in—just as two sailboats bravely headed out to The Broads.

The Santana-22 promptly turned to a windward shore (but in the lee of the shoreline) to swap a "working" sail for one that had just proved too large for such winds. A JY-15 also headed out to The Broads, and I wished him a silent "good luck out there". Both were experienced skippers, based on having seen them out in challenging conditions this year.

Less than 10 minutes later, both boats returned into sight—but only one was upright!

The JY-15 first resisted righting into the strong wind—then "turned-turtle". After about 15-minutes, the JY-15 managed to right itself—then took off with nobody aboard! The now-tired skipper managed to snag the transom as it went by, but being dragged briskly, was unable to pull himself aboard.

The Santana, now under power, managed to corral the JY-15 after a "drag" of two hundred yards. (Whew!)

In the "wind-shadow" of the Santana-22, the empty JY-15 then was struck by a gust—tipped over—then "went-turtle" again!

Too tired to mess with righting it again, both the skipper and his lady passenger accepted a boarding on the Santana assisted by the Santana crew. The Santana slowly towed the JY-15 (inverted, sails still attached) into Johnson's Cove—about one mile from the original capsize. During this time, an assortment of powerboats stopped to pass advice.

I asked a brave passing kayaker to pass the word to tow the JY-15 into my sandy area—which is a more suitable area for dragging an inverted boat—than into Johnson's Cove—and a lot closer.

He said, "I'm sticking close to shore—I'm not going out into that!"

An hour had elapsed into this adventure before the "rescuing" NHMP boat sped-by, towards Johnson's Cove. "From Out of The Broads" the NHMP's teensiest Patrol boat (a "McKee" patrol boat) flew impressively and briskly with the wind towards Johnson's Cove

After two minutes in Johnson's Cove—probaby to examine both sailboats' registrations —the NHMP sped back, but now into the wind. The force of wind started to snap at the McKee's canopy—risking an upset himself—if not—a major tearing of canopy!

(So it then got stowed tightly by the NHMP officer, who then resumed his return to Gilford—from whence he surely had just left).

The skipper of the JY-15 apparently got it righted OK, and went for a brief sail (!) before taking it back to his mooring.

These are JY-15s:

Like a thrown rider from a horse, there's something about "The Sailing Life" that makes a skipper want to get right-back-on!

Last edited by ApS; 10-07-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Correct "Buccaneer" to the "JY-15"—change "corall" to "corral"...
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGI3 View Post
A few days of rain would be nice. I re-seeded my lawn last week, assuming we would finally get some rain, but to no avail! I had to water every single day, and I see no REAL rain in sight. We need it bad. I'm afraid my well might run dry. I am honestly getting sick of all this "beautiful" weather we have had over the past 5 months. Bring on the rain!!
I completely agree. I need to aerate my lawn, but can't because the top 6" of soil or bone dry.

This weekend was a perfect example of what I was saying in my post above. Saturday was in the 80's, even with a breeze, and Sunday barely broke 60. You just have to be prepared for any kind of weather, even for a short weekend trip.