Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
ruffinit

Question Boat Ramp

Which boat ramp is the easiest to launch a boat from in both Tuftonbourough and Wolfboro? The boat is 24'.

Last edited by ruffinit; 12-28-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Wrong town
ruffinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Lakepilot

In Wolfeboro, the ramp by the docks would be tough for a 24 footer. The one beside Bradleys Hardware would be easy if you could get your boat under the bridge. Our 20' Four Winns fit under, but our 25' Cobalt doesn't. There's another ramp up by the Libby Museum, at the Tuftonboro line that would be easy for a 24 footer.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (12-29-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
GM doc

Default boat ramp

Are you just looking to launch and take the trailer home for the season? If so, then I would say pier 19 for tuftonboro and the public ramp in Wolfeboro ONLY if your there first thing in the AM.
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Wolfeboro_Baja

Personally, I've never had a problem at the Wolfeboro public ramp but I only do it once a year and I'm launching after 4pm on a Sunday and retrieving by 10am the following Sunday (this is for our vacation in July). Our boat is a 25ft Baja and the tow vehicle is an F-250 so it's kind of a long package. Parked cars can be a hassle but only if there's alot of them on the side street which is the exit for the public parking lot; it can get pretty tight then but you get used to it. The hard part is trying to get the clueless onlookers to stop walking back and forth behind your boat as you're trying to back in.

I can't speak to Tuftonboro though; I only ever launch in Gilford regularly and once a year in Wolfeboro.
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfeboro_Baja For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (12-29-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
ruffinit

Default Boat Ramp

I usually launch from Gilford but I'm renting a house for a week in September and will be on the other side. I just got the 24' this year and this will be the first time I launch it from a ramp. I had a 19 ft before so I'm looking for the easiest ramp to put in.
ruffinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffinit View Post
I usually launch from Gilford but I'm renting a house for a week in September and will be on the other side. I just got the 24' this year and this will be the first time I launch it from a ramp. I had a 19 ft before so I'm looking for the easiest ramp to put in.

Just go to the ramp by the Libby museum then. You'll have no stress to deal with.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Just go to the ramp by the Libby museum then. You'll have no stress to deal with.
I've used the Libby ramp several times, and it is an easy one, with one exception.

I come from Wolfeboro, so when approaching the ramp I am on the other side of the street. If there are no cars parked, I can swing around with a U-turn ending up in the little lot, then I'm golden for an easy backup down the ramp.

But if there are cars, I have to pull over to the side of the street, facing the wrong way, on the far side of the ramp, and while backing up my front end goes a little into the oncoming traffic lane. With cars coming over the hill, it can be a little stressful for a few moments.

Wolfeboro's main dock (we can't fit under the bridge to use the Back bay one) is fine if the area isn't busy. If it is, the people can be annoying walking in your way, offering free advice, etc.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJM For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
MikeF-NH

I agree about stress at the Libby ramp. You do have to be in the street while backing up so if you aren't very good and can get down the ramp quickly and on the first try, that ramp might be a little scary.

I use the 19 Mile Bay ramp a lot and it should be fine but parking is a loonnggg walk away (don't park at the Market). The ramp is narrow but plenty deep for your boat.

Other places to consider:
-the Melvin Village town ramp. you can't part there without a resident sticker but launching should be fine.
-Lee's Mills ramp. Great refurbished facility but a long boat ride with lots of hazard to get out onto Moultonboro Bay.
-Roberts Cove Marina: might be a little tight but doable.

Both launches on Long Island (Harillas and the town ramp) are probably too far of a drive for you.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (01-03-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
ApS

Cool Trucks vs People...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
I've used the Libby ramp several times, and it is an easy one, with one exception...With cars coming over the hill, it can be a little stressful for a few moments.

Wolfeboro's main dock (we can't fit under the bridge to use the Back bay one) is fine if the area isn't busy. If it is, the people can be annoying walking in your way, offering free advice, etc.
1) We launch our 23-footer at the Libby ramp, but with the years, it's gotten really harrowing. You'd think the trucks would slow to a stop for a lady's upraised hand but don't count on it.

To avoid the stress of speeding pickups and logging trucks our best move has been to launch at daybreak.

2) You can count on Back Bay to have better bridge-clearance towards the end of the season.

As for Wolfeboro, I'll gladly take people over trucks!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (01-03-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Trouble with Libby's is the serious lack of parking if you need a place to leave your rig. Used to be you could park along the side of the side road across the street if the back lot got filled, but several years ago the "no parking with trailers" signs went up. Wolfeboro was kind enough to make sure the signs were placed in such a way that even parking a single vehicle is a total PITA. Futher that with if your tires are touching pavement you get a ticket. The parking lot there is large enough to take maybe 7-10 vehicles with trailers IF parked nice and tight which never happens.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (01-02-2011), ruffinit (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Grady223

Default Wcyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffinit View Post
Which boat ramp is the easiest to launch a boat from in both Tuftonbourough and Wolfboro? The boat is 24'.
Consider the Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club. EASY launch and you can Dry Sail, they'll store your boat and put it in waiting for you to arrive when you call. Can't be easier than that!

Last I checked you could try the process out for a year without joining the club. That is the way I started - loved it, joined, now have a slip, couldn't be happier.

Call them at 569-1234.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady223 For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (01-03-2011)