Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Bottom Paint on Boat ?

Can someone recommend the type of paint I can put on the bottm of a boat ?

Boat was origianally in salt-water and had bottom paint, which is peeling and looks ugly.

Just want to make the boat look good, will now be in fresh-water permanantly.

No need a for a 'Pettit' type Marine bottom paint, just something to cover, that is for water applications.

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
XCR-700

If you no longer need bottom paint (i.e. its not staying in the water for any period of time) then have you considered wet-sanding the remaining bottom paint off???

I have a friend who did that an his boat looks much better!!!

If its pealing your going to have to sand it anyway and you are still at risk for future peeling and having tor redo it over and over again, where as if you sand off the old paint now you are done for life.

I'm sure others will have other opinions,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Seeker

There are a myriad of different types of bottom paints, some legal, some not anymore. If you're going to paint you really should find out what was on it before so it is compatible.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
NoBozo

Sand the old paint off down to the gel coat using 100 Grit wet/dry sandpaper.....Wet. Wear dishwashing type rubber gloves or you will loose the skin off your fingers. After that you may find "spider web like" little cracks all over, which retain the old paint in the cracks and doesn't want to go away.

The cracks are NOT a problem.....BUT they look ugly. Paint the bottom again to make it look good.

What paint to use is another topic....depending on what you find when you sand. NB

PS: I recommend you look for another boat. This boat is WAY OVERDUE for replacement. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Can someone recommend the type of paint I can put on the bottm of a boat ?

Boat was origianally in salt-water and had bottom paint, which is peeling and looks ugly.

Just want to make the boat look good, will now be in fresh-water permanantly.

No need a for a 'Pettit' type Marine bottom paint, just something to cover, that is for water applications.

What do you mean by that? Marine bottom paint is exactly for that purpose. Or do you mean you do not want a copper-based anti-fouling paint but rather a paint like an enamel but for underwater applications?

I can't help you with the latter but my boat is bottom painted with Pettit Vivid white, it is an anti-fouling paint but it looks good and is white.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
ApS

Cool Sand It Outdoors...!

The illegal bottom paints are still available on the Internet! They are so poisonous that they were banned from the Earth's oceans worldwide, 'cause it was killing everything that came close to it!

Since Wolfeboro (at least) is contemplating drawing water from Lake Winnipesaukee for its new Town water supply, old bottom paints (especially) are going to be very suspect in Winnipesaukee in the future!

Otherwise, I agree with XCR-700's advice—sand it down to the original gelcoat. To be on the safest side of this issue, I'd wear the most protective safety-gear possible when removing any bottom paint anyway.

(And do it outdoors—in Massachusetts ).

Me, personally? I'd try a test-spot above the waterline using a liquid remover—first.

On sailboats, leaving the bottom a little bit rough (with 400-grit-waterproof) doesn't seem to hurt anything seemingly, there's some advantage in carrying a micro-thin layer of H20 along with you.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Rickeei

Default Research

There are some bottom paints that claim to reduce drag , increase speed and mpg. Do the research. Just type in Bottom paint that increases speed and you will find enough to get you going. I know I used to save an ad that had a lot of different color paints available. I lost the ad.
Rickeei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I have an idea......go see Tom St Laurent at Unique Boat Restoration in Moultonboriugh.He is an expert painter and very fair.Most of the local marina's bring damaged boats to him for refurbishing.He did a job for me on an older boat and it is beautiful.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Gelcoat or IMRON

Your choice. You do not really need a antifouling paint in fresh water lakes in USA. Unless the lake is infected with zebra mussels. God forbid!

I just use a coat of marine wax on the bottom. I don't buff off the residue. In the fall, I immediately scrub or pressure wash the bottom. It looks like new!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Otherwise, I agree with XCR-700's advice—sand it down to the original gelcoat. To be on the safest side of this issue, I'd wear the most protective safety-gear possible when removing any bottom paint anyway.

(And do it outdoors—in Massachusetts ).
So why do you suggest that it be done in Massachusetts?

Do you consider yourself that special to think this work cannot be done anywhere near you?

I suggest everyone remove this nasty stuff in the same locality that they applied it. That is what is fair.

What would you think if all the boaters in Massachustees came to NH to sand and remove their bottom paint? Different story I am sure!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Florida vs Mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post

Do you consider yourself that special to think this work cannot be done anywhere near you?

I suggest everyone remove this nasty stuff in the same locality that they applied it. That is what is fair.

What would you think if all the boaters in Massachustees came to NH to sand and remove their bottom paint? Different story I am sure!

R2B
I think you would insult APS if you decide to scrape the nasty stuff off in FL!

As a NH native. I don't care where you scrape that stuff off. NIMBY!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
XCR-700

Red face

Quote:

R2B
I took it as a joke, but I suppose thats possibly he could have meant that that boat owner is from MA and they should take the boat home for such work.

Either way I dont think the comment was meant as a slam against MA in general,,, (not that we dont deserve it now and again,,, )

Unless I hear otherwise I will assume that it was not some malicious comment.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Resident 2B

Personally, if this was a joke, I missed it. Sorry!

Bottom paint is nasty stuff and something we really do not need in NH on a freshwater lake. It is much more cost effective to have your boat pulled mid-season and pressure washed, than it is to use anti-fouling bottom paint. Washing is much better for the ecology than the nasty chemicals.

If you purchase a boat with anti-fouling bottom paint, have it professionally removed as part of the purchase deal. And have it removed close to where it was applied.

I was not intending to upset anyone. I do not like it when people solve a problem by moving it to another area or state. We only have one planet, at least only one planet that will support our life.

R2B
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
XCR-700

Quote:
If you purchase a boat with anti-fouling bottom paint, have it professionally removed as part of the purchase deal.
R2B

Not a bad idea.

I think you stand a better chance cutting a discounted deal on the boat, as most sellers want to just part ways with the boat as quickly as they can, but it cant hurt to ask.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not a bad idea.

I think you stand a better chance cutting a discounted deal on the boat, as most sellers want to just part ways with the boat as quickly as they can, but it cant hurt to ask.
You are most likely correct.

At least this thread is calling awareness to the ills of bottom paint in general.

With the CSPA, you are so limited to doing anything to your property, but nothing keeps you from putting your boat close to the lakefront and sanding off the bottom paint. Even more, nothing prohibits bottom paint that can and will fall into the water as it flakes off. Again, this stuff is nasty with heavy metals and other things that are much worse for our lake that other items prohibited on or near to the lake.

Sorry that this hits a nerve with me. Time for bed!

R2B
Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
jrc

Most new Searays above 30', come from the factory with bottom paint. So in some cases you are stuck with it.

Given the choice on my new boat (not a Searay), I didn't get bottom paint. Every fall a bunch of Slimey Grimey, a brush and some elbow grease does the job.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #17
NoRegrets

Bottom paint can prevent gelcoat blistering. Gel coats are not 100% impervious to water penetration.

In the ocean the bottom paints are a necessity to prevent barnacles. If the boat is on a trailer and comes out of the water you should never have a gel coat problem. As far as bottom paint contamination, have any of you seal coated your driveways? Installed new carpet? smoke cigarettes? stand near the nozzel when you gas up your cars? use cleaning solvents? use fertilizers? pesticides?

Here is a link to the bottom paint that SeaRay uses. It is water based and they claim to "Easy to apply, environmentally friendly and safer to use".

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ds/1184006.pdf

Carefully follow the instructions and watch for airborn particles. Educate yourself before you try to do this in your back yard.

P.S. I had my bottom paint re-done last year after 10 years in the slip. I leave the boat in the water during the winter. It is inside with bublers that prevent ice from forming.

Last edited by NoRegrets; 08-31-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added my boat specific info
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 AM   #18
bigdog

Default Bottom Paint on Boat ?

WOW ! Who would have thought a topic would generate so much conversation and controversy !

Just for everyone's knowledge.... The boat in question is a 'SUNFUSH' ! No biggie here...... Boat came from R.I. and was bottom-painted for some reason? Not sure why, because the boat was never left in the salt-water for any periods of time other than sailing.

Bottom-paint looks old and peeling. My only intent was to clean it up, sand, and then repaint, with a paint that was not only practical for in-water purposes, but also environmentally safe.

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Epaint

Guy's;

There is an alternative and has been for a long time to the old poisonous copper and tin based anti fouling paint.

There is a product called "Epaint". It's been around for years and the Coast Guard uses it. http://www.epaint.com/

I didn't realize this until I just read the testimonials on the web site but my neighbor on Welch uses this on his sail boats!... http://www.epaint.com/testimonials

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #20
NoBozo

Properly applied, anti fouling bottom paint will prevent the Dreaded Duck Itch. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Properly applied, anti fouling bottom paint will prevent the Dreaded Duck Itch. NB
Ya but does it come in caucasion?Did I even spell that right?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:54 AM   #22
ApS

Cool Not a Blisterer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
Bottom paint can prevent gelcoat blistering. Gel coats are not 100% impervious to water penetration.
The sailboat described is seldom seen with gelcoat blistering: they are most often stored on trailers.

Sailing demands efficiency at all times: every scratch and cut affects efficiency.

A small boat is often pulled from the water. Once a boat is painted—at some time, it surely must be repainted.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
NoRegrets

I have seen blistering on many different hulls. But never on a light boat that does not spend extended time in the water. A friends 26 foot Coboat was sent back to the factory twice due to blistering. Colbalt did well by standing by their product. They suggested a lift or bottom paint to lessen the risk of future blistering.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #24
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Do I apply it just to my bottom or all over me?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
John A. Birdsall

Default zee bottom paint

I bought a boat in 1982 that had been painted with the red lead paint used on submarines. Made the boat really heavy. Getting that off was a job. I used a 8" sander after I tried running over sandbars with no success. Once I got the paint off and some gelcoat more than likely, I spray painted the bottom with two different shades of white automobile paint. I did two coats. That was done in 1984, I have not painted the bottom since. Although it needs it now. It upheld well.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
Knockers

Default Another helpful link--(not meant to advertise)

http://www.yachtworks.net/Store/anti...ttom_paint.htm
Knockers is offline   Reply With Quote