Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
welch100

Default Boating etiquette question

On a public dock on a busy weekend, when a boat is tied up to a public dock and is taking up two spaces, is it O.K. to move the boat over one spar to make room for your boat? We did this yesterday with great care, and then encountered a very irate boat owner. Were we wrong? Don't want to do it again if it's wrong. Thanks!
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Kamper

It's legal and in other place boats do dock two or three deep. In this area though you are likely to get a negative response from the other captain and you need to remember that you become liable for that vessel being properly secured.

God luck and be careful.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
braunbayboater

Default Liability

I know how frustrated you were to see that a boat took up the space of two when you needed a space to tie your boat BUT I too would have been upset if you moved my boat. What if you had not tied it properly, what if it got damaged because you moved it? I think the next time you should grin and bear it and wait for another space to open up. I know your intentions were good - just my opinion of course.
braunbayboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
bigRazor

Seems ok by me as long as you tie it up properly.
bigRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigRazor For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-16-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
robmac

I think IMHO that on any day we should all be aware when docking at a public dock to make sure we take only the space we need. So in other words if I need the entire span because of the size of my boat so be it,however if not then think of others and only take a spot for your boat not extra cushion so others can use and enjoy the ability to dock as well.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
NoBozo

That's a tough question to answer. In my 40+ years of boating I can't recall actually moving someone elses boat to make room for my own. Sometimes it becomes necessary to "Adjust" someones docklines, say, in a case where you are sharing the same cleat on a dock.

If someones boat is docked in such a way, near mine, so as to present a danger to my boat or someone elses boat and the owner is nowhere in sight, I might again "Adjust" dock lines to prevent the other boat from hitting mine or someone elses. I'd say it's a judgment call each time. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Captn'J

Default Boating Etiquette Question

Thanks for posting this question because a similar situation happened to me this weekend. I was parked in Meredith in front of The Inn at Bay Point on Saturday. At the time I docked there were 2 boats in front of me and a jet ski behind me. When the small boat in front of me left, it left a very tight or small space between my boat and another tied up at the end of the dock.

When we returned to our boat we noticed a pontoon boat in front of us and our boat had been moved. In my opinion I find it intrusive and irresponsible for anyone to move my lines (or anyone else's for that matter) without my knowledge or consent, or taking into account what could happen. By doing so you run the risk of being responsbile for any damage done to the boat you are moving. For example, what if the line you moved came undone? Isn't it better to leave well enough alone and wait for a spot like we all have to do?

In my instance my boat was moved back. The front line was very loose causing the bow to stick way out from the dock (certainly not the way I left it). In addition, my drive (which was raised) was only inches away from the jet ski behind me. If someone were to come by with a wake (as we all know they do)then my skeg would have hit the jet ski for sure.

Therefore it is my opinion that during very busy days at public docks it is better to be safe than sorry and wait for an opening that your boat can fit in without moving someone else's boat to make room for your own, unless you are ready to take full responsibility if something happens to the boat you move.

I think this is an excellent question. Personally I wouldn't even think about touching someone else's boat or boat lines. To me, it's personal property and not worth risking or causing what could become a very bad situation.
Captn'J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
OCDACTIVE

Default Don't Touch

I would never touch someone else's boat. Many times when people dock they are not taking up 2 spots but as people come and go it may end up looking that way. I know I would be very upset if someone ever moved mine.. Just my 2 cents.
LIforrelaxin (08-17-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
garysanfran

Default Would you move someone's motorcycle?

When I dock my boat, I choose the spot very carefully. I place the boat exactly where I want it and where I want to find it and, therefore, I am the only one responsible for it. Recently someone complained about damage to their boat at The Weirs. They hadn't noticed the dock had some damage and it caused damage to their boat. Welch100 may be a very capable person, but not everyone is, and if this was standard practice, there would be problems. I just stay home weekends.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
camp guy

Default Boating etiquette question

Thank you Captn'J - excellent answer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Winnicandle

I would only touch someones boat if it was in a dangerous spot/situation - not just out of convenience.

Boats are very expensive these days, I dont want responsibility for anything, nor do I want anyone touching my hard earned stuff. In a perfect world this would work great and we would all respect each others stuff, but I can see my 100K+ boat moved and banging into a dock or another boat as someone wanted to squeeze in.....even if I parked sensibly and then another boat moved out after I was gone.

I'd just find another place to park and not touch anyones boat.
Winnicandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
sky_nh

If it were my boat I would be very upset to see it moved. Best option is to wait until a spot suitable for your own boat to open up.
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
pm203

I have seen fist fights erupt over this. I never would move anyone's boat. It is rude and wrong.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Wolfeboro

Twice while docked in Wolfeboro we had our boat moved. Once, it was moved about two posts back, but the lines were not re-tied with half hitches, and the boat was looser than when we left it. Made me not a very happy camper.

The second time really upset us. We pulled into the dock around a decent sized boat that was docked at the end. We went to the Dockside and sat overlooking the channel into Back Bay. When we came out, we were literally move all the way down into the finger dock area. There were I think three boats between us and the end. To add to all of it, it was pretty windy and blowing across the docks from Dockside toward Brewster, which made for an interesting backing out. We did wait about 15 minutes before backing out, without seeing anyone go to the other boats.

I would only touch another boat if it was necessary to prevent damage to that boat, not for my convenience.

I have tied to the same post, and will always tie by half hitches below the other boat's lines.

I agree with those who say leave the boat alone.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #15
Winnipesaukee

I would go nuts on you if you touched my boat. Very serious.

/thread.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
trfour

Smile Ya, I hear ya... welch100

We've all seen those who take more than their fair share to park. It happens everywhere, every day. And not effecting boat parking only, we see it in everyday life around our country!

I'm with ya here, a stretch limo taking up an extra parking space is not a big deal...

However, a mini sideways taking up two or more spots can be annoying!
Now, if you should throw it into the nearest dumpster, understand that you could be found liable. Specs, if you leave prints.

Now, I learned all this from an old buddy by the name of [ Flash Gordon ].

So by all means, be aware!

Find me if you should, but keep you hands off my boat!

Terry
__________________________________________________ _____

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #17
jayp603

Default no

i wont touch your boat, and please dont touch mine.
jayp603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
Tomt

Things are not always as they appear. With boats of all different sizes pulling in and leaving at different times the distance between boats change. Someone could dock behind a large boat with a reasonable amount of space between them, the larger boat leaves and a smaller boat pulls in now it may look like the person who docked behind the larger boat was being inconsiderate when that was not the case. I wouldn't have a problem if someone moved my boat but then again it is only 18' and easily moved.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
challmec

I have read every post related to this subject and I agree with all of them.
As we all know a lot of people tie up differently in many situations but as everyone here has said it is better not to disturb others boats no matter what.
Some very good answers here. Excellent folks.

My advise if at all possible is to boat during the week and just sit back and relax on the weekends!!
Have a safe and enjoyable week on the water
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by challmec View Post
I have read every post related to this subject and I agree with all of them.
As we all know a lot of people tie up differently in many situations but as everyone here has said it is better not to disturb others boats no matter what.
I too agree with the above statement.

If ever in the situation, ask yourself, would you want someone moving your boat?
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #21
Irrigation Guy

I'd rather have someone move my car. At least it would stay where it was left by the other person and not have to be tied up in a certain way to prevent possible damage(i.e. spring lines ect.)
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #22
MJM

I think it is wrong to touch anyone else's boat, and do not want anyone touching mine.

The only time I've done that was a circumstance with no choice - docked at the Weirs, 2/3 of the way in. Spend many enjoyable hours with the family. Came back, and the two boats at the ends of the adjacent docks were so wide, there was no room for us to get out.

We waited for a little while, trying to be obvious in looking around, etc., hoping one of the owners was nearby and would come let us out. No luck. So I untied and moved one out while my wife pulled our boat out.

We didn't like doing it, felt very incomfortable doing, but there was no alternative.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #23
SOB

Default Find another

I have no problem intervening with someone else's boat if I can prevent damage to their boat or other property and I hope other folks would do the same. Such as a line that came undone or a fender that shifted out of place.

As for moving a boat to make room for your own boat. No, I would never do that.

1. Captain will most likely be upset in every circumstance.
2. You are responsible for any damage done (Even if you didn't actually cause any the Captain will blame every scratch he sees on you because he is upset)
3. People in general are careless and if we all started moving each others boats there will be problems.

Same reason I don't tie up anywhere that they raft boats 3 or 4 deep etc. I don't want people walking on my boat, stealing items off my boat, and some teenager working the dock scratching up my boat.
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #24
codeman671

I have seen the parking police at Glendale move boats before. I was there last weekend when he was moving one. The dock was not busy at all, I am really not sure why he did it. I think he was trying to get it a bit further back from the launch however IMHO there was plenty of room already.

I do not move boats and don't want mine touched. The concrete docks at Glendale can be real gelcoat eaters if you are not tied up properly. We have thrusters (2 stern and a bow in my wifes and a bow in mine) in both of our boats currently so I can squeeze in and out of pretty tight spots when needed.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #25
PC31

Please please please do not touch my boat. I tie my lines and put my fenders just the way I want them and they are usually perfect. If someone moved my boat I would flip out.

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PC31 For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
I have seen fist fights erupt over this. I never would move anyone's boat. It is rude and wrong.
Ditto. Its amazing that most people dont know how to tie properly as well

Last edited by cowisl; 08-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
ITD

Hmmmm, I'm seeing an emerging market for locking dock lines!!!
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #28
jrc

There has been a lot of agreement here, and I agree as well, don't touch someone elses property. Obvious exception for safety or good samaritan re-tying.

I think the whole moving boats things comes from the days when everyone had a small rugged runabout. It was no big deal to move them around. Now people have expensive boats that scratch easy, so a careless tie job can end up costing some serious money for gel coat repairs.

If I was trapped behind another boat, I don't know how long I would wait. Usually I try very hard not to get in that situation and I have never been trapped more than a few minutes.

It is much more likely that I will trap someone. In that case I try to stay close. The whole trapping issue makes me avoid Wolfeboro, especially since the best non-trapping dock is now for painted blue and unusable.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #29
Winnipesaukee

Default Let me put it this way... (rant on those who can't tie knots) :)

I was on a friend's boat when he fell victim to one of these ignorant and empowered people.

The proper way to tie a boat to a piling is with a pile hitch (not 2 half hitches, a clove hitch, and a bowline is too fragile by losing half of the rope's rated strength).

Windy day. We came back to find his boat moved and against another boat. (edit back to my original post, which was changed by the moderator) "Capt. BH" had improperly tied up the boat after he moved it. Both spring lines were tossed back in the boat and the stern line had let go. The bow-line wasn't even a knot, just kind of barely holding on.

So please don't move someone else's boat. It might be mine, and I will make a thread about you.

Last edited by Winnipesaukee; 08-18-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Moderator changed my wording. I just had to change it back. :)
Winnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnipesaukee For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #30
VtSteve

Default Right on Winni

Pile hitch

http://www.ehow.com/video_4416489_tie-pile-hitch.html

Also available as an iPhone app

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anima...376302649?mt=8
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (08-18-2010), Rose (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #31
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Pile Hitch

Winni,

You are correct the pile hitch is a great knot (as long as you can reach over the top of the pile (some of the Town Docks pilings may preclude the use of this knot))

Link to youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCamZg0gD1Q
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
boat_guy64 (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #32
PC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
I was on a friend's boat when he fell victim to one of these ignorant and empowered people.

The proper way to tie a boat to a piling is with a pile hitch

Ok Captain could you fill me in on a pile hitch.
signed ignorant

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #33
Winnipesaukee

If you don't know the pile hitch you haven't lived yet.

Some other members posted links on how to tie it.

If you cannot get the bight over the top, you can still tie the hitch but it takes a bit more practice. I think I've encountered this once (maybe in Meredith?) and just use a bowline.

Pop quiz: The 4-in-hand tie knot is the same (renamed) as what sailing/boating knot?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #34
Bear Islander

I have moved boats. If you don't want your boat moved, don't tie it up in a stupid manner.

If you tie up such that you are blocking someone or if you tie up to the second or third post from the end, then you should expect to have your boat moved. Some people like to take two spaces when they park their car. You can't move a car but when you tie up at a busy dock such that you take up move space than necessary then you shouldn't be surprised if your boat is not exactly where you put it.

The second or third post from the end thing is really annoying. Just what are people thinking when they do that?
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #35
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
...The second or third post from the end thing is really annoying. Just what are people thinking when they do that?
They are thinking, I just want to tie this boat somewhere so she will stop yelling at me.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #36
DEJ

BI, there very well could of been a small 12 footer tied up in the space of the three post's from the end. As mentioned in earlier post's boats and people come and go so while it might appear someone tied up three post's from the end there could be a legit reason.

As Skip mentioned in another thread if you re-tie another boat and cause damage you are liable for all damages. Seems like a risk not worth taking IMO.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #37
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Please

Quote:
I have moved boats. If you don't want your boat moved, don't tie it up in a stupid manner.

If you tie up such that you are blocking someone or if you tie up to the second or third post from the end, then you should expect to have your boat moved. Some people like to take two spaces when they park their car. You can't move a car but when you tie up at a busy dock such that you take up move space than necessary then you shouldn't be surprised if your boat is not exactly where you put it.

The second or third post from the end thing is really annoying. Just what are people thinking when they do that?
Stupid manner? Please re-read the thread, boats sometimes look like they were docked improperly when the other boats around them leave.

If someone leaves 2 or 3 posts at the end of the dock, that is enough for a jet ski or 2 or even a small runabout.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #38
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
They are thinking, I just want to tie this boat somewhere so she will stop yelling at me.
Great answer!

================

When you tie up to the second or third post you are leaving only one or two posts open, not two or three. One post is totally useless. Two posts, on most docks, is almost totally useless. When someone does that they are being a jerk, PERIOD! You can tell your girlfriend that you are leaving a spot for one of the thousands of 10' long boats on the lake, but we both know different. And if I should walk by, you boat is being moved.

Next I will be told that when you park you car in two spaces you are really trying to leave spaces for motorcycles on either side.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #39
hazelnut

Quote:

Well a Jet-Ski may have been there or a smaller boat. You are taking quite a risk by touching someone's boat. What you THINK you are seeing can quite often be a very different story. Did you read the whole thread before you posted?

You never know who's boat you're moving and never mind the liability you better be ready to explain to the crowd of 7 guys standing around you asking you why you are touching their boat.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #40
NoBozo

Quote:

I'm trying to remember when I have agreed with BI. I TOTALLY Agree this time. OH NO: I guess I just ruined Bear Islanders Credibility. That was not my intent though. It's a judgement call.......NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #41
DEJ

BI, I pray that I find you moving my boat someday.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #42
gravy boat

Default What would you do???

Here is one for you:

Glendale docks. Weekday. Launch dock..not island side of launch area. No boats except one...tied close enough to the ramp that a trailer with a 25 ft boat could back in ... But not launch.

How long would you all wait? Keep mind the island dock was full .

Would you rather wait until the owner returns in what could be 3 hours later? Would you turn around and go home instead of moving the boat, living by the "do unto others" rule?

I moved the boat back enough to safely launch and be on my way. And will do so again every time without hesitation.

Gb

ps. We did wait a few before launching in case the owner had just launched and was parking the trailer.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #43
Winnipesaukee

If it blocked the ramp, then I would have called NHMP (on the phone because VHF is almost useless here ) and had them move it.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #44
donnamatrix

Default Moving boats

It can be quite annoying to go to Wolfeboro (or any port on the lake really) to find that somebody has taken more dock space than he should... but really, you should only touch somebody else's boat if that boat is in danger-and retying the lines will secure that boat. I admit I have yearned to jump on the dock, untie the lines and move a boat to make room for us to dock ... but that's just my impatience! I would be quite irritated if someone moved our boat. I can see where screaming and fisticuffs could result.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #45
Jersey Joe

Speaking of docking - has anybody noticed the way there are bolts sticking out on almost every spar at the Weirs Docks. When I tied up there recently, I was extremely careful where I positioned the boat - and the fenders, to protect the boat from those nasty bolt heads.

Now if somebody were to move the boat - would they take the same care to ensure that it was positioned the same way? Just wondering, since my particular Four Winns has only a very thin rub rail - and if not set up right - those bolts would certainly do some fiberglass damage.

I agree with much of this string - But - I have also come back to find my boat moved ( Hudson River - near the town of Cold Spring ). In that instance, the dock was well padded, and my boat was tied off as well (or dare I say better) than I had left it. I never gave it another thought until I read this string.
Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote