Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Flylady

Default Kayak Purchased delima

I am ready to make the buy however I can not make up my mind as to the kayak model to select. First timer here and see myself sticking to the regional lakes and avoiding the Big lake. I have three models I am trying to choose from
Perception Tribute 12' narrow made for smaller framed people (smaller cockpit opening) Old Town Dirigo 120 or Nature Marvel 12' (open cockpit and nice seat wider than the other 2)

I would appreciate your feedback and experiences with any on my list.

Thanks!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I don't have experience with any of those models, however you mention that one is wider then the others... That in and of itself with give you more forgiveness if you move around and rock the boat so to speak... In short if you want a less tipsy ride I suggest the widest model
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Highlander

We have 2 Old Town Dirigo 120's, we use them mostly on Winni but have taken them to other lakes and ponds in the area. They are very stable in the rougher water on the big lake yet easy to transport to use on other lakes.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
jrc

What are you going to do with it?

Thinner and longer kayaks go faster and cover more distance, wider ones are more stable but take more effort to paddle.

How are you going to transport it when not in the water. Mine (Tarpon 12) is heavier than average and can be a chore to put on the car or boat or carry long distances. But it is rock steady in the water. Supposed to be good for fishing but I still having too much fun exploring to drag the rod along yet.

Go to a kayak store and find the real expert, who uses their kayak the way you plan to use it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

JRC makes a good point about finding a good store with a real expert. Also, if at all possible, attempt to try them out first. Picking a Kayak is in a way is like picking a pair of shoes. What feels perfect to one may feel awful to another.

Wide short kayaks are real slugs to paddle any distance but many paddlers like then just fine. Most beginner paddlers feel that they are more stable.

Longer slimmer kayaks are faster and easier to paddle but take a little longer to feel comfortable in. Most beginners would have the perception that they are not very stable. Once you acquire some skill they are actually very stable. The long distance ocean going kayaks are longer slimmer kayaks. But most casual users lean toward short and wide.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Thinner and longer kayaks go faster and cover more distance, wider ones are more stable but take more effort to paddle.
Bingo: I am basically lazy and paddling a wide kayak is just way too much trouble. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Newbiesaukee

We have a Native Marvel 14.4 tandem. It does feel quite stable and is comfortable....a real plus. We use it for relatively short rides in the quieter areas on Winni. But I agree that discussing with an expert and trying them out is important. The paddle also can make a difference.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default old town

I have an old town loon 12 foot. I like it because the back seat will slide forward making it much easier if it is only used by one.
Of course I've not used it in years but before I brought it to our place in Maine I used it on the lake in some really rough conditions and it was a blast.
May I suggect buying it in a color that can be seen. Refering to discussions about kayaks not being seen in rough water out on the lake.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Ya know the kayak & hottub store in Meredith, across from the Volvo dealer, has these red aprox 12' (just a guess) kayaks, that are powered by a 25hp Honda inboard style motor. Kinda resembles a human torpedo or something! Have not seen one in action. but that seems like a huge powerfull engine..........Banzai!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
jrc

I think I saw on of those powwered kayaks on Sunday nears Governer's island bridge.

It was red and moving like a torpedo. Definitely did a double take.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
GM doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
I am ready to make the buy however I can not make up my mind as to the kayak model to select. First timer here and see myself sticking to the regional lakes and avoiding the Big lake. I have three models I am trying to choose from
Perception Tribute 12' narrow made for smaller framed people (smaller cockpit opening) Old Town Dirigo 120 or Nature Marvel 12' (open cockpit and nice seat wider than the other 2)

I would appreciate your feedback and experiences with any on my list.

Thanks!
Darn, I have a 13.5 foot kayake "perception" for sale. includes a carbon fiber paddle and paddle strap. I could post a few pictures but don't "get it" LOL
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Flylady

Default Helpful info

Thanks everyone.....I am off to look at the Old town Dirigo. Sense I am pretty independent I like to go off by myself and the weight of the kayak is also a consideration. So more research. I'll let you know what my final decision is when I make the buy!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Seeker

Hope you did not buy a Dirigo. My wife has a 05 Dirigo 106 and it's great. Unfortunately Old Town changed the way they make these models in 2009 and there have been many complaints since then, including thinner bottoms, etc. I personally would recommend the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote