Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
jrc

Default No anchor anchoring

Several times this weekend, I saw an annoying twist on anchoring. Two boats came into an area crowded with anchored boats and just turned off their motors and drifted. They were close to each other so they could chat boat to boat. As the breeze pushed them near other boats they would restart the boats move a few 100 feet away and stop again.

These boats didn't have windlasses so my guess is they just didn't want to haul an anchor. Am I missing something here, is this a way around the 25' spacing in the no rafting rule.

It was annoying only because I had to keep an eye on them, to make sure they didn't drift into me.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have never noticed this in amoungst other anchored boats before, but I can completely identify with your concerns this seems like a risky and annoying practice, and probably just some lazy people.

My suggestiong would be to call the MP... and report the specific bow Numbers of the offending boats, and let the MP know exactly what they are doing... Now it may not be illegal but if they are causing a safety issue the MP will talk to them about it.....

Or if your willing you could always approach them....
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Skip

Post Rsa 270:42 (iv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
... Am I missing something here, is this a way around the 25' spacing in the no rafting rule...
No, you cannot circumvent the rafting rules by being "adrift".

270:42 Definitions. – In this subdivision:
I. ""Dinghy'' means a boat primarily used as a means of travel to and from, and used only in conjunction with, the owner's principal boat.
II. ""Lifeboat'' means a boat principally used for rescue purposes and associated with a larger vessel.
III. ""Occupied'' means that the owner or person in charge of the boat is either on board the boat or in the water within 100 feet of the boat.
IV. ""Raft'' means any group of 2 or more boats which are stationary upon the waters of a lake or pond and which are congregated together, whether anchored, secured to one another, or adrift, provided that at least one of the boats in the group is occupied, and provided further that lifeboats and dinghies shall not be counted in determining whether a raft exists.
V. ""Rafting'' means forming or being a member of a raft.
VI. ""Single boat'' means a boat which is not a member of a raft.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
jrc

I guess I should of re-read the no rafting rules, I've quoted them enough in the past

This was in the NRZ near the Governor's Island bridge. For some reason I've ended up there a lot recently vs other old favorite spots. I should move on, it is a little too wakey and it is a little too "in someones backyard". Especially since they seem to be using that little house and all those new docks.

Anyway my guess is still just lazyness on their part. I also see a few boats around there that just don't have the right anchor or can't figure out the "scope" thing. They will drag anchor in the breeze, fire up the engines move and reset the anchor, then drag again.

This place is probably more of an issue because the bottom is sandy. In other spots the rock usually grab a dragging anchor eventually, hopefully before they grab your prop

It's not worth calling the Marine Patrol, these people are really just an annoyance.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
It's not worth calling the Marine Patrol, these people are really just an annoyance.
Your kidding right? Calling the MP because 2 boats are floating and not anchored? Wow. Talk about taking them away from more important issues.
Winnipesaukee (08-15-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
jrc

Yes that was my point SS, I don't usually bother the police when someone just annoys me. LI suggested calling the MP, if it was a safety issue. I don't think it rose to safety issue.

I just mentioned it because I thought I was missing something, some reason for this beyond convenience of the other boaters.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Gotcha jrc. Not ripping you. I had to laugh when I saw the thread going down the "call MP to settle this" road.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
pitosalas

Default No Rafting areas on the map

This brings up a question I've had. The busiest rafting congregation I know of in the northern part of the lake is Braun Bay, and yet it's clearly marked as 'no rafting' on the map.

Where's the official list of 'no rafting' areas - and are they enforced at all?
pitosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Skip

Post Saf-C 407.03 (Lake Winnipesaukee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitosalas View Post
This brings up a question I've had. The busiest rafting congregation I know of in the northern part of the lake is Braun Bay, and yet it's clearly marked as 'no rafting' on the map.

Where's the official list of 'no rafting' areas - and are they enforced at all?

They are indeed enforced.

They are covered under the Safety Department's "Administrative Rules".

Here ya go:

Saf-C 407.03 Prohibited Areas.

(a) Rafting as defined in RSA 270:42, V, shall be prohibited in the following areas of Lake Winnipesaukee unless covered by one of the exceptions specified in RSA 270:45:

(1) The Kona Mansion, so-called, in Moultonborough, east of an imaginary line running north and south from the red top mark buoy located on the western tip of Avery's Point on the south to the Kona Farm gas docks on the north;

(2) Small's Cove in Alton, southwest of an imaginary line running southeast-northwest from light 75 on the northwestern end to the northernmost point of land marking the entrance to the first cove, south of Small's Cove on the south;

(3) Wentworth Cove, southwest of Governor's Island Bridge west of an imaginary north-south line, running from light 43 on the north to the black top buoy, located off Wentworth Cove Estates on the south;

(4) Braun Bay, within 300 feet of both fish and game property lines, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;

(5) Braun Bay, at a distance less than 75 feet from shore, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;

(6) The area known as Cedar Cove, specifically identified as the area opposite Plum Island which borders the town of Alton tax map 18, lot numbers 12 through 20 and 55;

(7) The area of Winter Harbor from the southern boundary of the town of Tuftonboro tax map 63, lot number 14 to the southern boundary of tax map 15, lot number 20.

(8) The entire area known as Green’s Basin, in the town of Moultonborough;

(9) Orchard Cove, on the east side of Cow Island, in the town of Tuftonboro;

(10) The entire area known as Buzzell Cove, in the town of Moultonborough;

(11) Brickyard Cove, encompassing a described area that would run south of an imaginary line running about 2,300 feet from the northern tip of Clay Point to the southern tip of Barndoor Island;

(12) The entire area known as Black Cove, in the town of Meredith, encompassing an area in Meredith tax map S-7, east from the northern most point of Lot 5-1 to the southeastern most point of Lot 1;

(13) The entire area known as East Cove, in the town of Moultonborough;

(14) The entire area known as Advent Cove, in the town of Meredith; and

(15) Roberts Cove, in the town of Alton, encompassing a described area as between the body of water in Roberts Cove, east of a line running north to south from the westerly boundary of lot 41 on tax map 48 to the westerly boundary of lot 1 on tax map 48.

(b) Rafting as defined in RSA 270:42, V, shall be prohibited in the following areas of Lake Sunapee unless covered by one of the exceptions specified in RSA 270:45:

(1) Along the eastern shore beginning at Owl's Nest Point, running northeast to a point off Soo Nipi Road, a distance of approximately 2,800 feet;

(2) Along the front of the John Hay National Wildlife Refuge in the town of Newbury; and

(3) In the vicinity of 2,000 feet north northeast of Twin Islands, adjacent to the red top spar buoy in George’s Mills.

Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
VtSteve

They could have saved some paper by just saying No Rafting Where There Is Water.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
They are indeed enforced.

They are covered under the Safety Department's "Administrative Rules".

[/B]
With all due respect, I beg to differ.

Funding being what it is, there's many laws that are not being regularly enforced.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote