Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
winnipiseogee

Default Ideal Island Boat

We are thinking about getting as island place. That starts with an island boat. We want something that does not need to be covered all the time (I hate taking canvas on and off). We want something that can take bad weather if we need to get mainland in a storm. We need something with good carrying capacity.

Suggestions of places to start?
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
We are thinking about getting as island place. That starts with an island boat. We want something that does not need to be covered all the time (I hate taking canvas on and off). We want something that can take bad weather if we need to get mainland in a storm. We need something with good carrying capacity.

Suggestions of places to start?
If you don't plan on doing any watersports other than fishing and are strictly looking for back and forth transportation, utility and day cruising the lake, this boat here is a beauty with a 150 H.P. outboard. http://easternboats.com/248-islander/ Daves Motorboat Shop in Gilford is the local dealer.

Two things I would definitely recommend your boat should have is...

#1. Outboard motor only so you don't have to worry about early or late season freeze ups. Also if you get something with an enclosed cabin / cockpit area, get a 4 stroke. My 2 stroke resonates like crazy in the cockpit and sounds twice as loud than it actually is when not in the cockpit.

#2. Self draining hull so you don't have to worry about bilge pumps killing your batteries and your boat sinking from rain when your not there. The Eastern noted above is self draining. Boston Whalers have a similar design...

Good Luck!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-05-2014 at 08:41 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-05-2014), Broken Glass (04-14-2014), winnipiseogee (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
8gv

I have no advice for the o.p. but...

That is a beautiful boat!!!!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Eastern or Boston Whaler.

Both will be great island boats. I prefer the Eastern as the quality is better and the Eastern handles the rough water better.
winnipiseogee (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
ursa minor

One thing to remember as an islander is that your boat needs to perform many tasks as it will end up being all weather transportation and often a pick up truck to get "stuff" back and forth to the mainland. On an island, we have to take changing weather conditions in stride to get back and forth; we don't always get to decide to only boat when the weather is good.

You'll find that a lot of islander boats are older, often closed bow types and almost all with full canvas. I understand your concern with having to put up and take down the top, however the first rainy Friday night may have you thinking differently. Many of us have a second boat for "fun" stuff for that reason.

Our main boat is a 1988 Cruisers Inc. 22 foot cuddy cabin that we've had for about 15 years. It has a true deep V hull, full canvas with seating for 4 under cover and plenty of cockpit space for coolers, bags, etc. We've been out in some truly epic weather and always felt safe. I hope to not have to replace it any time soon as it's tough (and expensive) to find anything that would replace it in a newer hull. I really like the look of the Easterns as well, the only concern would be the clearance height of the hard top. Many of the marinas now dry stack boats and I'm not sure if the height of the hard top would be a problem or not. We also see a lot of neighbors with pontoon boats, we had one for about 5 years to use a as a freighter when we were building our place. It wasn't pretty or fast but it would haul a lot of things. Good luck with your search!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
winnipiseogee

This is why I love this forum! It is amazing how much expertise and how many answers you can get in such a short time.

Thanks for the Eastern Boat suggestion. We wanted something a bit smaller than 25' just because there is a big price difference between slip above 24 and below 24. I absolutely love Eastern's new 22 foot Sisu. That looks like the perfect island boat.

Any other ideas just keep throwing them at me!!!

Thanks so much for all the help folks.

P.S. - I've owned a couple of nicer pontoon boats and a 24 ft crownline over the years here. My comment about canvas is that I hated late sunday afternoons when I had to spend half an hour snapping down all the canvas to cover up the boat. That eastern is awesome because I could just shut the door and run!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
SteveS

Avoid upholstery at all costs! We have a Whaler Ventura and are very happy with it for all the stuff an island boat needs to do, from hauling trash & propane to kids on tubes. My neighbor has a 22' Eastern & says he gets knocked around quite a bit. We're on Diamond with no way to avoid the broads, so I am not surprised - it is much lighter than the Whaler. I would consider full canvass a must-have. Good luck!
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveS For This Useful Post:
winnipiseogee (04-07-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Moving stuff and getting help

As you look around, visualize how you will load and unload a refrigerator. Is there enough deck space to move around with the fridge in place? Are there railings you have to lift over? We used to have a 4x8 piece of plywood (with a center leg) that lay across the gunwales. Hauled lumber, fridge, stove etc but nothing went in the boat to scratch, tear or dent. We had a high center of gravity and did not haul on real windy days.

Island Support Services, Inc. has been a real bonus for us, open and close, plumbing, water, electrical, remodeling. Prompt and reasonable (understanding that hiring services on an island has added expense for the vendor compared to the guy who pulls a truck into your driveway.)
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
winnipiseogee

Thanks again - this is all super helpful.

Anyone have any experience with C Dory boats? Good? Bad?
Old 04-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
ursa minor

The Sisu 22 would be on my list as well. If Eastern builds it the same way the original Sisu models were built it would have the option of the raised windshield with a soft top. The pictures I've looked at on their site show a hard top similar to the other Eastern models. The nice thing about either the Sisu or the Eastern is that they perform well with relatively moderate power for their size. They won't win any races but I'm pretty sure they'll cruise comfortably in the 20 MPH range.

The C-Dory's have a pretty loyal following. One of our neighbors has a 19 footer with the cabin and a 90 HP Suzuki. He really likes only needing to deal with the aft curtain. It's a cool looking boat. The only thing to consider is that they are pretty much a flat bottom boat so if it gets choppy you'll need to slow down to displacement speeds (off plane) or the ride could get pretty uncomfortable. I believe Y Landing carries them, you might be able to take a test ride and see if this would be a concern.
winnipiseogee (04-08-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Bear Islander

I have been on an island for 30 years and in my opinion a bow rider about 20 or 21 feet is best. We have to take over many large loads of luggage and groceries. The extra room in the bow comes in very handy. And young people love the bow seating.

If the boat is to small it will mean lots of trips when visitors come. Bow riders around 21 feet can take 9 or 10 people. Also you don't want to small a boat when crossing in bad weather. Living on an island you will be taking the boat across when main-landers never would be out.

If the boat is two big it will be harder to park at various public docks you will visit.

A huge consideration is which marina you will use. Some marinas require you buy your boat from them if you want a slip. And even if not required buying at one marina and renting a slip at another will not make them happy. It also makes warranty work and service a headache.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
winnipiseogee (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
hig

Our first "island boat" was an 18ft Quintrex dual console. It was economical, , reliable and bare bones - marine carpet instead of cushions on the seats. It was perfect for hauling stuff back and forth to the Island and I never worried about damaging it. We even hauled a 10x12ft shed (one side at a time) on a pretty windy day and it did amazingly - although the exertion nearly killed me.

Then we decided to upgrade last year and (based on the conventional wisdom) bought a year-old 24ft bowrider. It seems like just what we needed for watersports, cruising and entertaining, but I was wrong. It just wasn't a good fit as an island boat. Almost impossible to load heavy items in and out, and transporting always caused more stress than it was worth. I am selling it this year while it is still in good shape.

I think my next boat may be a 23/24ft Walkaround of some kind. Decently seaworthy with a small cabin for the kids on the bad weather days, and a big flat area for fishing and hauling stuff. Fishing boats tend not to have the luxury features of the bowriders, but they are designed to hold up to more mistreatment I think. I would love an Eastern CC or Sisu, but they are almost impossible to find for used for reasonable money.

Whatever I buy, it won't be too new or too nice. I've decided that stressing about wear and tear on the boat is not on my list of fun things to do at the lake.
hig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hig For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
ishoot308

Quote:
This is why I love this forum! It is amazing how much expertise and how many answers you can get in such a short time.

Thanks for the Eastern Boat suggestion. We wanted something a bit smaller than 25' just because there is a big price difference between slip above 24 and below 24. I absolutely love Eastern's new 22 foot Sisu. That looks like the perfect island boat.
I have a 22' Eastern lobster which I believe is the predecessor of the Sisu. It's a great boat and can handle anything Winni can throw at her. Though I will admit my tritoon handles rough water even better. For what you are looking for, the Eastern sounds like it fits the bill better.

As ursaminor stated above it is a flat bottom semi displacement hull boat and does not handle anything at all like a v or deep v hull boat. You must adjust speed for conditions to "displace" waves. There is no planing with this boat hull. Docking is also completely different because it is a flat bottom. Nothing you can't get used to you just need to be aware of it.

Dan
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
codeman671

During our years of being islanders we tried just about everything. We had multiple pontoons, center consoles, walk-arounds cabin style, you name it we owned it. We always owned multiple boats at any given time as they served different purposes. Depending on where you are looking to be will have a bearing on my suggestion.

I was partial to pontoons. The tritoons ride great in all water, have plenty of space to carry the bulky stuff and loads of people, and have canvas options that can keep you dry and warm when needed, but also act as a good all around fun boat.

A few of our favorite island boats were as follows:

Boston Whaler 200 Dauntless w/200hp Verado
Premier 225RF tritoon with enclosure and 250hp
Suntracker Party Barge 25 with hard top and 115hp

The whaler was great as it was fast (50mph), easy to handle, easy to keep clean and had enough space but other than the bimini had no enclosure (I have seen them made for them though).

The Premier was great as it was fast, had plenty of space and had the canvas to keep us dry. The vinyl floor washed off easy if you were hauling trash and was quite rugged. It was a great all around fun boat too.

The Suntracker had a hard top which was nice for bad weather. We never put an enclosure on it as I could not spend a few grand to put canvas on a $10k boat. It had a ton of deck space. It was only a twin tube which was not good in rough water. It was a beater so I didn't bother to cover or clean it- that was the best part! It was really nice having an island boat that I simply didn't care about. I covered the console only and walked away.

I had a Baha Cruisers 251GLE with twin 130hp Hondas and a bow thruster. I found it was simply too much boat to use as our primary island boat. It is a similar size to the Eastern 248, maybe a touch bigger. We would go back and forth to Glendale a lot, and it was no fun in tight spots or windy situations. Depending on the island that you choose that style may work better for you.

I like the Eastern in concept but worry about ride quality as well as price. That 248 is $100k+ and is new enough that there really is no used inventory out there. My office is right next door to the mfg plant so I see them often.

I would go with a beater to start, no matter the style. Once you are set up, established and in a routine get something nicer.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
That 248 is $100k+ and is new enough that there really is no used inventory out there. My office is right next door to the mfg plant so I see them often.
Wow is the 248 really over $100K !!

My Eastern Lobster 22' cost me just over $50K new and it came with a beautiful trailer! While I realize the 2' additional length and 6" added beam makes a difference, I never would of thought the price was more than double!!

Dan
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

My Eastern Lobster 22' cost me just over $50K new and it came with a beautiful trailer! While I realize the 2' additional length and 6" added beam makes a difference, I never would of thought the price was more than double!!

Dan
They are also throwing in a nice embroidered hat if you order this month, so there is that.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Yep, that's a lot of money for that boat. They do a nice job but you pay for it.

I looked into the 248 Explorer a few years ago, before the Islander came out. It did not have quite enough deck space for me so we were taking about doing the 248 stretched a bit. Nice boat, but I just could see spending the $$$, plus the lead time was too long at the point they finally got the pricing to me.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #18
Island Girl

Default It Depends on the Island and the distance from shore

If you are on the broads side of Rattlesnake a flat bottom boat will be a much rougher ride than a v hull. If you can't have curtains, at least a bimini. We spent many years with just that and it kept us and our stuff from getting soaked or baked.

Hauling stuff is a fact of life. It never ends. I like the refrigerator concept above. Walk arounds are super for island living.

I like the outboard, but had an I/O until last year and it never froze, though I worried in late October.

There is probably no such thing as an all around boat, so getting there safely is the first consideration. You can pull skiers and tubes with a jetski!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
winnipiseogee (04-09-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default You need to use it

All good thoughts above, but you don't know what works for you until you do it. What works this year may not work when the kids are teenagers. If you're an islander, almost anything will work and you'll be happy on the island. If you're a boater, you'll go to the boat show every year just to caress the fiberglass and dream about one that is a foot longer and 6" wider, with an extra big...?.(engine, sunpad, head, bimini, swim platform...).

So, I think I'm a boater. Happy to get in the boat to go to Center Harbor, Wolfeboro for a newspaper or two screws and a hose clamp. (Did you know trhe hardware store in Paugus Bay has its own dock?) Other family members say "put it on the list, we'll get it next trip." Of course, as an islander, I know that my neighbor has two screws and a clamp in his tool shed and he knows what tools I have. We're islanders, after all. But, neither of us has an ice cream stand next to the tool shed, so we're boaters.

All this advice is fun, but we each make our own choices based on what is available for the price today. And the kids want to go by themselves, (need small boat #2) and I keep spilling the hors d'oeuvres on the sunset cruise (need bigger boat #1).

Here's a choice that nobody has mentioned. You may buy (or rent) a camp that includes a boat. Problem solved for the first year and you'll have the experience to say "I like this boat" or "I want something different". After all, the previous (island) owners used it for years.

So what's the "ideal island boat?" The next one will be perfect.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #20
winnipiseogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
So what's the "ideal island boat?" The next one will be perfect.
Hahahaha - you will notice that before even deciding on an island I want to decide on a boat! I grew up in a family of boaters so I'm all too used to the desire for the next and newest.

This discussion has been a blast though because I've never considered this type of boat before.

I think - based on everything I've heard - my first boat will be a utility/beater boat. And any decisions that results in "my first... of many boats" is a good decision in my mind!!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #21
MDoug

Default Ideal Island Boat

We have a 22' C-Dory w/90 hp Suzuki outboard and rely on it for a work boat and fun cruiser. Wallas heater, windshield wipers, gps, radar/sonar, porta potty, nice cabin. Great boat! Bought in 2005 at Y Landing.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDoug For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I think it is hard to get one boat that does everything you want. That's why we have so many.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #23
Orion

Default Island is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think it is hard to get one boat that does everything you want. That's why we have so many.
Yep, we have many types of watercraft from kayaks to pontoon. When you live on the island you need to depend on your boat, so having at least two is key. We have a refurbished/rebuild 18' aluminum runabout as our shuttle boat and a 25' tri-toon for handling large groups of guest and their baggage as well as floating tours or sunset cruises. The two make a perfect combo.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #24
winnipiseogee

Got the eastern brochure today. Imagine my surprise seeing both the Tuftonboro and Moultonborough boats pictured in the brochure!

Didn't even realize they had eastern boats!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton's Fire Boat is an Eastern also.

Quote:
Got the eastern brochure today. Imagine my surprise seeing both the Tuftonboro and Moultonborough boats pictured in the brochure!

Didn't even realize they had eastern boats!
Alton had a big fuss a few years ago over re-powering the boat from a single outboard to a pair. Finally got a warrant article approved.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #26
Mink Islander

Default Two boats minimum….

I suggest you get a work boat -- something you can haul anything and everything in from furniture to groceries… And then the family boat as primary transport/runabout. Possible to combine the two, but I like having an older work boat that's open and rugged.

We have a '82 Whaler Montauk with a dodger (and down rigger for fishing!) and a 25' Wellcraft bow rider. Both serve us well. Wellcraft is the summer family boat. The Whaler is the work boat/fall boat for when the water gets too low at our docks for the I/O on the Wellcraft.

I also like the redundancy of having two boats on the island in case one won't start or needs service.

All personal choice really.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #27
winnipiseogee

I think the 2 boat idea is a likely candidate as my wife does not care for any of the "work boats" I've shown her.

Currently leaning strongly towards the Eastern Sisu.

http://easternboats.com/220-sisu/

At $50k its not as bad as the 24 ft and my father in-law (a retired lobsterman) thinks its the most beautiful pleasure craft he has seen! I'd love a used one but they only started manufacturing them this year.

My only concern is the kids and the low sides but I can always lock them in the cabin!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #28
ishoot308

Quote:
I think the 2 boat idea is a likely candidate as my wife does not care for any of the "work boats" I've shown her.

Currently leaning strongly towards the Eastern Sisu.

http://easternboats.com/220-sisu/

At $50k its not as bad as the 24 ft and my father in-law (a retired lobsterman) thinks its the most beautiful pleasure craft he has seen! I'd love a used one but they only started manufacturing them this year.

My only concern is the kids and the low sides but I can always lock them in the cabin!!!
Look for a used 22' Eastern Lobster. They are almost identical to the Sisu. I see them on craigslist occasionally.

Dan
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #29
ursa minor

OK, I'm a little jealous if you get the Sisu 22.

It's funny you mention freeboard and little ones. When we first got the Cruisers, my kids were 2 and 4. It's a pretty deep boat (it has built in steps inside to help) and one of our friends made a comment that was along the lines of "well, the kids couldn't fall out of that boat with a running start". They never did fall out of the boat, off the pontoon boat, the whaler, the dock or anything else for that matter. They're now 17 and 19, lifelong islanders. Point here is that time flies when you're having fun and they are little for such a short time. Having good ground rules like always having their PFDs on when on the boat, not going out on docks without Mom or Dad, always being seated when the boat is moving and so on will go a long way towards their safety and your peace of mind. The Sisu is a very capable boat, I wouldn't be too concerned about the freeboard.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #30
MooseisLoose

What about a Parker?
MooseisLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #31
winnipiseogee

Grrr..... sounds like Harillas can not accommodate boats with a fixed top. That changes things. Guess I shouldn't be thinking too much about the boat before I decide on an island!!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Grrr..... sounds like Harillas can not accommodate boats with a fixed top. That changes things. Guess I shouldn't be thinking too much about the boat before I decide on an island!!
Right cause you need to start thinking snowmobiles too for the winter time.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #33
codeman671

If you are looking to be on Cow and coming out of Harilla, the ride back and forth is sheltered from the Broads so you will be out of the elements more so than someone coming across from Gilford. That being said, I think you could go with something cheaper and less extravagant than an Eastern and be able to keep it at Harilla.

If you were coming across the lake I think and Eastern would make sense, but then again I do not think the 22' is great in very rough water.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #34
gf2020

A Parker 2120 Sport Cabin will outperform that Eastern and there are plenty available on the used market.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #35
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Our Island Boat

Much of this has already been noted however these comments are in the context of our specific situation.

Foremost I agree that you should buy the island camp 1st and then tailor the boat to your specific situation.

Our primary island boat is a 23’ Slickcraft SS235: deep V hull, lots of freeboard, full canvas, 1,800 lb capacity, cabin with center door, reasonable passenger seating and lots of room for “stuff”. The cabin holds all the grandkids PFD’s, tool box, maps, etc.

Our dockage has the depth for the deep V hull and outdrive all season long, not the case for all situations.

We normally operate with the aft curtain off and when warmer the side curtains are off. If it is raining then all the canvas is up. That happens several times a year.

I have to dock on an east by northeast heading and often with the NW wind hitting the boat on the left side. This means aft and side curtains off to minimize the wind impact on the boat. If I had a boat with a pilot house like the Eastern 22 lobster I would want removable side curtains rather than full hard sides. We also have the 2nd dock that we can let the wind blow us over to if we miss the main dock due to high wind, often we just plan on doing that.

We often have to back out into good size waves; the high freeboard helps a lot. If we had a boat with a low stern then scuppers would be wanted. A tritoon would also be fine.

We carry a lot of stuff including long items. The Slickcraft had a center cabin door so 18’ long lumber, ladders, rugs etc. can be laid flat on the floor extending into the cabin. Many boats with walk around cabins have the door in front of the passenger seat, much less useful.

Riding to the mainland and back in rough water is always tough going. The deep V hull rides well and the canvas top plus side curtains keeps the spray out.

Over the years we have looked into a replacement several times. In the end we opted to pay the relatively modest cost of keeping the old boat in good condition. Should we ever replace it; a 24’ tritoon with easy up and down helm area curtains or a used Eastern 22 lobster would be the 1st things to look at in our situation.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #36
Barney Bear

Default Eastern Boats Feaured on TV Tonight

NH Chronicle [WMUR Channel 9] is including a piece on Easter Boats on their program this evening [Thursday, April 17th] at 7:00 PM.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (04-17-2014), winnipiseogee (04-17-2014)