Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default 600+ acres-trails-Page Pond, Meredith

Anyone know if the unpaved parking lot for accessing the new trail system has been built yet? Located down a side road off Route 25, just above the Moulton Farm, the planned parking area will give xc skiers, hikers, bicylists, snowmobilers, hunters, horse riders, dog walkers and pedestrians, but NO motorcycles & NO atv's, a place to park at the 567-acre Page Pond conservation area.

You know, considering it's the Meredith property taxpayers who are paying for it, they should take the opportunity to use it. Othewise, it is sort of like buying a ticket to a movie and then never seeing the show.

So, what's happening with the parking lot and the trails system? Has anything been created? What's the latest?

The Page Pond conservation area purchase was completed in January, 2009, with two purposes in mind: To stop the spread of residential homes and new roads, and to create a public use - conservation area - trail system within its' 567 acres of hardwood & softwood hillsides on Meredith Neck.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-16-2009 at 07:35 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Logging is what's happening at the 567-acre Page Pond Conservation area right now. Judging by the load of logs on the truck, it looks like the area is being thinned out for saw logs. As far as I could tell there wasn't any clear cutting to be seen, just selective take-downs of mature saw log type trees. Thinning a forest is probably a good thing when done in a controlled and intelligent plan as it helps to create a healthier forest over time, plus creates space for more sunlight and a less densely packed woodlands.

It looked like a relatively small logging operation; one skidder was all I saw.

Looking around for any user friendly additions like a parking area, or signs indicating the Page Pond conservation area, nothing yet to be seen. It well could be that the logging is the first step before items like a parking lot and signs get installed which certainly makes some sense. Who knows....maybe the unpaved parking lot will be located in the same location that now is home base for the small logging operation of trucks, chipper, skidder, etc.

How to get to the Page Pond conservation area? Turn off Route 25 onto Quarry Rd, a paved road that is home to the Moulton Farm retail food & produce store. Quarry Rd runs about one mile changing to a dirt & snow covered road that is probably closed with a heavy chain hung between two posts across the road. It well could be that this chain-gate is the entry boundary to Page Pond although as previously mentioned there are no signs in place. One can easily see the pond from the access road looking down through the leafless trees.

Will Page Pond be available for use this winter......that's a good question....I do not know?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
winnipiseogee

Spent a couple of hours snowshoeing the property today but I did have to access it from Blueberry Hill instead of the entrance near Moulton's. This is the area that was logged first but the trails look in great shape and the logging seems to be quite limited. It was getting pretty overgrown so I think the logging should be beneficial. I heard that they don't want to start putting up signage until after the loggers have left but it certainly seemed open and accessible. Multiple tracks from snowshoers, XC skiers and snowmachines. Anyway, I agree with FLL - Get out and use it!!! Its beautiful with tons of wildlife and lots of great, open trails that are easy to use in the winter!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote