Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
skisox24

Default Lobster Pound Disaster

Dining out is sometimes a convenience, sometimes a gourmet extravaganza, and sometimes a social event. Last night my party of three sought a quick dinner out prior to attending a concert at Meadowbrook. We were seated at a table on the deck at the Lobster Pound at Weirs Beach at 6:55PM. We told our waitress that we had concert tickets and would like to be given attentive service.

We ordered promptly, one round of drinks, an appetizer and an entree. The service was outrageously slow. There was one period when our waitress was not in sight for what seemed like one-half hour. Our drinks arrived within a reasonable time, but certainly not promptly. Our appetizers took forever (peel-and-eat shrimp should take a lot of time)? What really ticked us off was that, incredible as it may seem, we encountered peel-and-eat shrimp that were literally inedible. They were chewy and tough, like cardboard. We chose not to complain and left the shrimp uneaten, and instead focused on getting our entrees.

Another arduous wait for our waitress with the three of us craning our necks trying to locate some sign of her. We asked a bus boy, and then another waitress, to please locate ours and send her to our table. It was now after 8PM and we still hadn't seen our entrees. Eventually the waitress came to our table and informed us that there was a 30 minute wait between the placing of our order and the delivery of the food, and she announced that our appetizers arrived 28 minutes after our order. She also informed us that our entree order was sixth in line at the kitchen. She never informed us of that timing when we first ordered, and when we told her of our need to make the concert. She spoke with the manager and they were able to advance our order, and the entrees did indeed arrive five minutes later.

My cajun grouper was so dry that I left more than half of it uneaten. And I am an inveterate "clean plate" kind of guy. My son's ahi tuna was of inferior quality and was tough and tasteless, although the risotto was passable.

We paid our bill of $113 for the pain and suffering that we endured and left a 10% gratuity and vowed never to return.

We had dined at the Lobster Pound two or three time previously and enjoyed the ability to dine outdoors, and accepted the fact that their fare was not goumet quality....but we never had an experience quite like this. Last night was, without any close competition at all, the absolute worst restaurant experience of my entire life. Congratulations Lobster Pound.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skisox24 For This Useful Post:
This'nThat (08-09-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default But it was a great concert

Hopefully the bad experience did not ruin your show. Jason Aldean did a great job!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
weim2

Thumbs up Shoulda gone to

I am truly sorry about your experience at Lobster Pound. You shoulda gone to Weirs The Beef in the Weirs. It would have been prompt and delicious!
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
mike ray

Default Inaccurate is putting it mildly

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisox24 View Post
Dining out is sometimes a convenience, sometimes a gourmet extravaganza, and sometimes a social event. Last night my party of three sought a quick dinner out prior to attending a concert at Meadowbrook. We were seated at a table on the deck at the Lobster Pound at Weirs Beach at 6:55PM. We told our waitress that we had concert tickets and would like to be given attentive service.

We ordered promptly, one round of drinks, an appetizer and an entree. The service was outrageously slow. There was one period when our waitress was not in sight for what seemed like one-half hour. Our drinks arrived within a reasonable time, but certainly not promptly. Our appetizers took forever (peel-and-eat shrimp should take a lot of time)? What really ticked us off was that, incredible as it may seem, we encountered peel-and-eat shrimp that were literally inedible. They were chewy and tough, like cardboard. We chose not to complain and left the shrimp uneaten, and instead focused on getting our entrees.

Another arduous wait for our waitress with the three of us craning our necks trying to locate some sign of her. We asked a bus boy, and then another waitress, to please locate ours and send her to our table. It was now after 8PM and we still hadn't seen our entrees. Eventually the waitress came to our table and informed us that there was a 30 minute wait between the placing of our order and the delivery of the food, and she announced that our appetizers arrived 28 minutes after our order. She also informed us that our entree order was sixth in line at the kitchen. She never informed us of that timing when we first ordered, and when we told her of our need to make the concert. She spoke with the manager and they were able to advance our order, and the entrees did indeed arrive five minutes later.

My cajun grouper was so dry that I left more than half of it uneaten. And I am an inveterate "clean plate" kind of guy. My son's ahi tuna was of inferior quality and was tough and tasteless, although the risotto was passable.

We paid our bill of $113 for the pain and suffering that we endured and left a 10% gratuity and vowed never to return.

We had dined at the Lobster Pound two or three time previously and enjoyed the ability to dine outdoors, and accepted the fact that their fare was not goumet quality....but we never had an experience quite like this. Last night was, without any close competition at all, the absolute worst restaurant experience of my entire life. Congratulations Lobster Pound.
Skisox, I'm sorry to hear that you had the "worst dining experience of your life , by far" at the Lobster Pound. These are tough words for my family and my staff to swallow. I feel I am obligated to respond to such, harsh criticisim.
Let me start off by saying, if you want a quick meal before a concert, on a Friday night, in season, at 7pm, you definately picked the wrong restaurant. We have never claimed to be a fast food restaurant. Everything we make at The Lobster Pound is made fresh by hand, and cooked to order. From the chicken fingers and french fries, to our daily specials prepared by chef Dog Moyer (formerly of abondante). Our deserts are made in house by our pastry chef. We bread our own fresh clams and calmari. We do not consider The Pound to be a gourmet restaurant, we are upscale/casual. By this I mean our food is a bit upscale with items like sushi grade ahi tuna, prime steaks, and steamed lobsters, but feel free to dine in a bathing suit and flip flops. The average cook time for any of our meals is around 30mins, from the time it is placed by our server, untill it reaches your table.
I would like to talk about your experience more specifically. The server you had that evening was Amanda. She has been with us a year now, and we have never had any complaints about her service. To the contrary, she has been praised by many customers, and has a lot of regulars who request her. I printed out a copy of your complaint and sat down with Amanda to ask her what had happened with your table. She said you never informed her before ordering that you were in a rush to get to meadowbrook. Amanda asked me if I remebered expediting your entrees to the front of the line that night so you could make the concert, and I did remember as I was floating from the front to the back of the house to make sure the evening was flowing smoothly. I remeber asking her at that time, both of us standing in the kitchen, did they tell you they were in a hurry, they were headed to meadowbrook before they ordered? She replied "no."
28 minutes for your peel and eat shrimp is unacceptable. That was a mistake on our part. But you said they were like cardboard and unedible. I asked Amanda if you said anything about this to her, and if the shrimp had been eaten, and she said every shrimp on the plate was eaten. No complaints. Our waitresses are trained to bring any food that isn't eaten by a customer to a manager before it is disposed of, so the manager can check and see if the food was ok, Amanda said there was nothing but shells on the plate.
Your entrees were out in less than 35mins. On a night where we servered over 400 meals, I think that is very reasonable. You stated that the cajun grouper special was dry, we served 48 cajun grouper specials that evening, yours is the only one we recieved a complaint on. The ahi tuna your son had is a sushi grade ahi tuna, and is a staple on our menu. I apologize if it wasn't too you liking but we never get complaints on that dish. When I asked Amanda why she didnt bring the uneaten meals to a manager, she told me that the food had been completely eaten. You failed to mention the mussels and ceasar salad that you had, I hope those were ok. I was told the plates wear completly cleaned so I can only assume they were. This brings me to one obvious question, if things had gone so terribly wrong, why didn't you ask to see a manager? The worst dining experience of your life, yet you chose not to say anything to anyone, including your server?
I chose to respond to your complaint because of it's inconsistancies, and the malice with which it was written. I appreciate feedback and constructive criticisim, but to say "worst dining exprience of my life, congragultions Lobster Pound" is not warrented. The internet has made everyone an overnight, expert food critic. Words like your can damage a restaurants reputation. I wouldn't mind if the words were accurate, but they are not.
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mike ray For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-03-2010), CGI3 (08-18-2010), jkjoshuatree (08-03-2010), joey2665 (08-04-2010), macshpman (08-07-2010), RamJet (08-03-2010), secondcurve (08-04-2010), Smitty1 (08-06-2010), TavernManager (08-06-2010), Webbsatwinni (08-04-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Neko

Default Lobster pound

Mike,
I have never gone to your place for a meal. But after your post you can bet I will.
You tell it like it is and if people want Macdonald for supper go there.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
RailroadJoe

Mike Ray is correct. I If you want fast food go to McD's Plan ahead a little better.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
jetskier

Post Not the only one

Just to keep the discussion somewhat in balance here:

We also had a really bad experience with the Lobster Pound and have not returned. It was a while ago, but it was so memorable that going to the Lobster Pound elicites groans when ever it is brought up.

We went out to eat with a large group and the orders were completely mucked. I ended up waiting 2 1/2 hours for my meal and ended up telling them to just forget it. I sent email to Mike after the incident and never got a response....and yes we talked to the manager that night.

So, while I personally have no opinion about this incident...there are others.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
robmac

Mike,I would like to say after eating at your place several times that the food and service is very good. I eat out quite abit as I travel for work and look forward to going back to the lake to the places I know I will get good food and service and yours is certainly one of those. Keep up the good job.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
hazelnut

Thumbs up 4 for 4

I'm 4 for 4 on the "Pound."

So far 4 great experiences. I have raved about the newly renovated "pound" to several people. I've gone at several different times during different seasons. All visits were great. Twice on the snowmobile, one of those times received some freebies and discounts for coming on the sled. I went this summer and my wife and I enjoyed a dinner followed by drinks up on the roof deck complete with a live band and the sox game was on the flat screens to boot.

Food was great and I have sampled a wide variety of fish from haddock to scallops and everything in between, except the Lobster, not a fan. Ironic huh? I have been with others who have had Lobster and they have gobbled it up.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Marko

Default Lobster Pound Website....

we were at the Weirs all last week and tried out a lot of places and would have tried the Lobster Pound....
as it always seemed pretty busy when we drove by.......and I'm a Lobster nut that use to live in NH.....
but when I called about the twin lobsters they have on the menu on their website for $19.99........
we were told they only have them in winter for $19.99?..... so that was bad karma to start with.......
plus what we were reading on here told us to play it safe.....
and we didn't feel like taking any chances while on vacation
so we went down to Johnsons past Alton Bay and I had the twin lobsters there for $21........
which was one of the best meals we had all last week.......
and now I understand why there is always a long line at Johnsons....

Marko
St Petersburg, FL
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
jetskier

Post I did!

For my part, I did talk to the manager multiple times that evening. We had the dissappearing waitress and I sought out the manager. I was told mulitiple times that there was a screwup and we would be next out of the kitchen. I posted on the board and sent a message to Mike. Nada... When you screw up, you make it right. They never did...as such, I just say it like it is. Your mileage may vary.

Jetskier
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
mike ray

Default We aren't perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
For my part, I did talk to the manager multiple times that evening. We had the dissappearing waitress and I sought out the manager. I was told mulitiple times that there was a screwup and we would be next out of the kitchen. I posted on the board and sent a message to Mike. Nada... When you screw up, you make it right. They never did...as such, I just say it like it is. Your mileage may vary.

Jetskier
We certainly aren't perfect jetskier, but the incidents you are refering to were years ago and I did adress them here on the forum. When we first opened we did have problems getting the food out of the kitchen, but that is over 3 years now, and we have corrected those problems. I am not making any excuses, but opening a 300+ seat restaurant is quite a daunting task. We made every mistake in the beginning, and continue to make mistakes even now, but The Lobster Pound has become a totally different restaurant . Try us again, and when you come in ask for me or my brother Rich. Ask for Jen or Bob, they are our managers. Introduce yourself, and tell us exactly what you want, and I'm sure we can accomodate you. Please don't show up on Friday or Saturday night in season at 8pm without a reservation!!!!!!!
I give you my word we will do the best we can and if you are not happy, the meal is on us. I just wanted to adress one other thing. Unfortunately, this past spring our web designer Paul from Belmont, NH passed away. He was a great guy and will be missed. We have been unable to change any of the content on the website because he had total control. We are in the process of building a new website, and should have it up and running soon. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mike ray For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (08-03-2010), Resident 2B (08-03-2010), secondcurve (08-04-2010), Waterbaby (08-10-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
.... We were seated at a table on the deck at the Lobster Pound at Weirs Beach at 6:55PM. We told our waitress that we had concert tickets and would like to be given attentive service......
JMHO but

1) You expected better service that everyone else?

2) At 6:55pm maybe you chose the wrong place for a "quick meal" before a concert.
AFVet (09-23-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
trfour

Post First Of All, There Is No Such Thing As Rush Hour..

. here!
#1.The Lobster Pound has always been a great place for us! Good food, service and prices. Since 1992.

#2. Friday nights can be very busy, as some folks arrive here after driving from long distances away, and are very hungry.

#3. Now, if you should just happen to have concert tickets, to get to, and short of time, they have you covered, with good food right there on the premises. Meadowbrook, ' ROCKS TOO '!

#4. Please, do not set yourself up to a bad experience, and plan ahead. Sides, fast food with the feathers and hooves still on, cause heartburn.

Pills for desert?... Not in my world.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
jkjoshuatree

Talking VtSteve...You're Swell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
First off, it takes a real owner/manager to address this type of slam. Mike runs a tight ship there. I'm sure problems occur, wait times linger like anywhere. My first shock was how brave someone would be to start dinner at near 7:00 PM and be headed to a concert. I did that once, never again. I screwed up.

If something was inedible, or just plain bad, a manager/waitress should always be brought over. The Pound is a very busy place. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. Complain loud and frequently. I hate to myself, but will if I have to. Mike's the man for customer service, and I found the entire staff to be pretty well trained. If Mike knew of your troubles, he would have been there in a flash.

Same goes for someone waiting 2 1/2 hours anywhere. You have to draw the line somewhere. Restaurants always will make mistakes, there are lots of new people, summer seasonal businesses especially. Speak up. It's not the proper time to speak up a few days later on a message board. It's fine if you do. But I would have demanded the check and cancelled orders at that point.

Restaurants are particularly vulnerable to "never come backs". I have a few in my memory as well. I regret the ones where I didn't speak up after a bad visit. Test them out again when your schedule permits. If you still don't like them, fine. Nobody likes every place for sure. But report back sometime.

PS: General rule of thumb and words of wisdom, from a planner.

Never, ever order appetizers if you're on a schedule. It generally slows down the order increases your blood pressure, and can lead to writing nasty reviews on the internet
Seriously...I've read a few of your posts and you seem like a level-headed genuine person with everyone else's best interest at heart (a rare commodity these days).

So I just wanted to commend you for being a decent human being!
Winnigirl (08-04-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
Coolbreeze

The nice thing about not being able to please 100% of the people 100% of the time is that those who don't like it can go somewhere else and leave families like us who love it to get a seat sooner! Keep up the good work.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #17
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default 2nd Slam on Lobster Pound from SkiSox24

Just a little interesting fact. I looked back and skisox24 had a post back in September 2008 which was not very complimentary of the Lobster Pound. They also went to Meadowbrook that night. Sounds a little suspect to me, since they seem to say nothing but good things about another seafood place which can stand on it's own without any help from negative posters.

I respect an owner who is willing to check the facts and stand up for his business even if his post may not have been popular. Why some have to try to ruin the reputation of a business and slant the facts is way beyond me.

I have not been to the Lobster Pound as it is a little bit of a drive (but I plan to now) and do not know the owners, just been sitting back the past few years reading and wonder why some take great pleasure in posting negative comments about the Lobster Pound since day one.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
dpg

I can take both sides here easily.

First, if your in that much of a hurry as it's been said before go to Mcdonalds. If you want a better dining experience than a Big Mac and most people do start out MUCH earlier. However, there's been too many posts good AND bad about the Pound. It always seems like all the bad ones are exagerated (sp) what a coincidence!! There just has to be some truth to the bad experiences, I've just got to believe it.

These days a restaurant needs to get their act together quickly with their website if their going to even maintain one. It takes a week to find someone - anyone and post a message that a new site is under construction. Getting this message at least is better than inaccurate info.

BTW I've eaten there (recently) liked it...Didn't love it. I've had better meals and also worse. I have nothing to prove or gain here just another forum reader with an opinion.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd say the Pound is a dead-in-the-middle 5.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
dpg

Wish we could get the real-live Phantom Gourmet there (from T.V.) to settle this dispute!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Wish we could get the real-live Phantom Gourmet there (from T.V.) to settle this dispute!
We do have the Phantom Gormand as a forum menber though!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
jrc

I've only been to the Lobster Pound once and it was right after the remodel so I won't comment on the food.

But let's talk about time, if I go to a busy restaurant and I can't get a table right away, that's just my tough luck. But if you give me a table, I expect prompt service. Shouldn't I be able to expect to get my food and eat in an hour? 65 minutes seems like a long time to wait for an entree, unless the customer is pushing the server off.

I've always felt that the Lobster Pound was more about the bar scene than the food. Am I wrong?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
sa meredith

Default 50/50

I have been to LP, 9, maybe 10 times. And stated here before...the outdoor, 3rd floor bar is perhaps the finest spot to be at the lake on a warm summer, late afternoon/early evening...although you have to hit them on the right day as it is not always open (I think Thurs/Sun only, or something like that). Anyway, I have to say that the food has always been very good to excellent, and the wait staff very friendly...however, put me in the camp with those saying things never go quite perfectly. And I think my sample size is sufficient...10 times over three years. Always something...never a huge problem, as we certainly continue to go, but always something. The wait seems much longer than most restaurants, and we often eat out at peak hours. To me 30/40 minutes seems like a long time.
Other problems such as fish coming out fried instead of baked, and things like this, seem to occur often, but not the end of the world.
On my most recent trip, I had some time to kill a few Sundays back, before meeting friends to go to the Zak Brown show (not my thing, but always fun to hang out on the lawn over at Meadowbrook). I went up to the outdoor bar, caught the end of the Sox...so it must have been 4:30ish. Had some drinks, and ordered a burger Mid rare, with a slight lean toward rare being OK. Waited waited waited....waited waited waited some more. Finally asked, and the bartender said, "Holy Cow...wow, that has been a long time, let me check" and he came back with a cooked thru, completely dehydrated burger. And he knew it, and very quickly offered to replace it, but I was out of time, and needed to eat. So I had a few bites. Surprised it did not come off the bill, but I did indeed have half of it, so fair enough.
I didn't leave there angry or anything, but curious as to why something always turns wrong.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
NoBozo

Default Just Wondering

The LP owner stated....."On a night where we servered over 400 meals".....

Lets say these meals were served between 5:00 and 9:00 pm...that's 240 minutes. (14,000 seconds) So 400 three course sit down meals would make it ONE meal out the kitchen door every 36 seconds or so...for four straight hours.

That sounds like Fast Food to me, unless my math is off. That would give McDs a run for their money. Wow: How many tables, staff, and sittings does it take to do that? The kitchen must be a madhouse. I'm not suprised a meal gets screwed up once in awhile. Trouble is....That ONE meal is the one we heard about. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #24
mike ray

Default we serve late

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
The LP owner stated....."On a night where we servered over 400 meals".....

Lets say these meals were served between 5:00 and 9:00 pm...that's 240 minutes. (14,000 seconds) So 400 three course sit down meals would make it ONE meal out the kitchen door every 36 seconds or so...for four straight hours.

That sounds like Fast Food to me, unless my math is off. That would give McDs a run for their money. Wow: How many tables, staff, and sittings does it take to do that? The kitchen must be a madhouse. I'm not suprised a meal gets screwed up once in awhile. Trouble is....That ONE meal is the one we heard about. NB
Nobozo, I'm just letting you know we did 436 meals between 4pm-11pm. So the kitchen hours are actually a little longer than you may have thought. Thats not counting lunch from 12pm-4pm, we did 117 lunches that friday. We are a big restuaurant, 350 seats+, thats counting indoor and outdoor.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike ray View Post
Nobozo, I'm just letting you know we did 436 meals between 4pm-11pm. So the kitchen hours are actually a little longer than you may have thought. Thats not counting lunch from 12pm-4pm, we did 117 lunches that friday. We are a big restuaurant, 350 seats+, thats counting indoor and outdoor.
There was no offense intended Mike...I was just talking DINNER...5:00..9:00pm. Real People Dinner Time. How many people come in at 10:30 pm and expect to be served dinner?

I assumed when you mentioned 400 meals you were talking about DINNER....which was when the unhappy customer was there. NB

BTW: I guess you didn't see my compliment that you were able to produce that many meals in a short time.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #26
mike ray

Default none taken

Quote:
There was no offense intended Mike...I was just talking DINNER...5:00..9:00pm. Real People Dinner Time. How many people come in at 10:30 pm and expect to be served dinner?

I assumed when you mentioned 400 meals you were talking about DINNER....which was when the unhappy customer was there. NB

BTW: I guess you didn't see my compliment that you were able to produce that many meals in a short time.
No offense taken at all nobozo! I just wanted to clarify.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #27
gtagrip

Quote:
Yup, and the original poster has slammed the LP before and this time as well, and then is never heard from again to defend his/her position once it is made and he/she is challenged on it. Basically a one trick pony.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #28
Rattlesnake Guy

This is not that kind of forum getagrip.
Please consider deleting your post on this family site.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (08-06-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #29
robmac

I agree RG,the Lobster Pound is IMHO a very good place and concerned about their customers. I am not related or affiliated with them but have gone several times and had good food and relaxed. It seems to me that a verry select few want to pick on a subject and beat it to the ground. If you go to any business and do not have a pleasant experiance that is the time to address it and if the management doesn't choose to correct it then maybe look at options. But to blast an establishment the way this was done to me just doen't sit well. I would have spoken with someone in charge and or called to voice my dilema. Agan JMHO. LP I still like the service and the food and view from the deck.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #30
Winnipesaukee Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Yup, and the original poster has slammed the LP before and this time as well, and then is never heard from again to defend his/her position once it is made and he/she is challenged on it. Basically a one trick pony.
Yup, my thoughts exactly, "Let’s stir up a little controversy, it's good for business..." It seems a little odd that Mr. Mike knew all the particulars of just what the poster had the exact times and had the right response after he admitted he had over four hundred customs that night. Now he’s got the sympathy vote of the forum after this terrible injustice. That’s got to be helping business.

I don't know Mike Ray or the Lobster Pound or the poster. I've never been to LP and will never go there, not because of this farce, but more to the point that I can't eat seafood. All the more for you.

I find any thread linked to the Lobster Pound will always be interesting reading and have to check in often for the latest installment. However, as a businessman I know the value of keeping your name out in front of the public's eye and find this just a little too odd.

I'm just saying... not accusing
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #31
Irrigation Guy

WD....i think you got it wrong, but good conspiracy theory though. I think MR went back and reviewed the information in question with the particular server from that evening. He then had all the details from the server and the bill for that particualr dinner to review with.

Go back and read the others posts from the original poster and let us know if you still feel that way.

Never been there myself either, nor am I friends with any restaurant owners or employees, so no reason to have an agenda.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #32
Resident 2B

Although I have only been to the Lobster Pound a few times, I enjoyed each visit. The food was good and the service has been resonably prompt and friendly.

No idea why someone would expect to have a sit down dinner on a busy night in 45 minutes or less. That makes no sense to me.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #33
no-engine

Default Fyi

I drive by often between 8:30 - 9:30 am, northbound, 4-6 days a week yearround.
During and the week before bike week, I could not even see that there was ever a restaurant building behind all the temporary tents and vinyl signs. I could not even see a pedestrian opening. Where would clients park a vehicle?

I hope they had a decent week!
Of course I admit that I have two opposing opinions of the entire event:
1. good for the region. Bikers will return with family for other events.
2. It's positive for only those businesses that are in direct proximity to events.

I personally know several restaurants (8-15 miles from the hub) who's regular clients stay away, therefore it's a down week for many. It's a "live with it" down week for many unrelated businesses.

It's all about "customer service"!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #34
VtSteve

I've been to the LP and thoroughly enjoy the place. I know what it is, and I like it. Nice bar, good menu, I love the ribs, and the staff has served me well.

What I don;t get is why every thread about the LP is so contentious

There's nothing even remotely close to a hot button topic here. It's a big restaurant in a tourist area. It is what it is. I think Mike and company have done a good job, but opinions differ.

I'm really curious why their are actual attacks all the time on the LP, I guess I really don't get it
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #35
dpg

HUH????? What the heck did I miss. Did this thread totally do a 360 or am I just totally asleep at the wheel?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #36
Lucky1

Here's the thing. We went to a local restaurant recently and both of us had a poor tasting swordfish dinner. The fish just did not taste good at all. Neither of us wanted to disturb the other four in our group all of whom seemed pleased with their dinners so we let it go and kept our mouths shut.

I have already voted with my feet on that restaurand and rarely go there any more. If you do not like the Lobster Pound, then don't go there anymore. If you like the Lobster Pound, go. It is very simple really. I had the double lobster there earlier in the summer and it was a good dinner. I wrote an honest review and let it go at that. I have not gone back because it ended up costing much more than simply cooking the lobsters at home and one can have a potato and corn and dessert etc. The lobster came only with one side and the dessert was five dollars and it just was too expensive for something that is easily cooked at home. It was a nice enough meal and a nice atmosphere though.

I see a difference between mentioning a bad meal and going over it and over it. I would not write a bad review on this Forum about a restaurant even though it might save a restaurant in the long run. If no one complains, and people vote with their feet, the customer base falls off. This is not good for the restaurant. When I hear groupies all rush in to protect their favorite restaurant, I wonder how the restaurant will know that the food was not good and look into it. The restaurant may just think that the economy is off.

I think we all know that whoever it was did not like their dinner at the Lobster Pound. Were I that owner, I would offer another meal in good faith. Say I am sorry that you did not like the meal and want to have you come back and write after you eat when you are not so rushed and we are not so rushed. These things happen. It isn't brain cancer. Obviously if it goes on then no good will come of this experience. Show this lad that you can cook a good meal and try to improve if you can, but in the end the buck stops with you, the restaurant owners. If most people are satisfied you will not have a problem. Any person who complains in the fashion of this poster, needs to immediately be invited back with a olive branch not a list of excuses. That is just good business.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
jetskier (08-06-2010), Meredith lady (08-07-2010), VitaBene (08-07-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #37
VitaBene

Quote:
I've been to the LP and thoroughly enjoy the place. I know what it is, and I like it. Nice bar, good menu, I love the ribs, and the staff has served me well.

There's nothing even remotely close to a hot button topic here. It's a big restaurant in a tourist area. It is what it is. I think Mike and company have done a good job, but opinions differ.

I'm really curious why their are actual attacks all the time on the LP, I guess I really don't get it
Steve,

You are correct- the LP does seem to be polarizing. Perhaps because diners seem to have (based on the posts above and in other threads) widely varying experiences.

I stop in from time to time when out on the bike and have lunch. It can take a few minutes longer than I would like but if you are sitting on the roof deck, the views outweigh the wait!

Last edited by VitaBene; 08-13-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: removed extra letter
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #38
robmac

I agree,the veiw from the deck is great which is where I go. And when it comes to food as long as it's good (which I have always found it to be there ) I don't mind it abit. I think tomorrow will be a great day for some time with my daughter on the deck.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #39
twoplustwo

Default amateur hour

We were seated at a table on the deck at the Lobster Pound at Weirs Beach at 6:55PM. We told our waitress that we had concert tickets and would like to be given attentive service.

Showing up without reservations at 7pm on a weekend night at the height of the season and expecting anything other than waiting your turn makes you one of the many amateurs who show up at area restaurants around here. Were it my restaurant and I expected a 400+ head count that night, you would have been shown the door as your expectations are clearly warped. Next time pack a sandwich. They are workers, not wizards.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #40
ApS

Lightbulb Leave Earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
"...They are workers, not wizards..."
A bit brusque, but nicely worded. It reminds me of an annoying sign put up by a secretary in my office:

Quote:
"Your lack of planning is not my emergency."
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #41
This'nThat

The Lobster Pound is the one and only restaraunt I avoid in the Lakes Region. I've been coming to the Lake for more than 20 years. In the beginning, we always managed to bring the whole family to the LP for a very enjoyable dinner. Beginning a few years back, the food quality took a dive for the worst. Initially, we thought it might be a bad day -- but the same poor quality was present the following two times we went there -- and now I avoid it altogether. Too much money for poor food.

So, I thank people like Skisox for their reports. Because I believe him. When the reports start to turn positive, I might take my $100 and give it another spin. But not till then.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Bigstan (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #42
VtSteve

My last meal there was at the bar for lunch, during a driving rainstorm. I had some of the best ribs I've had in a long time. I really love ribs, and I was surprised to see how good they were at a lobster restaurant. I ate the entire rack, then proceeded to head home.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #43
Skip

Wink Another variant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
A bit brusque, but nicely worded. It reminds me of an annoying sign put up by a secretary in my office:
Small world!

I have a sign in my office that reads:

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!".

Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #44
Rose

Default And yet another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Small world!

I have a sign in my office that reads:

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!".

That's exactly the one I use....except there's another word that begins with P in front of "poor."
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #45
This'nThat

Quote:

I haven't read anything from anyone yet that leads me to believe there is a conspiracy against the LP. Just the opposite. People want to go to the LP -- but when they do, and drop big money there -- they expect something in return.
Like good, reasonable service.
...And quality food.
It's when these expectations aren't met, that very frank and detailed comments are presented. And I think this forum is a good place to point this out.

So I ask these simple questions:
  1. Why can't the food be good?
  2. Why must the service be poor? After all, if a restaraunt can't handle 400 people, why do they insist on seating 400 people? In the old days, the LP actually closed off part of their restaraunt if they didn't have the staff on hand. Yeah, you might have had to wait to get seated; or maybe go to another place. But once seated -- you got great service, and really good food.
Why can't it be like that again? I'd be willing to bet the complaints disappear entirely under those conditions.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #46
sa meredith

Default curious

I never really gave this any thought, but an earlier post sparked my curiousity...
But first, let me state that they obviously must be doing things somewhat correctly over there, as the place is always packed and I, too, enjoy it there.
However... Why is that LP seems to get 1 or 2 really, really bad reviews each year..really bad. Stuff that makes people stir a bit...and then Mike Ray signs in, and posts that what actually took place IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what was written in the negative post...and then the original poster never returns to defend himself/herself...and the thread goes on and on and on for weeks, sometimes. Very strange. And let me be clear...I'm not insinuating the negative posters just let it fade away...I wonder if something else is at work here...
File under: "No such thing as bad publicity"????????
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Winnipesaukee Divers (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #47
phoenix

have to agree with Meredith. I have never been to LP as plenty of good places futher north but as Yogi said" it is so crowded no one goes there any more". If the place is filled all the time they must be doing something right
Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #48
MikeF-NH

Kudos for Mike replying but someone has clearly departed from the truth. It's not unlike a customer to exagerate (sp?) when being clearly upset with service BUT it's also not unlike a wait-person in a VERY busy environment to bypass "policy" in order to collect better tips (in this case, it's very possible that this good waitperson saw full plates but didn't have time to track down a manager and go through all the problems associated with a strong complaints when it was just easier to dump the uneaten food and say "it was all eaten"...especially given the low % chance that the customer would escalate).

Mike is the in tough position of either:
a.) going with "the customer is always right" and throwing the proven waitress under the bus OR
b.) standing behind the waitress and just soothing the customer without blaming the waitress when the customer will most likely never return anyways.

...can't blame him for choosing "b" to keep a proven waitress but I would warn him to keep an eye on those returning plates because most likely, most wait staff will not abide by quality control rules when things are that busy (been there/done that). The best way to do this is to have the dish washers responsible for reporting "full plates" and warn waitresses that if they are caught dumping ANY food before it gets to the dishwasher, it's immediate termination.

Tough place to be in Mike. I wish you and your establishment luck. It's a diffucult business to succeed in and the fact that you are this busy means you are doing something right.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #49
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
I never really gave this any thought, but an earlier post sparked my curiousity...
It sounds like you're implying he has sock puppet accounts. Go back and look at the posting history of the OP in this thread. I think it would take far more effort than it is worth for Mike (or anyone associated with the Lobster Pound) to create a sock puppet account to that extent, just to then use it to start a bashing thread.

It does seem like the LP has a fair bit of controversy surrounding them, but I think the threads are all legitimate.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #50
sa meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
It sounds like you're implying he has sock puppet accounts. Go back and look at the posting history of the OP in this thread. I think it would take far more effort than it is worth for Mike (or anyone associated with the Lobster Pound) to create a sock puppet account to that extent, just to then use it to start a bashing thread.

It does seem like the LP has a fair bit of controversy surrounding them, but I think the threads are all legitimate.
Yeah...I agree. It's just that how can the OP say one thing, and Mike say the exact opposite, and the OP not make one peep. I mean, they either ate the shrimp, or they didn't...no grey area.
He either ate his grouper, or he didn't. The plate was half full in one post, and licked clean in the next. Just seems strange...that's all.
Put me in the corner of saying I enjoy LP, and like their food. However, I find it a bit pricey, and think that they become overwhelmed at peak times, and service drops off a bit more than it should. But, who am I to say??? That parking lot always seems packed to me.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #51
jetskier

Post You know...

I have been watching this thread and it is no wonder that this person has not spoken up again. Any one who brings up a critique is promptly shouted down. Whether his experience was indicative or reasonable does not matter, it was his experience. If I were the owner of the LP, I would send him a private email and offer him a dinner on the house. That would be a gesture of good faith. Shouting down people who have put down their money in good faith and have a reasonable complaint is not particularly productive for the patron or the establishment.

It is nice that the LP is busy, good for them. Personally, I was unhappy with my last meal and as they say, " you are only as good as your last meal." My decision is to take my business elsewhere. You may love the LP, good for you. Luckily there are still lots of choices here in the lake region and my favorite might not be yours, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Jetskier
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #52
PennyPenny

The fact that they were there on a busy night and thought they were entitled to be given attentive service is what gets me. What makes them so special compared to the next table? I work in the restaurant business also and a customer who thinks they are more important then the next is irritating to everyone. Actually, those are the people we want in and out and gone.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #53
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
Just a little interesting fact. I looked back and skisox24 had a post back in September 2008 which was not very complimentary of the Lobster Pound. They also went to Meadowbrook that night. Sounds a little suspect to me, since they seem to say nothing but good things about another seafood place which can stand on it's own without any help from negative posters.

I respect an owner who is willing to check the facts and stand up for his business even if his post may not have been popular. Why some have to try to ruin the reputation of a business and slant the facts is way beyond me.

I have not been to the Lobster Pound as it is a little bit of a drive (but I plan to now) and do not know the owners, just been sitting back the past few years reading and wonder why some take great pleasure in posting negative comments about the Lobster Pound since day one.
Folks......this ! This tells me that the OP has an agenda. I could be wrong, but I find it very telling that the OP went through the same situation twice at the LP. Seems like the same story told twice.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #54
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
Yup, my thoughts exactly, "Let’s stir up a little controversy, it's good for business..." It seems a little odd that Mr. Mike knew all the particulars of just what the poster had the exact times and had the right response after he admitted he had over four hundred customs that night. Now he’s got the sympathy vote of the forum after this terrible injustice. That’s got to be helping business.

I don't know Mike Ray or the Lobster Pound or the poster. I've never been to LP and will never go there, not because of this farce, but more to the point that I can't eat seafood. All the more for you.

I find any thread linked to the Lobster Pound will always be interesting reading and have to check in often for the latest installment. However, as a businessman I know the value of keeping your name out in front of the public's eye and find this just a little too odd.

I'm just saying... not accusing
This is what keeps happening. People who complain are soon seen as dishonest with an agenda of some kind?

I hope you realize that there is nothing about this thread that is going to help the LP in the long run. The sooner this ends the better. If I were Mike Rae, I would not say another word. Serve the 400 meals and do your best. If someone complains, try to remember that old rule that in business, "The Customer is Always Right!" If someone has a bad meal, replace it immediately. If it gets to be too often then I guess you would want to evaluate what you are doing. However, it seems that you do a good business and have a lot of people who like to eat there.

I have already said in an earlier post that the fellow who wrote here in the beginning should have a meal on the house and an apology. I believe that is what restaurant managers do when a customer is, or was, not satisfied. One can always refuse service if someone takes advantage of "The Customer is Always Right" rule by doing something like this more than once or twice.

I would suggest that the rest of us let this get resolved and go on with our lives. There is really nothing that any of us can do. Surely there must be more interesting threads than this one.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #55
trfour

Thumbs up Some Seem To Love The Lolly Pops...

I will say again, LP is and will always be a favorite for myFamily for as long as they are in business here in the Lakes Region!

OH and yes, we have [ Some very negatory ??????????'s out here ]... Take the Plunge and find out for yourself!
However, DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU ARE IN A RUSH, on a Friday Night At Seven OOclock, when you have tickets, or you want to be elsewhere!

Love,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #56
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
The fact that they were there on a busy night and thought they were entitled to be given attentive service is what gets me. What makes them so special compared to the next table? I work in the restaurant business also and a customer who thinks they are more important then the next is irritating to everyone. Actually, those are the people we want in and out and gone.
Why do you assume that they thought they were entitled to anything, or that they thought they were more important than other customers? They went in with a specific "request". If the LP staff said that they could accomodate that request, then that is why the customer expected such.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #57
sa meredith

Default It can't just be me

Am I the only one that is looking at this from a different angle? I understand the customer maybe should be offered a free meal and etc etc etc...
But, the OP wrote a few things, and then Mike Ray wrote that, "no", these things did not happen.
This is what seems unique about LP threads, in my opinion.
Often, someone will write of a negative experience, but Mike will write back that none of it actually happened. I just don't see any of that in the other restaurant threads.
How can that be??? Were the people delusional when they dined there?
I believe all this controversy is enjoyed, and indeed, good for business.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #58
brk-lnt

Quote:
Am I the only one that is looking at this from a different angle? I understand the customer maybe should be offered a free meal and etc etc etc...
But, the OP wrote a few things, and then Mike Ray wrote that, "no", these things did not happen.
I've often found that people tend to over-exaggerate bad experiences. In these cases, the truth is probably someplace in the middle, but I would guess that the OP is exaggerating their side of the story a bit to try to make a point.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #59
Shreddy

Sounds like an interesting controversy. What I've taken out of this is that the customer went to LP with the intention of receiving attentive service and a good meal. I'm sure he asked if they would be able to get in, get dinner, and get on and still make it to the concert. Whoever he asked for this "special service" must have told him they could accommodate him, so he stayed and that's when he didn't receive what was requested.

It's not a matter of him thinking he's better than every other customer and should receive special attention, as other posters have mentioned.

After this entire thread, I'm on board with SA Meredith. Something seems fishy. As a business owner, I would not publicly state that a customer was wrong. Just doesn't represent good business practice and customer service to me. I don't care how reputable the establishment is. Sounds very defensive.

The point is, providing the facts are correct from the original poster, if you are busy enough to serve 400 tables a night, then you can afford to sacrifice a meal or two. I can almost guarantee not every meal will be perfect. In this case it was simply poor service to the customer. Sounds like he went in there with intentions that he would be able to get dinner and was assured he would make it in time to the concert. I'll assume he would have left and gone some place else (as I would have in his situation) if they told them they couldn't accommodate his request. He didn't receive attentive service and didn't get a good meal. I think it's reasonable he didn't bring up his dilemma at the time as he was in a rush.

Should he have posted his harsh story here...maybe? Could he have tried to contact them after the fact when he had time? Yes. However, I believe the LP should know better than to publicly put down a customer. Clearly the customer was real, or Mike intentionally created this customer as both sides have conflicting stories.

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be in to try out the Lobster Pound after this until something is cleared up.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #60
VtSteve

Absolutely Shreddy. Internet controversies always dictate my dining habits

Seriously, There are a couple of places I could have given a quick review about, ho-hum, not nasty, that would have offended a large audience. Not too much with the LP.

Whatever, it's a gathering place and a restaurant. Whereas, this is an internet forum, where I can't taste anything
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #61
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Stay home

If you don't like the service. Stay Home!

I use to go out almost nightly. After losing my job and unemployment ran out, I took a retail position that pays less than my unemployment! Having said that, it makes sense to eat home. Sorry, hospitality industry, but if consumers don't have the dough, so goes the business.

I actually enjoy eating at home. Fresh garden veggies and fruits. Thousands of new recipes to try on the internet. It is becoming a hobby. When I have guests, I enjoy serving food.

I do go out on ocassion. I use coupons.com and or restuarants.com to determine where I will go. I use T-Bones 55+ card whenever I go there. T-Bones 55+ menu makes sense as most of us don't care for large portions.

For a real treat Thursday's 'Burger and Beer' night at the NASWA or Avery's can't be beat for value for the beef and beer crowd.
Lakesrider (08-13-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #62
jrc

I very much doubt this is a setup by Mike Ray. He can't be happy that everytime he opens the forum there is a new post in a thread called "Lobster Pound Disaster". Yes, I know there is no such thing as bad publicity but too much bad publicity is not good.

I bet now he is think he should have said, "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit, come back in and we will make it right" It is never a good idea to argue publicly with a customer. If a customer made a stink in the restaurant you would not sit there and argue with them, you would quietly handle it. If the customer got out of hand you ask them to leave then walk them out.

Penny doesn't every customer deserve attentive service? I expect it when I go out, even when I go to Burger King.

Sometimes when we go to a restaurant, I want to take my time, have few drinks, and some appetizers, talk with my friends. Sometimes I just want to get a meal and get out. A good server will sense which, but it never hurts to tell them directly.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #63
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
I will say again, LP is and will always be a favorite for myFamily for as long as they are in business here in the Lakes Region!

OH and yes, we have [ Some very negatory ??????????'s out here ]... Take the Plunge and find out for yourself!
However, DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU ARE IN A RUSH, on a Friday Night At Seven OOclock, when you have tickets, or you want to be elsewhere!
(This is where Terry ended. Don't know if I typed my message too early.)

Oh Terry,
Do you remember when they had the small stones for the floor I think and picnic benches?
My family used to love the LP. We would go and get the combination plate that came with a lobster AND ribs with corn on the cob and baked beans and maybe small side of cole slaw. My mouth is watering even as I type.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #64
NoBozo

Attention: Now hear ziss: Za beatings vill continue until za Morale Improves. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
VtSteve (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #65
gtagrip

Quote:
This is what seems unique about LP threads, in my opinion.
Often, someone will write of a negative experience, but Mike will write back that none of it actually happened. I just don't see any of that in the other restaurant threads.
How can that be??? Were the people delusional when they dined there?
I believe all this controversy is enjoyed, and indeed, good for business.
SA, I'm with you on this one. SKISOX24 did the samething back in 2008 and then was never heard from again on the subject. At least defend your position once challenged by the owner especially since SKISOX24 started the thread. Now it's only a he said she said situation. Seems fishy to me. No pun intended.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #66
NoBozo

Quote:
SA, I'm with you on this one. SKISOX24 did the samething back in 2008 and then was never heard from again on the subject. At least defend your position once challenged by the owner especially since SKISOX24 started the thread. Now it's only a he said she said situation. Seems fishy to me. No pun intended.
Actually GG, I think you may have misinterpreted what SA said. Your view seems to be Opposite, and you are actually siding with the LP owner. ..or maybe it's me misinterpreting. .. NB
Old 08-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #67
gtagrip

Quote:
But first, let me state that they obviously must be doing things somewhat correctly over there, as the place is always packed and I, too, enjoy it there.
However... Why is that LP seems to get 1 or 2 really, really bad reviews each year..really bad. Stuff that makes people stir a bit...and then Mike Ray signs in, and posts that what actually took place IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what was written in the negative post...and then the original poster never returns to defend himself/herself...and the thread goes on and on and on for weeks, sometimes. Very strange. And let me be clear...I'm not insinuating the negative posters just let it fade away...I wonder if something else is at work here...
File under: "No such thing as bad publicity"????????
NoBozo, I guess this is the post I should have responded to with my comments. I hope this clarifys my position.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #68
This'nThat

[QUOTE=Lucky1;136123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Do you remember when they had the small stones for the floor I think and picnic benches?
My family used to love the LP. We would go and get the combination plate that came with a lobster AND ribs with corn on the cob and baked beans and maybe small side of cole slaw. My mouth is watering even as I type.
And the tables all slanted downwards. And you didn't want to get caught in there when it was raining and blowing.

That's the LP I remember. Good food. Good times. Good service.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #69
NoBozo

Quote:
NoBozo, I guess this is the post I should have responded to with my comments. I hope this clarifys my position.
NOPE: You said what you said.........OR.... maybe you didn't say it. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 08-10-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #70
anne154

Like SA Meredith I dropped by the Lobster Pound this summer around 4pm, went to the bar to eat. There were 4 people present, and very few in the dining room.

I waited about an hour before inquiring if my dinner was going to be served. The waitress/bartender checked, then said it would be 15 more minutes! 15 minutes later, I had to ask again. My food was brought out, tepid.

My experience is in line with others who had to wait far too long to be served, and who had little attention from the wait-staff.
anne154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #71
Irrigation Guy

I don't get it. The original poster does this twice about the same place and just disappears when others ask follow up questions.

Check his history and then decide.

Here is an interesting post from 9-21-08 for those who don't want to look back.

Quote:
We went into the Lobster Pound last weekend with the goal of a quick meal prior to our Meadowbrook show. This was our third time at the new Lobster Pound. We applaud the new owneres for the terrific renovation of the old facility, and have appreciated the superb view from the upstairs outdoor lounge.

The food has been uneven. My wife really enjoyed the scallops, but the other seafood and shellfish choices have been just OK. Having dined there twice before, we knew that the menu prices were excessive, but also understood that we are OK with marginally higher prices in exchange for the new atmosphere and the superlative view.

But not this time. They have one pound of steamers on the menu for $15. That is way overpriced to begin with, and on my two prior experiences, I question whether the quantity served truly equals one pound. Town Docks in Meredith and Kevin's Cafe in Moultonborough provide generous portions of steamers at a much lower cost. For example, Kevin's Cafe provides a pound and a-half at $10. Town Docks, two pounds for $14. Well, on this particular night, Lobster Pound had a little notice stapled to their menu that declared that due to the recent increase in steamer prices, that the cost listed in their menu for one pound ($15) would have to be surcharged $3!!! $18 for less than one pound of steamers? A total ripoff. The manager informed us that their supplyer had significantly increased their per-bushel steamer cost. Town Docks and Kevin's later informed me that their sourcing costs have not materially changed. So....BEWARE!!!!
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #72
Argie's Wife

Quote:

I've added emphasis (bold/red font) to the initial post of this thread... "endured", "pain and suffering"... Oh, please. No one had tied you to your chair, right? If it was that bad, I'd have called over a manager or something....

But this poster (1) chose to go to a sit-down, full-service restaurant when he/she had a time contraint during the busiest time of the season, (if the poster had noticed that the drinks were slow, why the heck didn't you bug out then and head to Sawyers or something?) (2) placed an unreal expectation on the server (I feel more sorry for her than I do the poster, quite honestly); (3) accepted/ate/tried whatever - the food that was served but found it "inferrior"; and (4) paid a bill of $133 without a word.

So, then you came here to get payback? C'mon. Gimme a break.

Whether the initial poster is tag-teaming us here or not, I don't care, really... I've read a lot of reviews here on winni.com in my time here but this one pretty much wins the...

drum roll please

Drama Llama award...

Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #73
Heaven

Competitor maybe?
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #74
Lucky1

You know now that I think about this I do wonder why Mike kept saying that they serve 400 meals per evening and can seat 350 or something like that. The one time that we were there earlier this summer, was a late Sunday afternoon. There were almost no people there. In fact the room we asked to sit in was empty but we were able to be seated there. During the meal I think maybe two or three tables filled.

As I said, the double lobster meal was good but expensive for what we got. I particularly thought that lobsters and one salad was not enough. I asked why there was no side such as a potato or corn or something and was told that there were rolls. All of this said, this thread is not a good thing for the Lobster Pound.

I hope all of this works out and that the LP finds a way to do well. It is rough out there in this economy.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #75
mike ray

Default Farewell

The Weirs Beach Lobster Pound will no longer be participating in this forum.
If you wish to contact us, please do so by phone (603)366-2255, our website (wb-lp.com) or the way we would prefer most, come in and say hello. Please keep supporting local businesses, and thank you to those who have supported us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike ray For This Useful Post:
phoenix (08-13-2010), VitaBene (08-13-2010), VtSteve (08-13-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #76
Mr. V

Quote:

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

--- Harry S. Truman
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #77
VitaBene

I can't say I blame you, Mike. Best of luck and we will see you a few more times this summer.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #78
riverat

I remember the time when it was a good thing to walk in to a restaurant(ei: Waldo Peppers) and mention you were a Forum member.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #79
Loonatic

OK, it took me a little while to become an active member on the forum, but now that I can post and not just read, I want to finally say what happened to us that same night in question. We came with out of town friends to the LP about 8:30 and also sat up on the deck. When we tried to order, we were immediately shot down on just about everything that we tried to have. No more steamers, no chowder, and no more specials of the night, etc. Waitress couldn't answer any of our questions such as what the vegetable was without going to ask someone. We had to redo our whole order since we all had wanted most of those items not available. Service went drastically down hill from there. Drinks were very slow to come to the table and then a while after, our friends received their meals. Ours came a bit later and mine was cold, but my husbands scrod was actually raw. Not cooked at all. Waitress apologized and took meals back. FORTY minutes later, still no return. Waitress said that manager was coming and would bring meals himself. I was so upset, as this also happened to be our anniversary and I had wanted a nice night out, that I went to the car, and did not return. The food finally came out 45 min late via the manager and he was surprised that we didn't want to eat it now. He offered my husband a bottle of wine to apologize. I am sorry, but almost an hour after I had to watch my friends eat their meals, we were not going to sit and have them watch us eat. My husband demanded that they take back our plates, and that the whole bill be nullified. We did pay for the drinks that we had, but the night was ruined. It was a horrible experience, and my husband and I ended up having to stop at Wendy's on the way home to eat.
Loonatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #80
VtSteve

All the best Mike. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #81
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Took me a while to read all these replys. After working in the restauraunt industry for over 25 years you learn that if you have so many tables in your place tha you can't serve dinners in under an hour you have toooooooooo many tables. Tooooooooooo many tables are bound to get you a few complaints over wait times. I will not sit and wait for food for over an hour. If you remember my canoe post about the same issue that will verify my disdain for having to spend a good deal of money to wait. Broadhopper brings a very good point to the table. People just don't have the money anymore. I think some restaurant owners forget that fact. They just see the money coming in and not where it is actually coming from. Not everyone eating up here are Summer people with the cash to spend on vacation. Some of us work up here and don't make the big bucks. So when I go out to eat it is usually a special occasion. Like when I was at the Canoe for a Birthday. Mine. So when I go out to eat, I'd like to spend my money eating, not waiting. I have to say that if that waitress had disappeared on me for over half an hour without checking on us there is no way I would have given one red dime for a tip. I am also one of the seemingly few that had a not so good experience at the Lobster Pound. Our wait was extremely long, and it certainly was not busy. Technically no one really cares how many plates were served. They only care about their plate. I know I do. If you can't keep up with your dinners...you have toooooooo many chairs. Concentrate on the ones you can serve and you will have way better reviews, and eventually make better money.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #82
Shreddy

Lakesrider is spot on. Kind of a cowardly move by the LP saying goodbye to the forum. I don't think Mike realizes, and clearly it's showing, how beneficial (or hurtful) this forum can be to area businesses. He's tarnishing his own reputation when all he had to do was clarify the situation, admit the LP was bad/wrong, settle up with the complaining customer, and move on and show you can fix mistakes. I said it before, if you can brag about serving 400 meals a night, I'm positive you can sacrifice a meal or two to make a situation right.

Great point by Lakesrider as well...I don't care that you served 400 meals a night, you better get mine right because that's the only one I care about. However, you will not have this opportunity in the future as I can't justify heading to the LP now based on the reviews and how this situation was handled.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #83
ironhorsetim

Question Hit and Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Kind of a cowardly move
Kind of harsh in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions
What I want to know is why Mr.sox hasn't been back on...Ya think he's been checking on this thread or what.
I've been to the LP many times since they opened and have never had a bad night...must be one of the lucky one's

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #84
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
Kind of harsh in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions
What I want to know is why Mr.sox hasn't been back on...Ya think he's been checking on this thread or what.
I've been to the LP many times since they opened and have never had a bad night...must be one of the lucky one's
I couldn't think of another word, and I felt that it fit. Mike was extremely defensive and now won't clear up the dilemma. I'll agree, I'm curious about Mr. Sox, but there has been enough bad reviews coupled with how Mike has handled the situation to make me stray away from the LP for a while.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #85
Bigstan

Default Right move.

It is absolutely 100% the right move for Mike to bow out on this. He was smart enough to see that defending your every action ends up being a lose-lose situation in the long run.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (08-15-2010), Heaven (08-13-2010), ironhorsetim (08-13-2010), Lucky1 (08-18-2010), VtSteve (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #86
Newbiesaukee

I absolutely agree that it was prudent for Mike Ray to stop defending his every move. However, he could have accomplished this simply by not defending every negative comment about the LP. It was not necessary to "resign" from the Forum which seems conterproductive to me.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #87
jetskier

Thumbs down Poor form!

This comes across as "I am going to take my ball and go home." It is one thing to not participate officially on the forum and it is another to publicly declare that you are leaving. IMHO, this has all been handled poorly by LP and as has been previously stated all that had to happen is that they indicate that they had a problem (no one is perfect), make it right with the customer, and move on. The true mettle is tested when things go wrong...Mike, you are not here to read this, but you just failed. Good luck to LP, my money will continue to go elsewhere.

Jetskier
Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #88
Woodsy

WOW!! Its kind of amazing to me how some people are....

Let me first state... I am a local, and I personally LOVE the LP.... I go there all the time! I am sure I will be there tonight at some point. The staff has been nothing but GREAT and the food EXCELLENT! These guys step up for charities (Brenda's Ride this weekend) and all in all try to be good members of the community!

SkiSox had a bad meal... it happens! No doubt with the time constraints they became a little sour when it wasnt as prompt as they would have liked. I am kinda with a few others on this... showing up and expecting a full meal at 6:55 for an 8:00 concert thats a 8-10 minute drive away plus parking time is kinda silly! If you just wanted some beers & apps I would understand. Essentially skisox had 40 minutes or so to get drinks, apps and dinner. Talk about dinner impossible!

The reality is you CANNOT please 100% of your customers... its statistically impossible. The LP must be doing something right because there are cars in the lot all the time! I have watched the place grow... I live up the street!

Instead of trying to tear down a place of business, why not just be constructive? These guys (and all of the other local folks) are in business to make a few $$$.... its def not in thier best intrests if you leave unhappy. You have bad meal, bring it up to them, they cant fix it or make it right if they dont know its broken....

Woodsy
hazelnut (08-13-2010), SteveO123 (08-15-2010), VtSteve (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #89
Resident 2B

Default Do Not Go Away

I hope that Mike Ray does not go away from posting on this forum. Mike runs a very good restaurant, The Lobster Pound. I enjoy this place for dinner and for drinks, or for both.

Mike, you have built a solid business and as a result, some will take a poke or two at you and the restaurant. Listen a bit, but do not stop what you are doing. Some of the comments may help you in your efforts towards continuous improvement, while other comments are pure crap. I know you can tell the two apart.

Keep up the good work and thank you for taking The Lobster Pound to where it is today.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #90
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

I must say, I have seen a lot more damage done in a few of these restaurant threads than I have seen in the entire boating forum! Unfortunately the damage done here can really hurt a local business whereas the boating forum banter is simply bickering...

Go figure..

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #91
Irish mist

You can't prove it, but from what I have read over the years it looks like the LP was targeted by some individuals for whatever reason......I'll leave that for you to figure out why. It does not help that Mike has thin-skin IMO, but the guy has sunk millions of dollars down the Weirs. It's a no win situation for him.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #92
NoBozo

LP Posts: I didn't bring this up in my earlier post where Mike addressed MY posts directly. I didn't think the LP needed to RE-Live the 2008 thread again so I didn't bring it up. The OP in this thread had only TWO posts out of 143 in that old thread. Yet he is attacked incessantly in THIS thread.

THIS thread is up to 91 posts. There seems to be some supporters here who are LOCAL... I think: So they support their own. That's understandable.

Maybe the unhappy customers posting here are those loathsome FLAT Landers who bring money.....and expect something for it. Just wondering.

Where there's smoke there's fire......NO...??
Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #93
skisox24

Default My Reply

I am sorry for not having responded to the many posts since mine of July 31. I have not logged onto Winnepesaukee.com since August 1st.

NonVotingTaxpayer noted that I had a previous post criticizing the Lobster Pound. That is probably true and, if my memory serves me correctly, I complained about the outrageous cost of one pound of steamers compared with the same quantity of steamers at two other lakes region restaurants in the area at that time. I also appreciate his acknowledgment of my positive post for another seafood restaurant in the area. I do not enjoy slamming a restaurant in public and would much prefer promoting a good experience. And, I have had several complimentary posts on Winnepesaukee.com. But my party's experience that night of July 30 was exactly as I had described.

With respect to Mike Ray's August 3rd reply to my post, I did not see his statement until tonight. As for Mike Ray's assertions, I am shocked at the misrepresentations that he presents. The very first thing that I stated to our waitress when seated was that we had time constraints because of our Meadowbrook tickets. I will grant the possibility that she was so busy that evening that she may have forgotten that we told her of our schedule. I will not, however, allow Mike Ray or the waitress to escape a total lie. I ate one peel-and-eat shrimp and my son had two. I don't recall how many shrimp are contained in a one pound serving, but will guess at somewhere between eight and fourteen. We conumed no more than three and the rest were left untouched. For the waitress to report that all were eaten tells me a great deal either about her credibility or Mike Ray's inability to accept accountability.

Mike Ray is correct in that we chose not to complain to the waitress about the shrimp, nor did we complain about my fish entree, or my son's ahi tuna. We chose to make our statement with a 10% gratuity (and we always leave 20% of the gross amount of a restaurant tab). And, I will acknowledge that following the inedible shrimp which was delivered unacceptably late, that our level of disappointment was transitioning into anxiety. How can a restaurant acknowledge as acceptable a practice whereby the waitress never stops by the table a short period after the delivery of food to check on the level of customer satisfaction? That is waitressing 101. Not only did she not stop by, but we had to seek her out by asking two other employees to please have her sent over to our table. This was after a lengthy period of our failed visible search for her presence anywhere near our table.

I am always willing to excuse a restaurant from good service when they are excessively busy. However, the total lack of attention to our specific request for attentive service because of our concert arrangements, and the waitress's failure to check back in with us at least once is inexcusable.

Several posters stated that our time sensitive goal at the Lobster Pound on a Friday night in mid-season was unrealistic. On that point, I will accept responsibility for a bad decision on our part. Actually our first choice was Patrick's Pub, and when we arrived in their parking lot we discovered that there was more than an hour wait. We then drove to the Lobster Pound where we were sat at a table immediately....no waiting at all. Does that support the contention that the restaurant was unusually busy and, therefore, unable to deliver routine restaurant services?

Look, my post was inspired by the fact that my experience that night represented the worst dining experience that I can ever recall in my adult life. I am sure that we were victims of a perfect storm of events that caused us to be treated with inferior attention. My goal was to share our experience with others for whatever benefit that might serve future customers of this restaurant. At the same time I will acknowledge having dined at the Lobster Pound three or four other times in recent years where service was totally fine and the food, while not exceptional, was quite acceptable. And, the Lobster Pound's outdoor seating venue is one of the best in the lakes region. It was a bad night for sure, but to me the most disturbing aspect of this entire controversy is the unfounded defense of Mike Ray with his inaccurate contentions that totally fly in the face of the truth. I am sorry that he feels that it is necessary to resort to that level of self-advocacy.

The internet and forums like Winnepesaukee.com can be an excellent medium for sharing information with members of the public. At the same time, I recognize the anonymity of internet postings and the potential for malicious abuse of the internet medium for unethical purposes. I assure everyone on the forum that our representations are totally accurate and I truly felt that my posting was warranted due to our treatment that evening. I have no intentions of hiding behind my anonymous "user name." I would be more than willing to meet with Mike Ray to discuss our experience directly with him, face to face. I am not looking for any special treatment, favors, or gifts from the Lobster Pound, and, in fact, I would refuse to accept any if offered. However, I am uncomfortable continuing this discussion with only one side of this dispute having a real identity. So, if Mike Ray would like me to stop by his business to discuss our complaint, I would be totally agreeable to doing so at a time convenient to us both.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skisox24 For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (08-15-2010), NonVoting Taxpayer (08-16-2010), Shreddy (08-16-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #94
VitaBene

Thank you for posting and your willingness to meet with the LP.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #95
partsman

Default This thread

This forum never ceases to amaze me!
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #96
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
If you wish to contact us, please do so by phone (603)366-2255, our website (wb-lp.com) or the way we would prefer most, come in and say hello. Please keep supporting local businesses, and thank you to those who have supported us.
Edit: OP, let me see if I can say this in a non-ad hominum manner: "your posts" are absolutely neurotic.

People are far too liberal with their public rants on restaurants. I've been to hundreds in my short life, and have had plenty of bad experiences, with only one worth mentioning: Carbo's in Mashpee. Even that wasn't a huge deal; it fell all on the waitress we had. The food was good...

Try working in a restaurant, folks, and see how you like it. You're not buying a bespoke suit, you're being served dinner. Accept that people make honest, harmless mistakes. Something wrong? Speak up. Go to the hostess, tell someone, or just walk out.

I usually don't eat out too much in NH (grilling is more the norm up there), but after seeing you go through this crap, I'd love to stop by and chow down some wicked pissah lobsta. I'm sure the service will be just fine. You've been there what, 30 years? I'll be the one ordering that inedible shrimp for an app, followed by that yellowfin. See ya soon.
KTO (08-16-2010), pondguy (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #97
gtagrip

Default Thank You!

SKISOX24, thanks for coming back onto this thread to backup your first post. I take back all I said previously.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #98
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
Edit: OP, let me see if I can say this in a non-ad hominum manner: "your posts" are absolutely neurotic.

People are far too liberal with their public rants on restaurants. I've been to hundreds in my short life, and have had plenty of bad experiences, with only one worth mentioning: Carbo's in Mashpee. Even that wasn't a huge deal; it fell all on the waitress we had. The food was good...

Try working in a restaurant, folks, and see how you like it. You're not buying a bespoke suit, you're being served dinner. Accept that people make honest, harmless mistakes. Something wrong? Speak up. Go to the hostess, tell someone, or just walk out.

I usually don't eat out too much in NH (grilling is more the norm up there), but after seeing you go through this crap, I'd love to stop by and chow down some wicked pissah lobsta. I'm sure the service will be just fine. You've been there what, 30 years? I'll be the one ordering that inedible shrimp for an app, followed by that yellowfin. See ya soon.
The name The Lobster Pound has been there for like 30 years (the current owners about 3), but you can bet your bottom dollar that the Loster Pound that Lou and Harvey ran is a far cry from the current owners.

There are some folks on this forum that will understand where my comments are coming from, but having a personal relationship with quite a few resturants in the Lakes Region for the last 29 years, is where my following feelings come from. Many really good people have walked away from the industry in this area for one reason or another and they will never return. That to me is a shame, the likes of Crabby Dave, Pepper and Lou and Harvey are only the tip of the ice berg with a few more on the step of that door now.

My post is to only illistrate that the owners of these newer resturants have some extremely big shoes to fill and most of what has been said in this thread by Mike Ray is appaulling and is proof that while one can have a very successful business, it is the small things that count and how this customer was treated (wrong or not) in a public forum was a very eye opening experience. The names listed above held themselves in a much higher manner and the following that they enjoyed was the reward for caring about your customer beyond what their credit card number was.

Last edited by jmen24; 08-17-2010 at 07:34 AM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #99
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
The name The Lobster Pound has been there for like 30 years (the current owners about 3), but you can bet your bottom dollar that the Loster Pound that Lou and Harvey ran is a far cry from the current owners.
Beyond personalities, long term history, and things just being Like they Used to Be. There were some horrible reviews of the LP before the new owners took over. So Jmen, perhaps not everybody shares the positive views of the past. Heck, you can usually get ten different reviews of a restaurant from five different people

I had some friends meet me one night at Harts TF. To this day they can't fathom why I almost always go there when in the area. (hint, traditions, history, etc.) I try to judge any business for what it is, not what I perceived it was.

MR's time is much better spent 7 days a week at the LP IMO. Forums like this are not good for business unless you've known everyone for decades, or have the silk tongue of an natural salesman. Mike's obviously a hard worker, and has a passion for his business. If he continues to make the LP better and better, I'll forgive his lack of BS when addressing bad reviews. I never BS when giving a review, good or bad, so perhaps I can relate to MR better than many.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #100
jmen24

Quote:
Beyond personalities, long term history, and things just being Like they Used to Be. There were some horrible reviews of the LP before the new owners took over. So Jmen, perhaps not everybody shares the positive views of the past. Heck, you can usually get ten different reviews of a restaurant from five different people

I had some friends meet me one night at Harts TF. To this day they can't fathom why I almost always go there when in the area. (hint, traditions, history, etc.) I try to judge any business for what it is, not what I perceived it was.

MR's time is much better spent 7 days a week at the LP IMO. Forums like this are not good for business unless you've known everyone for decades, or have the silk tongue of an natural salesman. Mike's obviously a hard worker, and has a passion for his business. If he continues to make the LP better and better, I'll forgive his lack of BS when addressing bad reviews. I never BS when giving a review, good or bad, so perhaps I can relate to MR better than many.
My post had nothing to do with food reviews. It was to point out the lack of character in how the current owner handles such reviews. Plain and simple. If customer service is not his strong point, perhaps he needs to hire a PR person for that.

Personally I have not eaten at the new lobster pound, so I would not and have not, had anything to say regarding the food.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote