Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Parker21

Default Meredith Area Suggestion?

The past 5-years during our 2-week vacation at the lake, my wife and I find one night for dinner without the kids; we have been to the Coe House, Canoe, Sandy Point, Mise en Place, and Castle/Clouds. Looking for a suggestion within a 20 minute or so drive from Meredith. Of the places we have been, only Mise en Place was a standout, but it's too far a drive from Meredith.

Thanks in advance
Parker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

Default East of Suez ...

... is only another 5 minutes further then Mise en Place. It is one of our favorite special places. They serve "an eclectic sampling of exotic cuisine from across Asia and the South Pacific with occasional detours around the world."
They only serve soft drinks but you can BYOB.

http://www.eastofsuez.com/
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
winnipiseogee

The Inn Kitchen at the Inn on Squam Lake in Holderness is very good and they have their menus online. Also LemonGrass in Moultonboro is one of our favorites but you have to like the thai/localvore fusion sort of stuff on their menu.

Other than that O Steakhouse in Lakeport is very good but its the upscale version of Canoe so if you weren't fond of canoe that it might not be worth the risk...

Best of luck!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

O's in Laconia and Lyons Den in Gilford would be my two choices.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Resident 2B

Lyon's Den would be my choice. When you make the reservation, ask for a window seat.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
Winnigirl

Tavern 27 - our favorite spot. Everything is perfect from the food, the atmosphere, waitstaff and owner. I'm still dreaming about my last meal there and counting down the days until my next lake visit.
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl View Post
Tavern 27 - our favorite spot. Everything is perfect from the food, the atmosphere, waitstaff and owner. I'm still dreaming about my last meal there and counting down the days until my next lake visit.
Definitely Tavern 27.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
JanN

Smile 30+ years

We have vacationed in Meredith for 40 years and have gone to The Corner House for more than 30 of those years--probably a little more than 20 minutes, but always worth the trip!! This year on our vacation we introduced a new group to our favorite place so we actually went twice and they all enjoyed it. Look for a restaurant certificate on restaurant.com and you can even save some money!
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JanN For This Useful Post:
Heaven (08-18-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
jkjoshuatree

Default I Agree With JanN

My favorite restaurant in the Lakes Region (make sure you get the stuffed mushrooms)!

Corner House is top notch!!!
Heaven (08-18-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Pontoon Goon

Default Keep it simple

Make sure you pick a nice night weather wise and go to Church Landing. After dinner walk the boardwalk over to Lago for dessert or a little night cap and then a nice slow walk back. Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a great night.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Tavern 27 in Laconia ( I believe) or Lemongrass in Moultonborough
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

What about Mame's right in Meredith? Sort of up and behind the Bootleggers store. My wife and I love Mames. In the winter we use their by one get one free entree specials. They must hate us for using them all the time, but they get a few drinks out of us too........
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
beagle

Thumbs down East of Suez

Went there w son and his girlfriend last weekend. Not only did we have to wait and hour and fifteen minutes for our dinner to arrive, the pad thai my son ordered was so cold and gloppy he could pick the whole plate of noodles up in one mass with his fork! The waiter only showed up to the table to take the order and deliver the check. We had to flag down other waiters to get our drinks refilled and to send back the cold food. We will never go back again, what a waste of $90.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Phantom

Lyon's Den .......

Great for a table of 2, quaint, cozy, beautiful view and some of the best food & service around

HIGHLY suggest a reservation (and as mention above, request a window seat)

Last edited by Phantom; 08-06-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
AC2717

O's in Laconia,
or just this past weekend, I was at Church landing in their restaurant, and also the brand new deck bar on top of the new lodge building that they just built. This place was great for drinks before heading into the original restaurant

the roof deck bar just opened last week

also Canoes has a adults only section as well(anyone over 13)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
O's
Wow,adults are getting younger every year!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wow,adults are getting younger every year!
i know well if you are in Disney the cut off age is 4 then have to go to a regular ticket
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
weim2

Thumbs up The Mug in Meredith

The Mug in Meredith on Rte 3 heading out of town towards Holderness does not get enough attention. WE have been going for years and it is always consistent. Good prices, fast, and best of all the owner is usually there watching over things to be sure you are happy. A great family stop.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Shore Driver

Quote:
O's in Laconia,
or just this past weekend, I was at Church landing in their restaurant, and also the brand new deck bar on top of the new lodge building that they just built. This place was great for drinks before heading into the original restaurant

Ah, sugar. I forgot to go over there when I was at Town Docks last week. The Docks also added a bar under the old Christmas Loft building.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
Went there w son and his girlfriend last weekend. Not only did we have to wait and hour and fifteen minutes for our dinner to arrive, the pad thai my son ordered was so cold and gloppy he could pick the whole plate of noodles up in one mass with his fork! The waiter only showed up to the table to take the order and deliver the check. We had to flag down other waiters to get our drinks refilled and to send back the cold food. We will never go back again, what a waste of $90.
You must have caught them on an off night. They have an excellent reputation. This restaurant has been successfully operated by the same family (2nd generation I believe) for something like 40-years. It is hard to stay in business anywhere for 40 years with poor service and it is impossible to do so in the restaurant business. Give them another try.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
WakeboardMom

Quote:
O's in Laconia,

We were there for drinks and lunch last Wednesday, the 8th. Food took forever to arrive and when it did it was cold. The waitress kind of shrugged and said, "Well, these kinds of things will have to be worked out," and walked away. My 21-year-old daughter who has spent several summers as a server was not impressed with that answer.

She pointed to a gentleman at the bar and said to my husband, "Speak to him. He's a manager." We asked him to come over, and when he approached my daughter said, "Hello. Are you the manager of this area?" He answered, "Well I'm the Food and Beverage manager, so I guess the answer is 'yes.' " Awesome. How personable is that? Whatever. He comped the food but neither he nor the waitress ever apologized or made any attempt to woo us back.

Please know that due to her experience, my daughter made sure all of our issues were presented in pleasant tones of voice by us and we didn't ask for the food to be comped. It's understandable that because of the location of the bar, being far from the kitchen, that there might be an issue with enough food runners at any given time. A gracious apology would have gone a long way to keeping us as customers.

I'm sure that we won't be in a hurry to go back there.

(But big LOL to "I guess..." Man up, bucko! George Soderberg where are you???? ; )
KPW (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
We were there for drinks and lunch last Wednesday, the 8th. Food took forever to arrive and when it did it was cold. The waitress kind of shrugged and said, "Well, these kinds of things will have to be worked out," and walked away. My 21-year-old daughter who has spent several summers as a server was not impressed with that answer.

She pointed to a gentleman at the bar and said to my husband, "Speak to him. He's a manager." We asked him to come over, and when he approached my daughter said, "Hello. Are you the manager of this area?" He answered, "Well I'm the Food and Beverage manager, so I guess the answer is 'yes.' " Awesome. How personable is that? Whatever. He comped the food but neither he nor the waitress ever apologized or made any attempt to woo us back.

Please know that due to her experience, my daughter made sure all of our issues were presented in pleasant tones of voice by us and we didn't ask for the food to be comped. It's understandable that because of the location of the bar, being far from the kitchen, that there might be an issue with enough food runners at any given time. A gracious apology would have gone a long way to keeping us as customers.

I'm sure that we won't be in a hurry to go back there.

(But big LOL to "I guess..." Man up, bucko! George Soderberg where are you???? ; )
I'm a bit confused. Which restaurant are you referring to, O's Steak and Seafood or Church Landing?

In response to the OP, our favorite restaurant in the entire lakes region is Mise En Place. IMO, it's in a class of it's own. It truly is fine dining. We enjoy many of the restaurants mentioned by others posted in this thread that are in the vicinity of Meredith; Tavern 27, Church Landing, Lavinia's and Lyon's Den. Our favorite one that comes closest to Mise En Place in food quality is O. Another restaurant that we greatly enjoy is Ellacoya Barn and Grille. It has an extensive and eclectic menu and every meal we've ever had there has been delicious. In my husband's opinion, they have the best burgers on the entire lake.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I'm a bit confused. Which restaurant are you referring to, O's Steak and Seafood or Church Landing?
See post I quoted...the new deck bar at Church Landing...
Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
no-engine

Default Avoid in Meredith

Venti. frozen franchise foods.
Pizza across street is not much better.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Mr. V

Lyon's Den might be a bit more than 20 minutes away, depending on traffic, but it is very good.

Tavern 27 is pretty close to Meredith, and it is a classy, quality experience, but it IS DIFFERENT: not the usual at all.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ...
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
Parker21

Well we just got back from our 2 weeks at the lake; we ended up at O's and had a great meal, with equally great service from our waitress, Linda. While somewhat pricy for the region, it was "cheap" for the quality of the food and setting. I would put it on par with any quality steak/seafood restaurant in a major metro area.
Parker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #27
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default I Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker21 View Post
Well we just got back from our 2 weeks at the lake; we ended up at O's and had a great meal, with equally great service from our waitress, Linda. While somewhat pricy for the region, it was "cheap" for the quality of the food and setting. I would put it on par with any quality steak/seafood restaurant in a major metro area.
Glad you enjoyed O's! We have been a few times and every time service and food has been great!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
What about Mame's right in Meredith? Sort of up and behind the Bootleggers store. My wife and I love Mames. In the winter we use their by one get one free entree specials. They must hate us for using them all the time, but they get a few drinks out of us too........
It is a mystery that Maime's is not mentioned more often as one of the best restaurants in the Lakes Region. It is overlooked even though the prices are very reasonable, the menu selection superb, the service great, wonderful food (especially the nightmare) and the ambiance great. John Cook runs an outstanding reestaurant which I think is open 7 days a week.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
no-engine

Default Mame's

YES, John and staff are great. Been familiar with the facility for 30+ years!
This thread title is Meredith Area. So, can't get any more Meredith area!
Nothing else is the longevity!

They also do a great job at catering!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #30
MooseRiverMan

Default Mames

Couldn't agree more. Mames great, either the tavern upstairs of main rooms. Nightmare is the best, always enough to take home for lunch the next day
MooseRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #31
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Maime's

I had a group over for brunch a few years back. Someone in the group wanted real maple syrup and they only had the fake one. You should have seen the look on the waitress face when the party went next door to George's for pure NH maple syrup!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #32
AkwaMarina

Default Akwa Gazebo Bar

I think this is relevant and very few know it is there yet... Our hidden gem will be open soon. We will have good healthy food and great drinks. We hope a few of you will stop by and say hello. You can check out the progression of the gazebo and the 1904 Anona Bar here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=ff7c005c39

[IMG][/IMG]
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #33
Irish Choppers

Thumbs up Thumbs up to Akwa Marina

I've had the good fortune to know the Mailloux family for last several years. Their Marina and Boat Club are absolutely first class. Once we got our place in Meredith and purchased our boat it made sense for us to go over to the Meredith Yacht Club but it was a difficult decision. So many of our friends are at that beautiful marina. This new Gazebo restaurant their putting together is really cool and has unsurpassed views of the lake. I can't wait to see the finished product and try the food. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't try out this new place.
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
AkwaMarina (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
BroadHopper

Default Good to know..............

that the AKWA beach bar is open to the public. Will there be public access by boat?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
that the AKWA beach bar is open to the public. Will there be public access by boat?
The best way to get there is by boat! We have ample public docking.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
BroadHopper

Default Awesome!

What's for entertainment? Paul Warnick's 'Phil 'n The Blanks'?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #37
WeirsGurl

I love the Woodshed Restaurant in Moultonboro.
WeirsGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #38
AkwaMarina

Smile

Quote:
What's for entertainment? Paul Warnick's 'Phil 'n The Blanks'?
It would be great to get Paul Warnick's or the Eric Grant Band on occasion, I might be biased but I really like this tune http://youtu.be/r44--lQ-xgg
The Following User Says Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-25-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
BroadHopper

Default Cool video.

I actually prefer 'Mama Kicks' or the 'Tom Dixon' band, both have huge followings and you may have to call in crowd control. At least you will put the gazebo on the map!

I believe Lisa Guyer of 'Mama Kicks' is the female singer on Sully Erna's new band 'Avalon'.

Tom Dixon may be moving to Nashville.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #40
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
I actually prefer 'Mama Kicks' or the 'Tom Dixon' band, both have huge followings and you may have to call in crowd control. At least you will put the gazebo on the map!

I believe Lisa Guyer of 'Mama Kicks' is the female singer on Sully Erna's new band 'Avalon'.

Tom Dixon may be moving to Nashville.
Michael Vincent and Doubleshot is a young band playing down south in the winter and play all summer long up here. They are really good.Check out there facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/michaelvinc...ref=ts&fref=ts
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I actually prefer 'Mama Kicks'
Loved Mama Kicks. Avalon is the actually the first album released by Sully as a solo act. Lisa sang vocals on that album.