Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
rowinghelmet

Default Would you rent your boat to or from a stranger?

There's a new website like VRBO or AirBNB but for boat rentals called boatbound.co

I'm going to give it a try, but was wondering what other's thought about this idea.

It would be awesome to see some more Winnipesaukee boats on there.
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Rich

Maybe... if I had an old boat and didn't care about additional wear and tear, dings and dents, spilled food and drinks, etc.

How would you feel about wine stained cushions and fabric?

I had a friend that used to do something similar like this out of Boston with a sail boat. His idea was that he would cut/share his boating costs.

But after a year (or was it two?) he stopped doing it. His boat was getting beat up. He also had someone that thought it was cheaper to rent his boat every weekend and use it as a waterfront condo in Boston. So my friend lost his weekend use of his boat (but of course, he made the income).

Then there was the time when someone hit a rock and his boat was out of commission for 3/4 of the season while the repairs were made.

So perhaps, if you had the right boat and new stains, dents and dings wouldn't bother you.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
jrc

Renting from a stranger seems less risky, at least financially. But you don't know if the boat is seaworthy, maybe a small boat on a small lake would be an acceptable risk. I would stick to reputable rental companies.

Renting a boat to a stranger seems very risky. What if they crash the boat and drown? What if someone on the boat is injured or killed? What if they hurt someone else with the boat? No way I want that responsibility.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
dave603

Anyone I would be renting from would probably be a stranger, so renting yes.

As for renting it out, No Thank You.
I'm too picky about it as it is.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Absolutely not unless you are a commercial operation with millions of dollars of liability insurance. Looked into this possibility many years ago and one conversation with insurance agent was enough to kill the idea.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Absolutely not is right! Not only the wear and tear on the boat, but the liability. I know of at least one cottage rental agency that tells you do NOT supply a boat to your renters because of the liability.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Absolutely not unless you are a commercial operation with millions of dollars of liability insurance. Looked into this possibility many years ago and one conversation with insurance agent was enough to kill the idea.
+1 Not in the world we live in!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Chaselady

If you saw the way the people on this lake drive, especially the ones in rentals, you would not consider renting. Many have no idea what those black and white or red and white poles are for that are sticking out of the water.
And are you ready to check for the driving license required to drive on this lake?
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Marauder (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
If you saw the way the people on this lake drive, especially the ones in rentals, you would not consider renting. Many have no idea what those black and white or red and white poles are for that are sticking out of the water.
And are you ready to check for the driving license required to drive on this lake?
Aren't those markers for the best fishing spots? I seem to see a lot of fishing boats around them.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As most other have said, no I would not do this. The biggest reason is that there aren't the proper controls in place.

When you look at renting your home, etc. Insurance companies make some concession and liability insurance isn't not a big deal $$$ wise. Because hey everyone has a home, and we all have visitors, so a renter isn't that much a bigger risk.

However as someone points out giving a renter access to you boat, when you don't know if they have training and experience is a big risk and liability and your insurance agent would charge you through the roof. When my family has rented our camp, we will not even give renter access to the canoe....

Now back on point, if you rented a boat how are you going to verify credentials... Sure in NH they have to have a Safe Boating Cert. But what does that prove? Not much... They won't have a log book from a recreation stand point, so they can't prove experience. In short no control. Last you have no way of telling if they have insurance to protect your investment if they do something stupid.

If you look at aviation to draw avenue of comparison, renting a private plane or co-owning a plane can work. Why because there are certification needed to fly particular aircraft and it is regulated with not only written tests but practical applied tests in actual planes. Pilots also have log books indicating their flying experience. Pilots can also purchase insurance, to cover their liability should they crash your plane. Take this all into account and renting or sharing a plane makes sense.

Unfortunately the Marine industry at the recreation, average joe level is not set up well to enjoy, sharing personal boats.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
Rich

Most of these rental companys have insurance to help you to rent your boat, as an example:

https://boatbound.co/insurance

So to me, it's not the cost or availability of insurance, but more the additional wear and tear and possible loss of (my) use.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
rowinghelmet

Thanks for all the feedback. The BoatBound platform provides $1 million in liability coverage and full damage coverage also. They allow owners to choose who they rent to so it's possible to verify boating knowledge and licenses ahead of time. I have a few bookings for week long rentals and have had good luck so far. I'll let you all know how things go after the rentals.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
Rich

What kind of boat do you have, what's it size and age?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Aguamenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowinghelmet View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. The BoatBound platform provides $1 million in liability coverage and full damage coverage also. They allow owners to choose who they rent to so it's possible to verify boating knowledge and licenses ahead of time. I have a few bookings for week long rentals and have had good luck so far. I'll let you all know how things go after the rentals.
We have certain weeks that I can't get up to NH at all, and our boat doesn't get nearly enough use. We rented a slip last year, this year we are trailering. Do you have to have your boat in the water to participate?
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #15
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Sounds like a mistake

As others have said, I would be very concerned about the liabiity of the owner should the unthinkable occur.

Can you see an attorney questioning you on the stand after an accident occurs involving your boat: "So you assumed that just because this person showed you a NH Safe Boating Certificate that they had the experience and knowledge to operate a boat safely?"

Can you be sure that the person who would rent your boat will not abuse it? Can you be sure that the person will dock and tie the way you would to eliminate the possibility of damage to your boat? Can you be certain that the operator of the boat will not consume a lot of alcohol? When your boat comes back, do you have a way to check the hull, drive, and propeller to be certain no damage was done?

The jet ski rental business in the Weirs Channel put in a lift so they could check the bottom of every ski returning from a rental because so many were coming back damaged. Many of the marinas on the lake that rent boats make substantial amounts of money every week repairing the damage done by their customers.

I have a rental house next to mine and last week the two males in the group passed the test and rented a pontoon boat. During that week (with two certificate holders onboard) they damaged the outboard ($250), got stranded in some rocks, and got a ticket for speed in a no wake zone.

So, I will stay away from renting and probably sleep better at night because of it!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
rowinghelmet

Quote:
What kind of boat do you have, what's it size and age?
I have a 1999 22ft Cobalt. It has a ton of hours so I'm not too concerned about additional wear and tear because I'm planning to recondition it this winter anyhow. Here's my boat- https://boatbound.co/boats/jzbrq

Quote:
We have certain weeks that I can't get up to NH at all, and our boat doesn't get nearly enough use. We rented a slip last year, this year we are trailering. Do you have to have your boat in the water to participate?
No, they provide insurance for trailering too. A renter could pickup the boat on the trailer.

Quote:
Can you see an attorney questioning you on the stand after an accident occurs involving your boat: "So you assumed that just because this person showed you a NH Safe Boating Certificate that they had the experience and knowledge to operate a boat safely?"
This is a really good point. I've been screening the renters, but will probably put together some sort of affidavit to document experience renters have claimed.

Quote:
Can you be sure that the person who would rent your boat will not abuse it? Can you be sure that the person will dock and tie the way you would to eliminate the possibility of damage to your boat? Can you be certain that the operator of the boat will not consume a lot of alcohol? When your boat comes back, do you have a way to check the hull, drive, and propeller to be certain no damage was done?
This is absolutely a concern. I'm planning to put the boat on the trailer between each rental to check the drive, hull, and prop.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
Rich

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

I think a smaller boat has a lot less thnigs to get damaged, than a larger boat with a cabin and interior fabrics to worry about.

I hope all your renters stay far away from the Witches!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
winnisummergal

Default Pm

Rowinghelmet,

I just sent you a PM regarding your boat.

winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #19
rowinghelmet

@winnisummergal, thanks for your interest. I just replied.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
znh

No. Nyet. Nein.

The amount of potential problems is way too much to even entertain that idea.

Especially on Winnipesaukee...we all know who treacherous this lake can be, why would you let someone inexperienced use your boat on this lake ? Insurance coverages or not it just sounds like a horrible idea. Maybe on a much smaller lake that is not so inherently dangerous as Winni is...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #21
caloway

Default There are a couple on CL that do it.

I rented a nice 22 footer a couple of years ago from a guy for $1k when I was between boats. Would have cost me 3x that from a dealer. It was an older boat, but in nice condition. He probably had that thing paid off in one season.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #22
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
No. Nyet. Nein.

The amount of potential problems is way too much to even entertain that idea.

Especially on Winnipesaukee...we all know who treacherous this lake can be, why would you let someone inexperienced use your boat on this lake ? Insurance coverages or not it just sounds like a horrible idea. Maybe on a much smaller lake that is not so inherently dangerous as Winni is...
treacherous?

inherently dangerous?

I have been on the lake every summer since 1970. I put 125 to 150 hours on the boat each year and I don't see it that way at all. I would use words like: clean, enjoyable, refreshing, fun, easy to navigate, and scenic. But................that's just me!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #23
Chaselady

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
treacherous?

inherently dangerous?

I have been on the lake every summer since 1970. I put 125 to 150 hours on the boat each year and I don't see it that way at all. I would use words like: clean, enjoyable, refreshing, fun, easy to navigate, and scenic. But................that's just me!
No, the lake isn't treacherous, for those that know it. But many people who are renting a cottage, and a boat, do not have the knowlege we do. I see them, every week-end, in front of our house, wrong side of the markers, "bang,bang" over the rocks. Clueless. Would not want them driving my boat.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote