Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default Is this as dumb as we think it is?

Hi,
Only a year into boating, so we've discovered that things we might think were dumb turn out to be normal. An example: we would've thought 3-years-old would be too young to tube, but my 3-year-old loves it!
That being said, we were boating to Winter Harbor to tweak the NRZ people who've been complaining about boaters anchoring too close to their docks (kidding) and, coming out of the Barber Pole into the Broads, there was a canoe with two adults and two very little children heading across the travel lane. Because they were in extremely rough water, they could barely move and were being tossed about. A few boats (4) had to stop and try to get around them.

My thoughts: it appears they may have been coming from the camp on the right and would have been safe to stay along that side instead of trying to cross such a busy/choppy section--I'm all for sharing the lake, but safety and courtesy should come first? I'd like to hear other's thoughts.

PS On the way back, there was an old, grizzled-looking guy in a tiny, tiny skiff with no PFD that gave us the stinkeye for passing him at 6 MPH (no-wake speed for my 'toon) in the same area.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
noreast

Simple answer, yes. If there are no children I say do what you want. People don't understand how fast things go south in water.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
dickiej

Like driving, boating can bring out the worst in people......I've been boating for almost 50 years and could write a book on the things I've seen.....I only go out on weekdays now. Weekends are like the boating scene in "Caddyshack".
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Like driving, boating can bring out the worst in people......I've been boating for almost 50 years and could write a book on the things I've seen.....I only go out on weekdays now. Weekends are like the boating scene in "Caddyshack".
I've no problems boating on the weekend, as we're never in a rush and will just slow down if we see a developing issue. And I'm not so much criticizing the people in the canoe as asking if people agree that crossed the line between sharing and safety.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
rick35

We have a lot of visitors to the Lake and unfortunately they aren't all aware of the "rules" of the lake. Like tubing back and forth in the area of the Cattle Landing dock where you can experience some of the most traffic and congestion on the lake. Or zooming through the rocks between Mark and Bear because its a wide open area and they didn't bother to check their map to find out that the markers identify the boat lanes. Or canoeing or kayaking in high traffic areas when they could have avoided boat traffic and big waves by using some common sense or just not going out if the conditions are too rough. I'm sure there are lot of "rules" everywhere on the lake. There' s just no way for visitors to know so we'll just have to be patient with them.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Greene's Basin Girl

I am out in my Seadoo or pontoon boat several days a week. I live in Green's Basin, but I travel all over the entire lake. For example on Friday I went on my Seadoo to Center Harbor and Saturday to Alton. Today we will go out in the pontoon boat. I have boated for over 6 decades. I have learned one thing over the years. BE AWARE AND CAUTIOUS ALL THE TIME!!! Other boaters cut me off even if I am traveling across to the right of their boat. They do not look or care. I can not tell you how many times I could have been hit by another boat. I have to take a step back and simply enjoy the lake with the upmost caution. The lake is not the same as traveling down the road with specific lanes of travel. Boats come from all directions and often at full speed. I never assume that they will follow boating laws and even notice me. The captain always must be alert.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
noreast (08-30-2015), trfour (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I am out in my Seadoo or pontoon boat several days a week. I live in Green's Basin, but I travel all over the entire lake. For example on Friday I went on my Seadoo to Center Harbor and Saturday to Alton. Today we will go out in the pontoon boat. I have boated for over 6 decades. I have learned one thing over the years. BE AWARE AND CAUTIOUS ALL THE TIME!!! Other boaters cut me off even if I am traveling across to the right of their boat. They do not look or care. I can not tell you how many times I could have been hit by another boat. I have to take a step back and simply enjoy the lake with the upmost caution. The lake is not the same as traveling down the road with specific lanes of travel. Boats come from all directions and often at full speed. I never assume that they will follow boating laws and even notice me. The captain always must be alert.
You've got it right GBG.....same here. I assume that everyone I meet on the lake may not know the rules so I am not expecting anyone to give way or be cautious in traffic. Never get a case of boat rage because I give way no matter who is in the right. Don't worry, be happy
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
thinkxingu

^ These are what I've adopted as well, which meant going really slow around the canoe to give them the best chance possible. Like I said, just trying to gauge the line between sharing and responsibility. Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
Acrossamerica

How about the 13 people that exited a small (holds six max.)boat at the Wolfeboro dock last evening and then stayed way past dark.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee

I drive my boat, the same way I drive my car...defensively. It is just so much harder with the boat. We took a ride around the Broads and Rattlesnake yesterday and my biggest fear was that I would not see someone in a kayak or a small skiff.

In answer to OPs question..it is stupid to cross a channel under those circumstances BUT people will act this way either through ignorance or acceptance of more risk than I think reasonable. Getting angry in these circumstances only reduces my ability to monitor for such careless people. It really does not matter whether I think it is dumb or not.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-30-2015), trfour (08-30-2015), upthesaukee (08-30-2015)