Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Japek

Unhappy Is Paugus Bay too busy?

My wife and I are in the market for a lake house right now so I was hoping I could get some advice from this forum. We love winnipesaukee but have been turned off by the police presence and busyness so we were looking at surrounding lakes like winnisquam and wentworth. I was just curious about Paugus Bay in the summer. Is it a place where you can comfortably paddle board and kayak or is it littered with boats and jet skis to the point where someone looking for a somewhat tranquil experience should avoid it? Thanks for your help.
Japek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Japek For This Useful Post:
GUD 2 GO! (11-09-2016), SteveO123 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japek View Post
My wife and I are in the market for a lake house right now so I was hoping I could get some advice from this forum. We love winnipesaukee but have been turned off by the police presence and busyness so we were looking at surrounding lakes like winnisquam and wentworth. I was just curious about Paugus Bay in the summer. Is it a place where you can comfortably paddle board and kayak or is it littered with boats and jet skis to the point where someone looking for a somewhat tranquil experience should avoid it? Thanks for your help.
Can you explain your concern about "police presence"?

As for busyness, we're in the north side of the lake and appreciate being able to choose to go to busy places or avoid them. The busiest day in Moultonborough Bay is still not busy.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
johnmcrae

If you're looking to be on Winni and have it be quiet, look to the northern section towards Moultonborough. Paugus is an extremely busy section of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Japek

Thanks John, I will keep an eye on that area as an option.

ThinkXingu- I have spent a good amount of time at winnipesaukee over the years and most recently... This summer my wife and I watched police repeatedly pull people over for what appeared to be no reason at all. I think it is great that they keep the lake safe, but it seems to take away from the atmosphere. Thanks for the moultonborough idea.. I was trying to find a place with the option to go somewhere busy but not be surrounded by it.
Japek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japek View Post
Thanks John, I will keep an eye on that area as an option.

ThinkXingu- I have spent a good amount of time at winnipesaukee over the years and most recently... This summer my wife and I watched police repeatedly pull people over for what appeared to be no reason at all. I think it is great that they keep the lake safe, but it seems to take away from the atmosphere. Thanks for the moultonborough idea.. I was trying to find a place with the option to go somewhere busy but not be surrounded by it.
I can't help but wonder if that's a function of where you spent most of your time. We've got hundreds of hours on our boat and saw, maybe, half a dozen interactions with police. Like I said, though, we're in the north where it's much quieter. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default NoT Really

First: In my opinion the police presence on Winnipesaukee, if anything, is too light. I put approximately 300 hours per season on multiple boats and see violations almost every time I am out. I would be glad to see more enforcement and I think the Marine Patrol does an excellent job with limited resources.

Second: If you are looking for quiet and tranquil there are many northern areas of the lake that will provide that. If you want to boat to places for food and entertainment there is no better place, with more options, than Winnipesaukee.

However, if your primary interest is kayaking and paddle boarding you should probably consider a smaller lake.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
8gv

My community is on Paugus Bay. My boat is moored there. On summer weekend days, the boat wakes have it bobbing up and down all day.

I found kayaking to be uncomfortable in these conditions. While I have never been on a SUP, I suspect that it is more challenging to keep upright.

I like Paugus Bay for tubing and others do too, thus the wakes.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
dpg

First I take the original posters "pulling people over" as meaning cars not boats but then again guess we need that clarified. I find a lot of out of state cars get pulled over but hey maybe that's just me (yup out of state driver here.) What took the cake for me was getting a warning last summer for pulling out onto rte 25 without my directional yes I did it ok sue me. What left a bad taste in my mouth was being behind the SAME cruiser and OFFICER literally the next morning turning into a convenience store and yup you guessed it no directional.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
First I take the original posters "pulling people over" as meaning cars not boats but then again guess we need that clarified. I find a lot of out of state cars get pulled over but hey maybe that's just me (yup out of state driver here.) What took the cake for me was getting a warning last summer for pulling out onto rte 25 without my directional yes I did it ok sue me. What left a bad taste in my mouth was being behind the SAME cruiser and OFFICER literally the next morning turning into a convenience store and yup you guessed it no directional.
Post#4 by the OP says maybe the pulling over by the police is making the lake safer; don't think pulling over cars by the police makes the lake safer.
Fit what it's worth, what I see in my little corner of the world (Alton Bay ) is no wake violations inside the bandstand area, 150 ft violations especially close to the bandstand, Sandy Point, Echo Point areas, and safety checks on boats that most boaters would say "Wow, is that boat overloaded! ".

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
Pineedles

Probably the most tranquil lake in the area is Squam. Few properties for sale and definitely pricey.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
8gv

I see plenty of 150' rule no wake violations.

This rule is somewhat unique to NH. Folks either wantonly disregard it or they aren't aware of it.

The no wake stop opens the door for other checks, much like the broken tail light on the road.

If operators would just abide by the no wake rules there would be much less flashing blue lights on the lake.

Unless I were a habitual rule breaker, I would not let Marine Patrol enforcement affect where I would buy property.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
Phantom

Wasn't going to jump in, but here I am ..............

To Japek's question .. if you like paddle boarding or kayaking then Paugus Bay (especially Fridays thru Sunday) although having an abundance of Real Estate available is not the best selection of areas. As others have said, the North end of the Lake however is much more suited to that lifestyle. Which is the diverse charm of this Lake.

Regarding Marine Patrol.... in my 30+ years boating here (+100hrs/yr.), I honestly thought, and actually made comment a couple of times this past season that there were very few patrol boats out and about compared to years past. This, in my mind, I attributed to general funding cut backs.

There was many a weekend that we would cruise for the entire day, or hold up at our favorite Sand Bar and RARELY see MP. I acknowledge exceptions to this as I am aware that both Braun Bay & Smith Cove area saw more than their fair share of patrol boats ........ but I am speaking of truly "Patrolling" the Lake ....... gone this year was the fixture patrol boat that hovered outside the Weirs channel every weekend as well as the one who habitually lurked behind Eagle Isl.

Just one boaters observation !

Old 11-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
codeman671

Paugus Bay is sheer chaos on the weekends. The lines to get in and out of the channel can be long. Definitely not peaceful, except during the week.

I think a heavier MP presence in this area relates to increased traffic, drinking at the Nazwa and Margate sandbar, and more boating infractions. People tend to forget safe passage laws in Paugus Bay.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
brk-lnt

We had a place on Paugus Bay for 10 years. I thought it was an ideal spot overall. I was not a kayaker, but neighbors were, they mostly went out in the mornings on weekends before all the traffic.

To me, Paugus always seemed less busy than the larger part of the lake overall. The channel is a minor inconvenience at best, and it has the benefit of keeping many people OUT of PB. Too much hassle to go through the channel just to cruise around for many people.

Any place on the lake that is accessible to boats gets choppy on the weekends, mostly from July through August. Late spring/early summer, and September (or October when the weather allows) is fairly calm.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #15
AC2717

I've been in Paugus for 10 years
I don't find it busy except for the channel on Saturdays like everyone else

but nothing beasts being able to get to places in 5 minutes love the location
Old 11-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

4th of July weekend:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (12-17-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Wasn't going to jump in, but here I am ..............

To Japek's question .. if you like paddle boarding or kayaking then Paugus Bay (especially Fridays thru Sunday) although having an abundance of Real Estate available is not the best selection of areas. As others have said, the North end of the Lake however is much more suited to that lifestyle. Which is the diverse charm of this Lake.

Regarding Marine Patrol.... in my 30+ years boating here (+100hrs/yr.), I honestly thought, and actually made comment a couple of times this past season that there were very few patrol boats out and about compared to years past. This, in my mind, I attributed to general funding cut backs.

There was many a weekend that we would cruise for the entire day, or hold up at our favorite Sand Bar and RARELY see MP. I acknowledge exceptions to this as I am aware that both Braun Bay & Smith Cove area saw more than their fair share of patrol boats ........ but I am speaking of truly "Patrolling" the Lake ....... gone this year was the fixture patrol boat that hovered outside the Weirs channel every weekend as well as the one who habitually lurked behind Eagle Isl.

Just one boaters observation !

I would think that Smith Cove would see lots of patrol boats since MP HQ is there!
LOL sorry couldn't resist
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #18
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
I would think that Smith Cove would see lots of patrol boats since MP HQ is there!
LOL sorry couldn't resist
You are ABSOLUTELY correct !! My bad, I think you might have guessed I meant "Small Cove" ........ ....... FL #75

Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #19
kjkam

Default Paugus Bay

It's busy on weekends, but the waves don't start up til almost lunch and it calms down again in the evening, there is a small cove that connects to the bay that is great for peace and tranquility, though are very limited with the size of the boat that can get in there, but perfect spot to kayak, fish, paddle, never a wave in there
kjkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #20
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

I just joined this site today. I've been going to the lakes region for over 40 years now and I've never seen it as busy as this past summer. Traffic was horrible every weekend and Paugus bay channel was the worst I've ever seen it. I first owned a place on Winni in Alton bay 40 years ago. Then I had a place on Winnisquam 20 years ago and most recently I bought a place on Waukewaun. I guess as I get older I prefer the quite lake experience. Winni is just too crazy for boating unless you can go out during the week. I found Waukewaun to be too my liking at my age. My wife and I like to Kayak and it provides a peaceful experience. Yet when the kids and grandkids come up I can still take them tubing and water skiing. I guess it's all about what stage of your life you are in. JMO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #21
8gv

As Yogi said...

Nobody goes there anymore it's too crowded!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #22
AC2717

the Margate sandbar has become the new place to be on the lake I guess, but it does not bother me in the slightest even been close to it.
there is a current to the bay and I think it is one of the better swimming places on the lake (the bay not the sand bar)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #23
baastan

I'm up near center harbor Meredith line (leavitt park) near Beckys garden and it's never too busy. I agree weirs etc are all chaotic, but that's due to people coming and going. I spent some time in Paugus Bay this summer, near the margate sand bar, it's nice, but relatively calm compared to say Braun Bay. Police presence, a good thing!! I got pulled over this summer for the first time for violating the no wake rule in Meredith bay, completely guilty, to be honest I lost my bearings a bit, came in along the coast and was checking out HHH house and forgot totally it was no wake. I've been on the lake for 15 years and was maybe my 10th time down there by boat. The office did a safety check and didn't write me a ticket, I am more than appreciative of what they do on the water... lot of aholes out there, that make it very dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #24
Spider Girl

Default HHH House in Meredith Bay?

What is this?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #25
MeredithMan

Default HHH house

Triple H, the professional wrestler's house, (more like estate)
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Spider Girl (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #26
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Girl View Post
What is this?
Never seen it? I think he bought just the land for 9 million a few years back. From the road it has a huge iron gate all along it and a guest house the size of a normal lake house. Impressive to say the least.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
Spider Girl (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

He had his own private fireworks display on Labor day weekend big enough to rival any town fireworks. The firework barges were parked at Meredith town docks the next day.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Spider Girl (12-12-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #28
baastan

He bought axl roses old property, take a look if you are ever in the area, it's gorgeous. He did take all the R's off the long gate .... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote