Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Mooring Questions

So I have a 1000 lb concrete block that I use as a weight for my swim raft. When I take the raft out at the end of the year I would like to use this same block as a mooring as the low water levels especially this year have left me somewhat stranded. While I still have one useable space for one boat, it leaves us no other docking space for our secondary boat or any visitors who might stop by. (I currently have to park our secondary boat at my neighbors dock)

My questions are...

#1. Do you see any reason why a mooring permit would be denied for this reason??

#2. Having never applied for a mooring permit, where do I apply?

#3. Is 1000 lb concrete block enough weight for a 24' boat in a high wind area? (My raft never moved in 8 years!)

Thanks!

Dan
Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
So I have a 1000 lb concrete block that I use as a weight for my swim raft. When I take the raft out at the end of the year I would like to use this same block as a mooring as the low water levels especially this year have left me somewhat stranded. While I still have one useable space for one boat, it leaves us no other docking space for our secondary boat or any visitors who might stop by. (I currently have to park our secondary boat at my neighbors dock)

My questions are...

#1. Do you see any reason why a mooring permit would be denied for this reason??

#2. Having never applied for a mooring permit, where do I apply?

#3. Is 1000 lb concrete block enough weight for a 24' boat in a high wind area? (My raft never moved in 8 years!)

Thanks!

Dan
Dan you have a valid reason for the permit as you are on an island and need to maintain safe mooring of you boat to access your property. The application is available I believe through the MP website... and I am sure you can get one at their office in Belmont....

As for your current block being big enough... It depends on the 24' boat.... and also the scope of the chain you have down to the block..... I would personally think you would be fine....
ishoot308 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
MeredithMan

Default Mooring info....

If I recall correctly, the Mooring application is on the Dept of Safety website, under "mooring program", or something like that. You have to write a few sentences as to why you believe you need the mooring and make a diagram as to where the mooring will be placed, relative to your shoreline, abutters, etc

You will also have to supply the information about the boat that will be on the mooring, (copy of boat reg). They do this to try to minimize, (eliminate), the chances of people just throwing in moorings haphazardly. Note that each spring when you go for that year's mooring decal, you will again have to provide a copy of the boat reg for the boat to be placed on the mooring.

Regarding size of the block, it is really a function of the size and weight of the boat. I had 1000 lbs of block and it held my 5000 lb, 25' Cobalt just fine. This year, I added a few hundred pounds of block, because I got a new boat that was in the 6000+lb range, and that works fine. I would also recommend SS chains and hardware...it is worth the extra $ up front.

Good luck!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default weight?

I certainly don't know the calculations, but I have heard of boats moving the mooring due to a lot of wave action lifting the boat/mooring block. Probably too short on the scope, and forgot that 1000 lbs on shore isn't the same when in the water. Of course, it won't drag into shallow water, but an extra line from the mooring block to the shore would prevent drift. If you have a predicted, extended NW storm and want to tie up on the south side, feel free. Plenty of room right behind the "Viking".
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote