Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Steeler and Athena

This is our rescue shepherd, Steeler (that was his name- we are Pats fans!) and his girl Athena (she is 10 months old and was a rescue as well). We have been teaching Athena to sit and give her paw, but Steeler keeps sticking his nose in!

Steeler is a 4 YO gentle giant- he hovers around 140 pounds and his one floppy ear is disarming. He loves his three cats- we have two other feral cats that were born in my FILs backyard, Cleo and Ramses.

He loves meeting new friends- dogs of any size. He lived in a barn at a no kill shelter with a bunch of dogs, cats and horses so he is super socialized. I am a Cesar Milan believer so he is well behaved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thar80-KvSg

As I was typing this my wife told me "you should post the one of Athena playing catch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWn5...OtmCyxHY7Y0uI=
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (04-01-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Just Sold

Steeler and Athena look like a great pair. Thanks for posting the video's
I had our Rosie up at Fay's yesterday introducing her to the docks and she enjoyed herself. Can't wait to get her out for a cruise.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
This is our rescue shepherd, Steeler (that was his name- we are Pats fans!) and his girl Athena (she is 10 months old and was a rescue as well). We have been teaching Athena to sit and give her paw, but Steeler keeps sticking his nose in!

Steeler is a 4 YO gentle giant- he hovers around 140 pounds and his one floppy ear is disarming. He loves his three cats- we have two other feral cats that were born in my FILs backyard, Cleo and Ramses.

He loves meeting new friends- dogs of any size. He lived in a barn at a no kill shelter with a bunch of dogs, cats and horses so he is super socialized. I am a Cesar Milan believer so he is well behaved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thar80-KvSg

As I was typing this my wife told me "you should post the one of Athena playing catch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWn5...OtmCyxHY7Y0uI=

THey are so cute! Athena is so smart. I once had a cat that I taught to do a lot of tricks, too. They are smarter than given credit for. If you spend the time with them I think they can learn almost anything a dog can. It is hard when trying to teach two at once.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

I so much enjoyed watching Steeler and Athena.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Big Smiles!

What a couple of fine looking and smart animals! Steeler's ear is adorably perfect. It gives him such character. Please don't ever tell Athena that she isn't a dog! She is absolutely precious!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
NickNH

How sweet!!!
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Well my well behaved boy Steeler decided to go visit with Pasha and her yoga class at Holland Hill studio the other day (my son was home sick and let him out then forgot about him). After he ate all the food off of their picnic lunch he started to try to procreate with some class members. I am assuming they were in the downward facing dog position

Sorry Pasha
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (03-23-2012), NickNH (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

I did a yoga class with Pasha on Wednesday morning outside the Moultonborough Recreation Department. I sure wish Steeler has come to this class to visit. I would have taken him home to hang-out with my fifteen year old cat named Jezzie. They could have had a play date.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Wicked Funny!!!

I think he is just trying to keep his masters humble. Dogs do that sometimes.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Well my well behaved boy Steeler decided to go visit with Pasha and her yoga class at Holland Hill studio the other day (my son was home sick and let him out then forgot about him). After he ate all the food off of their picnic lunch he started to try to procreate with some class members. I am assuming they were in the downward facing dog position

Sorry Pasha
OOPS.... Funny.... Dog are interesting, it like they know you are praising the behavior to others, so they then go and act like a fool for all to see....

My wife and I where commenting on how well Gamble was behaving... And well, I tried to let him run loose, at an empty park, and when people started showing up.... he sat across the field and looked at me, while I called him....
Luckily he is scared to death of being left behind, so I headed to the car, and as soon as the rear hatch went up, and the engine started he was more willing to listen.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Steeler is good looking boy. Just be careful of his weight. ie....treats...GS dogs are prone to hip Dysplasia. Extra weigh exaserbates the problem. Not saying he is fat BTW! Having raised German Shepards most of my life I get nervous when I see a dog sit on his hip. GS dogs should sit on both hind quarters equally. Steeler looks like he sits on his two quarts well, so good for you. It helps keep their hips aligned.

Oh, one more trick. When giving Steeler a treat bring the treat up to your nose first.This makes him look you in the eye/face which is key to good training. When a person is giving a command to a dog it is imperative he looks at you and watches your eyes and face for direction. The cat, I don't think will even care if you look it in the eye...Cats are like that....
Sorry though...Not preaching...just teaching. My wife says I like to stick my nose in other peoples dogs business....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote