Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default The ticks are here

Hey all you pet owners it’s that time of year again.
As early as it seems the ticks are already out, my wife just found a huge one on one of our dogs.
I keep a small jar of alcohol and just drop them in and they are dead in no time. The ticks, not the dog...
Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
RLW

Thanks,we have been pulling them for the past 10 to 14 days. I believe most are coming from the trees from the wind we have been having for the last bunch of days here at the lake.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
kchadw

Default ticks ?????

My wife and I will be coming to the Winnipesaukee area for the summer with our two dogs....We now use the Walmart copy of Frontline plus...is this adaquate for ridding ticks in your area ? Works great here in Florida....thanks
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
My wife and I will be coming to the Winnipesaukee area for the summer with our two dogs....We now use the Walmart copy of Frontline plus...is this adaquate for ridding ticks in your area ? Works great here in Florida....thanks
If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, I believe the Walmart copy of Frontline is not waterproof. If your dogs like to swim it comes right off. Please double check this info as I do not remember where I heard or read it but if true you will want to be careful.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Ask your vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, I believe the Walmart copy of Frontline is not waterproof. If your dogs like to swim it comes right off. Please double check this info as I do not remember where I heard or read it but if true you will want to be careful.

Dan
I asked our vet about giving the dogs a bath after treating them. I was told to wait 24-48 hours before giving them a bath so the product could be absorbed through the skin.
So I asked how it works and was told that the reason you want to apply the product to the skin and not the fur is because the product is absorbed through the skin and into the blood stream and that is how they are protected.
Oh and any ticks you see on them it is ok to leave them on as they will soon die and fall off.
Ya right, I pull them off as soon as I see one and place it in alcohol.
As for Walmart brand, there are some things we don’t use Walmart for and that is one of them.
I believe my wife uses pet meds.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Frontline should not be used on humans

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-12-2012), hancoveguy (04-17-2012), ishoot308 (04-12-2012), Jonas Pilot (04-12-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-12-2012), RLW (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Well done, McDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
There are so many things that could have been said, relative to this quote, and just about every one of them would have been so wrong!!!!!

BR, keep this thread hidden from her eyes!
Belmont Resident (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Ticks

Until last year, I had been the only one that had a tick attach to me. Over these many years we only found a few ticks crawling on Mac, but we spotted them before they attached. We never had the need to use a tick repellant on him at all. Last year Bailey being a youngster and enjoying roving around, found way more on the island than I would have hoped.

Ticked Off

We tried this tool, but did not have good results, which may be a result of her longer and curly hair at the time. Bailey would just freak out.
Our son had great results using this tool on their pretty dog, Fiona.

Trix Ticklasso

Last fall I picked up this tool and thankfully have not had need of it. Been practicing with it, so Bail will hopefully not freak out again.
Our son used it on Fiona, but it didn't work as well as the Ticked Off tool.

Contech Tick Twister Pro

On a recent Amazon purchase, I picked up this tool because I could easily carry it with me on my key ring. I have not yet had need of it.

Just before starting training classes with Bailey, I had to put her on some sort of tick control. I made the mistake of buying local - Amazon sells 6 doses for what I spent for 3 doses of Frontline Plus. I went with Frontline because I was told it doesn't have a scent. My concern was for my super severe allergies to fragrances. So far, so good.

How do you remove ticks from your dog and what more should I do? Thanks!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
kchadw

Default ticks

Thanks for all the response about ticks....In our travels up and down the east coast our dogs ( 2 ) have adopted a few ticks....we have always used frontline plus and it has always worked wonderfully....When we did find a tick, it was dead and fell off within a day.

Although, I usually don't shop at Walmart, they started advertising a product for fleas and ticks and it has exactly the same ingredients as Frontline for about half the price so we picked some up and tried it and it works fine..

Haven't asked the vet about it, but will when I take them for their shots before leaving Fl. for our extended stay in N. H. soon...

Thanks again for all the response.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
MikeF-NH

since my dog hunts with me in the Fall, we are VERY familiar with ticks. I probably take hundreds off him (and myself) each Fall. Frontline either kills or at least sterilizes them but expect some bloody tick carcasses around the house as they must "feed" first to absorb the poison. Eventually, your property will have less and less ticks because your dog becomes your exterminator. Even though I know the ticks will die, I like to pick them off the dog before they feed to prevent the transmision of Lyme. Even on thick golden retriever fur they are easy to pick off. Don't freak out, they wont bite you will picking them off....they don't bite defensively...only when ready to feed.

To dispose of them, my favorite method is to put them on Scotch Tape and fold the tape onto itself. it's easy and very effective AND it give me a chance to show my kids so they can recognize them.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
NickNH

I like the Scotch Tape idea! My favorite is to light them on fire......
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
jrc

I usually kill them by popping them between hard surfaces.

Frontline and the clones do not repel ticks they put tick poison in the dogs blood. The tick need to bite the dog, take some blood then it will die. Are you sure that the tick born diseases don't get into the dog before the tick dies?

I use DEET based sprays on me and any animals, strongest I can find. It keeps the ticks from biting in the first place. Lyme disease is real, I know too many people with real health issues from it. The worst part about Lyme is that the tiniest ticks transmit it, not the big, easy to spot "dog" ticks. You really need to protect yourself in the woods.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
winniplayhouse

We've had three ticks on two humans in the past two days. Only one other before in the 8 years we've lived here so I'd say it's gonna be a baaaaad tick season.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
donnamatrix

Default Get your dog vaccinated

Our dog received the Lyme disease vaccine. Wish there was a vaccine for humans, but not yet. In our puppy obedience class in Wolfeboro, two of the 6 dogs have been diagnosed with Lyme disease, since February-that is a disturbing number. I vote for the vaccine.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Onshore

Since we have field personnel that need to get into highly infested areas ticks are a common topic of conversation in our office. The link below goes to a very comprehensive and informatve website about ticks and how to deal with them.

http://www.tickencounter.org/
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
donnamatrix (04-19-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-21-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Barney Bear

Our last two Scottish terriers had Lyme disease. Our veterinarian said that over fifty percent of dogs with whom he has had as patients had this disease. Our pets were treated and were okay after that.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
donnamatrix

Default Very useful tick site

Thanks ShoreLine --- except now I don't think I will ever go out in sandals.

It was very useful to learn that ticks do NOT fall out of the trees, but are always climbing UP. Also, to put your clothes into the dryer when you come inside for 15 minutes will kill ticks, but wash/spin cycles will not kill them. I gotta call Bartlett Tree to get that perimeter spray. I think I am tick freaking out here!
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-19-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
hilltopper

I ordered my permethrin spray last week. Time to grab a couple of my outdoor outfits/footwear and a few of the wife and daughter's and douse them good. It's also a good idea to tuck your pants inside your socks. You won't win any fashion shows but it will afford better protection.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
You won't win any fashion shows but it will afford better protection.
What do ya' mean? That is the traditional New Hampshire spring fashion!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
What do ya' mean? That is the traditional New Hampshire spring fashion!
I'm in my thirties and grew up in Norhtern VT...I had no idea it was NH tradition.

I do remember living in rubber boots from about mid March to early May although this year that's not required attire.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
donnamatrix

Default What and where from?

Hilltopper: What product did you order, and where did you get it from.

OMG: we found a tick on the wall in the living room last night. I thought my head would explode.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Hilltopper: What product did you order, and where did you get it from.
I ordered the Sawyer Duranon Permethrin Insect Repellent from cableas.com. I chose this brand only because it is what Cableas offered and I had a gift certificate. As long as permethrin is the active ingredient you're good to go. I suggest purchasing spray bottles and not aerosol cans.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
Nagigator

Default thats bad but.........

OMG: we found a tick on the wall in the living room last night. I thought my head would explode.[/QUOTE]

How about you pull back the covers on the bed, ready to go to sleep, and there's one crawling across the sheet..........
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
donnamatrix

Default In the bed ???

OMG. I can't even think of a reply. I am starting to itch. But I think I would be screeching....while running down the hall.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
Nagigator

I did that..........AFTER I ripped the bed apart!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #26
Greene's Basin Girl

I have found ticks on me for decades. I guess after the above posts I must be lucky to still be alive.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #27
kchadw

are ticks around all summer or just in the spring in that area...? Or are there just more if them in the spring..?

We won't be up there until around the first of June or after...I plan on getting some of that stuff from Cabela's ...and hope to get the lyme desease for the dogs when we get their annual shots before we leave here ( Fla )...and probably spray the motor home too...

Could be there are so many around this year because you had such a mile winta...somethings always seem to get out of order when Mother Nature plays her tricks....

Thanks so much for all the information...this is our first extended stay trip back home to N. H. So its always great to get my mind updated...( sometimes a difficult thing to do, lol )
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #28
Belmont Resident

Default ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
are ticks around all summer or just in the spring in that area...? Or are there just more if them in the spring..?

We won't be up there until around the first of June or after...I plan on getting some of that stuff from Cabela's ...and hope to get the lyme desease for the dogs when we get their annual shots before we leave here ( Fla )...and probably spray the motor home too...

Could be there are so many around this year because you had such a mile winta...somethings always seem to get out of order when Mother Nature plays her tricks....

Thanks so much for all the information...this is our first extended stay trip back home to N. H. So its always great to get my mind updated...( sometimes a difficult thing to do, lol )
Ticks are an all year thing in this area and always have been. With the warm winter they are expected to be especially bad.