Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Why so few tenders?

Another thread got me thinking about big boats and public docks. Instead of trying to find docks space for a 35+ footer, why not just anchor and use a tender to come ashore? That's "normal" pretty much everywhere, but I have never seen it happen on Winnipesaukee. You can always find dock space for a 10' RIB...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
FWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Another thread got me thinking about big boats and public docks. Instead of trying to find docks space for a 35+ footer, why not just anchor and use a tender to come ashore? That's "normal" pretty much everywhere, but I have never seen it happen on Winnipesaukee. You can always find dock space for a 10' RIB...
overnight anchoring Is Illegal on Winnipesaukee

FWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWP View Post
overnight anchoring Is Illegal on Winnipesaukee

I know you are kidding, but I meant for times when the docks are crowded, like say lunch time on a Saturday.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
HellRaZoR004

Be ready to get flamed for this post. I asked the same question last year (anchor and kayak in) and everyone frowned on it. Despite it being perfectly legal!

That being said, I've considered it a few times. And you're exactly right, it's the norm most anywhere else.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Rich

I think it to would be a great idea, but to carry around a tender only for weekend lunches at town docks, etc. Is a bit much for me.

As it is, I feel we have way too many floaties, noodles and other water toys on board. Lol

Maybe if more boats on the lake used tenders it would be a more popular option, but I don't think I would carry a tender only for this purpose.

Maybe I'll borrow a canoe next season a couple of times and see how it works out.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Rich

Another idea, someone could start a shuttle business. Boats anchor off, and someone could pick you up and drop you off for $10. I pay that every time!

Any entrepreneurs here?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Another idea, someone could start a shuttle business. Boats anchor off, and someone could pick you up and drop you off for $10. I pay that every time!

Any entrepreneurs here?
Restaurants should do that. I know the one in Back Bay will shuttle you from the docks, but if I'm at the docks already, walking is no big deal. I bet they'd pick you up at your boat, if you asked.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Any entrepreneurs here?
you beat me to is, hell of a small summer business for a couple of teenagers
Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
Kamper

FWIW:

A true tender is not registered and can only be used 'ship-shore.' This is legal in NH. Take a look at the Mount Washington. That little skimmer is a tender. It carries the mother-ships registration followed by "-1" to indicate it is tender #1 for that vessel.

If the little boat were registered it would be a launch and you can do what you like with it.

----------------------

I can't remember if it's a law here but you my not be legal to leave an anchored boat unattended. You'll want to check on that. What might get you some grief is anchoring in a congested area. If you try this, I suggest you 'park' a good distance away along the shore and not in the traveled areas.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
FWIW:

A true tender is not registered and can only be used 'ship-shore.' This is legal in NH. Take a look at the Mount Washington. That little skimmer is a tender. It carries the mother-ships registration followed by "-1" to indicate it is tender #1 for that vessel.

If the little boat were registered it would be a launch and you can do what you like with it.

----------------------

I can't remember if it's a law here but you my not be legal to leave an anchored boat unattended. You'll want to check on that. What might get you some grief is anchoring in a congested area. If you try this, I suggest you 'park' a good distance away along the shore and not in the traveled areas.

Good luck!
definitely worth looking into I would like at least research it for places like the new enlarged Meredith bay NWZ and Wolfeboro and even Alton
Old 11-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
The problem is Winni is land locked, and the state can set rules against it, if it becomes practice on Winnipesaukee and people don't like it.....

Not Saying I don't agree with it..... but as soon as people start doing it, if they can, other will start objecting to it.... and the next thing we know a new boating regulation....

Now to expand upon this, I think for this to be successful business and towns would have to create public Mooring area's.... with fixed morning spots.... otherwise the calamity that would ensue would be horrible. On top of that there would have to be a minimum boat length to use the public mooring area, other wise your clown with an 18' bowrider that is impatient will use the mooring and swim in... etc. etc. etc
Old 11-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
----------------------

Good luck!
I could not find a law against leaving a boat unattended at anchor. I imagine there would be some people bothered by anchored boats, which is sad since it's how the rest of the world outside of Winnipesaukee handles big boats and public docks...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
I know you are kidding, but I meant for times when the docks are crowded, like say lunch time on a Saturday.
This is a case where the captain sacrifices for his passengers. Drop them all off and let them do their thing while you go for a cruise or wait for a spot to open up. Tell them to bring you a lunch to go. I've seen every town on the lake 100 times anyway. I'd rather be on my boat.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Dave R (11-29-2016), Phantom (11-29-2016), Reilly (12-03-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
brk-lnt

Quote:
I could not find a law against leaving a boat unattended at anchor. I imagine there would be some people bothered by anchored boats, which is sad since it's how the rest of the world outside of Winnipesaukee handles big boats and public docks...
Yes, but you're often talking about areas of water that are way larger. People aren't going to anchor in the broads and take a tender to Meredith, they're going to anchor 100' off the docks and create gridlock in those areas.

Most boats on the lake aren't big enough to carry a decent tender anyway, which is likely why you don't see this happening. Little true practicality, not enough large boats to have room for a tender.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

While I think having a tender operation from shore could be a great addition to some busy town docks (with a proper anchoring field of course), can you imagine, especially in this litigious society we live in, the liability on the tender operator / owner! Heaven forbid someone slips on the boat or falls in the water. There isn't a teenager around who could afford the insurance necessary to run such a business. It's a shame really....

Dan
Old 11-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Weirs Docks

The Weirs should allow tendering off the beach area as the docks are too close to each other to use them efficiently. About two decades ago. I would anchor the boat of at the southern end of the docks before the beach. We would swim in. When we returned from our walk around the Weirs a marine cadet, (remember them?) was nearby and approach the boat as we boarded. Can't recall the exact words, but no one is to anchor off public docks in NH. He gave me a warning.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
noreast

That and, What percent of "captains" would you trust to anchor anywhere near you? They'd set it 50' away, 5 minutes later it would be wrapped around your boat twice and bouncing off another. Disaster waiting to happen. But, In theory it's a good idea.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
This is a case where the captain sacrifices for his passengers. Drop them all off and let them do their thing while you go for a cruise or wait for a spot to open up. Tell them to bring you a lunch to go. I've seen every town on the lake 100 times anyway. I'd rather be on my boat.
I have done that. That said, I have not even tried to get a spot during busy times in the last 6 or 7 years. I usually save my trips to the ports for quiet times, like breakfast on a weekend, late dinner on Sunday or any time on non-holiday weekdays. I also don't have a boat big enough for tender, I was just thinking about those that do and struggle to find a place to dock.

I built a remote control for my anchor windlass that operates with a key chain fob. I have not done it yet, but if I ever need to dock somewhere and there are no spots, I plan to Mediterranean moor off the end of a dock with crossed stern lines, and use the remote to tighten the rode after I step ashore.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #19
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The Weirs should allow tendering off the beach area as the docks are too close to each other to use them efficiently. About two decades ago. I would anchor the boat of at the southern end of the docks before the beach. We would swim in. When we returned from our walk around the Weirs a marine cadet, (remember them?) was nearby and approach the boat as we boarded. Can't recall the exact words, but no one is to anchor off public docks in NH. He gave me a warning.
No offense but in all the years I've been boating on the lake I don't think I've ever docked at the Weirs. I just don't find it an enjoyable place anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I think they should level the whole block.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #20
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
No offense but in all the years I've been boating on the lake I don't think I've ever docked at the Weirs. I just don't find it an enjoyable place anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I think they should level the whole block.
Yea but it keeps many people away from the other town docks, It has it's place.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #21
Biggd

Quote:
I have done that. That said, I have not even tried to get a spot during busy times in the last 6 or 7 years. I usually save my trips to the ports for quiet times, like breakfast on a weekend, late dinner on Sunday or any time on non-holiday weekdays. I also don't have a boat big enough for tender, I was just thinking about those that do and struggle to find a place to dock.

I built a remote control for my anchor windlass that operates with a key chain fob. I have not done it yet, but if I ever need to dock somewhere and there are no spots, I plan to Mediterranean moor off the end of a dock with crossed stern lines, and use the remote to tighten the rode after I step ashore.
I'm no longer on the big lake. I'm on lake Waukewaun but on occasion I take my boat out and bring it over to the big lake for the day. By the end of the day I've had my fill for a few months. I'm glad to head back to my quite lake.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
Dave R

Please bear in mind, I don't have a boat big enough to carry a tender, and when I get one (a Tollycraft 45 currently tops my list of live-aboard boats I am considering), it won't be kept on the lake. I only started this thread in response to another thread about a 30 foot boat, in which (the thread not the boat) there were a few responses about how difficult it is to find a spot for a 30+ foot boat at the town docks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Yes, but you're often talking about areas of water that are way larger. People aren't going to anchor in the broads and take a tender to Meredith, they're going to anchor 100' off the docks and create gridlock in those areas.

Most boats on the lake aren't big enough to carry a decent tender anyway, which is likely why you don't see this happening. Little true practicality, not enough large boats to have room for a tender.
If most boats aren't big enough for a tender, what would cause the gridlock? Also, it's really the size of the boats and the number of dock spaces available in the popular ports that make using a tender a good option, not the size of the body of water.

My point was not for everyone to get a tender and use it at the town docks. I was just wondering why those that have boats big enough to carry a tender don't anchor out and use one. They could easily anchor 1/4 mile+ from the dock, motor in with dinghy, be completely out of the way, and never ever have trouble finding a place to tie up.

I'm hoping someone will read this and think "oh, I should do that!" and then they would frequent the town docks more often, and the businesses around the town docks would get more revenue, and someone else would see them do it and copy them and the businesses would get even more revenue etc. Imagine if the inside/back slips at Weirs Beach were packed with 10 foot RIBs, each carrying two to four paying customers from anchored cruisers. The town could even install moorings if needed. That kind of money could do wonders for the area.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Can't recall the exact words, but no one is to anchor off public docks in NH. He gave me a warning.
Please show us the RSA on this one, or some other law in writing.

There usually are some restrictions about not anchoring near Weirs beach or off the Weirs town docks during bike week.

From: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html
Quote:
Saf-C 404.11 Weirs Beach Restriction.

(a) No person shall anchor, moor or raft as defined in RSA 270:42, IV, on the portion of Lake Winnipesaukee known as Weir’s Beach in the city of Laconia from:

(1) An imaginary line that runs from the northeastern corner of the Winnipesaukee Pier to the northernmost light buoy that marks the northernmost end of the Weirs Channel and continuing on to the shoreline; and

(2) All points south of said imaginary line to include the Weirs Channel area to the lighted navigational aid marking the southernmost end of the Weirs Channel.

(b)This section shall be implemented each year, beginning on the Wednesday before the annual Motorcycle Week in Laconia, at Weir’s Beach, and ending at noon on the last day of Motorcycle Week.
Here's a historical mention of it:
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/commu...y-of-bike-week

I also know there is a law about no anchoring overnight on NH inland waters. This wouldn't affect someone anchoring for a period of time, even after dark, just be sure your all around anchor light is on if it's after sundown.
https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...faq.html#sleep

There also is a law about headway only speed within 150 ft of a dock, shore, etc.
https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/....html#distance

And no anchoring within 150 ft of shore in a 'no rafting zone'. (see Saf-C 407.01)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html

I could be wrong, but please, let's not start another lake myth. If it's true, please quote the source of this. I like to learn this stuff so I'm not caught off guard as, after all, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding of the bike week restrictions, or it happened to be during bike week?

Last edited by Rich; 11-30-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #24
lakershaker

Quote:
As long as it's not in the path of boating traffic, otherwise it could be considered a hazard to navigation...
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #25
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Top notch captains

We've all seen some really top notch captains around the various town docks. I'm waiting for one of these guys to drive over your anchor rode and set your boat adrift, possible connected to his boat which is no longer maneuverable. I'm not worried about my boat. I have 150' of chain.

How about, instead of businesses supplying a shuttle, they all chip in and make the bridge into Back Bay a draw bridge? With a toll fee to pay them back?

The expanded NWZ in Meredith makes a perfect set up for a mooring field, a commercial launch and/or a load/unload only dock. I don't think there's good room for a mooring field in Alton, Wolfeboro, Weirs.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We've all seen some really top notch captains around the various town docks. I'm waiting for one of these guys to drive over your anchor rode and set your boat adrift, possible connected to his boat which is no longer maneuverable. I'm not worried about my boat. I have 150' of chain.

How about, instead of businesses supplying a shuttle, they all chip in and make the bridge into Back Bay a draw bridge? With a toll fee to pay them back?

The expanded NWZ in Meredith makes a perfect set up for a mooring field, a commercial launch and/or a load/unload only dock. I don't think there's good room for a mooring field in Alton, Wolfeboro, Weirs.
Hundreds of thousands of boaters idle around anchored boats every day around the world with very few issues. It's not really all that challenging. However, no one should anchor anywhere that would impede boats going to or from the docks.

Regarding space for mooring fields, Wolfeboro already has one near the docks and there's plenty of room to add more. The area between the Mount Washington dock and Sandy Point, west of the two spars in Alton Bay, could support a huge mooring field. Weirs could easily have a mooring field in the shallow water south of FL1. Not sure any moorings are really needed though, anchors are perfect for anchoring.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #27
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post

There is a 15 minute docking section in Meredith. That is suppose to be for loading and unloading. They should probably change the signage to read "loading and unloading only".
Old 12-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #28
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Here's another thought: Mediterranean Docking off the end of the docks in Wolfeboro or Merideth. Drop the anchor with appropriate scope. Back down toward the dock. Tie off the stern lines with a cross pattern; starboard stern cleat line to left dock post, and port stern cleat line to right dock post. Appropriate spring lines tied off and most slack taken off the anchor rode. (For me, my rode would be all chain! )

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #29
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Here's another thought: Mediterranean Docking off the end of the docks in Wolfeboro or Merideth. Drop the anchor with appropriate scope. Back down toward the dock. Tie off the stern lines with a cross pattern; starboard stern cleat line to left dock post, and port stern cleat line to right dock post. Appropriate spring lines tied off and most slack taken off the anchor rode. (For me, my rode would be all chain! )

You up, are a big troublemaker!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-01-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #30
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Here's another thought: Mediterranean Docking off the end of the docks in Wolfeboro or Merideth. Drop the anchor with appropriate scope. Back down toward the dock. Tie off the stern lines with a cross pattern; [/URL]
Have you ever actually sat on a dock in the Med and watched this being done in person??

I have, it requires "all hands on deck" to gently maneuver the boat into it's near impossible slip by "gently pushing off" the boats on either side -- an inordinate number of "fenders" are also employed.

Given the 80/20 rule of seasoned Captains vs rookies -- this style of docking would be a DISASTER on Winni. I have a 3 minute video on my phone that I shot in Nice of just such a docking but can't figure out how to upload.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Have you ever actually sat on a dock in the Med and watched this being done in person??

I have, it requires "all hands on deck" to gently maneuver the boat into it's near impossible slip by "gently pushing off" the boats on either side -- an inordinate number of "fenders" are also employed.

Given the 80/20 rule of seasoned Captains vs rookies -- this style of docking would be a DISASTER on Winni. I have a 3 minute video on my phone that I shot in Nice of just such a docking but can't figure out how to upload.

Have I sat on a dock in person watching in Nice or elsewhere in the Med area? Nope. But I have watched literally dozens of clips. The vast majority of clips show highly professional and proficient captains handling their vessels in all sorts of weather. Some clips are best described as boating fails. Would this style docking work on Winnipesaukee? Not without creating a whole new series of boating fails. Could a competent skipper do it here? Yes. But I am sure it would create more problems than it would solve. Brought up more with tongue in cheek than serious consideration. And yes Tis, sometimes I can stir the pot.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #32
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Exactly what I though, up!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

No boats to push aside at the end of the dock...

I do it all the time at a friend's lake place because his dock is too short for my boat. Not hard at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-02-2016)