Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Birch Is. or Lincoln Is.?

In looking at the chart to see detail about the thread on the Balmoral Canal, I noticed that the canal is not seen because it is covered by an inset. So I looked at an old (1962) Public utilities chart. No inset, but no canal either.
Anyway, on the 1962 chart two islands are shown in the adjacent cove. A larger one named Lincoln and a smaller one with no name on the chart. On the Bizer chart, the larger island appears to be named "Birch" and the smaller one "Lincoln". Is this a change in names or is one of the charts incorrect?

So we have a Birch Island east of Bear Island (in Meredith?) and one in Moultonborough. Is that correct? When was the Moultonborough Birch Is named?

Sometimes, I think I would like to rename some of the Loon Islands and the (4?) Silver Lakes that are scattered around the state.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
ursa minor

I believe these are the two islands right off the Suissevale beach? If so, the smaller one is named Lincoln and the larger of the two is Birch Hill Island.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
I believe these are the two islands right off the Suissevale beach? If so, the smaller one is named Lincoln and the larger of the two is Birch Hill Island.
This is correct, Birch Island is what you see off the Suissevale Beach, Suissevale Ave (so called) was Birch Hill Road, in the original days. The Lincoln Islands are owned by the Lincoln family and are a few smaller islands behind Birch, as seen from the beach.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

The channel is clearly shown on my Bizer chart. Just to the left of Paradise road.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

Thank you all. I see it on the chart now--I was in the wrong cove.
And it appears the old PUC chart wasn't wrong, just incomplete in that the group of islands were named Lincoln. Did that include what you all are now calling Birch HILL island, or was that named at some more recent date? Not a big deal, just curious.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Thank you all. I see it on the chart now--I was in the wrong cove.
And it appears the old PUC chart wasn't wrong, just incomplete in that the group of islands were named Lincoln. Did that include what you all are now calling Birch HILL island, or was that named at some more recent date? Not a big deal, just curious.
I'm going by more of a "local knowledge" thing on the name as we know the family that owns Birch (Hill) Island. If I remember correctly they purchased it from the Lincoln family and they always called it "Birch Hill". It shows as "Birch" on the chart I have on my office wall... Again, these are almost directly off the Suissevale beach, Birch Hill is larger and closer to the mainland and there's a no-wake zone between Birch Hill and Lincoln if that helps to locate them on the chart.