Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
RyanDe

Default New vs Used boat?

I'm assuming boats are worse than cars as far as depreciation so is it ever a good idea to buy new?
RyanDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Rich

They sure are, big time!

Have you won the lottery? Maybe this is one way it is a good idea to buy new.

Used can save you a boatload of money. Even one or two years old can save you a bundle as you probably are aware.

Good luck, have fun!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
8gv

If nobody buys new, there will not be many used boats!

I've done both, often.

Every time it's the best boat I've ever owned.

A screaming deal on new is a great thing.

Warranties are nice but can keep you captive to a factory authorized service center thus causing more down time.

No warranty on a used boat gives you the freedom to repair it yourself.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
DesertDweller

The big advantage to buying new is that you will get exactly what you want (i.e. model, power, options, etc.) You will also have peace of mind with a new warranty and not worrying about what the previous owner did to it. If you can find what you are looking for at a dealer this is a real good time of year to boat shop. Dealer's don't carry the inventory they used to but the one's they have left in inventory now they should be willing to deal on (or sit on it the rest of winter).

With that said, there are plenty of good used boats out there and yes they will be a lot cheaper than a new one. The advantage to buying in the area is that a good chunk of them have never seen salt water. Also, when you buy used you'll likely get some form of electronics, covers, and other things you'll have to buy with a new one.

I would keep an open mind to both (new and used) and see what you come up with.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I think this decision depends on how much you want to "deal with" the boat and how much the money matters.

We picked up our new boat--ordered exactly the way we wanted it--in May and for the next six years we're completely covered under warranty. And, because it was a mutually good deal and we bought it from the marina that we'll be bringing it for service, we get a little bit of preferential treatment--I needed a transponder replaced right after Memorial Day--busiest part of the season--and it was done within a day.

I've said it a bunch on various threads: I'll gladly pay a bit more to get the least frustration and downtime possible.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Rich

It seems like everyone is forgetting that a fairly new boat may have a warranty that may be transferable to a new owner.

Just be sure to check the particular boat's warranty terms to be sure they are transferable to a new owner so you are not surprised. Check it in writing yourself, don't trust was a salesman may tell you.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
MeredithMan

Default New vs. Used....

Hi RyanDe--

Have enjoyed reading your posts as you begin your search for the ideal vaca home and now a boat. Take time to enjoy this process!

Regarding a boat, if you are just getting into boating, (or back into it, if you've been out for a while), I would suggest as others have to go the "gently used" route. There are many, many people who buy a bran' spankin' new boat and then get a couple years into ownership and then realize that they took out a 10, 15, 20 year loan to pay for it....Eek! What the heck did I do??!! Or, their lifestyle changes or there is some major event in their life that causes, (requires), them to dump the boat. This is why you will see many "gently used" boats for sale around the lake.

Just like looking for the house, think about your budget, and what type and size boat you might want. Then, hook up with one of the local reputable marinas, (I highly recommend Kory Keenan at Paugus Bay Marina), and they can help you find what you are looking for.

Best of luck
MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

I think that you recently answered your own question in another thread:

"Thanks! We're leaning towards a used <$15k 21-22ft boat to get us started. We'll use it for a year and see how well it works and probably upgrade/change things up after that. I guess it does matter where we end up, if it's on the east of Bear vs the east of cow that could make a difference as far as what we need to get there".

Now that does look like a good plan, buy the new boat when you know what you want.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe View Post
I'm assuming boats are worse than cars as far as depreciation so is it ever a good idea to buy new?
I think you need to decide first is if boating is going to be a way of life for you or just a passing fad... For my wife and I, it's a way of life. We live on an island every day, all spring, summer and fall, good weather or bad. We travel to from work from the island so we require a dependable safe boat for transportation. We have three boats now all purchased new and all get used for their respective purposes.

If your unsure what kind of water commitment you are going to have, I would look at buying something used from a dependable local area marina. Later on you can always trade in for something bigger or better or newer depending on your commitment level.

I commend you for asking excellent questions!! Your certainly starting off on the right foot!

Good luck in your search!!

Dan
SAB1 (08-29-2016), trfour (08-31-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #10
Woody38

Happy hunting for the right boat. Like starting college whichever school you enter in September will be your first choice. Likewise with the boat. Many different views abound on the subject. Personally I have bought new and used. I'm not sure what difference salt water makes. Been in both fresh and salt. A friend had an outboard used in salt by children waterskiing many years and threw a piston out the side of the outboard. The inside of that engine was clean as a whistle. Also some bought small and upgraded gradually. I preferred to upgrade once. Went from 22' Whaler in salt to 37' Egg Harbor Sportfisher. A few said I should go to 30'. Took the Egg out in a harbor and learned what it could do. No regrets. Now I downgraded.
Enjoy the process and enjoy the new (to you) boat.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Boat new vs used

Over the years we have owned new and used 15' (2);18'; 20'; 26'; 28';30';31';35';24';30; not necessarily in that order, and often two at once. That doesn't count canoes, kayaks and jetskis. No bow-riders, no pontoons. Currently have a 24' & 30' and the kids have a 19'. The point is, Islanders change boats as needs change, often owning multiple boats as Ishoot308 mentions. You need to focus on your island location. Buy cheap, safe, transportation, and the rest will fall into place. Depending on island location, develop a rapport with a dealer/marina. You will need them for the next several decades, and so will your kids.

Overall, your questions are very specific. Good questions, but they don't always reach to the long term. Of course, if the short term isn't resolved , long term won't matter.

I'm an islander because I grew up that way. I can't imagine the questions you have because, to me, that's just the way it is. No big deal.

Find an island location you like, and boats, marinas, etc will all fall into place.
For the original new/used question, find a marina/dealer you like and the rest will fall into place. I mostly buy used, and my dealer (Irwin Marine) knows I'll be back. That's important to them and to me.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've owned boats my entire life, I have yet to find a reason to justify taking a bath on a new one. Plus my first few purchases were learning experiences, took a couple boats before I settled on what worked for me. I think that is pretty typical.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I've owned boats my entire life, I have yet to find a reason to justify taking a bath on a new one. Plus my first few purchases were learning experiences, took a couple boats before I settled on what worked for me. I think that is pretty typical.
Good point--though our current boat was ordered new, that was only after having used our previous one--bought used for a great deal--for a few seasons and figuring out what we really needed.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #14
CaptT820

Default Used

As others have said, this is a complicated question to answer due to all of the factors involved. The biggest factor is economic. If you have a lot of disposable income on hand then a new boat is not a bad idea. If you are not that mechanically inclined, then a new boat is a good idea. If you are the opposite of my previous two statements, then a used boat is a better idea.

Boats do depreciate even faster than cars with one major caveat, they will last as long as you take care of them, cars will not. Boating technology has not changed much since the 1950's unlike cars. Cars have airbags, automatic braking systems, autonomous driving in some cases, etc. all these being new features that people "need" to have. Boats have a specific layout that you will choose, a length, a motor, and are made out of everlasting fiberglass instead of something that will rust (especially fresh water boats).

I have a 1966 StarCraft (bought new) and a 1987 SeaRay bow rider (bought used 15 yrs ago) that both serve me well on the island. A boat is as reliable as the maintenance performed on them. A new boat will break down just as easily as an old one if the maintenance and operation is neglected.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
SIKSUKR

I want to buy my used boats from ishoot.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT820 View Post
Boating technology has not changed much since the 1950's unlike cars.
That could not be further from the truth. While to the casual observer boats haven't really changed much, the power plants have considerably and most of that is due to stupid federal environmental regulations.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamer (09-01-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #17
CaptT820

Default Technology

I was simply pointing out that boating technology on the whole has not changed much when directly compared to cars. The motors have obviously changed a great deal in both cases. A car of the early 1950's has very little in common with a modern car besides the 4 wheels it rides on. Boats have had to adapt to modern engine requirements as cars have as well due to federal regulations. We could start a whole other discussion on whether or not the regulations are necessary, but I don't want to go there.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote